• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

trekfan

Major
88 Badges
Jul 16, 2011
  • Semper Fi
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Magicka 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
2nhzsj9.jpg

Hello AARland! I will be starting a new AAR for Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness. I will be playing as the United States of America.
This will be done with the Pop Demand Mod for Heart of Darkness.

Chapter 1: The Texan War for Independence

slgrci.jpg

In 1836 The United States, after having won independence from Britain in 1783, had been setting its sights to the riches of the west. It held a vast swath of territory that was hardly organized or populated by non-natives. In order to better administer and populate land, it was divided into colonies with boundaries that would eventually decide their shapes as states.

dy7s3t.jpg

The government's policy of non-interference with the "Knights of the Golden Circle" would prove to be one of the causes of the eventual Civil War.

2ef24aa.jpg

Several abolitionist pamphlets are curtailed, further fitting in with the government's pro-south position.

2mx4wgi.jpg

The fledgling government in Texas allows the US to station troops within its borders.

Growing influence in Texas combined with Texan military defeats lead to the entrance of the United States into the war (which I forgot to take a screenshot of).

2rzeyaq.jpg

Soon afterward, Mexico ceases its hostility with Texas, wishing to focus on destroying the Americans.

sl35dt.jpg

A Battle is won

mm4j0z.jpg

2i1jd5j.jpg

A small American detachment is attacked and defeated.
Several small battles follow, with neither side able to gain a clear advantage.

4fgyb.jpg

Eventually, Mexico agrees to a status quo agreement, effectively guaranteeing the independence of Texas.

Chapter 2: Manifest Destiny

28iq07s.jpg

Following Texas' struggle for independence, a large Unitarian movement sprung up.

15zfby8.jpg

Businesses begin to see Idaho as prime real estate to invest in.

2m0bon.jpg

Disappointment in the Mexican regime leads to a revolution, toppling the government and establishing a 'more refined democracy'.

rjjims.jpg

The fugitive slave law in the Constitution is applied to several escaped slaves throughout the country.

e8q43n.jpg

As election time comes near, political campaigning steps up as Americans decide who shall run the country. Eventually, the election ends in a Conservative victory.

15x8y3a.jpg

Michigan is added to the Union as a free state, filling the southern slave holders with rage.

ioln60.jpg

Further infuriating the slave holders, the historic Amistad decision is passed.

2chx0lz.jpg

To quell tensions, Congress passes two decisions.

24pyjjk.jpg

To balance power in the senate, Kansas is added to the Union as a slave state.

Then, a chain events occurred that would change the face of history...

1z3ngbd.jpg

28hkark.jpg

3346icw.jpg

34yebzc.jpg

Reactions:
MAKE CANADA YOURS COLONIZE EUROPE USA USA USA
im sorry i love super empires beating the entire world

Chapter 3: The Mexican American War Part 1

16anp6r.jpg

US forces at the outbreak of war

t6ax61.jpg

In order to prevent a major debate over slavery during wartime, Congress passes the Clay and Douglas Draft, promoting popular sovereignty. This would prove to be one of the main causes of the Civil War a few decades later.

2gw6esw.jpg

The first battle in the war ends in victory for American forces.

33coo46.jpg

General Richard Stone suggests an immediate move toward Mexico City, in order to bring a quick end to the war. While the idea is eventually put in action, Stone himself does not participate.

i3evbr.jpg

Astronomers in Austria discover Neptune. Neptune would maintain its position as the last planet in the Solar System forever.

fo0qdw.jpg

A Pyrrhic victory for the Americans

120i1jl.jpg

A lack of US military presence in the Northwest leads to a Mexican offensive. An army laying siege to California would eventually route the Mexican force.

9uvy4n.jpg

American diplomatic efforts are a success, as a new (albeit minor) front is opened in the south.

2pqjfj6.jpg

Victory in the Northwest.

2usanif.jpg

15xnvia.jpg

Mexican forces successfully defend against an American offensive in Texas.

sn16ww.jpg

A tired and weak US army lays siege to Mexico City. If they succeed, it may bring an end to the war.

k55pwz.jpg

Defeat in Texas.

1zmjc7s.jpg

2whk0fa.jpg

The army laying siege to Mexico City is attacked and routed. This is a huge blow to the military, as at full strength the army consisted of 30k men.

Last edited:
Odd i was told you had to free all of texas to get the annex event in this mod

Chapter 4: The Mexican American War Part 2

1076nn8.jpg

An offensive in Texas is repulsed.

sn11ya.jpg

Elections begin, and many doubt that the Conservatives will be re-elected (Although they eventually prove to be victorious).

2hrl9ap.jpg

The Gag Rule, unpopular in the North, comes under attack. The Government maintains that the Gag Rule must be kept in place.

dwwh1y.jpg

American armies assemble in the West, preparing to open new offensives in Mexico.

25grrm8.jpg

Another Mexican offensive is repelled in Texas.

2i89ef9.jpg

After a battle, American forces lay siege to Sacramento.

23m9f01.jpg

The American economy cools. While not a bad thing, many economists begin to worry about the possibility of a crisis.

rap91x.jpg

2wcecew.jpg

Another American force lays siege to Mexico City. This time, it is a success.

6yh9o8.jpg

The loss of their capital and defeats on the battlefield prove to be too much for the Mexican economy. Mexico officially declares bankruptcy.

2uh261c.jpg

118k7yt.jpg

25rgz9y.jpg

Mexico agrees to sign the Treaty of Guadeloupe Hildago, forcing them to sign away the rights to their northern territory to the US. They sign an alliance with the US and are included in the American sphere of influence.

--------------------------------------------------------------
One of the good things about being sick is that I can finally update this AAR. Mexico really gave me a run for my money, a good lesson to never underestimate your opponent. But now, the war is over, and I can focus on serving more countries democracy with a side of freedom.

Last edited:
Now you need to de-activate all those southern brigades that will be turning rebel on you in the near future. Are you going to try to increase the size the the US over its historical size?