• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(12594)

Second Lieutenant
Dec 10, 2002
Visit site
ok, this is my first AAR and actually my 6th post or something. Don't count on anything special. I'll just tell the tale as the allknowing being. Not a first-person AAR or anything like that. I'm gonna get started soon (or should i have started first?:confused:) well who cares. next post: not now :p

thanks Kurek for your message. I know I've said I wouldn't make a first person AAR but what do the readers want. Cause it's true, I've quite ran out of inspirtation so tell me how you want it.
btw, the game crashed and I can start over again. My brother's turn now:( so I'll be back tonight or something. Plz post a lot of stuff and tell me what's it gonna be.

Interesting user name.... :D

As to what the readers like like.... Hmm, your original idea sounds nice... A history book style is never ignored, neither is diary... The worst thing you could do would be simply copy pasting the log... No one wants to read that. First person is sometimes good, but not always... I suppose as long as it is not a log style, people will read. That is, if I read your post right. You were asking what we readers like, right? :)

Welcome to the habit of AAR writing. Hopefully you'll find it as addictive as all the rest of us. :) Don't worry too much though about the style, do whatever you find easiest to begin with. Later on you can experiment if you want to.

However a few tips that might help.

1. Decide how present you want the game mechanics to be. I, for example in my AAR (that is also my first) do have notes that explain the game events, and when I change the DP sliders. Some AARs include much more detailed in game information - look at Peter Ebbesen's 'Persian Tales' for the info reports at the end of his story-posts as an example. Or you could make direct mention to game mechanics at all, but just imply them through your description of events.

2. Play ahead for a few years. This gives you some idea then of where the AAR is heading when you write your posts, which is a useful aid.

3. Download Jos Theelan's EUReader. This is a very useful tool that tells you various things about your nation in comparison to others. Also it sorts out the history log into categories which is priceless at times. Here is a post which he participated in. The link is in his sig.

4. Don't be afraid to change styles half way through.

5. Have fun. This is the most important.

And I'm sure we'll all have fun reading about it.

PS - Sorry to sound a little like I'm lecturing, do it however you want but I have found all of the above to be useful.

Edit: added link

Last edited:
alright. the screenie button is the 1 with print screen right and the violence will work. i'm gonna kick some wurzburg ass (i hope) but maybe i can write it from a slodiers eye. the only 1 who's gonna live through the game. like an immortal god. and when the whole army is finished he, eeeeeehhh... walksback home and goes in the next army. thanks for all the advice. i'll restart tonight, yesterday my mom was hanging wallpaper here so.

King Ernst looked down from his window when suddenly a servant walked in. "My Lord, a chipsy wants to speek to you, he sais it's very important. Should I let him in?"
Ernst was in a good mood today and made the servant get the gipsy.
The gipsy looked very strange to Ernst, but that was not unusual with gipsys. Then he asked: "What is it you want to tell me gipsy?"
The gipsy looked into the eyes of Ernst. Ernst felt suddenly cold although it was quite hot for January. Then the gipsy spoke: "King, I come from the land of Wuertemberg, and my king wants you to have this!" With a quick stroke the gipsy pulled his sword out and pushed it right through the king's left shoulder. He was a bout to finish the king off when a guard had grabbed the Wallachian bow they had received as a gift and shot the gipsy right through the neck. Immediatly everyone rushed towards the king. "I am still alive, my friends. But will we let the Wuertembergers get away with this?! We shall declare war immediatly and send our troops there! Regensburg, you shall lead our troops!"

*just so you all know what's going on, I DoWed Wuertemberg, the story about the Walachian bow and the gipsy was just made up, tell me if you like it*

Ernst was resting his bed, that stroke was quite painful and he lost a lot of blood. Then came in the personal herald from herr Regensburg with a letter:

My king, I hope you are feeling better. I bring good news. We annihilated Wuertembergs troops and are now besieging the city. But, strange words have come to my attention. As a few merchants were passing by i heard some words. Something about the Helvetians sending gipsy's to Bavaria. Maybe it weren't the Wuertembergers. I will write you again when we have conquered the city.

Ernst looked happier now. Although the news from the Helvetians wasn't very nice to hear. The herald immediatly got a letter back:

Regensburg, you did a fine job commanding the troops. When you have conquered the city, annex the nation. We started this war and we will and it. After you conquered the city declare war on Helvetia. I don't know how long I have left to live and I want to annex nations before I die.

Another letter came in from Regensburg:

My King, we have conquered the city. Also have we declared war on Helvetia, but I have waited with the annexation of Wuertemberg for if we annex nations we could get slaughtered by other enemies.

Ernst was real mad now, in his rage he threw his book out of the window and accidentally hit a servant. This calmed him down and he wrote another letter to Regensburg:

Annex the filthy Wuertemberger traitors. We are going to annex nations untill we drop dead! But you are right my friend, we do need to watch out, and therefore we will join a strong alliance with Bohemia, Poland and Lithuania. That will keep our enemies off our backs. With a loud scream he called two heralds and sent the messages to Regensburg and a royal marriage with Poland.

At this rainy morning Ernst felt like **** and decided he wanted more war. He was going crazy and bloodthirsty, and with his new alliance he would surely win this one. He declared war on Hungary. In the next 2 days 3 heralds came rushing in with very bad news. All three alliance members had dishonored the alliance and Poland even joined Hungary. This was not good. Right after this another 2 heralds came in to inform the poor king that Baden and Wurzburg had declared war upon his fragile nation. 1 country vs 2 strong alliances and Baden. "Well, let's start with the Wurzburg alliance" he said to himself and ordered his troops towards Wurzburg.

A fe days later he heard that the Wurzburg army was totally annihilated and the Wurzburgers were offering 128 ducats for peace. "Excelant!" the king shouted. And this good news was followed by more good news the following day: The Hungarians wanted a White Peace. "Terrific, now it is us vs Baden. We'll crush them like the bugs they are and ordered the troops from Wurzburg towards Baden.

The following Ernst received some real bad news, the army was defeated in Baden and Wuerttemberg was taken by the enemy. But Ernst wouldn't give up so fast. Not wanting to loose any of his provinces he raced back to BAden right as the Baden troops were besieging Ansbach. Now all he had to dow as wait for Ansbach to be taken and Baden to charge him. With the extra 10000 troops he had hired he was unlikely to be beaten.
And the trap sprung, The Baden army was totally annihilated and now all the Bavarians had to do was wait, untill every city was within their hands again.

*in short, I DoWed Hungary and my alliance dishonored. I was DoWed by Wurzburg who pulled Hessen, The Palatinat, Muenster, Saxony and Kleves into the war. Also Baden DoWed me.

Ahh, a nice wee bit of expansion for breakfast. Fast work.

sorry Judas, but those Baden guys pissed me off sooooooo much. they have to die, at this moment I'm actually conquering their city, they made me loose a lot of battles and now that their army is gone, they go with it:p