• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The title says it all. It's very frustrating to me. I'm a king. I gain lands and duchy title. I destroy duchy title then give the lands to a duchy under my realm. Duke promptly re-creates title I have just destroyed. :mad:

Invite 3 holy men (for 15 prestige), give a county to each, assuming it's a 3 county dutchy. It'll buy you some time, at least. Otherwise there's no way to prevent someone underneath you from creating a title if they meet the requirements...

You need 51% of the lands to form the duchy, simply don't give anyone 51%. Why would you even give the duke new lands if you didn't want him to be stronger?

1. Grant each county to a different character.
2. Split them up, transfering their vassalage between 2/3 dukes.
3. Watch dukes fight for control of the other pieces.
4. ???
5. Profit.

4. ???
5. Profit.
Eventually, though, you get an uber-duke (archduke? that should totally be a title) who's really hard to keep down.

In my games, when I become king, I try to have as few dukes as possible in my realm. So if I'm the King of France, I only want to have 3-4 super dukes under me, like there'd only be two occitan dukes down under, one in HRE border, one near Britanny and one duke owning the lands facing the Channel. And the reason I only want them to have one title is because when duke dies and gavelkind kicks in, my realm becomes fragmented, littered with teeny little dukes who have teeny little lands. And that for me is a pain in the a** to manage. :(

4. ???
5. Profit.
This is interesting.

I'm wondering what exactly you are trying to achieve and how your vassals creating ducal titles is an impediment to it.
He wants super dukes who only hold one duchy title. His vassals are stuck in gavelkind and create extra duchies, so their lands get split.
Which results in dukes who only hold one duchy title, when their lands get split....
I'm still kinda confused by it.

Eventually, though, you get an uber-duke (archduke? that should totally be a title) who's really hard to keep down.

It wouldn't create anything worse than what he's already making by giving one duke two duchies worth of vassals. In my scenanio, one of the three dukes may come to possess two duchies eventually, but not all four that are in play unless he schemes super hard.