• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sadly but true, most non-online game developers have died in China.

But today people in China are getting richer, so if paradox adds more value over pirated-copies: perhaps better encryption, good localization, achievements, workshops and multiplayer, and lower price for China region, they may sell well.

For me I came to know paradox through HOI 2, and later EU4 (both pirated copies from Chinese websites). I found them to be very interesting and very different from the KOEI's Three Kingdom series which I like very much. After I was aware of steam I bought all their grand-strategy games during sale.

The biggest problem of selling in China is high price. But if you build up a reputation there and sell at a price closer to average people's purchasing power, some people (it's a huge market!) will buy it.

Again for me I've been playing KOEI's Three Kingdom series since I was young, and I was not able to pay for them because they're so expensive. But now as China gets richer and I started working, I bought 2 games from KOEI (still very expensive) as a gesture of support and gratitude.

Considering Sengoku didn't do that well and this is an even less well known period of history among westerners, it would probably be a tough sell for Paradox.
Three Kingdoms Period is what got me interested in history as a whole for me, before that I was just an ignorant westerner... :p
I would really, REALLY love to play a CK2 mod of the Three Kingdoms! 200 ad seems like a good start date for it, just before Cao Cao's conquest of Yuan Shao's territory.

Three Kingdom would be nice for Chinese setting Paradox Game should be either based on Romance of Three Kingdoms or historical.

excuse for little bit off topic
Dynasty Warriors series is based on novel more than historical unlike Samurai Warriors.

problem is Liu Bei changes his base alots like from Northeastern China to Central China then Southwestern China(Sichuan).
Wei did fight with Goguryeo(Korean Kingdom) in 244(but Goguryeo should not be included cuz this will be game about only Three Kindoms)

Unless we can build cao cao's family tree back to the West Han period, such a game would be another Sengoku. I am speaking about how many efforts we could spend for historical accuracy, because it is one of the strong points of Paradox games in comparison to other games.

I was considering something about integrating ancient China with tribal mechanics. Sort of like a post-apocalyptic ancient China during the Warring States or Chu-Han contention and people are struggling to rebuild civilization along with other tribal peoples at its borders to contend with who want their own slice of Chinese civilization.

Chinese names would be based on Old Chinese reconstructions since they are too many homophones in modern Chinese or even middle Chinese. Even though people are familiar with modern names, I feel Old Chinese is a better fit.

http://www.eastling.org/oc/oldage.aspx

Chinese religion I feel should be based on Indian religious mechanics but with more flexibility.

Last edited:
Chinese names would be based on Old Chinese reconstructions since they are too many homophones in modern Chinese or even middle Chinese. Even though people are familiar with modern names, I feel Old Chinese is a better fit.

http://www.eastling.org/oc/oldage.aspx
^Basically there's about a dozen reconstructions that are about as legitimate as each other, and varies crazily. Just try 「絲」(silk) and you'll see.
And that database seems to be corrupted with some non-ASCII characters missing.

^Basically there's about a dozen reconstructions that are about as legitimate as each other, and varies crazily. Just try 「絲」(silk) and you'll see.
And that database seems to be corrupted with some non-ASCII characters missing.

They're not corrupted because some of the reconstructions use IPA symbols. I use the linguist Zheng Zhang and Pan Wuyun method of reconstruction even though I believe it's how it used to be pronounced during Shang/early Zhou dynasties. The others seem to be more similar to Middle Chinese and closer to Qin/Han dynasties.

[video=youtube;VIkQSuZbbt0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIkQSuZbbt0[/video]

[video=youtube;Ic5gOgDqZv4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic5gOgDqZv4[/video]

Last edited:
The problem I think with China games is probably that paradox knows a roman game has a Western audience ready to buy it, and they can throw Persia in there with Rome but a Chinese game probably has less of a draw on Westerners (though probably a more vocal fanbase) and China itself isn't yet a huge market for Western games (I would expect that the Chinese government would demand some intermediary sell the game for Paradox and take half the profits, because commies gonna commie)

They should make it a smaller scaled game based on Zhanguo Shidai (Warring States Period) like they did for Sengoku Jidai with Sengoku: Way of the Warrior (maybe even similarly name it, "Zhanguo: Mandate of Heaven"?). It wouldn't be too expensive and it would be a nice quick game (for Paradox standard) to play when one cannot dedicate enough time for a mega-campaign. After that, they should do a larger scale Far East and Steppe game which can serve as an alternative for Crusader Kings II in the grand-scheme/campaign of things in regards to the converter. In terms of mechanics, it would have to be a whole new game meaning it would be the fifth major (sixth if Rome comes before) line of series to serve as one of their flagships.

The problem I think with China games is probably that paradox knows a roman game has a Western audience ready to buy it, and they can throw Persia in there with Rome but a Chinese game probably has less of a draw on Westerners (though probably a more vocal fanbase) and China itself isn't yet a huge market for Western games (I would expect that the Chinese government would demand some intermediary sell the game for Paradox and take half the profits, because commies gonna commie)

It wouldn't be small enough to worry about markets I reckon, after all Paradox games are already niche, but with a large gathering. Also, this is also a chance to bring in an Eastern audience since countries like Korean and Japan are big fans of Chinese histories (well anything historical, there's quite a big following of Paradox games in Korea apparently) probably how Europeans tend to be fascinated with Roman history so it should off-set the lack of Western audience. In regards to the Chinese government; um... Fuck it.

Such a game would be made if the studio had a developer on staff who held tremendous passion for the game idea and the period--enough passion to sell his soul to the cause for 4-5 years, to inspire passion in others at the studio, to argue for why it will be a fun game, to explain why people will buy it, to support a vision of the game.

I don't think they have such a "champion" for a China game.

I do think that tossing ideas around on the forums may help inspire someone.

Why only the Three kingdoms theme, let bring also the Roman Empire, Persian Empire and rest of eurasian nations/tribes. If Paradox will make a period about that era, it will be more efficient if will bring entire Eurasia and North Africa.

Game focused on a single country (or small periods) will never be so popular as EU, CK, Vic and HOI series, not because are bad games, but because of limited options in selecting faction and replayability. (Sengoku and March of the Eagles)

I don't think the idea that Chinese are limited buying PI games is true. Steam sell games to Chinese, and gamersgate, and Sonkwo (an Chinese game company concentrating on importing PI games), and Greenmangaming. In fact, PI gmes started get its popularity in China in recent years.

PS1:But beware. Chinese players are very difficult to be satisfied since they are really busy in working and don't want to waste any their time and money in a just-soso game. Even Dragon Age Inquisition is regarded to be a failure because they have got Elder Scroll V. Only if your game is the best in its categoty (like Crusader Kings), it will be accepted. Or they will just play their old good games year after year.

PS2:Today my friends are talking about whether to buy Dynasty Warriors Empire 8 on steam or not, I recommand CK2 to them but they show no interest on it since CK2's character avatars are far away from sexy, or to be honest, ugly on their eyes. They like neat, efficient, direct fun.

Last edited:
PS2:Today my friends are talking about whether to buy Dynasty Warriors Empire 8 on steam or not, I recommand CK2 to them but they show no interest on it since CK2's character avatars are far away from sexy, or to be honest, ugly on their eyes. They like neat, efficient, direct fun.

It is because they are "poisoned" by Koei graphics. We, Asian, have different opinion about character appearance in games.

Become Supreme Ruler of Ancient China in Oriental Empires (PC)
Iceberg Interactive to Publish 4x Strategy Game Oriental Empires, Coming to Steam Early Access Mid-2015.

gpkprtl.jpg

wmNn9JH.jpg

J2zuHzO.jpg

http://www.iceberg-games.com/index.php?dispatch=news.list

INB4 "Oriental? THAT'S RACIST!"

Man I want that game to be good.

EDIT: I searched around and it seems really promising. The only thing I'm not clear about is how exactly the battle system will work, but I've got high hopes since it's being developed by somebody from the earlier, better TW games. The art definitely looks incredible, and hopefully the research is deep and not just about flavor.

Last edited: