• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DrDress

Second Lieutenant
15 Badges
Jul 28, 2011
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Rome Gold
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
I've seen my opponents lords with perks like "masterful armor", which I only thought could be optained by training unit in cities with iron in it. So how can this be?

I've seen my opponents lords with perks like "masterful armor", which I only thought could be optained by training unit in cities with iron in it. So how can this be?

You can purchase perks for units (including Lords) if you have the necessary building on that resource (like the Foundry on Iron), but if the unit wasn't trained in that city. When you have a unit selected, it will have a golden arrow pointing up in the upper right corner of its portrait. Click it and you will see a list of perks you can purchase for it, as well as the cost in gold.

When a unit is built in a city with a perk building, yes it gets that perk automatically and free. But you can buy that same perk for every other unit that qualifies, as described about. So you don't actually need more than one foundry in your whole empire, for instance, as long as you have the money.