• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess this is inevitable, and though I might not like it, I can see why Paradox did it. They are a business, and they have to say in the black; and they have done a very responsible thing by making this as easy as possible. I appreciate it, and thank you; long may Paradox reign :).

I don't know what's going on that you've had to reinstall, but I can say that for CK2 you install mods in the documents folder, so where the game itself is installed is completely irrelevant for using mods.

Two separate issues. If you are curious, you can read about the install directory here and Steam Workshop here.

Hi.

Here is what we are going to try to do, if all technical issues works out well..

As the non-steam version is taking way too much time in maintaining, as well as holding us back from adding more functionality, like decent multiplayer, we want to progress away from that version.

We will stop updating the Gamersgate version, and provide those that bought the game there steamkeys for their ck2 games and dlc, so they can get everything in their steam-library instead.

Please understand that this is utterly useless to me, as I do not have a Steam account, and I will not install Steam's invasive, useless crapware on my computer.

This appears to be where I stop updating the game, buying new content, etc.

Also, by contributing marketing data, I am reducing the amount of unwanted ads I receive by letting them cater the advertisements toward my personal preferences. It's a win win. I get fewer ads for things I don't want, and Steam gets more efficient marketing.

Exactly what is so wrong about Steam being better able to market to me? I'd like to know about services or products that are interesting to me, and not stuff I'll never use. It's far better than the standard approach of trying to convince everyone to buy everything, both for me as a consumer and them as a company.

The better approach is to let me buy the game, install the game, manage the game, and play the game, without having to put up with Valve's bull(crap) and ads.

If I had a time machine, I'd go back and chrono-abort every idiot who ever came up with the idea that customers should have to install download managers, spyware, and 3rd-party bloatware, just to purchase and use a software product.

Thanks, Johann. This is an amazingly generous offer; I was really struggling to figure out what to do in terms of DLC. I can only hope it's done soon; especially since now I feel like an idiot for buying all the new Sons of Abraham DLC.

Please understand that this is utterly useless to me, as I do not have a Steam account, and I will not install Steam's invasive, useless crapware on my computer.

This appears to be where I stop updating the game, buying new content, etc.

So basically, you're completely unfamiliar with the most basic functions, settings, and status of Steam. Since that's the only way you could possibly justify reacting like this.

Good to know.

If I had a time machine, I'd go back and chrono-abort every idiot who ever came up with the idea that customers should have to install download managers, spyware, and 3rd-party bloatware, just to purchase and use a software product.

A) Abortion joke, very tasteful and witty. Surely you have elevated the discussion.

B) It sure is a good thing that I've never had to install any bloatware or spyware on my computer to use Steam, or else, I might not actually like it!

To be clear, there WAS a time when Steam was little more than a resource hogging bit of unnecessary bloatware. It was from about 2004-2006. Valve got things together darn well after that, and personally, I think my computer can afford the 0.02% of its CPU and 300 meg of RAM (both values pulled from my resource monitor just now) in exchange for 75%+ off discounts on interesting games every week or so, the ability to use a chat client that's seamlessly integrated with my games, and organization of my digital game library. That's to say nothing of conveniences like a unified account for multiplayer games, instead of having a different login for each, the Steam workshop allowing easy access to user generated content for a number of games (most of the time...), and the (currently in beta) family sharing program which lets people on different computers play a game that's on your account, as long as you aren't currently playing it -- the full game, mind you, no restrictions. Also, cloud saving, which lets you save your game anywhere, and load and play the same game on any other computer that you login to your account on -- or, alternatively, just save to the cloud to not take up space on your hard drive.

Incidentally, fun fact: you can avoid ads entirely on Steam. It's the truth. Set your library as your home page (so that steam doesn't load to the storefront when you run it), and turn off "Notify me about additions to my games, or upcoming releases" in the settings bar. Both of those are easily accessed options, with no hoops to jump through.

...Mind, by choosing not to look at the storefront, you miss out on things like Mark of the Ninja for 80% off, but hey, it's your call. No ads.

Something to keep in mind before you call me a blinded Steam fanboy, a drone, or whatever new term it is you people are coming up with these days: Everything I have posted is a very easily verifiable fact, with a minimum of Googling. Heck, a minimum of Googling might even dispel your worries about privacy invasion...if you're not too paranoid to use Google because they might save your search history and sell it.

Last edited:
There's no use in engaging the anti-Steam crowd; from what I can see, they tend toward knee-jerk internet grognard reactionaryism, and don't know much of anything about Steam in the first place, between comparisons to Facebook and talk of "advertising" and malware.

The move to Steam is Paradox's only move. When 49/50 of their users are on the one platform, while only 1/50 use the other, the obvious move is to drop support for the statistically negligible platform and standardize their updates and deployment.

And I'm somebody who's bought almost all of my Paradox titles through GamersGate. I liked having a couple games outside of Steam to play while I had Steam downloading/updating, but I completely understand the need to get everyone on the same page. Frankly, I'm thrilled that Steam worked out for Paradox as well as it did. The company is thriving because of Steam, and we all have to keep that in mind.

The better approach is to let me buy the game, install the game, manage the game, and play the game, without having to put up with Valve's bull(crap) and ads.

And the good news there is YOU STILL CAN. Just don't expect developer support. That's all.

Reality has called, and it's offered you an opportunity to get with the times. You have apparently declined that call. Which is fine. Many great historical figures and civilizations stuck to outdated traditions and suffered a long and agonizing defeat, languishing in the bygone good ol' days, such as the French Knights against English longbowmen at Agincourt and the Spartans with their heavy bronze tube monies.

Help me to understand, please: that means that I will not be able to install updates on my GG version, or that if I do I will not be able to enjoy the multiplayer enhancements? I am asking because I couldn't care less about multiplayer and I don't know what's the difference between the GG and Steam versions. I mean, the exe and folder structure is not the same between the twos?

Help me to understand, please: that means that I will not be able to install updates on my GG version, or that if I do I will not be able to enjoy the multiplayer enhancements? I am asking because I couldn't care less about multiplayer and I don't know what's the difference between the GG and Steam versions. I mean, the exe and folder structure is not the same between the twos?

It just means that no more patches or DLC will come for the GG version in the future. You wont have new stuff essentially. You're given the steam version which will receive new patches and DLC.

It just means that no more patches or DLC will come for the GG version in the future. You wont have new stuff essentially. You're given the steam version which will receive new patches and DLC.

And if you like, you'll only ever have to launch steam to download patches or new dlc.

Like many other people here.. I'm curious how this will work. I mean I'm fairly sure I've cleared out the receipts from Gamersgate

Do not spread this, please. It does not automatically update the game, but it still does when you start it up. It's not made to preserve a certain game version - just to avoid Steam downloading patches (and occupying band) for games you are not interested in, which could be useful for worse connection.
It's even worse when you want to go back to an earlier version of the game. Can't do that with Steam.

I still don't understand what that Steam is... Is it a program? Do my computer need to be special? Should I have a user or how does it work? I have only heard people complain about it in here, so I don't understand why Paradox just cancel Steam and let everyone use GamersGate?
And what about all those BlueCoins one might have bought for upcoming dlc's in GamersGate? Are they just wasted? WTF!

Will there be any chance of RAR updates for the Steam Version for offline updating?

As it'd be identical files on an identical version, it shouldnt require any dev time or testing or anything right?

And what about all those BlueCoins one might have bought for upcoming dlc's in GamersGate? Are they just wasted? WTF!

Presumably, the Steam versions of future DLCs will be sold on GG
As EUIV's are so your bluecoins are safe.

It's even worse when you want to go back to an earlier version of the game. Can't do that with Steam.

Its been said you can by using the same function as BETA patches are gotten by

Like many other people here.. I'm curious how this will work. I mean I'm fairly sure I've cleared out the receipts from Gamersgate

If GG handles it, they have a list of all the DLC you have in your GG library.

By the way, since presumably the Gamersgate-compatible DLC will stop being sold and replaced with Steam-only keys when you make this switchover, please make certain that people are warned about this (so they do not lose the chance to buy any DLCs they might have been waiting on a sale for before they become permanently unpurchaseable), and please also encourage Gamersgate (to be the best of your ability) to make it clear that the DLC will not work for the no-longer-supported Gamersgate version of the game so that mistaken future purchases are less likely to be made.

Also, it would be great if at least the current patch could be released before this switchover so that those of us without interest in switching to Steam could be left with a less problematically buggy version of the game.

If GG handles it, they have a list of all the DLC you have in your GG library.

Yeah well I bought all of them with the exception of three through the ingame store.. i mean the only thing that there's a log of my purches is the blue coins.. I checked a few moments ago

I'll guess we'll see..
But overall I'm fairly happy with this.. I was planning to move over to steam anyway.

Last edited:
Its been said you can by using the same function as BETA patches are gotten by
I don't think you can get CK2 on Steam, d/l it and than play in version, let's say, 1.6

Status
Not open for further replies.