• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MondoPotato

Captain
101 Badges
Oct 18, 2008
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
Chronica Hungarorum
The story of the Kingdom of Hungary

Hello to readers and welcome to my second foray into the world of AAR writing! For the one or two of you that might be reading my first AAR, The Republic, don't worry, I'm still writing that AAR and The Republic will be my primary AAR of focus until it's completed. As such, this AAR won't be updated on a regular schedule for a while until the first one is finally done. So why am I posting this one up?

Long story short, I've had a nasty flu for about a week, which put my AAR writing for The Republic on hold while I recovered. I started playing a game of Crusader Kings... and one thing led to another... and before I knew it, I had the early beginnings of a new AAR. Initially I figured I should just wait until the first one was done before posting up another, but I figured if I didn't just post it, I'd probably forget about it or start fiddling and tweaking and adjusting until I just never posted it at all. So here we are!

For my second AAR, I wanted to get out of my usual world of Victorian era politics and go way back to an earlier age... a darker age... back when men were men, women were concubines, children were routinely assassinated, and mighty nomad warriors roamed the eastern steppes.

Inspired by the other fantastic Magyar/Hungarian AAR's out there on the forums right now, I bring you the Chronica Hungarorum! I hope you enjoy it!

Note of caution: This AAR will be mainly made up of images.

Chapter 1: The Sack of Carpathia
Chapter 2: The Invasion of Moravia
Chapter 3: The Fall of Bulgaria
Chapter 4: The Sack of Rome
Chapter 5: Dyrrachion
Chapter 6: The Roman War & the Fall of Constantinople
Chapter 7: The Chronicle of Almos II
Chapter 8: The Blessed
Chapter 9: The Chronicle of King Atilla

dk17.jpg

Last edited:
Great! Another warlord joins the wolfpack :p I wonder if our campaigns will be totally different....

Nice style!I will definatly follow this.

Must say I love your AAR already. I love the way it is written and just the overall beauty of it. Especially how you tie in things that happen in game with great story telling and concepts that generally make sense. I'm curious though did Almos just die or did you actually suicide him?

Nice AAR, rivaling that of your Central American AAR.

Hope you convince the Magyars to convert to Catholicism in the future.

Wow, your graphics here are truly stunning. I'm incredibly impressed at the look you managed to create here, it must have taken a hell of a lot of work. I'm also really enjoying the writing as well. I've been a keen follower of your Central American AAR for awhile now, I'd say that if you keep up making updates like this then this AAR is going to be even better!

Looks like this could well become the best AAR on the CK2 forum. :)

Great! Another warlord joins the wolfpack :p I wonder if our campaigns will be totally different....

I'd bet they wind up pretty different. It's rare to see two games of CKII run the same course, especially in a part of the map as volitile as the Magyars/Hungary is placed.

Nice style!I will definatly follow this.

Thanks!

Must say I love your AAR already. I love the way it is written and just the overall beauty of it. Especially how you tie in things that happen in game with great story telling and concepts that generally make sense. I'm curious though did Almos just die or did you actually suicide him?

Thanks! Almos didn't die naturally, I actually suicided him. The main reason being the historical speculation that Almos actually did kill himself after the Magyar migrations.

Nice AAR, rivaling that of your Central American AAR.

Hope you convince the Magyars to convert to Catholicism in the future.

Yeah, Paganism is too mainstream. But being trapped between strong Catholic powers to the west, and the Orthodox powers to the east... the fun part will be deciding which flavour of Christianity will suit Hungary the best!

Wow, your graphics here are truly stunning. I'm incredibly impressed at the look you managed to create here, it must have taken a hell of a lot of work. I'm also really enjoying the writing as well. I've been a keen follower of your Central American AAR for awhile now, I'd say that if you keep up making updates like this then this AAR is going to be even better!

Looks like this could well become the best AAR on the CK2 forum. :)

Thank you! I had fun making the images. Luckily there are a lot of resources for old medieval chronicles online which makes the job much easier. I doubt this aar could become the best on the forum... there's a lot of really impressive competition for that title... but as long as I enjoy making it, and people enjoy reading it, than that's good enough for me!

How far have you played ahead? Also how long does it take you to make these posts?

I've only played ahead by a few decades. Enough to get a little more detail. For making the images, it actually doesn't take that long. About ten, maybe fifteen minutes of fiddling to create the page. Writing takes a bit longer, of course. The only pages that take any significant amount of time are the maps. They can easily soak up an hour or two. But they're fun to make!

Now West shall never be safe again form the Huns! I nice bunch of councillors I should admit.....

Another wonderful update, and a great triumph over the Moravians. I'm looking forward to seeing your invasion of Bulgaria, seem it won't be long before the Magyar banner flies over Constantinople itself :eek:.

Now West shall never be safe again form the Huns! I nice bunch of councillors I should admit.....

Yeah, I was pretty lucky getting some good nobles. The west, the east, and every other direction should be very afraid!

Tengri is much too cool to be given up anyways. Amazing history book.

EDIT: If you have to convert, I'd go for orthodoxy. Reformed paganism would be cooler, but catholicism is just so... mainstream :p

Yeah, orthodoxy might be a good choice. I guess we'll have to see which faith is the most persistent.

Another wonderful update, and a great triumph over the Moravians. I'm looking forward to seeing your invasion of Bulgaria, seem it won't be long before the Magyar banner flies over Constantinople itself :eek:.

I don't have any intentions of taking Constantinople just yet anyway, but we'll see. The Magyars start in a really strong position. If I take out Rome too soon, it'll make the rest of the game far too easy.

Really creative AAR, i have only recently got into reading AAR's and this is great. I'll be happily reading along.

Awesome! Happy to have you reading and I hope you enjoy it!

This aar continues to look absolutely brilliant. I'm starting to like the look of Hungary's borders. Will you be looking to settle down from your expansionist ways now that you dominate carpathia?