• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Luffy07

Second Lieutenant
73 Badges
Jul 7, 2012
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings III
Hello everybody,
I just completed a WC on Ironman as the Wendish Empire. At some point I usurped the Byzantine Empire (lucky that it was already on elective) but I kept the Wendish Empire as primary title. When I reformed the Roman Empire (damned achivemets) everything that had de jure drifted to the Wendish Empire went roman but the stuff that was drifting was still drifting towards Wendish... So now the de Jure map looks like this: every kingdoms on the map are drifting to Wendish Empire, everything that was Wendish Empire is now Roman Empire ... and Byzantine empire is still there. I'm still in 1336, so I technically still have time to make everything drift into a single and pretty empire. What should I do? Destroy the roman Empire and wait for what had already drifted to do it again?
Thanks

I think that's all you can do.

I'm having similar issues in my Roman Empire game. I have drifted most of the map into the empire. But I'm having funny stuff happen in the Arabian Peninsula, where the Shia Caliphate had drifted Abyssinia, Nubia, most of Arabia, and a large portion of Persia into Mesopotamia. I'm trying pry it apart now and reestablish the now titular Kingdoms of Nubia and Abyssinia. as well as reconstitute Arabia and trim Mesopotamia back to it's original de jure territory.

It's confusing, but I got a little preview when I had to drift Valencia and Beja backi into Aragon and Portugal, respectively, from Andalusia. The Byzantine ducal revokation perk is priceless. The problem is that you can't transfer non-de jure dukes to kings, it seems. So I repeatedly had to revoke a newly independent dukes title and regrant it to the king. Over and over and over. It took over 200 years to drift Beja back into Portugal. Gah. I'm hoping that, if I don't create Mesopotamia, things should go more smoothly this time. But already, there's weirdness with the duke->kingdom drift vs. kingdom->empire drift.

Some of these things will continue to elude me forever, I fear.

And do you know what will happen if I destroy the Wendish Empire? Do all previous progress resets or do I need to wait for the progress towards Wendish to tick backwards to begin drifting to roman? Since there is no more de jure kingdoms to the empire I won't get any opinion modifier so I would rather go that way...

And do you know what will happen if I destroy the Wendish Empire? Do all previous progress resets or do I need to wait for the progress towards Wendish to tick backwards to begin drifting to roman? Since there is no more de jure kingdoms to the empire I won't get any opinion modifier so I would rather go that way...

I'm pretty sure it'll have to tick back before it starts drifting into the Roman Empire.

But, as I said above, I am a bit vexed by the du jure drift mechanics.

Looks like we're on a similar timeline. I'm in 1318 and I am on the verge of wc. I just "inherited" Carpathia (kill, kILl, KILL). So all that's left is Cumania (- Sarkel), the two little kingdoms east of the Black Sea, and the Shia Caliphate (Mesopotamia/Persia). But I have enough de jure territory to usurp Mesopotamia, which will utterly destroy Islam. I figure two decades of relentless holy wars should get me the rest of the map.

I incorrectly thought that the Timurids would arrive earlier than they do, so the plans for the eastern imperial expansion were, foolishly, put on hold for a generation. I was leaving spongy areas to bait the hordes into easy to attack regions. But I should have been drifting them into the empire the whole time. Anyway, there are over 40 dejure kingdoms in my Empire now. Very satisfying.

Good luck. Though, clearly, you don't need it.

I don't know it this addresses your exact issue: But since de jure drift takes place over the course of many years, it uses a count up/down timer by year. Which means that if the drift direction (Empire/Kingdom) changes, it does *not* instantly change everything. If something was held for a long time, it will take a long time for that countdown timer to go back down.

For example, as a game where I formed the Empire of Scandinavia (plus Kingdom of Ireland), I then formed the Wendish Empire (keeping Scandinavia as my primary), but when I finally got the Byzantine Empire, I changed my primary to Byzantine:

- There were several regions in Anatolia that still showed as "drifting into Persia" for a long time after I conquered them.

- The Kingdoms of Serbia and Ireland had been steadily drifting towards Scandinavia. When changing my primary empire, it took several years before they started to drift back (in the case of Serbia) or to Byzantium (for Ireland).

On a side note, one weird thing that happened was that before I got Byzantium (when I was just Scandinavia + Ireland + Wendish -> I held all the Kingdom and Empire titles), I had controlled the Kingdom of Serbia for a long time (drifting towards Scandinavia) and I also controlled the Duchy of Dyrrachion, which was held by a vassal double duke (Dyrrachion + an Irish duchy). For some reason Dyrrachion was steadily drifting towards the Kingdom of Ireland, or all things. Still not really sure why it chose Ireland. Ah well....

It's confusing, but I got a little preview when I had to drift Valencia and Beja backi into Aragon and Portugal, respectively, from Andalusia. The Byzantine ducal revokation perk is priceless. The problem is that you can't transfer non-de jure dukes to kings, it seems. So I repeatedly had to revoke a newly independent dukes title and regrant it to the king. Over and over and over. It took over 200 years to drift Beja back into Portugal. Gah. I'm hoping that, if I don't create Mesopotamia, things should go more smoothly this time. But already, there's weirdness with the duke->kingdom drift vs. kingdom->empire drift.

Yes, Byzantine duchy revocation and vassal retraction is probably the strongest advantage to Byzantium and the main reason why I change my primary Empire title to Byzantium, if given the option.

If you don't have that option, one thing that I did (when I couldn't freely revoke Duchies): was grant Duchy or County titles in far away places. These secondary titles are eligible for "Plot to Revoke" options. Normally, when you manually "revoke a title," I find it very rare that the vassal objects. But when I revoke a title through plots, the vast majority of the time it will be refused (even if it is a two province count flouting a multi-empire liege!). If/when the vassal refuses, you declare war and if successful, the title is revoked (gain 1 Intrigue), and the vassal is labeled a traitor, allowing you to imprison him and revoke the title you really wanted (including a primary duchy). It's all very roundabout, but I found it helpful in juggling around titles and keeping my vassals weak, before I had the luxury of Byzantine revocation.

On a side note, one weird thing that happened was that before I got Byzantium (when I was just Scandinavia + Ireland + Wendish -> I held all the Kingdom and Empire titles), I had controlled the Kingdom of Serbia for a long time (drifting towards Scandinavia) and I also controlled the Duchy of Dyrrachion, which was held by a vassal double duke (Dyrrachion + an Irish duchy). For some reason Dyrrachion was steadily drifting towards the Kingdom of Ireland, or all things. Still not really sure why it chose Ireland. Ah well....

haha. This is what I mean about the elusive nature of the drifting mechanics. Who knows? haha

Thank you for your input, I feared that it would need to decrease .. I'll make a non ironman test to see how it goes.
I also though the timourid would have attacked by now... I stacked 260K retinue in Persia for nothing :D Also I noticed that the truce breaking applies only once you can't lose more than 5 diplo... I may or may not have abused this change to conquer the byzantine empire...

For the revocation stuff: as a catholic just ask your (anti)pope to excommunicate, then imprison/release until he rebels... gamey tactics for the win :D

Thank you for your input, I feared that it would need to decrease .. I'll make a non ironman test to see how it goes.
I also though the timourid would have attacked by now... I stacked 260K retinue in Persia for nothing :D Also I noticed that the truce breaking applies only once you can't lose more than 5 diplo... I may or may not have abused this change to conquer the byzantine empire...

For the revocation stuff: as a catholic just ask your (anti)pope to excommunicate, then imprison/release until he rebels... gamey tactics for the win :D

I don't normally break truces so I can't say about whether the diplomacy penalties stack.

However, I can say that each truce breaking causes you to lose half your prestige, which IMHO is one of the bigger penalties for breaking truces. (Though it can also be used as a gamey tactic to get your prestige low enough so you can choose the Exalted Above All Men ambition).

The prestige isn't a big deal when you keep a rebel army someplace for the opinion boost :D

Just checked and yes it will decrease by 2 points per year so ... destroy the roman empire to keep my primary wendish otherwise it will never drift to the Roman Empire. I would have loved to know that it would transfer the de jure kingdoms from my primary title to the roman empire and not the byzantine de jure kingdoms