• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Following.. Canary Isles has got to be the most random and unloved province in the game.
Great to have new viewer.
As for Canary, it was entire point. Starting in hardest place and not changing "the rules of the game" during playing. (religion/culture/capital cause it affects almost everything like mercenaries/teching and similar stuff)

After some minor setbacks, it begins. Soon, all of Europe will proudly bear the Canarian colors.
... wait, is that Ireland in northern Scotland? It appears that the times aren't good for the Norsemen.
I will write more about situation in Isles in next chapter... but as I said, Ireland was the first step in ending norse rule.
I'm also planning writing overview for all Europe for 1000 y.

This is great, would be good to see you take all the Island Counties. I tried playing as Canaries myself once ... Did very badly. Picked up a few tips here.
Thanks. Unfortunately I will need to expand into mainland, want to create some empire, and only avaible are Spain/Carpathia/Byzantine/Arabian.

British Isles
Overview

UdYOxkC.jpg

Once Britannia was paradise for norseman, who could raid on left and right, steamrolling everything cause they're so cool and unbalanced.

Norse people were so bored after conquering everything there, so vikings from Jylland, who formed England started expanding towards east around Baltic Sea destroying slavic kingdom of Pomerania and creating Jomsvikings in process.

However, Norse from Skotland hadn't any other visible enemy. To stay strong and experienced they had to do some in-fighting. After formation of Skotland they were in constant civil war, which lasted for 100 years.

BMvkSj4.jpg

There were 12 kings of Skotland, but only 4 of them died while holding scottish crown. Yeah, clearly a lot of civil wars.

But then some Irish noble liberated his kingdom, but didn't stopped on this. Wanting his revange on norseman, he declared one holy war after another, every focused on weakened Skotland.

No one stand a chance with free-mongol-like army and Skotland was quickly reduced to few duchies.

But what about England?

After death of second king called Bagsecg everything got complicated, cause he has only 3 daughters,

FA5Kv4s.jpg

But local lords were wise, and crowned his firstbron as queen.

Although she was brilliant ruler, entire family was cursed. She and her sister also got 3 daughters...

How it endend you can see on screen.

Stability was lost and taking example from Skotland, local lords decided for their round of civil wars.

Her daughter wasn't liked and was replaced by her sister, who ruled only 1 year.

Lords where in trouble, who could become a king?

They gave a try to another daughter, this time of second old queen.

But then Irish liberation happened.

It was too much for terrified Queen Alfrio, who converted to catholic, wanting to be safe from irish menace.

Well, it didn't gave her fame among vassals and she was replaced by her cousin afterwards.

"Who knows? Maybe real man would save us from that horrible situation?" norse lords asked.

But there wasn't surprise and he wasn't liked too, dying in battle while trying to stabilize realm.

Finally, his daughter put off all rebels, thanks to dwarf regent.

vnWZkQy.jpg

Without doubt, gray eminence of England. There are 3 norse dukes and only 2 catholic, but probably it will change soon due to his actions.

vlWT1rH.jpg

Around 986 under his guidance young queen decided to take Wessex from weak Norse-Scots, declaring them war.

Using this opportunity, Bretons started liberation for their country against scottish queen.

Then, after few months of fighting, mighty Canaries decided to invade.

4aZ4QqW.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter 10
986 - 989
High Chief Ammuc of Canaries
Part III

HfmGglN.jpg

Still big potential, but that doesn't matter now.

g123qY1.jpg

First siege for capital.

After it was done, I had to escape, some small but dangerous army went into north.

BZCqg4F.jpg

Did another siege in the southern part... but norse tried to organize against me, so I jumped into boats again.

PjhswAT.jpg

Rescued castle and beaten one of their army.

KZmmFTr.jpg

After this queen surrendered, it was quite surprise for me, but she hadn't resources to continue war.

HTPgGwq.jpg

New lands.

aPHVdvT.jpg

Gained 4 barons vassals, 2 remained faithful to Skotland.

sFMy0RG.jpg

Classic reorganize.

d6Lzj49.jpg

Failed with one imprison.

1IhXSBA.jpg

New son, new colour, new title... and the most important, new hat.

Last edited:
Chapter 11
989 - 997
Part IV

myRwLdh.jpg

Of course won that "war".

fgNWUpc.jpg

Assigned vassals in capital. You can see how I improved those holdings in previous years.

mhvEx3c.jpg

In the far east, appearead quite fast (992).

aaqJHkI.jpg

Orkno was OPM and I had claim, well, beating it wasn't much of problem.

ocKYsGv.jpg

War didn't even ended and this.

5OeGj5J.jpg

It gonna be longer campaign.

MnnwWvp.jpg

Next province assigned to mighty empire.

tqHb2oS.jpg

Unfortunately, I gained 2 new wars from previous owner.

TZbbvs2.jpg

After 2 battles one war ended pretty fast.

oSObz3M.jpg

As for second, I had to do some siege. It means that I will be unable to push my claim instantly for Shetland, as I planned.

S7kdchz.jpg

After the war all my troops went into some raiding.

c3OFLiq.jpg

Constructed temple in western Iceland.

lEOWU1d.jpg

My vassal from Orkno. Want her dead, new one will spawn with mine culture and religion.

TBPmzjY.jpg

Civil war in Denmark? Why not.

0yGTksX.jpg

Another. What I can say, beside that I will be unable to push most of it?

oplCCX4.jpg

It never gonna be boring.

ruNKof0.jpg

Huhu.

6YMaIwJ.jpg

Funding next war.

Last edited:
Chapter 12
997 - 1005
Part V

jSEEEFT.jpg

Peace ended, so hur dur dur!

9yxA30u.jpg

Killing some small desant before my army organised itself.

kjsMnBM.jpg

Attack and annihilation of my army, biggest defeat in entire history.

'Cause I hadn't enough ships, I had to bring them into islands in 2 voyages. It was mistake as you can see.

Having -56% isn't that bad, so I will replenish my soldiers and try second attack.

Ka8Ksmu.jpg

At least she died.

MlvSygC.jpg

Killing off another desant.

OsyQWTq.jpg

Got temple in eastern side, so created new count-priest vassals.

4Tv4kFJ.jpg

Old duchess declared war for one province. That one, where I don't have control over baronies. Could be worse.

kBcDFv4.jpg

And it is. Some other guy from Ivar joined to war making entire situation dangerous.

Now when Skotland turned into catholic, I can expect a lot of holy wars.

3CZUNzF.jpg

My army, and their. For now, I can't do nothing about it.

PIY1Vtv.jpg

Converting to catholic didn't ended Skotland - Ireland conflict. Why I'm not surprised.

cTT1X8q.jpg

Well, It will be better for me to run away from that place for awhile.

vT3ARr7.jpg

Why not try again for Shetland?

All my troops landed at once and there is effect - won battle.

P4iDnez.jpg

Enemies doing their job.

jhCj6yh.jpg

Ptfno33.jpg

Damn scavengers... basically 2 new wars against me.

5ephTQo.jpg

Happily, my son grew strong enough to fight off those barbarians in future.

On1qBWn.jpg

R6TAhZ8.jpg

I thought it was enough to end Shetland problem. I was wrong.

bY1hW91.jpg

Overall for situation.

R92c2f6.jpg

Surrendered to her. Will be 2k soldiers less against me.

06g63zE.jpg

Now, as you can see only 800 left while I last only 1 castle.

0PUbd26.jpg

After I left island to beat their armies this happened. Couldn't be worse.

So many years of struggle and I will lost it no matter what.

ID7oKFw.jpg

My boys are bloodlust.

ZZlpXjC.jpg

Have hope that it's start of the long combo.

GbByHNk.jpg

Not a surprise.

c2Md4mB.jpg

Seems like everything is going too good.

One defeated, time for that child.

However, when I was having battle with his army...

2RcwL0a.jpg

Independent duke of Cornwall, another pain in the ass.

(I'm still wondering about getting beard while going into war or to the prison, huh.)

Last edited:
Chapter 13
1005 - 1010
Part VI

a.jpg

Details of new war. Well, she's old enough to die in the following years (she's 60) so have fingers crossed.

1.jpg

Battle, which I mentioned earlier. Annihilation of second duke army.

2.jpg

They were having 1800+ soldiers on the island, so no other option than surrender.

3.jpg

Another war. Probably the most dangerous, aiming at my main title. He's having same army as me, so can be hard.

4.jpg

Guy from Cornwall and some other troops sailed to my capital. Huh.

5.jpg

6.jpg

Two wars less, destroying their armies was enough. For now.

1.jpg

However, situation is still unpleasant.

2.jpg

Destroying some small stack.

3.jpg

I will defend last holding.

4.jpg

Climax...

5.jpg

Again lost.

6.jpg

Had to spend a lot of gold to kill damn host. At least, it was successful in first try.

7.jpg

Old lady don't want to die, while I lost almost all my troops. Well, I will defend until death will come for her.

8.jpg

Time for some reinforcements.

9.jpg

As you can see, even king of Scotland is against me.

10.jpg

Slowly loosing all lands.

1.jpg

Banished everyone for more gold. Who knows, maybe assasins will be needed for survival.

12.jpg

When they were doing last siege....

13.jpg

Shetland and me, fourth round.

Last edited:
Chapter 14
1010 - 1017
Part VII

1.jpg

Invaded my capital with pretty serious army, but pagan attrition is deadly for them.

2.jpg

Reinforcements. Sending more troops for death.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Another 2 claims for small nations.

5.jpg

After few years I decided to retake it. Landed army from Iceland + called local.

6.jpg

Thanks to def. bonuses and better numbers, won.

7.jpg

After few months their counter-attack.

8.jpg

Annihilated their ~2400 army in process.

9.jpg

Surprise?

10.jpg

He was probably doing some adventure.

11.jpg

Overall for last remaining war. As you can see, lady is in dungeon, so higher chances for her death.

13.jpg

Huh, probably my son will end entire conflict.

14.jpg

How character looks like in the end. So many claims lost.

Last edited:
Europe
Overview

1.jpg

Situation around (former) Umayyads Sultanate being quite stable for last decades. Andalusian empire is not conquering anything, but also not losing.

4.jpg

List of sultans.

Fadl I was conqueror from decadence, but after winning the war he was quickly overthrown by local muslim ruler.

3.jpg

Islid family being within Aghlabid lands since start of the game.

2.jpg

Spaniards in mess, with a lot of inheritance happening between local kingdoms and France/Italy/Aquitaine.

As for latter:

1.jpg

No central power there, after Karlings lost few kingdoms.

2.jpg

Two major families - Karlings and Taillefer.

Ironically, France/Burgundy ruled by frankish cadets branches, while Germany/Bavaria by german ones.

Biggest twist of last years, king of Germany married ruling king of Aquitaine.

1.jpg

After disaster, which happened after converting to catholicism, Norway rebuilded.

Only Sweden is still loyal to norse gods.

1.jpg

The most surprising, Moravia not only surviving, but even expanding in all directions.

Poland was slowly picked off by all neighbors.

Ruthenia was once local power, but having borders with hordes of pagans doesn't help.

As for Lithuania/Rus, classic.

1.jpg

Yes, like in real history, Ruthenia converted to orthodox thanks to Byzzies. Imho, it's great stuff.

But probably everyone thinks about one thing, how Hungary lost?

1.jpg

After forming they lost all free troops due to wars with Cumans/Byzzies and sometimes in the west.

This connected with spam of catholic missionaries and aggresive west approach, couldn't end in other way.

Dukes of Pecs and Temes, also count of Feher are independant catholic Magyars.

2.jpg

King of Hungary is doomed and he can't see the future.

3.jpg

The prettiest and most plausible Seljuks empire I've ever seen.

1.jpg

Shia after winning the rebellion was expanding without stopping.

They even declared war for entire Persia against Sejluks, while lost, they killed a lot of free troops.

In the screen, you can see OPM Sunni Caliphate.

1.jpg

Nothing interesting, waiting for Mongols.

1.jpg

Looks beautiful? But it wasn't always like this.

2.jpg

Catholic scars from the past.

3.jpg

But first, look at dynasty tree.

4.jpg

The first in the screen and probably the best emperor was catholic when he gained his crown.

Without any wars he converted entire empire into catholic and most than 50% provinces.

5.jpg

However, his son was independent king of Bulgaria, so when he inherited Byzantine orthodox once again was in power (and Byzantine gained entire Bulgaria by the way).

Btw. both dad and son were eunuchs.

While Basileois II only managed to survive with all his vassals being catholic, his son actually did something to bring back old glory of orthodox.

7.jpg

For more than ~50 years Byzantine was in such siutation.

Three major wars beetwen catholic and orthodox factions.

Only by winning all of them, orthodox emperors managed to eradicate all catholic weeds.

6.jpg

Some screen from 1017.

Actual king of Serbia is guy from bulgarian dynasty, and he's eunuch too!

Last edited:
Chapter 15
1017 - 1023
High Chief Isalcas II of Canaries
Part I

1.jpg

Quick summary for everyone.

Started as Canaries, conquered duchies of Iceland and the Isles. The latter in the previous years was theater of warfare, and now is controlled by some enemies.

2.jpg

Due to some inheritances and civil wars, cornish duke became baron and lost alliances. Now he's is unable to win the war, the only thing he can do is holding my lands.

3.jpg

Current ruler of the universe.

4.jpg

And his close family.

5.jpg

At the start of the new rule king of Norway is declaring war for the entire duchy with his 7k army.

6.jpg

But hey, don't worry. All lands are occupied, I can surrender while not loosing anything (not counting some prestige/piety). What a loser.

7.jpg

Starting second campaign for Finland!

8.jpg

Gathered pretty big army, considering it's only from Canaries and Iceland.

9.jpg

By the way, yes, subjugation without borders, but I already was there, so nothing bad far AAR and rules.

10.jpg

So we have a beachhead.

1.jpg

What happened?

Banished everyone, for two reasons. More army. More gold. Only vassals from Scotland were left alone.

2.jpg

Effects, 1800 army instead 1000 or something similar.

3.jpg

Just going forward, classic bloging techniques.

4.jpg

Some other count joined making war uncertain.

5.jpg

For such problems there is assasination button!

6.jpg

7.jpg

Two fails, loss of 300+ gold.

9.jpg

Before and after. I would say, it was worth it, taking into account suomenusko bonuses in homeland.

8.jpg

Another funny war for occupied lands. I didn't expect, that claimant war would be so helpful.

1.jpg

When my army appeared in Finland, my local lands were already besieged.

2.jpg

Didn't waited too long with surrendering, queen wanted to siege my capital.

3.jpg

When I got first holding, saw something interesting.

Ethiopian/miaphysite/peasant revolter was the commander of the defense. What the...

4.jpg

After getting second holding, did some moves to initiate a battle.

5.jpg

I was surprised how easily I won.

6.jpg

It's only beginning!

7.jpg

After war trying to do some raids. Can't pillage Rome and other rich provinces, I would need few hundreds troops more.

8.jpg

Didn't looked for few seconds and that happened! At least, I won (was close to my defeat).

9.jpg

Well...

10.jpg

With the death of old lady, claimant war ended and duchy of Isles was free from war. (for short time, though)

It's time for some changes.

New, big vassals. Created big one for Iceland and the Isles.

11.jpg

With new vassals, there are new laws.

1.jpg

In next chapter, taking over Mali! (yeah, kingdom of Mali, I'm not joking now.)

Last edited:
Chapter 16
1023 - 1037
Part II
Military

Now, almost 200 years of trying the conquest way, it's time for some intrigues within royal families. Ck2 isn't only about conquering next and next provinces, and shouldn't be played so.

However, my Mali takeover will be most classic and effective one, so I decided to split those years into 2 parts, each focusing on another aspect of the game. Military and medieval intrigue.

1.jpg

Few years after swearing fealty to Mali, Norway is once again trying to conquer some my lands.

It's even better, because I didn't joined to Mali for protection, and if they're still attacking me, it's mean that rules are obeyed.

2.jpg

He's damn strong, so Mali will propably loose, being unable to move their stacks into Finland.

3.jpg

Obviously, I don't want to be blocked with future conquests so I instanly attacked the weakest pagan chief in Finland.

4.jpg

After I transported my army.

Enemy forces are mostly arranged from norwegian ones, so I don't need to worry about avoiding battle.

5.jpg

They're really not joking. For decades no one did landing in Iceland.

6.jpg

A lot of holdings to siege, probably it's the richest prov in the Finland.

7.jpg

Something weird happened. King of Ireland gained one prov from Norway, he was probably vassal of the latter and gained indepedance with gaining king title.

However, probably even before becoming a king, he was captured by mali forces. Huh.

Now, Ireland is having like 3 civil wars.

8.jpg

After everyone sieged everything they can, Mali after using some magic boats appeared there.

9.jpg

Norway seeing their army, left this place, allowing to recover lost lands.

1.jpg

Having 2x more soldiers I started battle without thinking... and I lost, prolonging the war for another years.

2.jpg

Another host with his 7k army attacked the Isles. He's having so many troops, because army is scaling to senior one (kingdom of Mali).

3.jpg

Almost all my lands completely occupied, nothing new though.

4.jpg

Bad news, Scotland once again is trying to wipe me out.

5.jpg

Before second battle, did some unusual trick. I gave order to my army that they should attack... and then canceled it. AI after seeing my soldiers marching decided to move forces into my province. However, when I caneled, they not, and I was in total defending. (if I would attack and they defend, my loss would be obvious)

6.jpg

Thanks to bonuses from terrain battle was won and I gained 100% warscore in total.

7.jpg

Something beautiful.

8.jpg

While I conquered province, Mali reconquered lost ones.

9.jpg

Unlucky, due to campaign in Finland we couldn't defend my capital from host.

1.jpg

I'm slowly realizing, that conquering duchy of the Isles was horrible mistake. Everyone want to posses it...

2.jpg

Fortunately and unexpectedly, white peace with Norway.

3.jpg

First host is having almost 100%, it's time to create another duchy title, to not lose vassals after end of the war.

4.jpg

And he won! Ironically, main holding were temples... so he became king-bishop. Funny view. Varangarian guard, norse, catholic, and king-bishop in some scottish isles.

5.jpg

Orkney is still mine, so I lost only 2 provs.

Chapter 17
1023 - 1037
Part II
Intrigues

This chapter can be treated as some sort of guide, using that "tactic" any doux under Byzantine can gain entire empire in one generation! I started few times under ERE testing it and it's work perfectly, always gaining ERE as first character or son/grandson of first character. Obviously, it works probably in almost every kingdom/empire.

Basically, I need to mary some daughter from royal family to my heir, kill everybody until she became the ruling queen and have child with my child/me. Then kill her, and myself (and my heir) and I'm playing as child-king. If the family of queen after her death is destroyed I can just kill my grandchild inheriting entire state (if someone from her family is living, her dynasty members have priority in inheriting main title. However, not always, so just check to be sure.)

1.jpg

At the start killed king of Mali. He has only one daughter and he wanted only to matri marry her, so there is no other option.

2.jpg

In the meantime, some civil war broke out. Royal faction needs to win, otherwise, it will end my big plot.

3.jpg

Killed new queen, as you can see, another child of previous ruler was born.

4.jpg

Family tree.

After all "red" marked people, yellow daughter will inherit.

5.jpg

So, obvious move. Marry her with my heir, so her children will be members of my dynasty.

6.jpg

Used plot to kill him too.

7.jpg

Current ruler of the realm.

8.jpg

Killed her younger son.

9.jpg

Happily, royal forces are bigger.

1.jpg

And won the main battle, so rebellion ended in next months.

2.jpg

Her first son, heir to the kingdom is liked too much, needs to use magic button.

3.jpg

That's what I wanted.

4.jpg

Some counter-assasin but it doesn't matter if I would be killed or no.

5.jpg

Now, it's official.

6.jpg

Few years later I got, what I wanted.

7.jpg

Too low, I will need to use assasin button again...

8.jpg

How it looks in family tree.

9.jpg

Now, the tricky part. I imprisoned all of them (they're all in my court so almost 100% in each case). After killing ruling queen, I could just execute every prisoner, making entire plot a lot faster.

10.jpg

Other, more clever screenshot.

11.jpg

At start failed, but it just matter of gold, which is almost always unlimited.

12.jpg

And here we are.

13.jpg

Executed her and...

14.jpg

My future character.

15.jpg

The problem is, that he's third in the line of the sucession.

16.jpg

It was quite fast.

17.jpg

Targed completed... but for sure?

How I can kill myself?

18.jpg

First, fire spymaster.

Second, find some ruler with highest intrigue.

19.jpg

In my game, it was Sejluks with 33 intrigue. Of course, I had something like 80% to be discovered.

20.jpg

Their sucessfull counter.

21.jpg

:)

Last edited:
That's quite an evil guide though. :cool:

Do you have another male kin left to fall back to if this one dies early ?

That's quite an evil guide though.
Thanks!

Do you have another male kin left to fall back to if this one dies early ?
Everywhere laws are agnatic-cognatic so it doesnt matter.
My kin will only inherit kingdom of Mali (and other titles) if entire dynasty of my mother would be destroyed.
There are 20 living members so I don't even think about it.
If I will die, propably I will give Canaries to some random lady from my dynasty to not end AAR, but from my exprience, such death is unlikely.

Chapter 18
1037 - 1052
Sultan Isalcas III of Canaries
Part I

1.jpg

Just look at coats, it was my damn destiny to "conquer" Mali.

2.jpg

And if someone is interested, my new character.

3.jpg

After few first years of rule king of Norway declared war for some island. Without thinking, clicked "surrender" button. He has too big army, with me being unble to have proper transportation. (you know, from in-Africa Mali)

4.jpg

By the way, interesting character.

5.jpg

Some factions formed, but nothing dangerous. If they would be united... but hey, they aren't.

6.jpg

History repeats.

7.jpg

Yes, first Sejluk died. It's sad to watch this.

8.jpg

Small crisis in Umayyad blob. Why not take advantage from it?

9.jpg

Stormed castle few days before main royal army arrived. Quite lucky.

1.jpg

New vassal in Finland. Don't want to exceed the limit of demense.

2.jpg

Without tooltip "dangerous faction" it showed up. Classic.

3.jpg

At start, one count and one duke. Seems too easy.

4.jpg

And now it makes sense!

5.jpg

Happily, they didn't merged armies.

6.jpg

First beaten.

7.jpg

Second beaten.

9.jpg

Third beaten too, using troops from Canaries.

8.jpg

In the north lands something strange happened... now I regrets that I gave up eastern part.

1.jpg

But it wasn't the end of troubles. They hired mercs (Ghanian Band, the only one avaible mercs for west Africa).

2.jpg

3.jpg

It was good battle, but thanks to only-center tactic + their crossing the river I won having really small losses for such difference in amount of troops.

4.jpg

And now, biggest vassals are in my dungeons. Lovely.

5.jpg

If I won civil war, why I should vegetate again? Yes, invasion of Rus (from Mali)! XI century is good time for ambitious rulers with imagination.

6.jpg

How it looks after first months. (mainly focused on brining forces from Mali to Russia)

Last edited: