• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lucius Drake

Major
69 Badges
Oct 19, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
I'm play an MP game with a friend in which we intend to convert over to EU4 upon completion. I'm play as the restored Roman Empire, and I have intentions to convert the empire to Catholic. Since that opens up Holy Orders to me at some point, I was wondering how you could go about vassaling them. I know that doing so reduces their maintenance significantly, and that is something I want to take advantage of as the Muslims dominate our game.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

To vassalize a holy order, the easiest way is to grant them a duchy inside your de jure kingdom, and suggest them vassalization. If you're not catholic, you won't even have that option.

It doesn't just reduce the maintenance significantly. It makes it 0. So you just hire them once and can keep them raised the entire game.

Edit: That's only true for holy orders.

It doesn't just reduce the maintenance significantly. It makes it 0. So you just hire them once and can keep them raised the entire game.

Edit: That's only true for holy orders.

so it does not work for Varangians / ERE or Ghanian band/Mali?

you need same religion and same culture to get them accept your vassalisation.

Only same religion. If you have the same culture, they will accept your vassalization offer as a king. But if you are an emperor, you don't need same culture.

so it does not work for Varangians / ERE or Ghanian band/Mali?

What I meant was that maintenance is 0 only for vassalized holy orders. For vassalized mercs, you still have to pay a small amount, though that amount is much, much less than what you'd pay if they weren't vassalized.

Does the AI ever do this? Besides with the already existing varangian (sp?) guaall d?

Also would other natons still be able to hire them if they are not active in the field?

All the holy orders in my game are stuck at 0 manpower for eternity for some reason it seems.

I vassalized the Teutonic Order with Miaphysite Nubia once.

Managed to get a claimant into my realm, landed him, pressed his claim, and voila, vassal Teutons.

Does the AI ever do this? Besides with the already existing varangian (sp?) guaall d?

Also would other natons still be able to hire them if they are not active in the field?

All the holy orders in my game are stuck at 0 manpower for eternity for some reason it seems.

to answer your second question; holy orders can be hired by other nations, thats why you should just keep them in the field coz it wont cost you anything anyways. for merc's its just like varangian guard, meaning that others cant hire them.

Im not sure abt mercs, never tried to vassalize them, but I've seen them take over weak kingdoms, so it might be the same to give them some land, be same religion and then vassalize them.

Mercs are a bit tricky... You can't really GIVE them SOME land... What you have to do is not pay them, Make them invade a piece of land that isn't apart of your main Kingdom, (They invade the De Jure Kingdom of the province they are in) Lose to them, then get the dejure Title above their new duchy (It HAS to be a duchy to work, other wise the Duke Merc title trumps any De Jure county ties.) Then, you can vassalize, assuming your relations are too low from the war.