+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham - Dev Diary 3 - Jews, Pilgrims and Events

Game Director Paradox Dev Team Doomdark's Avatar

Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham - Dev Diary 3 - Jews, Pilgrims and Events

It's Tuesday and time for another dev diary on the latest expansion for Crusader Kings II; Sons of Abraham. The topics of the day are pilgrimages, Judaism and religious events. First off though, for those who read last week's diary, we've changed how the Ash'ari and Mu'tazilite traits are handled a bit. They are now much more significant, because an Ash'ari no longer gives decadence to his dynasty, and the Learning bonus for Mutazilites is correspondingly higher (currently +5).

Click image for larger version

Name:	CKII_SoA_DD_03_Start_of_Pilgrimage.jpg
Views:	9722
Size:	651.9 KB
ID:	94549

Right, so, on the subject of Islam, one thing we were quite happy with in Sword of Islam was the addition of the decision to go on the Hajj, with the little adventure and the special trait you got at the end. Naturally, a lot of people thought we should add a similar thing for Christians, so that is exactly what we have done in Sons of Abraham. Christians get to choose between several different holy places. For example, Catholics can go to Canterbury, Santiago, Cologne, Rome or Jerusalem. During the journey, a regent will be appointed for pilgrim rulers and various adventures will unfold. Going on a pilgrimage costs a bit of money, and there are of course risks, but successful pilgrims will enjoy monthly piety and respect from their brothers and sisters of the faith for the rest of their lives. There could also be some unexpected benefits...

Name:	CKII_SoA_DD_03_Pilgrim_Adventure.jpg
Views:	10314
Size:	639.6 KB
ID:	94548

In the same vein, we have added tons of events dealing with religious life, for Christians especially. Some are complex event chains (for example, there is one inspired by Joan of Arc) and others are simple (e.g. monks cure your illness.) There are events about relics, immoral priests (of most religions), the crusades, etc.

However, the feature in Sons of Abraham that appears to have garnered the most attention is probably the addition of the Jewish religion. Prior to the addition of the 867 start date in The Old Gods, adding Judaism to the game seemed relatively pointless due to the lack of significant Jewish rulers. In 867 though, there is indeed a powerful Jewish state; the Turkic Khazar Khaganate, which we previously represented as being of the Tengri faith, but which was historically well into the process of converting to Judaism at the time. (I think it is plausible enough that they did this in order to counteract foreign interference justified by Muslim and Christian proselytizing. Furthermore, it can be very beneficial for an empire to have a religion of its own as a vehicle for cultural cohesion and dominance.) Now, playing as the Khazars is not easy even in 867, due mostly to their powerful and aggressive neighbors, like the Pechenegs and the Cumans, but there is also a real risk of religious internal strife. In other words, it's a worthy challenge, like playing as the Zoroastrian House of Karen.

Name:	CKII_SoA_DD_03_Rabbi_at_Work.jpg
Views:	8610
Size:	765.3 KB
ID:	94552

Of course, there is an even tougher challenge available, even for those who do not have The Old Gods; one last Jewish Khazar duke is still clinging on in the Saray region in 1066, vassal to the Cumans. Now, Jewish players have similar goals to strive for as the Zoroastrians; you can try to restore the ancient united kingdom of Israel and Judah, restore the High Priesthood under the Kohen Gadol, and even rebuild the Temple.

Name:	CKII_SoA_DD_03_The_Last_Khazars.jpg
Views:	11010
Size:	623.6 KB
ID:	94550

Apart from the Khazar Jews, there are also the Ashkenazim and Sephardim, in the form of learned men and courtiers who can show up in your court. If you run out of money as a non-Jewish ruler, you can also choose to borrow money from Jewish merchants. If you do not want to pay them back, you can actually expel the Jews from the realm (similar to what you can do with the Holy Orders.) You will, however, stop getting the benefits of having remarkably skilled Jewish courtiers to serve in your council, and you and your descendants cannot borrow any more money from their community. Obviously, this is a pretty terrible thing to do, but it does, unfortunately, have several historical precedents.

Name:	CKII_SoA_DD_03_Jewish_Decisions.jpg
Views:	8884
Size:	692.7 KB
ID:	94551

I believe that about sums up the features of this little expansion. Next week I'll go through all the stuff we're giving you for free!
    Henrik Fåhraeus

Abusus non tollit usum

first XD

Crusader Kings IIMagickaPenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Teleglitch: Die More EditionEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

an Ash'ari no longer gives decadence to his dynasty
    I want my whole dynasty to be Ash'ari now.

If you run out of money as a non-Jewish ruler, you can also choose to borrow money from Jewish merchants.
    Curious: what happens if you don't pay them back, but don't expel them?

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIIMagicka
    Mount & Blade: Warband

Nice features, will there also be jews around Abyssinia?

Here go all the people who wanted to banish the jews and tax the jews.

Kingdom of Israel and Judah? so Jewish rulers have 2 special titles for them to make huh? cool, why don't show us these new titles....?

btw great dev diary (again) from you sir hohoho.....
    "Life is for Living"

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Are the Jews getting a new UI? I still see crosses in those screenshots.

But other than that, it all looks and sounds great.
    My Mods:
    The Four Nations - An Avatar: The Last Airbender Mod (CK2) Coming Soon
    ------
    If you don’t like ponies then you could always crush them under the talons of the mighty Griffin Empire! – My Little Crusader Ponies coming soon
    – 2D Cartographer, idea and PR guy

Quote Originally Posted by Doomdark View Post
    I believe that about sums up the features of this little expansion. Next week I'll go through all the stuff we're giving you for free!
    so you are saying that the college of cardinals won't be in the patch?

Crusader Kings IIMagickaPenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Teleglitch: Die More EditionEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by Doomdark View Post
    Rome isn't in the West and isn't a safe place to go?

Crusader Kings II

Helsinki, the traditional capital of the duchy of Outer Mongoliia
    Quote Originally Posted by King Anund View Post
    so you are saying that the college of cardinals won't be in the patch?
    That was meant to be clear from the start...

Nice DD, looking forward to the release!

Crusader Kings II

Quote Originally Posted by MadHyena View Post
    Here go all the people who wanted to banish the jews and tax the jews.
    Exactly the kind of thing I thought a lot of people would get off on.

Reimu Hakurei Loyalist Super-Soviet's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourMarch of the EaglesRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: Heart of DarknessEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

I'd be curious as to what kind of CB's the Jews have.

Quote Originally Posted by Thure View Post
    Say... Is this a new facepack? It looks new. Or is it just new Jewish clothes?

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...0&d=1383662511
    Jewish clothes.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Rozmarzony View Post
    Anything about reworking decadence?
    because an Ash'ari no longer gives decadence to his dynasty
    That's the only thing he mentioned. And given that they didn't answer any decadence related questions last week, i wouldn't get my hopes up for this week either.

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Kljunas View Post
    I want my whole dynasty to be Ash'ari now.
    This.

Can you make other muslims become Ash'ari if they are not? Similar to forcing vassals to switch religion?

Quote Originally Posted by theKing1988 View Post
    That's the only thing he mentioned. And given that they didn't answer any decadence related questions last week, i wouldn't get my hopes up for this week either.
    That's why I'm asking. Devs often are saying a lot of nice things in following posts after dev diary.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDivine WindFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Nice. Will the expulsion of Jews be able to be revoked later on in the game?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast