Can't vassalise due to insufficient base tax?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm a little lost in these calculations.

Is adjusted power ratio = [Your tax base] / [Target tax base]^2

or is it adjusted power ratio = [Your tax base]^1/2 / [Target tax base] ?

My maths courses are are far away, but isn't it the same? (so long as tax base is positivie, which it should be).

:eek:

Let us say that you have a tax base of 50, and the target one of 10.

Eq 1: 50 / 10^2 = 0.5
Eq 2: SQRT (50) / 10 = 0.71

SQRT(x) / y is not equal to x / (y*y) unless y is the square root of x.

You want to quibble. OK.

Post 43: Wrong

Post 44: Right.

Post 45: ????????. (How 43 can be made into that, I cannot see: 43 states that SQRT(x) / y is equal to x / (y*y), not that (SQRT (x) / y )2 is equal to x / (y*y))

Post 46: Right.

Post 47: Save, but what's the point?

Last edited:
If that were the equation, then it would be. But it's not.
Well Bleakie said the equation was adjusted power ratio = Taxe base/ (Vassal tax base)^2 which is equivalent with saying
SQRT (adjusted power ratio) = SQRT (Tax Base) / Vassal taxe base (since every variable is strictly positive).

Since when was diplo-vassalization dependent on base tax? This wasn't mentioned in either the original patch 1.2 changelog or the 1.2.1 changelog.

Since pretty much always? There was always an income component to being able to diplomatically vasssalize a nation. They changed the formula but also changed things to allow you to vassalize nations with more than 3 provinces. Overall I like the change although the modifier formula might need some tweaking.

Since pretty much always? There was always an income component to being able to diplomatically vasssalize a nation.
Well, I never noticed that before. Then again, so far I only extensively played with the Ottomans, and in my only two playthroughs with them I only diplo-vassalized Tripoli and an Ak Koyunlu that was reduced to OPM; didn't get around to trying to do the same with Tunis or any other 3-province Muslim minor, so consequentially didn't get a "cannot diplo-vassalize" message that would've prompted me to check the cause behind it via the tooltip.

They changed the formula but also changed things to allow you to vassalize nations with more than 3 provinces. Overall I like the change although the modifier formula might need some tweaking.
This is something that I haven't seen in the changelogs as well.

You want to quibble. OK.

Post 43: Wrong

Post 44: Right.

Post 45: ????????. (How 43 can be made into that, I cannot see: 43 states that SQRT(x) / y is equal to x / (y*y), not that (SQRT (x) / y )2 is equal to x / (y*y))

Post 46: Right.

Post 47: Save, but what's the point?
Sorry about that, 43 was indeed very unclear and wrong (it was clearer in my head). By "the same", I meant "equivalent if you apply a square only to the right part of the equation", so yeah 43 does not logically go to 45. :)