How to fix Darkest Hour for Windows 8!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

tobias2220

Second Lieutenant
98 Badges
Jun 16, 2012
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Heir to the Throne
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Gettysburg
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • 500k Club
Okay so this is a thread for "Fixing" DH for Windows 8 users.

:excl:For patch 1.03:excl:
Maybe also works for 1.04, but i have not tested that yet

This is how you do it:

1. Go to your Darkest hour folder.
2. Right Click on the Darkest Hour exe and select properties.
3. In properties go to compatibility.
4. Press reduced color mode.
5. Then select 16 Bit color in the box under Reduced color mode.
6. After that you have to go open your settings.cfg
and write 1 instead of 0 in the display mode.
7. after that the game will be windowed and it has to be like that to work.

If you wanna play the game you have to launch it from the Darkest Hour.exe not the launcher
If you wanna change what mod you are playing change it in the Settings.cfg

It wont work if you dont run it in windowed mode!
And remember to only launch through the Darkest Hour.exe or it wont work

If your window goes over the windows bar you can do this: You can right click on you're windows bar and select it to hide it automaticly
and when you hover you're mouse over it then it will appear again.

Another way to this and maybe better is this from eeeex

1.) Open Notepad and paste this in it:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]
"D:\\Games\\Darkest Hour\\Darkest Hour.exe"="$ DWM8And16BitMitigation WINXPSP3 Layer_ForceDirectDrawEmulation"

2.) Save the file Click File → Save to open the save dialog. In the Save as type drop-down, select All files.

3.) Enter FixDH.reg in the File name field, and save the file.

4.) Locate the file using Explorer, and double-click it. Confirm Registry Editor's warning.

And now I can enjoy Darkest Hour in FULLSCREEN and on Windows 8 64-bit

Don't thank me, thanks to the guys that put that tutorial for Worms online and eeeex for this great method.

Another fix from eeeex

Ok.. I found this one: http://steamcommunity.com/app/215930...38051580729916

This here worked for me (I think this works only for NVIDIA users):
File: WineD3D - 1.5.22
1. Copy the content of the "WineD3D 1.5.22" folder in your Darkest Hour Installation directory (Files ONLY needed are: ddraw.dll, libwine.dll and wined3d.dll) the other files are useless.
2. Edit the 'settings.cfg' file in your Darkest Hour Installation directory
-> Set Start-up movie = 0, save the file and close it
3. Open the NVIDIA Control Panel -> Manage 3-D Settings -> Program Settings -> and add the Darkest Hour.exe, to run with the NVIDIA Processor (I have in my case 2 graphics processors, one integrated and one NVIDIA)
4. Run the game via Darkest Hour.exe

Another one

This here might work for AMD users:
File: WineD3D - 1.5.22
1. Copy the content of the "WineD3D 1.5.22" folder in your Darkest Hour Installation directory (Files ONLY needed are: ddraw.dll, libwine.dll and wined3d.dll) the other files are useless.
3. Right click on the Darkest Hour executable (Darkest Hour.exe), edit the properties and check the "Compatibility" mode
4. Set the Windows 8 color mode to 16 bit and to Windows XP SP 3 mode
5. Run the game via Darkest Hour.exe as administrator

If that doesnt work try this.

GameDir content: WineD3D
1. Copy the content of the "GameDir" folder in your Darkest Hour Installation directory
3. Right click on the Darkest Hour executable (darkest hour.exe), edit the properties and check the "Compatibility" mode
4. Set the Windows 8 color mode to 16 bit
5. Run the game via Darkest Hour.exe as administrator

If none of these have worked there are a lot of people in this forum who can help you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
wow thats exactly what I said a few weeks ago but since this post has a nice layout, someone should sticky this. :D

The problem only happens on 64bit versions
It has more causes than just the OS and type. How you set up your OS is a factor and your hardware can also be a factor...I myself have never had a problem with Windows 8 64-bit

I have windows 8 64 bit on a laptop with a 1280x800 screen. The OP solution works fine, except at 1024x768 resolution, the map filter buttons are hidden under the windows bar at the bottom. Furthermore, if I reduce the screen height further the buttons are simply off the bottom of the screen and I can't click them. Any ideas?

I have windows 8 64 bit on a laptop with a 1280x800 screen. The OP solution works fine, except at 1024x768 resolution, the map filter buttons are hidden under the windows bar at the bottom. Furthermore, if I reduce the screen height further the buttons are simply off the bottom of the screen and I can't click them. Any ideas?

You can right click on you're windows bar and select it to hide it automaticly
and when you hover you're mouse over it then it will appear again.

Sorted! I simply moved the windows bar to the right hand side of the screen and set the game resolution to 1200x768. Now it works perfectly so all I have to do is learn how to play the game...

Blenderman, if you already changed mode to windowed in settings.cfg and applied compatibility setting, you may try shrinking window size (in settings.cfg) a bit, for me the full desktop resolution also didn't work. I reduced 1920x1080 to 1900x1050 I think.

Blenderman, if you already changed mode to windowed in settings.cfg and applied compatibility setting, you may try shrinking window size (in settings.cfg) a bit, for me the full desktop resolution also didn't work. I reduced 1920x1080 to 1900x1050 I think.

Yeah, I have a 1920x1080 monitor and that worked for me too. I changed the resolution in settings.cfg to 1850x1050 and then moved my Windows Taskbar to the right side of the screen to give me a little extra room from North to South. It works perfectly.

Luckily, my game loads fine without having to do this. But my mouse and scroll are a bit slow and not very smooth. It's definitely manageable, but is that common with Windows 8?

Luckily, my game loads fine without having to do this. But my mouse and scroll are a bit slow and not very smooth. It's definitely manageable, but is that common with Windows 8?

This problem is specifically caused by Windows 8 64 bit as far as I know. Laggy mouse is solved by the OP solution.