• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dredcor

Second Lieutenant
73 Badges
Oct 26, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Magicka 2
  • Magicka 2 - Signup Campaign
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Divine Wind
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
Rulers of Neapolis

1. Doux Gregorios Spartenos:
wzLv5VL.png

2. Doux Alexandros Spartenos:
cVkTlOG.png

3. Doux Pamphilios Spartenos:
pHWHEqN.png

4. Despot Alexandros Spartenos:
6WHrRNh.png

Table of Contents

1 January, 867 - 11 May, 870
12 May, 870 - 21 November, 875
22 November, 875 - 3 January, 880
4 January, 880 - 17 October, 885
18 November, 885 - 30 August, 891
31 August, 891 - 24 December, 897
25 December, 897 - 1 June, 903
2 June, 903 - 23 August, 915
24 August, 915 - 8 January, 931
9 January, 931 - 27 October, 943

1 January, 867
I am Count Gregorios Spartenos of Neapolis. I am writing this now, because I am planning to attack the Republic of Amalfi. Even as I write this, Athanasios, my half-brother and magistros, is in Amalfi, searching for some obscure document to give me a claim on their lands. Marinos, the Doge of Amalfi, has never done me any wrong, but with Italy to our west and the Byzantines to our east, Neapolis must gain power, or the men of our land will fall before the giants, leaving me and my family, dead or homeless. There are a hundred ways this could go wrong, and if it does, then I can only hope that this record of events survives.

5 January, 867
To give us temporary safety from Italy, I have agreed to marry the king's daughter, Gisele, when she comes of age. She is Catholic, and our family Orthodox, but I am sure that showing her the truth of our beliefs will be very easy.

16 January, 867
Today, my son, Sergios Spartenos, told me that he wished to marry a Catalan woman named Sesenanda de Barcelona, from the county of Rosello. Although I am reluctant to bring more Catholic women into our family, I will allow my son to do as he pleases. Hopefully if my plans to attack Amalfi fail, we can flee to Aquitaine when they retaliate.

1 July, 867
What is taking Athanasios so long?! It has already been six months and I have had no word from him!

15 October, 867
Word has reached me that the pagan tribes of the Magyar Nomads have created a kingdom North of Bulgaria. It is yet another giant for men to hide from.

1 January, 868
One year with no news from Athanasios. I am beginning to worry that he won't be able to find a claim for us.

18 March, 868
Finally, I receive some good news! My son has been blessed with a child, a boy, who he has named Theophilos! This calls for a celebration!

2 August, 868
A handful of dukes in Italy have rebelled against their king. I am thankful that Gisele has yet to come of age. If I was already married to her, the king might have requested I help him quell the rebellion.

1 January, 869
Today, Gisele came of age. We are currently arranging the ceremony and we should be married before the end of the month. Rebellion is still thriving in Italy.

15 January, 869
I received a letter from Athanasios today. He still hasn't found any documents to build a claim on, but he hasn't been caught yet, either. I think I will ask that he send reports to me more often.

19 January, 869
As I feared, today I received a call to arms from King Louis II of Italy. I fear retaliation from him, more than I fear those rebelling against him, so I will agree to join the war. I pray that Neapolis survives.

21 November, 869
Finally! Athanasios has come through for me, at last! He found a few letters of inheritance and forged the Spartenos name onto them. I will do anything in order to take Amalfi. I already have a few contracts written up with mercenaries.

24 December, 869
And so the war begins.

5 January, 870
My coffers are slowly being drained by the armies of mercenaries I have hired, I cannot continue this war for long. Thankfully, King Louis had agreed to join my war to claim Amalfi. Hopefully his assistance will keep the war short.

11 May, 870
The war has ended and I am now Count of Amalfi! They certainly put up a fight, but they could not match the mercenaries that I hired. King Louis, still being kept busy by the rebellions, didn't help much, but I was, thankfully, able to finish the siege of Amalfi's capital before my coffers ran dry. With Amalfi gone, there is one less threat to my family. I must continue to conquer the surrounding counties if I am to survive. I will consolidate my power, then target Capua. I will also have to reward Athanasios for his work in Amalfi, somehow. Once the rebellions in Italy end, and we are at peace again, I think I will go on a pilgrimage.

Attachments

• ck2_68.png
    ck2_68.png
    772,3 KB · Views: 76
  • iMD93dH.png
    iMD93dH.png
    389,1 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Hello! I'm me and this is my first AAR. I like writing a bit, though I generally only write fantasy. I thought this would be a challenge and a good learning experience, so if anyone has any tips, advice, criticism, or anything else useful, I'd appreciate hearing it. Oh, and I won't be using a lot of pictures, because I always forget to take screenshots while I'm playing.

22 July, 870
My ecclesiarch, Bishop Isaias, came to me today and preached to me the merits of the heresy known as Iconoclasm. I think I’ll throw the heretic in prison.

22 September, 870
Since I imprisoned Isaias, I have not been able to find a suitable replacement. I may need to search in foreign countries, as I am afraid that if the position remains empty for too long, that my counties’ religious affairs will suffer.

17 November, 870
Isaias still refuses to listen to reason, so I revoked his Bishopric. I’ll grant the newly vacant land to Athanasios as a reward for his good work.

20 December, 870
I just received word that the Byzantine Empire is on the verge of collapse. Most of their vassals have rebelled and a large amount of their remaining holdings are under siege. Is it possible that the two greatest threats to Neapolis’ survival will fall?

8 April, 872
It has been a few years, since I last wrote an entry. Athanasios is still attempting to find an appropriate document to forge, so we can gain a claim on Capua. I think having a Bishopric has made him lazy. Also, the Byzantine civil war ended. Sadly, it remains mostly intact, and very much a threat.

7 July, 872
The Italian civil war continues to rage. I have intervened in a few battles, but for the most part, I do not have enough troops to make a difference. The rebels are beginning to push King Louis back, taking his lands and decimating his armies. It is very likely that Italy shall have a new ruler soon.

2 June, 873
Gisele is with child! Gisele very much wants it to be a girl. I wouldn’t mind, as I already have three sons and two grandsons to watch over Neapolis, when I am gone.

4 July, 873
Athanasios has come through for me, once again! I now have a claim on Capua. This war should be simple and fast. The little girl who rules Capua, Anastasia di Capua, is barely old enough to talk, and her regent knows nothing of war! I will rally the troops immediately.

3 January, 874
My son was born today. I am worried for him though, he was born sickly and the doctor says he might not survive. I named him Alexandros, in the hopes that he would be as strong as Alexandros ho Megas (Alexander the Great), and beat his illness.

7 March, 874
My soldiers, and the small army of mercenaries that I hired, forced Anastasia’s regent to surrender today. With this, Capua is mine and Neapolis’ strength and resilience increases again!

25 August, 874
Alexandros fought off his illness. I knew he had it in him.

1 January, 875
The rebellion in Italy has very nearly overthrown King Louis. At the very least, this will keep him from calling me into wars in the future. I seem to have caught a bad cold today. It probably won’t last too long.

3 January, 875
I was right. A couple days of rest and I have recovered from the cold.

30 August, 875
Today, I have decided to replace my incompetent mystikos, Mayor Symeon, with a Jewish man that arrived at my court during the invasion of Amalfi. He is very skilled at intrigue, and though he isn’t loyal to me, at the moment, every man has a price.

21 November, 875
Today, Duke Guaifer of Salerno declared war on me! Apparently, he wants Amalfi. He has some silly “de jure” claim on it. I shall show him that Neapolis is not one for him to offend! Salerno shall fall!

6 December, 876
I am nearing the end of the war against Salerno. Sieging their capitol is a taking much longer than I had hoped. Though, there is good news. I found an ecclesiarch to replace that foolish heretic. His name is Hierotheos, and he is the bishop of Ravello.

19 December, 876
The civil war in Italy finally ended. King Pepin II now rules all of Italy. I’m just glad it’s over. Once I finish the war with Salerno, I can go on that pilgrimage.

25 July, 877
Very suddenly today, I learned that King Boris of Bulgaria decided to help Salerno in their conquest of Amalfi. His troops are currently sieging Amalfi and there is no way my troops can defeat them. I don’t have enough money to hire mercenaries either. My only option is to finish sieging Castellaneta, and have Guaifer agree to a White Peace, before they finish sieging Amalfi.

5 September, 877
The Bulgarian troops just killed most of my army. There is no option other than surrender. I have lost Amalfi.

11 September, 877
Guaifer officially accepted my surrender. As he has Bulgaria as an ally, I’ll need to choose another invasion target. I must regain what I lost in this war. But first, I must go on a pilgrimage. I have been waiting for years, and if I wait any longer, I may lose any chance of doing it.

10 November, 877
Today I arrived back from my pilgrimage to Constantinople. It was marvelous! I feel enlightened and refreshed. I hope that I will be able to visit there again, some day. But that is for another day. For now, I need to replenish my coffers and decide my next target.

3 July, 878
Today, a new rebellion started in Italy. This time, King Louis is attempting to reclaim the throne. He sent me a call to arms, and, though it shames me, and he will hate me for it, I must refuse it. Neapolis’ current condition is terrible, and I can’t say that it would survive a war.

2 October, 878
Revenge will soon be mine! Duke Guaifer died last month. At that moment, not just his life ended, but also Salerno’s alliance with Bulgaria! They’re still weak from the war, and the current duke is just a child. I must begin preparing immediately.

5 November, 878
Athanasios came through for me once again. He forged a claim on Salerno, for me. He really is a wonderful magistros.

22 December, 878
I ransomed two prisoners today. I collected a good portion for my military fund, but I still need a little more if I am to conquer Salerno.

7 March, 879
I declared war on Salerno. I have once again hired mercenaries to hurry the war along. My side is 2,000 men strong, while they have a measly 200. This should end quickly.

14 May, 879
We finished off the last stragglers of Salerno’s army today. Now, it’s just a matter of time before I have Amalfi back in my hands, along with their capitol of Salerno.

1 October, 879
Today we occupy the city of Amalfi. Sadly, sieging the rest of the cities must wait, because they have decided to put up a pitiable resistance, by rallying a few troops from their county, Taranto. I will have to chase them down, further prolonging the war. They are only delaying the inevitable.

30 November, 879
What a pleasant surprise! After we squashed the last pieces of their meager resistance, Duke Guaifer II, or rather his regent, surrendered to us! Amalfi and Salerno are mine! Guaifer’s dynasty no longer poses any threat to me. Now that my lands are secured, and I am a duke, I think I will rest. I still need to appoint my heir.

3 January, 880
Alexandros is old enough for lessons now. I have decided to teach him myself, as I have no wars to attend to. Perhaps, I can groom him to be my heir.

Last edited:
I like it. Are you going to keep Neapolis as your capital, or groom Amalfi into the finest city in southern Italy?
Thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying it. I'll probably keep Neapolis as my capital, unless one of my future heirs finds Neapolis displeasurable for some reason. Who knows? I might get an insane ruler who decides it's a good idea to take Rome and make it our capitol.

SM380EU.png

8TqQov6.png

21 November, 881
For the past six months my three eldest sons have been begging me for “more responsibility”, or some such idiocy. To appease them, I gave each of them a landed title. Sergios is Lord Mayor of the Grand City of Amalfi. Athanasios (my son, not my half-brother, the magistros) is the Count of the Barony of Gaeta. And Stephanos is the Count of the Barony of Salerno. This should keep them happy. Athanasios and Stephanos don’t even have children, so the lands should fall to my heir, Alexandros when they die anyway. Ah, yes, I did decide to appoint Alexandros as my heir last month. He has been growing on me lately. He reminds me of myself when I was a child.

20 July, 882
In a sad turn of events last month, my wife was cursed with the Great Pox plague. I refrained from writing about it, and instead prayed to God. However, he did not answer. Gisele died tonight. I am beginning to lose faith.

2 August, 882
I am marrying Gisela, the daughter of King Lothaire II of Lotharingia. Even if I wish to mourn my wife longer, I must think of my family. This will bring temporary protection to us, as we will have an alliance with King Lothaire II.

4 November, 882
My half-brother, and magistros, Athanasios, died today. This saddens me as he was a loyal and trustworthy subject. Such good men are harder to find than I would hope.

11 December, 882
The Second Italian Civil War ended at the start of the year. I did not hear of it until now, because my ally, and source of news from Italy, Louis, was imprisoned in King Pepin’s dungeon, after his rebellion. Soon after the end of Louis’ rebellion, Duke Lambert of Spoleto decided it was an excellent time for another civil war. Italy seems to be embroiled in never ending strife.

16 December, 882
My new wife, Gisela, is pregnant. I almost wish it was a girl this time. Dealing with all of all my sons trying to convince me that they should be my heir is giving me quite a headache.

17 July, 883
Gisela gave went into labor today, giving birth to Eudokia, my first daughter. She is, rather unfortunately, not the most pleasant to look at. I suggested giving her to a servant, but Gisela refused immediately. I’ll let her stay for now, but if she shames our family, I will have her banished.

15 February, 884
Gisela is once again pregnant. It seems I picked a very fertile wife. I also received news that the Byzantines are defending, rather unsuccessfully, against the Muslims of the Abbasid Empire. I am not sure whether to rejoice that the Byzantines are weakened, or lament the fact that the greatest bastion of my faith is under attack.

17 September, 884
Gisela gave birth to her second child today, this time healthy, and better looking than the last. It’s a boy and his name is Eirenaios. He doesn’t look like much now, but I am sure he will grow up to be an invaluable advisor for Alexandros.

16 November, 884
Gisela died after a bout of illness. I was not particularly close to her, so I don’t feel much sadness. I think I have enough children. I will marry an older woman next. Someone I can peacefully live out the rest of my days with.

EkXG7ws.png

2 December, 884
As I previously wrote, I searched for an older woman, one befitting a duke, to marry, and I found one in Verona. She is a German, by the name of Heylwig Unruochinger. She is quite pleasant to speak to, as well as looking very good for her age.

25 February, 885
Alexandros is growing up so fast. He’s already 11 years-old, and halfway through his studies. He is so inquisitive and diligent in his studies. I am sure that he will lead Neapolis, safely, into the future.

17 October, 885
The Byzantine Empire just lost Greece to the Abbasid Empire. This is a stain on their honor that will take a very long time to remove. Since even the Byzantines lost to the Abbasid, I have no idea who will be able to stop their march to the west.

P2Cahgx.png

(Some screenshots, as requested. ;) )

Wow thats a lot of provinces Abassids conquered from Byzantines :O
Even capital of Romanion fell to them. I cant wait for next chapter to see
how Abassid conquest of Byzantia will proceed. :)

Looks like the Byzzies won't be around much longer lol :) Nice AAR you got going here.

Thanks, compliments are always appreciated. ;) And yeah, the Byzantine Empire isn't doing well at all. I was kinda hoping they'd stick around long enough for me to take them out, when I (inevitably) become an empire, but I suppose I can destroy the Abbasid Empire instead. :cool:

EXtZd0V.png

13 November, 885
The Pope of the Catholic Church just called for a Crusade to take Greece back from the Muslims. This is good news, I suppose. Perhaps the Catholic Church is not as bad as I thought.

15 June, 886
I feel terrible. I’ve been doing nothing, but coughing for the past few days. Hopefully this will blow over soon. I still have much to teach Alexandros.

2 December, 886
My third son, Stephanos, died today. I am saddened by his passing. Even though I complained about him often, I did love him. I would give my own life if it would bring him back, but alas, it will not. God’s will cannot be bent by the likes of me.

15 June, 887
The Catholic nations are so far winning the war against the Muslims. Of course, one slip and they could end up being defeated, just as the Byzantine Empire was. There’s nothing I can do, but wait and pray.

29 October, 887
The never ending coughing has finally left me. God has seen fit to give me a little longer in this world. I will use the time wisely. I will start, by peering at the Catholic Church’s beliefs. They might not be as bad as I thought……

3 March, 888
Today is the day that the Catholic Church announced the success of their crusade for Greece. I have been told that all of Greece has been awarded to the holy order, The Knights Hospitaller, by the Pope. It does seem as though an order of knights pledged to defend the Catholic faith would be most effective in stopping future advances made by the Muslims.

rYDHWtp.png
YUzVjVN.png

2SgqlKj.png

5 June, 889
I know my life could end any day now. I have lived a long and fulfilling life, and have very few regrets. However, I do have one, rather annoying, regret, and as I wish to rest peacefully in my grave, I will end the regret. I will take Count Guaifer’s last county, and reduce his family legacy to rubble.

30 November, 889
My final war begins now.

3 January, 890
Alexandros came of age today. As he is now a man, I will send him with my army to lead. He needs experience.

3wsubtH.png

17 February, 890
The first battle of the war ended today. Alexandros seems a little shaken, but he did very well today. If he continues to do this well, he will lead Neapolis to greatness.

31 October, 890
King Karlmann, King of Bavaria, and father to Alexandros’ wife, Romilda, has asked me to join his war, as he is attempting to defend his newly conquered Italy, against Duke Pepin, the previous King of Italy. I agreed to help him, though I am not sure how much I can do.

7 November, 890
Romilda has just given birth to the first of Alexandros’ children, Kyra! Even though Kyra is a girl, I am proud of my son. He has grown up so much.

11 December, 890
My grudge against Guaifer’s family has been settled. They are my lowly vassals, and I am happy.

mur2zpy.png

12 June, 891
Eudokia, my one and only daughter, died today. If Gisela was still alive, she would be distraught. Apparently, women in my family are doomed to die young.

17 August, 891
My spymaster told me that Alexandros is hatching a plot to kill of Theophilos, my grandson, son of Sergios. I spoke to Alexandros, and he told me that he is doing it, because Theophilos insulted him in front of his court. I told him that family is family, no matter what they do, and we do not harm family. I hope he took my words to heart.

098Z90C.png

30 August, 891
Sergios, my first son, and Lord Mayor of Amalfi, died today. This is a sad day indeed.

AgAiHSS.png

13 May, 892
Duke Pepin died today, ending his war against King Karlmann. This is good news, as it means Italy is relatively peaceful again.

6 December, 892
Romilda, Alexandros’ wife, died today. He is distraught, as they were quite in love. I have told him he needs to remarry, but he is quite against it. Nonetheless, married he will be. It is for the good of the whole family.

7 December, 892
Why are these infidels, so ignorant? A count, Sheikh Agwillul, declared war on me today. A single count! He has no allies, and though his nearly as large as mine, I have a strong ally in Bavaria. This man is either an idiot, or insane.

qkoIpM0.png

12 April, 893
I am writing this after two very embarrassing defeats at the hands of both heretics and infidels. Just as I was passing through the neighboring county of Kroton, an Iconoclast rebellion started. Their peasant soldiers somehow tore my trained meant apart. Afterwards, we were forced into a retreat, aimed directly at the army of the infidels. They nearly took apart what little remained of my army. After this turn of events, it appears that I will have to, once again, hire mercenaries.

GyPoUJX.png

22 June, 893
I sent the mercenaries, by boat, directly to the enemy’s lands. What remains of my army will meet them there. Hopefully this is enough to recover from my horrible mistake.

14 November, 893
This is unacceptable! Athanasios, my son, to who I gifted the county of Geata, is planning to kill my heir, Alexandros! If Athanasios does not cease his betrayal this moment, I will have him thrown into the dungeon!

18 November, 893
Thankfully, Athanasios saw reason. I do not wish to harm any of my family, but if they were to choose to betray me, I would have no other choice.

18 April, 894
The war against the infidels continues, but I am slowly winning. I just hope this ends before my treasury is empty again. Mercenaries are very expensive.

25 September, 894
The war against the infidels is finally over, and I, obviously, won. It was quite easy, and I expect they won’t be messing with me again, for quite a while.

23 December, 894
Alexandros finally remarried. It is some woman named Elaiodora. Hopefully she proves useful to him.

8 February, 896
Not much is happening these days. I suppose that is good, because at the age of 70, I’m not sure how much excitement I can take. Ahhh, but how I miss the days of excitement. Things get so boring when I’m just sitting around all day.

13 April, 896
My son, and heir, Alexandros, has finally had a son! I traveled to his estate to congratulate him personally, and I even threw a party.

1 August, 896
Excitement has returned to the realm. However, it is in the worst way possible. My son, Athanasios, has demanded that I make him heir my heir. He has threatened me with force, if I do not comply. He has even turned Lord Mayor Eusebios of Amalfi, against me. I have suffered Athanasios’ greed too long. I will put down his rebellion and lock him away in my dungeon. Perhaps that will teach him a lesson.

6 December, 897
After I captured Athanasios’ capital, Teano, and the city of Amalfi, Athanasios sent me the terms of his surrender, and I quite like them. I have to get rid of Athanasios, and his ally, for the future safety of my realm, but I do not wish to kill him. Banishing him seems the next best alternative. However, Eusebios will be executed.

24 December, 897
I have been told by my spymaster, that after his banishment from my lands, Athansios fled to a small county in the Byzantine Empire. I hope he can live happily there.