• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Chicken Spadge

Major
31 Badges
Aug 3, 2009
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Iron Cross
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For The Glory
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
I'm currently playing my first ever game as Austria.

In the past I was used to seeing Austria inherit both Bohemia and Hungary in the 16th century. In fact, it seemed to happen every time.

It didn't happen in my previous game, but I was playing as Hungary, and I was still fully expecting to inherit Bohemia in my current game. I was rather disappointed to say the least when I ended up with nothing more than a personal union with the Czechs and cores on their lands. I still inherited Hungary, but that means acquiring a lot of poorer provinces.

The missing inheritance was especially galling because I'd been cultivating Bohemia - maintaining an alliance with it and helping it to acquire a couple of extra provinces.

What are the factors that come into play for the inheritance? Is there anything that the player as Austria can do to influence it? Has anything been changed in recent patch updates?

Meanwhile, is a personal union any use? It doesn't appear to mean anything more than having the same ruler.

I'm currently playing my first ever game as Austria.

In the past I was used to seeing Austria inherit both Bohemia and Hungary in the 16th century. In fact, it seemed to happen every time.

It didn't happen in my previous game, but I was playing as Hungary, and I was still fully expecting to inherit Bohemia in my current game. I was rather disappointed to say the least when I ended up with nothing more than a personal union with the Czechs and cores on their lands. I still inherited Hungary, but that means acquiring a lot of poorer provinces.

The missing inheritance was especially galling because I'd been cultivating Bohemia - maintaining an alliance with it and helping it to acquire a couple of extra provinces.

What are the factors that come into play for the inheritance? Is there anything that the player as Austria can do to influence it? Has anything been changed in recent patch updates?

Meanwhile, is a personal union any use? It doesn't appear to mean anything more than having the same ruler.

Are you playing the vanilla game?
"Normal" setting for event choices?
Then event BOH 3642 leaves the decision to Bohemia. If they chose A you get a personal union and Bohemia as vassal, if they chose B (under normal around 5% chance) you´ll inherit them ahistorically early:

Code:
# The Death of King Ludvík of Bohemia #
event = {

id = 3642
	random = no
	country = BOH
	name = "EVENTNAME3642"
	desc = "EVENTHIST3642"

date = { day = 28 month = august year = 1526 }

action_a ={	#Accept the Habsburgs as elected kings
		name = "ACTIONNAME3642A"
		command = { type = trigger which = 3187 }
		command = { type = stability value = 1 }
		command = { type = treasury value = 200 }
		command = { type = dynastic which = HAB }
		command = { type = relation which = HAB value = 100 }
	}

action_b ={	#Accept the Habsburgs as hereditary kings
		name = "ACTIONNAME3642B"
		command = { type = trigger which = 3733 }
	}
}

What you can do to influence that: Don´t use "historical" choices for events in the options. Those always chose option A for the AI.

Yes, it's vanilla and normal event choices.

Bohemia is a vassal? It doesn't say that on the diplomacy screen, just that it's a junior partner in a union with Austria. And it's just recently rejected a new alliance and teamed up with Poland instead! Vassals can't do that, surely.

Sorry to keep going on about this, but in view of the above is there any advantage in a personal union? Is there anything I can do to annex Bohemia or make an annexation more likely?

Since the situation shown in the above screenshot I've managed to improve relations with Bohemia and get it back into my alliance.