• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Derahan

Ever doubtful
27 Badges
Oct 30, 2009
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Rome Gold
  • March of the Eagles
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Pride of Nations
  • East India Company
  • Sword of the Stars
The Underdogs at WAAR: A Ballet of Seven Years War

peoi.jpg

Greetings readers from far and wide!
I hail you unto the second installment of the Underdogs at WAAR series. This time we will set our sights into the European battlefield that preceded the American revolution but as many would argue was the reason that war erupted in the Americas. I have tried this scenario in EUIII before but alas, in that game this scenario was a nightmare as Prussia with overwhelmingly ammounts of enemy soldiers compared to few of your own and without armed support from your ally Great Britain. With the new generation game out for Europa Universalis i've decided to try my luck in this new scenario once again and I hope to bring you readers a new, fun and interesting AAR to read!

Last game had me go up against the British as the newly created, independent, revolutionary United States of America to try and fend of the British and retain American independence. That led to the AAR actully not ending as I managed to hold out against the British. Though the AAR ended in failure as I didn't meet the demands needed for me to win the war. That AAR can be found here or in my signature at the bottom most of the post.

So heres a few rules of the AAR:

1. The game will be played as Prussia
2. The AAR will last the years 1756-1763 at most (Third silesian war between Austria and Prussia).
3. I will win either if I manage to fight the Austrians to a peace (need to have 100% warscore for this) or I will end 15 February 1763 with 50% warscore to at least not end in failure.
4. I will try and update in a regular pace.
5. Must profit from something

Now then, with the rules set up we are ready to go for the second installment of the series!

"He who defends everything defends nothing."
- Friedrich der grosse​

Index:
Prologue
Chapter I: 5 May 1756 - 5 May 1757
Chapter II: 5 May 1757 - 5 May 1758
Chapter III: 5 May 1758 - 5 May 1759
Chapter IV: 5 May 1759 - 5 May 1760
Chapter V: 5 May 1760 - 5 May 1761
Chapter VI: 5 May 1761 - 5 May 1762
Chapter VII: 5 May 1762 - 15 February 1763

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing how you fare against the Austrians. I always love detailed, dedicated AARs on specific dates/wars!

Looking forward to seeing how you fare against the Austrians. I always love detailed, dedicated AARs on specific dates/wars!

Thanks! I believe there is a huge lack of these AARs, so it has kinda grown to my special on EUIII and EUIV if I may say so myself :)

A Ballet of Seven Years War
Prologue

chcj.png
ayxz.png

As you can see on these pictures, we are a little grey spot squeezed into central Europe. We are surrounded by big nations like Austira (and in extension the HRE), France, Russia and Sweden. This is pontentially a very dangerous situation that we don't want to have go the wrong way. But then again, why do we care about that, things has already gone to hell literally with us being at war with 3 of 4 earlier mentioned nations (Austria, France and Russia). As you can see on the second picture they are red, which means they are our enemies. Will the Fatherland survive this? Only time will tell.

8mee.png
t25k.png

So how capable are we of waging a war? Well for starters we don't need to look fruther than our king; Friedrich der Grosse is a 6/6/6 king and it can't be better, we have a perfectly capable leader to fight this war. Our form of government, Enlightened Despotism, grants us a +10% to manpower increase which we will so sorely need to be able to fight this war. Our economy on the other hand is not that very good with us making only 17g each month, mainly because our army drains 13g out of this monthly income. We will have to be careful and save our money if we every need to use them as we don't have much of it.

xu98.png
yw7l.png

We have unlocked all Prussian specific ideas along with traditions and ambition, these gives us a total of +25% Moral of Armies, +20% Discipline, +25% infantry combat ability, National Manpower modifier +33% and recruitment time -25%. Along with out defensive and offensive idea groups we get atleast +15% discipline, something like +25% manpower, alot of +1 to skills of military leaders and we get more Moral of armies from defensive idea group though I don't know ho w much. As we can see from this we are very well prepared to wage war.

Here we can see that we got ALOT of great military leaders to wage our war. Though obviously we got 1 army and we will so only use Friedrich der grosse as our military leader at the moment. Why miss out on his 6/6/6/1 skills at warfare? If we lose our military leaders we can just recruit more, we got 99.9 Army tradition so we are safe in that aspect. We got 130% discpline, 3.0 military tactics and 8.9 moral of armies so we are pretty safe on that side. We got some ships but those will be disbanded to make more money. For the last we can max have 74,570 manpower and we make 889 a month which is much for a country our size. We pass the recruiting act as a last thing to do in this prologue which gives us +10% manpower and -10% recruitment time.

iyle.png

Last but not least we have the war overview. We field 69.000 infantry versus our enemies 272.000 infantry which means they outnumber us almost 4 to 1 (may god be with us). We field 29.000 cavalry versus 97.000 of the enemies cavalry which is like 3,5 to 1. We field 12.000 artillery vs 42.000 of the enemy, that is like 4 to 1 outnumbering again. This our forces totals 110.000 against 411.000 of our enemies, we are outnumbered 4 to 1 and we must trust in our soldiers and generals capabilities and superiority to survive this.

Underdogs part 2. Really looking forward to this. Sad it's not John Hunyadi, but still looking forward to the AAR. Best of luck to you. Hopefully the Prussians can pull it off. The Americans sadly didn't.

I actually think 4 to 1 might be manageable given your army and its leader. Just try to fight individual battles at no worse than 2 to 1 if you can manage it.

I have to trust in the army, after all, Prussia is not a state with an army but an army with a state.

Underdogs part 2. Really looking forward to this. Sad it's not John Hunyadi, but still looking forward to the AAR. Best of luck to you. Hopefully the Prussians can pull it off. The Americans sadly didn't.

I looked into it but all I found was 1 war and that didn't have any generals etc. in it so I couldn't do it. Now we have to trust in the Prussians!

Sweet, this will be fun to watch. :) Unfortunately, as in real life, I fear the Brits won't be particularly helpful on the continent. Easily one of my favorite wars to study; I will be following this closely.

Also, beware. Historically Spain and Sweden jump you too later in the war!

Once again, I'll join in. Great idea, I'm hoping to try something like this as well. Sometime...

Sweet, this will be fun to watch. :) Unfortunately, as in real life, I fear the Brits won't be particularly helpful on the continent. Easily one of my favorite wars to study; I will be following this closely.

Also, beware. Historically Spain and Sweden jump you too later in the war!

Welcome! Yes, I believe the british will stay where they are but the other two will help me atleast so I am not alone. Spain and Sweden won't join later as there are modifiers from dragging countries into war after a month or two, so i'm pretty safe on that front :)

Once again, I'll join in. Great idea, I'm hoping to try something like this as well. Sometime...

Well that sucks. Then maybe you could do one on Skanderbeg next?

Maybe, but the problem is it has to be a war that at least has the chance of be won and last a decent ammount of years so I can get a few updates :)

Looking forward to this one!

Thanks! Welcome aboard! :)

I love this series! If I remember correctly, didn't you also do a bunch of them for EU3 as well? Keep it up!

I love this series! If I remember correctly, didn't you also do a bunch of them for EU3 as well? Keep it up!

Glad that you love them, yes I did make a bunch for EU3 of which most were about the French revolutionary wars and Napoleonic wars :)

A Ballet of Seven Years War

Chapter I: 5 May 1756 - 5 May1757

fes6.png
jtfg.png

We start the war by recruiting 2 more mercenary regiments so that we can maximize our forcelimits (perhaps we will break the limits later). The more soldiers we field the better and without using our sparse manpower the better. In the mean time Austria sends her forces into Silesia and start laying siege to Breslau, apparently they are bent on retaking the province that we took from them more than a decade ago.

hapt.png
j78g.png

In August we engage the Austrians in Breslau, having forced their first army to flee from the province, they now returned in force with 81.000 soldeirs versus our 48.000 soldiers. This is the first major engagement of the war and we can only hope to win it. Though we have the upperhand in everything but the numbers. First off, our general is a 6/6/6/1 while the Austrian general is a 4/5/5/0, while our general is not that better he is still better than the Austrians. Secondly we have a river crossing penalty which helps us a little. Then we got 1.8 more army moral and 20% more discipline and most likely we have like 10-15% more infantry combat ability at least.

oulx.png

We won this battle. Out of the Austria total of (I believe I forgot to take a picture at the beginning of the battle so this is the true numbers of the forces) 96.000 men they lost 37.490 men brining their forces down to 59.510 soldeirs which means they lost more than 1/3 of their soldiers. Out of our total forces of 58.726 men and we lost 18.916 men bringing us down to 39.810 men. Which means we also lost around 1/3 of our soldiers, luckily though we defeated them. The help from Hesse and Hannover is a cruical part of the war and we would not have survived without them.

jo13.png
1k8a.png

After the battle we decide to hunt down the Austrian forces and follow them into Bohemia from Silesia. Though they outran us far into the Austrian heartland we decided to swing north into Saxony and without much fight eliminate their 10.000 army while only losing 1224 soldiers of our own; One nation of our enemy is out of the picture, only 3 to go.

3xku.png
iqoe.png

Meanwhile the situation is deteriorating in the west as Hessian lands is overrun by some 70-80.000 soldiers from Austira and France. To combat these new units we recurit 5 more infantry mercenary regiments to fight for our cause. We will have to strike fast this time.

l939.png
09ub.png

After a month of corssing back and forth over Hannoverian lands the French attack us while we are stationed outside the city of Brunswick. We are faced by 100.000 Austrian and French troops against our own 48.000 soldiers. We are later reinforced by 15.000 Hannoverians and some Hessian (how many i've forgotten). Not much changed since the last battle, the Austirans have the same general and the -1 river penalty. The same ammount of discipline and military tactics. However we have 2.1 more army morale this time so thats good. Our infantry combat ability is also higher which gives us local superiority.

7k3r.png

We won this battle to! By the end of the battle (of Brunswick) the Austrian/French forces who numbered 108.803 soldiers in total, numbered only 64.421 having lost 44.382 soldiers which is something like 40% of their forces. At the total we numbered 64.753 soldiers and numbered only 41.165 soldiers having lost 23.588 soldiers or ca 30% of our forces. This is thus a small victory for our nation.

lsqu.png
ngbs.png

We retreat our army and the Hessians back to Berlin to rest and reinforce getting ready for another season of campign and wars. Meanwhile 50.000 Austrian/French forces are overrunning Hessian lands and will most likely force our ally out of the war if we do not act soon.

4h13.png
erx5.png

Meanwhile in our Prussian lands the Russians are siegeing them with a force of ca 70.000 and we have no hope of liberating these lands. We can only hope the Russians stay with siegeing Prussia and does not enter our heartland around Berlin. Meanwhile in the Americas, things are going literally to shit. The British barely have any soldiers in French Canada and the Thirteen colonies are revolting against British rule. This doesnt seem very bright for our most important ally.

Great victories. I love them! Especially the +10 warscore one.