• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Escher

Senior Community Manager
19 Badges
Oct 7, 2013
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Magicka
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Magicka 2
  • Paradox Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Magicka 2 - Signup Campaign
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Cities: Skylines
  • War of the Roses
magickabanner_0.jpg

So, it's been a busy few weeks for all things "Magicka", chances are your fireball finger is getting a bit tired and your life element just isn't doing what it used to? We have you covered! Rather than go through all the effort of making trolls and goblins explode, you can casually swipe through you favourite e-reader and read about the Magickal quest for the mythical "Ninth Element".

Paradox Books is publishing a new Magicka Novel, Magicka: The Ninth Element! Written by Dan McGirt, Magicka: The Ninth Element follows a group of four inexperienced wizards, using the eight elements of spellcasting on a quest to chase down rumors of an all-powerful ninth element – one that may hold the key to ultimate power. At least, it might. No promises. But it could.

Want a glimpse of what Magicka: The Ninth Element contains, besides wizards blowing themselves up? Check out the first 35 pages here: http://issuu.com/paradoxbooks/docs/magicka_preview

To purchase the e-book at an introductory discounted price, please visit http://www.paradoxplaza.com/books/magicka.

The book is only available in English for now, but if it's popular enough, who knows what the future holds. :)
For the moment it is ebook only, but we are looking at print options as well. So stay tuned!

There goes any money I might have had left after the last release. :)
Reading this book might have to wait until after the Lord of the Rings, but I'll read it soon.
Are there any "secrets" revealed in the book. Such as a story of how Vlad became a... teacher.
If so, should we keep them to ourselves?

(P.S. If you need a awesome book to read, you can download The White Company for free on kindle now. Great book. Honor and courage throughout with excellence at the end.)

There is plenty of backstory of characters we have learned to ... love - but no direct spoilers. So no need to keep things to yourself. :)

This book was my companion this afternoon through some rather boring hours, so here are my thoughts:

The humor is fantastic, much in style with the games.
My favorites concern Plato's Cave, Derrida, and then the Age of Aquarius joke.

I found the characters to be decent, if underdeveloped. I hoped that Grimnir would change throughout the book instead of just at the end. His questioning nature was great though. Vlad-in-disguise was quite funny, but more than anyone else Tuoneta carried the story for me, especially at the end. Faf was somehow incredibly in-tune with the everywizard in-universe.

I'm a sucker for a good map, so I would have wanted another map of where the party goes throughout the story.

I found the action to be a bit lacking in detail. Fast and furious combat were hallmarks of Magicka, but that is a bit lacking here. It should be so fast that the reader is in a near-panic with how much information is being thrown at him. I also believe I found two contradictions to the magick rules in the books. One is in the beginning concerning the use of beams within basic shields, which are supposed to reflect them.

Considering the eBook price was 4 dollars, I can't complain much there, but I remember seeing that it is an introductory price. What will it be when the initial period ends? I'm a huge Wheel of Time fan, so I am a bit concerned at the price point relative to the length of the story.

The only other thing I would have preferred would have been more detail. Yes, it tells us what some things look like, but the environments were so entertaining in the book in some places that I hoped there would be a lot of environment play in the book.

Dan McGirt did a great job, and I hope to see more Magicka tales in the future!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for that review - I believe it was the first. :)
The time span of the introductory price is not nailed down just yet - but even when it goes up, it won't be by much. The normal price for most Paradox ebooks is $4.99 (one more dollar).
We're glad you liked the book - and we certainly want to make more Magicka books in the future. There are plenty of great stories to tell in the Magicka universe!

Thanks for reviewing and giving feedback =) For other people's reading pleasure, please add spoiler tags if you start commenting on specific events in the book =)

Cheers,

John

I must admit that I'm excited to read this. I found the preview to be quite charming, so I'll probably purchase the book on my Kindle tomorrow and see how the rest is.

I liked Davlo personally. I wish it was longer for more development. Fafnir was a little too predictably dumb sometimes.
We need a sequel. Not necessarily a sequel, but a longer magicka book, or a series of magicka books on the same characters amounting to a longer length.
also... SPOILER (maybe?)
Is this how death is related to yellow robe? It still doesn't explain how death is a she though.
Also, I too was seeing shooting down a flock of geese with the anti-air staff (what ever it was) really tempting... man I wish I was a wizard.
Thanks to the magicka games, the new book, and lore coming out. I'll now have to memorize the entire lore of Midgard. It'll be fun.
I need more magicka books... and lore!

Thanks for the feedback!

I think Magicka is a great universe with endless possibilities to explore the lore further. If this books sells well enough we'll definitely make more - so please do spread the word if you enjoyed the book! :)

There are some more threads about the book on this forum (here and here), in case you'd like to read some more reactions to it. We'll try to keep the discussion in this subforum though, to make it easier to find.

I bought this and began reading it. Found it quite funny actually and i liked the way it was written... Im not usually into audio-books, but if this book was narrated by "Vlad" (from the pc and android game), I´d definitely buy that also because that would "top the cake" for me. He´s just so funny!! :D

So... do you think there might be another soonish? (under a year or two?)

So... do you think there might be another soonish? (under a year or two?)

That's certainly the plan - if enough people buy this book. :)
So, if you want to see another Magicka novel, the best thing you can do is spread the word to your friends!

Last edited:
Will do.