• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
U wot m8? You mean one of the most underrated PM's ever?

In what parallel universe is either man grossly underrated? :p

I must firstly apologise that what follows (in the post below) is not a bona fide update, though I hope that you enjoy it nonetheless. Hopefully, having prepared all of the necessary graphics, I should have the next actual update out at some point over the weekend.

Otherwise, it is my constitutional duty as a good AARlander to inform you all, if you weren't previously aware, that the ACAs' respective deadlines have been extended until next Monday. If you still wish to vote, there's still time! :)

Date Summary: 1830–1851

DateSummaryScreenshotndash1830-1851_zps09be38d1.png

You started this in 2013 and you're only about an hour or two into the actual game :p.

I you keep up an average of 20 in game years per RL year then you should be complete around 2018ish. :)

You started this in 2013 and you're only about an hour or two into the actual game :p.

How quickly do you play!? :p

I you keep up an average of 20 in game years per RL year then you should be complete around 2018ish. :)

I've done a lot of calculations along those lines, and none of them are all that positive if I want to get this wrapped up before I take my degree. :D

Having said that, I've played to 1920 so I've still got plenty of motivation to keep ploughing on. A lot of exciting stuff (well, I find it exciting...) happens in the latter years of Victoria's reign and I'm eager to cover that as soon as possible, so we'll see what happens. I'm very hopeful of reaching the 1870s before September at least.

Until then, do people find the date summaries at all helpful or interesting? I made that one for my own amusement and to give me a quick reference of key events, so I'll likely post others anyway as and when we reach the appropriate moment, but it would be nice to know if others have any views on them . :)

As I've said before, I absolutely don't mind you taking your time over this (thanks for the update by the way, I do indeed find it interesting).

I wonder what the longest running AAR is - I have an unfortunate feeling it could be mine... You are welcome to attempt to take my "crown!"

This is quite the unstable political AAR. Few complete ministries ever enjoy their full term.

As I've said before, I absolutely don't mind you taking your time over this (thanks for the update by the way, I do indeed find it interesting).

Why thank you kindly! :)

I wonder what the longest running AAR is - I have an unfortunate feeling it could be mine... You are welcome to attempt to take my "crown!"

You mean that are currently active? I can't say I'm sure either – though I think there are likely a few relative fossils out there still going strong. Neither of us have to worry yet, I imagine. :p

This is quite the unstable political AAR. Few complete ministries ever enjoy their full term.

A ministry's mandate is rather like the drive from Birmingham to Swindon; in an ideal world, one never reaches one's destination and stops instead along the way in the Cotswolds.

The longest running, currently active AAR I am aware of is treckaddict's Against All Odds which has been going since May 2008 in the HoI2 forum. It was well under way before I even joined these forums :eek:, coming up for a seventh birthday.

There's the record for you to beat DB :p.

Well also the age of reform is a pretty key point, shortly after the Crimean War things should settle down for a bit, at least before the institution of universal suffrage and the beginning of labor struggles in the 70s

Nice graphic DB and yes it does really highlight the chaos of this period. Here's hoping Pam can give us a bit of stability.

He'll certainly be around for a little while longer yet. Whether or not that entails "stability" I'll leave up to you. :D

I agree, although the delays leave me hungry, I'd rather you took your time to provide quality than rush out updates you'd not be happy with.

Well that's very nice of you to say. Thanks Jape. :)

The longest running, currently active AAR I am aware of is treckaddict's Against All Odds which has been going since May 2008 in the HoI2 forum. It was well under way before I even joined these forums :eek:, coming up for a seventh birthday.

There's the record for you to beat DB :p.

I'm rather hoping that I will leave its record firmly untroubled. :p

Well also the age of reform is a pretty key point, shortly after the Crimean War things should settle down for a bit, at least before the institution of universal suffrage and the beginning of labor struggles in the 70s

Indeed. There's sort of a mid-Victorian lull in terms of politicking before Gladstone et al. really begin to stir stuff up. Labour struggles probably won't feature too heavily until the end of the century, though. Disraeli did some stuff with trade unions and their rights of course, but until the Labour movement comes along I dare say the unions won't be massively in the spotlight. :)

That said you did promise a weekend update...

I didn't actually promise anything. :p

Having said that, I will ideally have something for you all in the next week. Do note "ideally", however.

You'd make an excellent politician.

Don't give him any ideas. The last thing we need is a new Whig Party. Just keep whistling Cameron and walk along.

Don't give him any ideas. The last thing we need is a new Whig Party. Just keep whistling Cameron and walk along.

Another new one, you mean.

I'd agree. Our Whiggy friend may not. :p

No, your "whiggy" friend is perfectly happy to regard Mr. Ghani as the leader of the party. :)

I'm very much beginning to rue electoral updates as they are always a bugger for me to write. After these ones, I'll very likely change the way in which polling is handled. This news, perhaps evidently, accompanies the fact that I'm still yet to finish the campaigns segment. This week's been rather busy, to put it mildly, though hopefully things will pick up for a brief period before exams start in earnest in about two months' time. I'd like to think that we'd have entered the 1860s by then, but who knows. All I will say is don't expect any great upswing in the pace I'm sustaining here until mid-June.

If, however, my glacial progress has not put you off too greatly, you may be interested to hear that there is currently a chance to vote for this very AAR in the end of year awards. I'm up for Best History Book should you be feeling sufficiently munificent.

The four other nominees, however, are all incredibly deserving and so please don't feel you have to cast your ballot my way under any circumstances. There are probably at least half a dozen incredibly compelling reasons to vote for any of the other AARs over mine. The most important thing ultimately is that we get a decent turnout at these things (though in this respect I'm likely preaching to the proverbial choir.)

I've spent far too much time on this post, however, so I'll simply urge you all to vote in as many awards as possible and promise another update some time before I finish school for the year. Until then! :)