• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Take a look at my Austria game in my signature; the strategy I use seems to be working very well.

1. Ally with France, Sweden, Two Sicilies, Switzerland and declare war on Prussia with wargoal Aquire Prussian Wuttermburg. Most likely at least one of them will not decline to aid you.
2. Form SGC
3. Give them saxony, let the Hannover event fire, and let them form NGC then declare war and liberate a nation.
4. Continue doing so (and sphering the liberated nations) until NGC is knocked out of great power status and sphere them.
5. United Germany and then do whatever.

Well th3freakie and me aren´t newbies, so your advice for newbies is hardly needed. Specially when you say stuff like bureaucrats giving RP, which they DON`T, only in mods. And neither do Prussia ally with ottomans all the time, when Netherlands DO ally with someone else 99 times out of 100 Prússia allies with UK.

In the end you WILL have to conquer someone, and the best someone is Prússia.

You're right about crats. I only play in PoD these days. Also, I never said you were a newbie so relax. However the OP was asking for advice from the perspective of a new player:

Now I'm feeling dumb. Indeed it is not my goal to form Germany, but I felt it was only natural to rival Prussia in influence over the German minors, to keep the status quo and all. I guess I could ally with them as long as they kept out of my SoI, but there's no way to make that deal (nor would Bismark ever take it).

I also never said that PRU and TUR always ally. That point was given in the OP:

In any case, now the Ottomans and Prussians have tag-teamed to attack me

So, thank you for being so arrogant.

Speak for yourself, comrade. I am the n00bzorz. :eek:o

Question - how feasible is it to let Prussia alone and just deny it Saxony for the NGF? Will it eventually come gunning down for a Hegemony war, or will they just grow fat and rich while bothering no-one?

It's totally reasonable... and advisable.

Keep in mind that Prussia and Austria were allies until the Seven Weeks War: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Alliance

They cant, atleast in HoD, since one of the requirements to form A-H is for GER to exist.

That must have changed somewhere along the lines as they've released expansions. It used to rely on prestige being low, but that's not the case anymore either. In PoD, KUK is able to form it simply having the Nationalism and Imperialism tech after the liberal revolutions.

That must have changed somewhere along the lines as they've released expansions. It used to rely on prestige being low, but that's not the case anymore either. In PoD, KUK is able to form it simply having the Nationalism and Imperialism tech after the liberal revolutions.

Understandable why they changed it tho, having both German AND Hungarian accepted POPs is kinda OP.

Never played PoD, since I dont really like all the new stuff added, but I played New Nations Mod, and playing KuK was fun - becoming Danube Federation is awesome :D

On Topic: I played a (mostly) full game as Austria, gave up on forming Greater Germany after SGF became 7th GP. It is a fun game none-the-less event going KuK route, or just staying Austria (I prefer the White to the weird browny colour KuK gets). Forming Germany as Austria is a real challenge, and MUCH easier as Prussia, although it requires Hungary to exist in some form.

Anyway, best of luck OP!

They cant, atleast in HoD, since one of the requirements to form A-H is for GER to exist.
Wait, I thought it was the other way around?

Oh well that makes it simpler then - I'll just let Prussia go right ahead. :D

Wait, I thought it was the other way around?

Oh well that makes it simpler then - I'll just let Prussia go right ahead. :D

The tool tip is wrong. If you fire up a fresh game as AUS on the House Divided bookmark, Italy will exist but not Germany. If you mouseover the decision it will show Italy must NOT exist, but it will be green meaning that the condition is satisfied. The tool tip for Germany will say Germany must NOT exist in red meaning that the condition isn't met. In reality, the situation is opposite of what the tooltip says and the code agrees that they both MUST exist.

I don't know why the tool tips are showing up like this, but just running through it like this I can tell you for sure that the tool tip isn't worded correctly.

Wait, so you need both to exist? That means losing much ground in Germany and Italy. Drat!

Wait, so you need both to exist? That means losing much ground in Germany and Italy. Drat!

You dont have to loose ANY land for either to form. Just loose SOI to Germany, and have a constant threat of Italy attacking you.