• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

cybrxkhan

Going to Scarborough Fair
57 Badges
Jul 14, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
Jews Every Where
More Jewish cultures and courtiers

Download Here

Jews Every Where, or JEW, is a mini-mod that adds in new Jewish cultures and courtiers that can spawn in various courts around CKII’s world.

This is just a fun little mini-mod I did as part of my work updating VIET to Sons of Abraham. I have no intentions of expanding it any further, and will keep it as a very simple flavor mod. There are 11 new Jewish cultures ranging from the unsurprising Mizrahi or Middle Eastern Jews to the more exotic Chinese and Indian Jews. For some of them I’ve had to simplify a bit - Indian Jews encompass all Jewish groups in India, Caucasian Jews includes both Mountain and Georgian Jews (who are technically distinct groups), and so on. The mod also includes some small tweaks to vanilla’s Jewish spawn events.

Two versions of the mod are available: the normal version, which includes all the new Jewish cultures, and a lite version, which only adds in the Mizrahi (for a simple three-way Ashkenazi/Sephardi/Mizrahi division).

Anybody is free to use this mini-mod, though credit to me and to other modders whose work I borrowed would be appreciated. It should be compatible with any mods that don't change 00_cultures.txt and soa_jewish_events.txt (although merging the changes should be easy), and obviously requires Sons of Abraham.

Installation

To install, simply unzip the contents into your mod folder. Note that you should only use one version at a time.

Screenshots (click to enlarge)

List of Additions:

• 11 new Jewish cultures, including namelists and new dynasties
  • Option to reject new Jewish courtiers (which the AI will do under certain circumstances)
  • Tweaked vanilla’s Ashkenazi and Sephardi courtier spawn to appear in more sensible locations (i.e. no Ashkenazi in Ethiopia)
  • Added some new Ashkenazi and Sephardi dynasties

New Jewish cultures:

• Mizrahi
  • Romaniote (Greek Jews)
  • Crimean Jewish (Krymchaks and Crimean Karaites)
  • Bukharan Jewish
  • Beta Israel (Ethiopian Jews)
  • Maghreb Jewish (including West African Jews)
  • Italian Jewish
  • Caucasian Jewish (Mountain and Georgian Jews)
  • Yemenite Jewish
  • Indian Jewish
  • Chinese Jewish

Credits
  • Duinnin for the Mizrahi namelist
  • Frostschaden for the Romaniote and Beta Israel namelists
  • Thure for the originally Sephardic namelist

Last edited:
Looks neat... Will be neater when I can afford SoA!

I guess technically it should load fine even if you don't have SoA, you just won't get the events. :D

Also, heads up: looks like you've got sephardic culture in dynasties and sephardi everywhere else.

Oh darn, good catch, I can't believe I forgot that. Darn PI not having the same code as me. Anyhow, I've reuploaded the files with that fixed.

Does this also have cultural buildings/retinues for those added cultures, (and the Ashkenazi/Sephardi)?

Jews! Jews Every Where!

Jolly decent of you. Do the Chinese Jews use the Mongolian portraits?

I'm guessing this lovely little bit of work will be in the next VIET release? Quality as always, Cybr, my friend.

Yes, all of this work was done for VIET in fact, but I've decided to release it separately for anyone who wants to use it.

I'm not sure why I am not on the credits; presumably an oversight?

You are in the credits, it's just invisible. Like, truly invisible, not just the highlight-over-it-and-it-appears sort of invisible, because you're special.

I might steal some of your Jewish names. ;)

Many of the namelists were from others, so credits should go to them, but I may have done one or two of the namelists, I forgot which.

Does this also have cultural buildings/retinues for those added cultures, (and the Ashkenazi/Sephardi)?

Nope. However if PI doesn't end up adding cultural buildings and retinues for those cultures I *guess* I can throw them in.

Jews! Jews Every Where!

Jolly decent of you. Do the Chinese Jews use the Mongolian portraits?

Yes, they use the Mongol portraits (you can see them in the first couple of screenshots). Well, only if you have the Mongol portrait DLC, obviously.

Could you add my Catalonian Jewish culture(in the new cultures thread)?

Probably won't, I think they fall fine under the Sephardi, there's nothing to my knowledge that suggests they are distinct enough from the rest of the Spanish Jews to warrant their own group. That said, it's not too hard to add in the events yourself, just use what I've done as a base.

First time I've witnessed my name in mod credits, though I've been away from these forums for a long time. Glad my name list was useful to someone. Excellent work.

First time I've witnessed my name in mod credits, though I've been away from these forums for a long time. Glad my name list was useful to someone. Excellent work.

I've actually been using your namelists in VIET too, you're in the credits there. :unsure:

But indeed you did contribute quite a number of manelists to the namelist thread!

You always seem to come up with creative mod names :laugh:

It's a nice addition, but don't you think there are too many Jewish cultures now? Yemenite Jews at least, should fall under Mizrahi culture.

You always seem to come up with creative mod names :laugh:

I love silly acronyms.

It's a nice addition, but don't you think there are too many Jewish cultures now? Yemenite Jews at least, should fall under Mizrahi culture.

Maybe too many, I suppose, but it could've been worse (I simplified a bit, for instance, with the Caucasian Jews by combining the Georgian and Mountain Jews, and putting the Jews of West Africa under the Maghreb Jewish label). As for the Yemenite Jews, from what I heard the Yemenite Jews are a group distinct from other Mizrahi Jews in culture and religious practice, so I guess having them as separate was justified - as in much, much more distinct. In general I tried to include Jewish groups that definitely had some distinctiveness compared to other groups - the Bukharan Jews, for instance, are meant to represent the Jews of Central Asia who had their own thing going for a while (and were quite successful during CKII's timeframe, apparently), in contrast with the Mizrahi Jews of the Middle East.

I think some of the cultures are incorrectly set up for patronymics. The daughter of a Crimean Jew in my game would be known as (for example) Esther Mordecaibat instead of Esther bat Mordecai.

I think some of the cultures are incorrectly set up for patronymics. The daughter of a Crimean Jew in my game would be known as (for example) Esther Mordecaibat instead of Esther bat Mordecai.

Looked in the code and indeed it appears for some reason the Romaniotes and Crimean Jews have that issue. I'll fix it later today, but you can easily fix it yourself too if you want - go to "mod/Jews Everywhere/common/culture" and open up the text file in there with notepad, notepad++ or some program like that, and fine the following lines:

Code:
	crimean_jewish = { #Crimean Jews including the Karaites and Krymchaks

graphical_culture = muslimgfx

color = { 0.35 0.35 0.35 }

male_names = {
			Abraham_Abraham Aharon_Aaron Anan Chaim David_David Elias_Elliot Eliezer Ezra Georgius_George Hezekiah Joseph_Joseph 
			Josiah Judah Karasubazar Lehno Medini Meir Meir Isaac_Isaac Mordecai Moshe_Moses Nathan_Nathaniel Nehemiah Nissan Salomon_Solomon Samuel_Samuel 
			Seraya Sima Yitzhak Zelig Zera
		}

female_names = {
			Agar Deborra_Deborah Edna Esther Golda Hanna_Hannah Haya_Hayat Izza Lea Menora Miriam_Maria Naomi Rahel_Rachel Ruth_RuthHava Salma_Salma 
			Sara_Sarah Shoshana_Susana Susanna_Susana Tamar_Tamar Turkia Yehudis_Judith
		}

male_patronym = "ben "
		female_patronym = "bat "
		[COLOR="#FFA500"]prefix = no[/COLOR]

modifier = religiously_tolerant_culture
	}

Change the highlighted stuff from "prefix = no" to "prefix = yes". Do the same for the Romaniotes who are above the Crimean Jewish entry, and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the quick response!

Is the event where the Jewish person come into your Court a randomly happening one, or is it in the intrigue menu? i don't see it.

otherwise, very cool mini-mod :)

edit: never mind, It is an event that pops up from time to time :p

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response!

No problem!

Is the event where the Jewish person come into your Court a randomly happening one, or is it in the intrigue menu? i don't see it.

otherwise, very cool mini-mod :)

edit: never mind, It is an event that pops up from time to time :p

Yup, they're just random events. They function pretty much like vanilla's Jewish courtier events as the code is taken from vanilla (with minor tweaks).

Nice work, thought the culture names need some work. Also you forgot french Jews :( They called themselves Zarphatic and had their own dialect of french much like Ashkenazi had judeo-german (yiddish) and the Sephardi spoke Judeo-Espanyol. Some suggestion for better culture names Chinese Jews- Yīcìlèyè jiào Italian Jews- Italkim Indain jew -Cochin.(they're are several different groups of Jews in Indian but Cochin are the oldest)

Last edited: