• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I fear I no longer have internet at my house because of renovations. First time I've been online for about a week now. Played up to a few rulers after this and of course my plans backfired, slightly.

I should have Hildegard part 2 up on Wednesday before classes start.

Sucks when the internet isn't available! As far as the game goes sometimes its better to read when plans backfire :) but anyways looking forward to the next update!

Hildegard I von Tyrol
Lived: 1100-1159
Duchess of Tyrol: 1101-1159
Countess of Tyrol: 1101-1159
Countess of Osterreich: 1101-1145
Countess-Consort of Sopron: 1121-1159
Queen-Consort of Hungary: 1123-1159
Queen-Consort of Poland: 1146-1159
Kaiserin-Consort of Carpathia: 1146-1159
Countess of Vegl: 1152-1159
Part 2

With so few allies and supporters, Salamon was dethroned in only seven months. Hildegard I became the Queen of Hungary, and so her children would one day inherit that throne. Only a year later, she gave birth to her first son, Humbert. In order for both parents to spend time with their child, Gergerly moved the capital of Hungary to Sopron. This proved an invaluable move over the coming decade.

Only just come to power many of the Dukes attempted to force Gergerly to do as they said. When he refused to give into their demands rebellions would break out to supplant him as King. The first was to place Bela Arpad, Duke of Ungvar, as King in 1125. Then in 1128 it was Duke Domotor Arpad of Pest, only a month after Bela was defeated. The last was Istavan, Duke of Moldau, in 1131. Each of these rebellions failed thanks to the assistance of the Tyrol troops.

This brought peace back to Hungary as there was nobody who could stand against the combined might of Gergerly Arpad and the Duchess Hildegard I von Tyrol. Their eldest son, Humbert, would go on to marry Kaiser Bernhard's daughter, Osterhild Salian, in 1141. That same year the Kaiser, who was also King of Bohemia, went to war with King Gergerly. Not wishing to take sides, Hildegard sent no troops to aid either which meant her husband lacked the strength to stand up to the might of the Holy Roman Empire. His defeat came in less then a year, and he was forced to surrender three provinces of Bohemia to the Kaiser.

Ashamed by this defeat, Gergerly sought the power to stand against his two powerful neighbors; the Holy Roman Empire and the Byzantine Empire. With his mother's death in 1143, who was a distant relative of the King of Poland, Gergerly declared war for the Kingdom of Poland in his own name. Having no qualms with fighting against Poland, Duchess Hildgard sent her armies to aid her husband. This war dragged on for three years, but in the end Hildegard became Queen for the second time in her life. With land nearly equal to that of his two neighbors, Gergerly named himself Emperor of Carpathia with his wife taking the German for of Kaiserin of Carpathia.

The remainder of the Kaiserin Hildegard's reign was rather peaceful. All save a minor conflict with the Doge of Venice for the County of Vegl in 1151-52. These lands would go to her youngest son, Lajos, after her death. While Humbert had been named Count of Osterreich in 1145.

Three years after her conquest of Vegl, Hildegard von Tyrol's body gave up on her. She could no longer walk without assistance or do much else. Her mind still worked, and she put it to use as she guided her lands until her death in 1159. Hildegard I was the first Queen and Kaiserin of the von Tyrol line, even if it was through marriage. She would go down as the most powerful Duchess of Tyrol and last to hold the rank as the highest position for her family.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With the formation of the third Empire and first Empire that is not at the start of the game I decided to post a picture of the map shortly after it's creation. I hope you all are enjoying this AAR so far. The Kaiserin-Consort is dead and now the reign of her son and heir to the Empire of Carpathia is about to begin his reign. Also Hildegard's other two sons, Ludwig and Lajos, are the heirs of the Kingdoms of Hungary and Poland.

Humbert I von Tyrol
Lived: 1124-1178
Count of Osterreich: 1145-1170
Duke of Tyrol: 1159-1178
Count of Tyrol: 1159-1178
Kaiser of Holy Roman Emperor: 1170-1178
King of Italy: 1173-1178

Humbert I von Tyrol is the greatest von Tyrol of the 11th and 12th century. He was an ambitious man who took his family to new heights of power that would eventually crumble following his death. Nevertheless, he showed his family what they could accomplish.

Besides when Albrecht I was named Duke of Tyrol in 1075, Humbert I was the only other von Tyrol who rose to the position as an adult. Humbert came to power in Tyrol following Count Dietmar von Tyrol's death in 1143. With his death Humbert found himself General of the Tyrol forces where he assisted his father in the capture of Poland in 1144-46. During this campaign he was awarded the County of Osterreich. He would later capture the County of Vegl from the Doge of Venice in 1151-52.

Seven years later and Humbert was informed by Count Otto von Tyrol of Innsbruck that his mother had passed away. She had named him her successor to the Duchy of Tyrol, but his youngest brother, Lajos, was given the County of Vegl. Only the middle brother, Ludwig, did not receive anything. Their mother was still angry with him for not marrying the future Queen of France. He wanted sons of his own who would inherit the family name. Just like she had wanted when searching for her own husband.

Unlike the previous Duke and Duchesses of Tyrol, Humbert did not expand his territory through conquest of his neighbors. Instead he found allies by way of politics and marriages. With three children all coming of age, he found them good partners. His eldest, Reinaud, was a great warrior who many compared to his great grandfather, Albrecht II. Like Albrecht II, Reinaud lived a short life. Dying at the young age of only twenty-one years, Reinaud left behind no children. Meaning his younger brother, Boudewijn, became the new heir to the Duchy of Tyrol. Boudewijn did not have the warrior spirit of the von Tyrols. Even the sight of blood made the boy turn pale. In the eyes of Humbert I, Boudewijn was a true disappointment. Humbert still found the child a good wife from the Duchy of Upper Burgundy.

Mid-Jue 1170, Humbert was summoned to the County of Jilech for a meeting of the electors. Their Kaiser, Bernhard I Salian, who had led them for 37 years had passed away. It was time to choose the new Emperor to lead them. For the past 146 years the men of House Salian had led the Empire. In this election there were four men all in contention to see themselves made the new Emperor. King Hesso I Wigeriche of Lotharingia, the Kaiser's two sons, Bernhard and Wigerich, and lastly Duke Humbert I name was also put forward.

King Hesso only received a single vote by himself. Not surprisingly since he had led three rebellions in the past decade against Kaiser Bernhard I's rule. In the end it was Duke Humbert who was named Kaiser. Thanks to a mixture of his friends and allies he made as well as the split vote of the Salian supporters between two possible candidates. That and there was the fact that Humbert himself and married Kaiser Bernhard's eldest daughter which gave him a few of the Salian votes as well.

His first act was to name Boudweijn the Count of Osterreich in order to judge if he deserved to be named the Duke of Tyrol following his death. Four days later, he led the Empire's Southern Army into northern Italy to recapture some of the land. By August of 1170 the Empire was taking part in two additional wars. Kaiser Humbert's father needed assistance in capturing Greater Poland which he sent the Eastern Army under the Duke of Carinthia to assist with. At the same time his son-in-law, King Antso VI of Navarra, needed help against the Muslims' of eastern Iberia. He sent the Western Army of the Empire under the Duke of Brunswick to help here. Each of these wars ended in victory thanks to the might of the Empire's armies by October of 1171. Shockingly it was the minor county in northern Italy that held out the longest. Thanks to aid from the Dog of Venice, long time rival of the Holy Roman Empire.

Looking to further his family's position, Humbert named himself King of Italy in 1173. At this time the Holy Roman Empire controlled most of northern Italy, the southern half was split between the Byzantine Empire and the King of Sicily, and the western border belonged to the Doge of Pisa and his brother the Doge of Genoa, and of course the Pope.

The final years of Humbert's time as Kaiser was much like his beginning years, spent in battle. In 1173 he moved against the Doge of Pisa taking the lands of Genoa for himself. Then in 1174-75, he marched north capturing the County of Mecklenburg from the revolting Count before the Pomeranian King could put him down. The last war was from 1176-77 against the King of Pomerania for the entirety of the Mecklenburg duchy.

The war was going in the Kaiser's favor. That is up until the final battle where Humbert took a hard blow to his head. The war would still be won, but the Kaiser would be bedridden for the rest of his days. Where his mother lost control of her body, Humbert lost control of his mind. Then on April 11, 1178, the Kaiser passed away. His only living son, Boudewijn von Tyrol was named his successor as both Kaiser and King of Italy. The only question was if Boudewijn would achieve anything. Humbert at least saw very little in his son.

Hurray for the return of the AAR. Although I did not expect such a sudden rise to power. :)

Indeed it is. Once the renovations are complete, mid-October, I will be able to post more regularly again. Until then I won't be able to post again until next week some time. For that reason I have posted an additional von Tyrol today.

Carpathia has been formed! Should be interesting to see the map after the inheritances

It would have been so beautiful to see the Holy Roman Empire combine with the Kingdom of Italy and the Carpathian Empire. Sadly it will not be so. As I said my plan backfired slightly and Humbert died before his father did. Humberts son's son was the leader of the von Tyrols by the time Gergerly finally died. He lived to be 83 or 93.

Very nice...so the two Empires are held by the von Tyrol Dynasty...seems you have them rising faster than I had expected :) And yeah always horrible how a plan gets sidetracked due to someone living a long long long time. Some of my plans kind of went south due to a long living ruler.

What culture group is Boudewijn? Hungarian? Only ask since he carries the title Emperor instead of Kaiser.

Oh okay it was looking Dutch but wasn't sure. Interesting to see a Dutch Emperor though, I'm sure the Germans aren't all that pleased with him.

Interesting stuff, Etzel; a practically meteoric rise for the dynasty. One only hopes that this can be sustained. Considering four record with death and such, I'm suspending my optimism for just a little while yet. ;)

Will be following as best I can from here on in.

Boudewijn I von Tyrol
Lived: 1144-1181
Count of Osterreich: 1170-1181
Kaiser of Holy Roman Emperor: 1178
King of Italy: 1178-1181
Duke of Tyrol: 1178-1181

Boudewijn I, or later known as Baldwin, was thought of as weak by his father, and later proved how weak he was to the entire world. Like many of his ancestors, his reign only lasted three years. In just those three years as the Duke of Tyrol, his vassals grew tird of him and had him rmoved.

Boudewijn was the younger son of a powerful man who many, including his father, ignored. He would only inherit a small amount of land and so his skills, or lack there of, was not important. Still his father found him a good match in the eldest daughter of the Duke of Upper Burgundy for a wife. Following Humbert's eldest dying in 1164, the Duke of Upper Burgundy's only son died as well. This made this useless couple the heirs to a large portion of central Holy Roman Empire. After serving as Kaiser for eight years, Humbert von Tyrol's body finally gave out in 1178. Humbert had no control of his own thoughts his final year of life, so many saw his death as a mercy. Yet his strength still ensured that his useless son inherited both the Empire and the Kingdom of Italy following his death.

Boudewijn's first action was to order his Italian army to move to capture the province of Modena. With the majority of his forces engaged in a war with the Doge of Pisa, his northern vassals moved against him at Tyrol. On the 26th of June, the Dukes of Saxony, Carinthia, Koln, Bohemia, Brunswick, Bavaria, Luxemburg, the King of Lotharingia, and even Count Ruprecht von Appenzall of Steiermark, grandson of Count Gebhard, arrived with their forces. Completely cut off from his army, Boudewijn agreed to their demands for a true German to be Emperor. They chose Duke Wolfram von Weimar of Carinthia to take his place as Emperor. As a mercy he was allowed to keep the title of King. Even though many thought the Itlaians would soon do the same as they did to the man.

The Italian forces would capture Modena by the end of 1178 and then the County of Urbino from the Duke of Baden in 1179-80. It was at this time that the new Kaiser decided that there would no longer be any elections held for the title of Kaiser. It caused to many issues and so his son would inherit the Empire following his death.

Oddly the Kingdom of Italy was still an elected position. Growing tired of Boudewijn's lack of skill his vassals the Duke of Tuscany along with the Duchess of Verona and Susa had him killed for as they put it "better of the kingdom". Boudewijn I was the weakest of all the von Tyrol Counts. Even Gebhard I at least gave up her titles in favor of a better von Tyrol leader. Before his death, Boudewijn came to terms with his family heritage and agreed that he was truly a German. Something he imparted on his son and heir Baldwin II. This was not enough to keep his life, but it may seem fruitful for his son.

Ah. Not the best page in the von Tyrol histories.

That said, a poor ruler always makes for very interesting reading. Nicely done, Etzel.

Thanks. This upcoming ruler is by far the greatest in Tyrol history. He maybe split up into quite a few parts. I've only played as Baldwin II for 12 years and he has already done quite a lot. He is doing so well I almost don't like him anymore. If that makes sense. I almost want to find ways to weaken him, but not quite sure how to do that yet. Thinking of a few ways to make the upcoming post interesting.

I'm coming up with an issue should Baldwin die. Currently he has three sons and a daughter. One son will be given one high rank, the middle another, but the final son will be receiving the Duchy of Tyrol as his highest rank. Should I follow the eldest and obviously most powerful or the one who is the Lord of Tyrol? Or do you guys think I should start doing posts of different brothers and follow them all as best as I can?

Honestly, I'd go for following just the Tyrolean branch of the family. Cadet branches can often be more interesting than just being really powerful all the time.

Just discovered this AAR thanks to your being the character writer of the week. I love the focus on the rulers, and am excited to see where this AAR goes.