• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Have you tried immediately sending a gift and sending your chancellor to improve relations with your liege?

Have you tried immediately sending a gift and sending your chancellor to improve relations with your liege?
Not going to matter; Paradox, in their infinite wisdom, decided to make the AI hell-bent on revoking capital counties of a duchy. In one of my old save games, when two friends with over 300+ relation immediately went to war because of that dumb patch. No one even asked for this behavioral change! What's even worse is that this behavior is hard-coded, so my neatly divided realm erupted into massive civil wars, and there was nothing I could do about it (other than to change the capital of every duchy in landed_title.txt file, which is utterly impractical, not to mention pointless seeing as how that file gets updated very frequently in patches).

What is the deal with the AI revoking the "capital" of their duchies anyway? It's not like there's anything special about them.
Apparently Paradox believes the arbitrarily picked "capital" should the most important thing ever to an AI duke.

i'll try that ! but if the liege is always revoking the title of the capital owner i'm screwed :(
I came from Rome 2 because it was so bugged, and now i'm falling into the only CK2 bug hahahah !
Ha, you'll surely encounter more bugs along the way, but thankfully by now even the most egregious ones are nowhere as bad as the ones still pissing me off in Rome 2...

well, i'm just going to change the capital in the txt fie so it's my liege county...I don't like modding the game like this though ;(
It can't be helped, but this is the beauty of a conveniently moddable game--you can easily correct the game designer's oversights and right injustices on your own.

Not going to matter; Paradox, in their infinite wisdom, decided to make the AI hell-bent on revoking capital counties of a duchy. In one of my old save games, when two friends with over 300+ relation immediately went to war because of that dumb patch. No one even asked for this behavioral change! What's even worse is that this behavior is hard-coded, so my neatly divided realm erupted into massive civil wars, and there was nothing I could do about it (other than to change the capital of every duchy in landed_title.txt file, which is utterly impractical, not to mention pointless seeing as how that file gets updated very frequently in patches).

Apparently Paradox believes the arbitrarily picked "capital" should the most important thing ever to an AI duke.

Ha, you'll surely encounter more bugs along the way, but thankfully by now even the most egregious ones are nowhere as bad as the ones still pissing me off in Rome 2...

It can't be helped, but this is the beauty of a conveniently moddable game--you can easily correct the game designer's oversights and right injustices on your own.

There's a thread on the bug forum, hopefully Paradox will do something about it...

Cheat to x gold, use it all to buy mercs, give yourself some (a lot) of breathing room maintenance-wise. Then win the war, disband everything, enjoy the game.

Sure it's cheating but is reloading just to not be DoW day 1 any fun?

It's not a bug but WAD, the (in my opinion bad) change was made in the patch which came with the Old Gods.

You can't do much about it but just be very quick and ruthless. Cheating for money for the mercs because of this "nice" feature is quite OK in my book.

And for your information, you CAN check these so-called de jure duchy capitals in the game. When you click a county shield, the screen centers in that county. When clicking a duchy shield, the screen centers in the scripted capital. So, switching between the counties in the duchy and the duchy title itself reveals you the capital. This is best done zoomed in at maximum.

that's bad if it's WAD...
This really makes some county unplayable without cheats or mods, which should be considered as a bug

The duke revoking his duchy's "de jure" capital, and moving his capital there is WAD, I meant. The problem comes with many starting dates with a duke not controlling this so-called de jure capital. In those cases the unfortunate count is next to impossible to start as without cheating.

A little up for this one.

This is a much bigger problem now because some county are unplayable with the Iron man option. Since i modified the Landed_title.txt file to change the capital of the duchy, the game consider that my game is moded :(

This is quite unfortunate, and I fully think that this should be changed. I can see the reason for this change when it comes to kingdoms and empires (after all, it is pretty jarring if you see the Capital of France in Chalons and that of the Byzantine Empire on Cyprus) but for duchies it is quite nonsensical.

Why don't you go big and play the Duke of Britanny for starters? Then you could yourself play the game the AI likes so much, revoke Vannes and then chose it as your capital :p Perhaps best to start in December 1066 as then the duke is in a very strong position to start with.

Try this: As revert to the old game code (so you can access ironman mode)

I just tried this, so I know it works:
Then as soon as the game starts, revoke the titles of every barony under you. This will boost your troops ~X3.
You start with your main character and an heir, marry the princess of West Francia, and then have your heir marry the princess of Austrius. This gives you two powerful alliances.

The AI MAY still want to take your land, but with your 3x troops, my troop count ended up being 928, while my lieges troops were 1273. If he tries to take your land, just position yourself behind a river and wait for your allies to arrive. (also his troop count will drop quite a bit when you are no longer part of his realm)

Happy Crusading ^_^

Try this: As revert to the old game code (so you can access ironman mode)

I just tried this, so I know it works:
Then as soon as the game starts, revoke the titles of every barony under you. This will boost your troops ~X3.
You start with your main character and an heir, marry the princess of West Francia, and then have your heir marry the princess of Austrius. This gives you two powerful alliances.

The AI MAY still want to take your land, but with your 3x troops, my troop count ended up being 928, while my lieges troops were 1273. If he tries to take your land, just position yourself behind a river and wait for your allies to arrive. (also his troop count will drop quite a bit when you are no longer part of his realm)

Happy Crusading ^_^
If he's playing with SoA, he could just take a loan from the Jews and hire some mercenaries, with the way levies work now his liege is never going to beat a mercenary company.

I don't think we should be encouraging him to go all North Korea on his best playthrough. "When in doubt, banish your vassals" is a motto for blasé players ;)

These situations are so crappy.

What I have done in the past, and while it's cheating I consider it wholly justified, is console->charinfo->negdiplo->offer white peace->switch to leige->accept white peace->switch back. should buy you enough time to prepare without actually affecting the game like adding gold or revoking vassal baronies might.

These situations are so crappy.

What I have done in the past, and while it's cheating I consider it wholly justified, is console->charinfo->negdiplo->offer white peace->switch to leige->accept white peace->switch back. should buy you enough time to prepare without actually affecting the game like adding gold or revoking vassal baronies might.
The loan mechanics of the latest DLC make this wholly unnecessary :)

The problem with this is that it breaks the whole "sandbox" aspect of the game. I don't want to start with one specific county telling myself "right, i need to to this, then wait a month, then do this and that...". This really sounds like the begining of an online RTS match ^^

I really hope paradox will dial this crazy revoking AI down

Considering the sheer number of playable characters (for each time period), I would be surprised if there weren't a portion of them that were near impossible.

I recall some older threads talking about games in Hispania where the first few days of the game were crucial depending on whether your pledge of fealty (to France or HRE) was received before the Muslims Holy Warred you (since you can't swear fealty if you are at war).

That being said, I think there are several good strategies offered here by other posters. Good luck!