+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rome 2

Rome 2

Is it time for Rome 2? Is it?! The Creative Assembly rome 2 was a huge let-down as to be expected, but I think with EU IV, Paradox is on the right track and Rome 2 could become an amazing game!

Please, Old Gods of the Mediterranean, LET IT BE SO!

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria: RevolutionsSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

- On the boat since The Release of EU1 -
    - Road to hell is paved with good intentions -

Interested in extremely well thought of realistic hardcore near future SCIFI setting? Check out 2300AD. Mankind has just started to colonize nearby starsystems and encountered the first alien species

WOAW... I am stunned.. What is the logic behind that!! So many people love the time period.. And why not for a long, long time? Does that mean they plan-out there games a long time ahead and it isn't on the planning or they said to themselves.. lets not do Rome 2 again for a long... long time... :/

Blegh, I watched this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWsCobcGtCk

No more paradox for me.. :/

Paradox has said no to rome 2. I think its a shame it is a popular time period and paradox has got alot of new people from ck2 who might be interested in it, especially if it has more character focus than rome 1

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEU3 Complete500k club

"In democracy, it's your vote that counts. In feudalism, it's your count that votes."
    Quote Originally Posted by jordypordy View Post
    Is it time for Rome 2? Is it?! The Creative Assembly rome 2 was a huge let-down as to be expected, but I think with EU IV, Paradox is on the right track and Rome 2 could become an amazing game!

Please, Old Gods of the Mediterranean, LET IT BE SO!
    In addition to what was already said, Shams also said two other things: "Rome 2 isn't currently on the production pipeline." (The production pipelines extends some 5 years into the future)

He also said that a reasonable expectation for when Paradox might develop Rome 2 would be 2018-2020.
    "Chavez is leading his people into better future, after ages of explotation they have something to be happy about. Positive thing is also that he suport good causes all over south america and world too a sign of true greatnes." -Ivio
    "Yes, Stalin said the same thing." -Tufto

"I think I'm going insane. I can like FEEL each second and minute passing and it's making me go insane because like I could be building skills in those minutes instead of making a forum post or listening to music or g-chatting with a colleague. I can feel it in my brain and in my body. It's terrible.[...]Anyone else have this?" -EFT
    "Only when I read your posts." -trajan

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldRome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Variton View Post
    Damn! I had big hopes the next announcement would be Rome 2.

Ask how many Divisions I have! InnocentIII's Avatar
    A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultDiplomacy
    East India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Dandy View Post
    Damn! I had big hopes the next announcement would be Rome 2.
    Same here. I guess it sold poorly? I thought it was perfect for a quasi-CK2 game.
    I follow Paradox on Twitter and have Johan's photo on my phone for Twitter messages. I also follow the Pope. When the Pontiff tweets, I see the picture and lately I wonder "yes, but is Johan speaking ex cathedra?"
    Check out my Vicky2 AAR: Last Tango in 1.3 - An Argentine AAR Favorite Gameplay AAR, Vicky1/2 2011 (Round 3) - Completed
    Five for Fighting - A Canadian HoI3 AAR WritAAR of the Week (December 11th - December 18th, 2011) AAR Showcase Week of 6/17/12 - Completed

Why must you break my heart Paradox ;_;

DONT TREAD ON ME Moderator TheLoneGunman's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultEast India Company
    East India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneIron Cross
    King Arthur IIThe Kings CrusadeMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

I'm waiting for Shams to get a Kickstarter going for Rome 2.

Edit: Shameless Plug
    Last edited by TheLoneGunman; 18-09-2013 at 01:54.
    "also most of paradox rise as a successful company can be attributed to the motivating powers of "Mr Nibbles", a vicious old platypus specimen Johan keep locked in a drawer. Whenever a programmer isn't working fast enough, or introduces a bug Mr Nibbles is let out of the box to give the perpetrator a nasty bite." - podcat

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

I think there's a huge market for this era through to the CKII Old Gods period. You could have two games in this period and have converters.
    Traits: Thrifty clerk, Poet, Kind, Deceitful, Charitable, Wroth, Proud, Ambitious, Arbitrary, Homosexual, Zealot

I'm sure Rome 2 would be a great success. Paradox fans loved Rome 1 despite it's rough shape at the release, the game sold well and it almost got a second expansion, but EU 3 fans were more numerous and the Roman period is currently immensely popular in the pop culture, in addition to being exotic and sexy. There are only three reasons why Paradox doesn't want to do it:
    1. The Romans were very un-PC by todays standards and stuff like slavery, or cultural imperialism was not even questioned back then. Maybe Paradox is afraid of negative backlash that might come due to portraying such controversial topics?
    2. They aren't happy with some mechanics in the original Rome game, but don't know how to improve them.
    3. They just have so many cool ideas for games that there is no time left for Rome.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron Cross
    Leviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Eu:Rome was a bad combination of EU campaign, CK1 character gameplay and oversimplified V1 populations.
    But it was stepstone towards V2 and Ck2. Also thanks to Rome the Devs probably avoided making same mistakes in Eu3 expansions and later on in Eu4.

Let's say it was a 'demo' towards their later games.

Next time they really need to figure out how to make a Eu:Rome game that uses well the Eu4 campaign, CK2 character RPG-mechanics/civil wars/factions/mercenaries and Victoria populations.
    History of mankind is also a history of ecology and economy; until they figure out how to portray ancient economics and trade mechanics well in a game set in ancient era, they should not really consider a Eu:Rome 2.

I think the problem is that there isn't much of a challenge for most of the period, just a massive Rome steamrolling everyone. There are also relatively few countries, those that are at least feasible anyway.

On the positive side, as someone else mentioned, the period is a very popular one. Also the role playing element is now very popular, what with CK2, which is as successful at the moment it seems as the most popular games like EU & Hearts of Iron series. I think its popularity may well have taken Paradox by surprise. So on this aspect there is hope.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition

One possibility is to expand the map to include China and India. I think a CKII style character system in this era is a must.
    Traits: Thrifty clerk, Poet, Kind, Deceitful, Charitable, Wroth, Proud, Ambitious, Arbitrary, Homosexual, Zealot

Achtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireKing Arthur II
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaNaval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black CoveVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuShip Simulator ExtremesSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesV2 AHD BetaPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight

My icons and I want Rome 2. Sad to hear it isn't even in the "pipeline"

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultDungeonland
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneLeviathan: WarshipsMagickaRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event
    EUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Not going to happen unfortunelty, which weird since the ancient period is one of the most popular, probably the most if we ignore WW2 and the Medieval Era. Let's just hope that Paradox reminds itself that some of them thought making Vicky II was a bad idea and it actually turned to be a reasonably successful game.
    The Eternal State - a DH-KR Ottoman AAR - Dropped due to health reasons

Struggle for the Mediterranean - a BOR Punic War MP AAR
    - Dropped due to AGEOD leaving Paradox

One of these days I will actually finish an AAR

"Holy Roman Empire. Neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire. But it doesn't have any oil so no reason for military intervention" -Voltaire.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulstrider View Post
    Not going to happen unfortunelty, which weird since the ancient period is one of the most popular, probably the most if we ignore WW2 and the Medieval Era. Let's just hope that Paradox reminds itself that some of them thought making Vicky II was a bad idea and it actually turned to be a reasonably successful game.
    CK2 was even thought less likely of being a hit than Vicky II at the time, and that has proved everyone wrong.

Arsenal of DemocracyCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Pride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
    One possibility is to expand the map to include China and India. I think a CKII style character system in this era is a must.
    Why is it a must? Do people who say this even know how Rome worked, republic or empire? Families had a role only within the city of Rome. So if your family is not ruling, what on earth are you supposed to do during that time???

Private
    53 games registered

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultDungeonlandEast India Company
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneImpireKing Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic CirclePenumbra - Black Plague
    Pirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Ship Simulator ExtremesSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarThe Showdown Effect
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of NationsKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
    500k clubTeleglitch: Die More EditionEUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IVWarlock 2: The Exiled

Rome has been done to death.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast