• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I really like this AAR. How unfortunate that I didn't see it before.

@Avindian: Glad you got a chance to read it! And also happy that you are enjoying it thus far!

@Marco Dandolo: Well it's better late than never! Kind of wish I had seen your mod before this AAR as it probably would have helped flesh things out.

Chapter XV – Galeazzo Maria Sforza​

393px-Piero_Pollaiuolo_Portrait_of_Galeazzo_Maria_Sforza.jpg

Portrait of Galeazzo Maria Sforza by Piero Pollaiuolo

The passing of Duke Francesco Sforza of Milan was met with tears and days and weeks of mourning. It was not just his family that wept for him, but also the people of Milan, for he had been chosen by the populace to be their Duke. He had not been appointed by God’s Vicar, nor blessed by the now defunct Habsburgs; instead he had earned the trust of the people through spilling blood in their name. Francesco, in life he was unassailable, a political pragmatist, and in battle a God of War. While the people of Milan mourned other’s such as Venice and Savoy were breathing a sigh of relief, and the Montefeltro Duke of Urbino was sitting uneasily upon his throne wondering which way the winds would blow.

As men stood to orate the life of Francesco, crowds gathered upon the Piazza del Duomo the same square in which Sforza had assumed the mantle as Duke of Milan. As the funeral came to an end and the Lords from all over Italy and some of the Empire streamed out of the Cathedral, the crowds grew more and more eager. When finally, Galeazzo would stepped out with his mother Bianca Maria on his arm, the crowds let out a massive cheer, once more screaming, “Viva il Duka!”

Mother and son would walk up the stage that had been erected and both remembered that glorious day in 1450 when they had both walked beside Francesco to witness his ascension. But on this day, the Archbishop of Milan was not crowning an ambitious condottierro; instead he was crowning a man who had been spoiled by the rich opulence of life in Milan. It was this day as Francesco was laid to rest and his son ascending to the Throne of Milan, that Italy could in many ways, begin mourning the late Duke’s equilibrio di potere.

The festivities and mourning would drag on, for weeks. Galeazzo would take to drinking and banishing his wife from his bedchambers in favor of better looking women that were in Milan. The first year of his rule would go on like this, as he took more to women and drink, and that of music more than he did of dull council meetings. Instead he allowed his mother Bianca Maria to do most of the ruling so he had more time to pursue his own fleshly desires.

After the first year of his reign, he would finally step up. His decision came a few weeks after contemplating some priest’s rabid prophecy of his reign being a short-lived affair. The new Duke would respond by having the priest locked away in a room and forbidden food. He wanted to see what it was like to starve a man to death. It was the words of this priest that awoke a fire inside Galeazzo.

One day in mid-January of 1476, Bianca was meeting with the council.

“So Florence is once again trying to claim Parma?” she asked.

2013-09-05_00059_zps567a73ac.jpg

Leonardo di Saluzzo nodded glumly, “The Florentines are growing more and more brazen. Only a matter of time before they feel powerful enough to strike.”

Bianca nodded. “So what would you suggest we do, Saluzzo?”

The Captain looked at the maps thinking, “Build our defenses, it’s only a matter of time before one of these nations-“

He was cut off by the doors swinging open revealing Duke Galeazzo Maria Sforza, “Tell me, my great Councilors, why these petty Italian lords would think of striking Milan. Please I wish to hear your thoughts.”

Bianca started to say something, but was cut off by Saluzzo. “Your highness, they no longer fear us after the death of Francesco. The Florentines have voided all contracts with us and there are rumors that Urbino may as well.”

Galeazzo laughed at this. “So they are not afraid of us anymore? Then I suppose we should show them to be afraid.”

He leaned over the table looking at the map and jabbed his dagger down upon the Savoy. “They refused to give me their daughter Bona’s hand in marriage. It is time we take Cuneo, and let it be a lesson to all the princes that Milan may be without Francesco, but his spirit lives on.”

“My lord, that is brash,” Saluzzo said quietly unsure if his lord was even sane.

“Yes it is, and Saluzzo you are hereby appointed Captain-General and will lead the troops in our cause.” Galeazzo then turned to his mother. “You’ve tried to seize power for yourself this past year mother. I think in your heart of hearts you would rather see a Visconti cousin of yours sit upon my throne rather than your own son. So you may leave, retire to your estates in Parma and be sure never to attempt to run any of our state affairs in my name ever again. Unless you wish to be executed for treason.”

Bianca went pale, and fell to the ground as she passed out. Her son the Duke of Milan didn’t even stop when this happened. Instead he merely turned towards Demetrio Melzi, and said, “Ride back to Paris, request the arms of the French. Should the King march with us it will send a message to every prince in Italy that Milan is much more than Francesco Sforza.”

2013-09-05_00062_zps2439e365.jpg

With that the first Milanese-Savoyard War would begin, with France pledging its undying support. Truth be told the French King was merely excited about having an excuse to crush Savoy.

During the war Galeazzo would stay in Milan, and deal with the administration of the Duchy. While he received word that Saluzzo was now in Cuneo laying siege, word came from Provence requesting marriage and a military alliance. Galeazzo would accept the marriage, but refuse the alliance. He did not wish to anger the French by allying himself with a minor principality that the French King desired.

2013-09-05_00063_zps061e86dc.jpg
2013-09-05_00064_zps0a5b487e.jpg

By the end of 1476 the siege of Cuneo had been complete and the remainder of Savoy’s lands besieged by French arms. In March of 1477 two years into Galeazzo’s reign as Duke of Milan, Savoy would surrender Cuneo and pay Milan 42 ducats.

2013-09-05_00068_zpsc7419a33.jpg
2013-09-05_00070_zps7b89b00d.jpg

@Marco Dandolo: Well it's better late than never! Kind of wish I had seen your mod before this AAR as it probably would have helped flesh things out.

Hopefully, when it's finally ready, a player will face that what you do role-play-wise. It's that why I like your game. Balance of power, and more intersteing struggle for Italy. :)

I see a change in leadership style is imminent. ;)

The war against Savoie should be interesting. Honestly, I'm glad to see the beginnings of conquest for Milan – just keep the balance of power in the centre of the peninsula! (What's that old saying? Do what I say, not what I do? :p)

Chapter XVI - Shifting Alliances

@Marco Dandolo: Yeah I'm trying to role-play as much as possible. So far just going off what I've read about Francesco and Galeazzo. I've been swapping alliances to ensure I always have a little protection, much like a proper Italian Prince should do. About the Balance of Power, that was orchestrated with Francesco's Treaty of Lodi, I kind of wish that event in game had a bigger impact than just increasing the opinion modifier by 30 points. Because that really has very little effect, and unfortunately fired for me about 30 years later than it did historically.

@Densley Blair: Yeah Galeazzo's leadership will be quite a bit different than Francesco. He's still fairly politically adept, but he also carries a grudge that will pretty much shatter his father's Balance of Power ambitions for the Italian Peninsula.

Chapter XVI – Shifting Alliances​

With the war for Cuneo won and Savoy satisfyingly crippled after the French sponsored apocalypse upon their nation, Duke Galeazzo Maria Sforza would order a Market to be built in Parma so that goods could be sold as soon as they left the docks.

Towards the end of April, the Milanese troops would begin returning home from their war, and the Duke would honor his Captian-General Leonardo di Saluzzo with a grand parade, and awarded him with a sizeable salary. It was a few days after the celebrations of Saluzzo’s victory that a messenger from the Imperial Court of the Bohemian Kaiser Jiri z Podebrand would come to court and order Galeazzo to release his unlawful territory of Cuneo.

2013-09-05_00075_zps1f2a3b8e.jpg

The Duke of Milan laughed at this demand. “Tell our once faithful friend the Kaiser Jiri of Bohemia that Milan will never forfeit Cuneo or any other piece of land we spill our blood for. And remind his most gracious imperial majesty that it would be all too easy to bring the Habsburgs back to power.”

The Imperial Ambassador bowed and would hurry out of the chambers shocked at the direct insubordination that Galeazzo so easily expressed towards his master.

To add to the tensions that were slowly rising within the Milanese court regarding Galeazzo’s ambitions the French sent a letter notifying the Duke that they were dissolving their alliance. This shocked the new Duke more than anything. Just months after the French had led Milan to victory over Savoy and the close familial relationship between the French King and the Sforza Family; he so readily would choose to cut all ties. It made no sense to Galeazzo, yet he would receive no honest answer. Instead he was led to believe it had been orchestrated by the Bohemian Kaiser, who would obviously profit from an end to the French-Milanese Alliance.

2013-09-05_00077_zps04a7df05.jpg

In response to the loss of the French as friend and trusted ally, Sforza would send Demetrio Melzi back to the Austrian court to pay homage to the Habsburg Duke. The Habsburgs were also pleased at hearing of the end to the French-Milanese Alliance and accepted Galeazzo’s overtures to renew an alliance with Austria. Thus, a new Austrian-Milanese alliance was entered. On the same day that Demetrio returned to Milan with the good news another letter from the French Court came to Milan, warning Galeazzo that should he embark on another conquest France would attack and depose the Duke.

2013-09-05_00079_zps59535a4e.jpg

After this switch of alliances from French to Austrian, Galeazzo was informed that the new Milanese administration of Cuneo was organizing so effectively that the tax base had increased.

2013-09-05_00082_zps6fbf140b.jpg

A new year would then begin with the repayment of a loan, and knowledge that the crown of Hungary had been freed from the Bavarians, and now a Hungarian von Wittelsbach had claimed the crown. With Hungary’s separation from Bavaria came a royal marriage with the Sforza family and yet another alliance to further hedge against the possibility of Austria proving dishonorable or Bohemia deciding to exact revenge for Galeazzo’s insubordination.

2013-09-05_00085_zpsa512b662.jpg

The summer of 1478 would pass by with little of note occurring besides reports that production research was flawed and needed to be fixed.

2013-09-05_00086_zps1b244daf.jpg

As the Fall descended upon Northern Italy so too did war. For the Venetians still a bit angry over their loss of Brescia would decide it time to seize another province. The Venetian Doge declared war against Ferrara, which immediately brought the Bohemians into the war in an effort to protect the d’Este princes of the Empire. The Kaiser, fearing he could potentially lose a slice of land to the Republic of Venice sent a request to Galeazzo asking him to serve the Empire and defend the integrity of Ferrara against the aggressive Doge. This time, Duke Galeazzo Maria Sforza would obey, and honor his uneasy alliance with the Kaiser and order Captain-General Leonardo di Saluzzo to march upon Verona.

2013-09-05_00089_zps6d3684be.jpg

France have broken their alliance? I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. My experiences of nations having broken alliances aren't all good...

First a breaking of alliance then a warning from them. I smell hard times and probably a French-Milanese war.

@DensleyBlair: Yeah they broke it I was left scratching my head as to why they would. Perhaps it was the unlawful territory opinion malus or something? I don't know. But it worried the heck out of me when it happened. I was left scrambling and that is why I made sure to ally back up with Austria. Just in case...

@Richards840: Yeah some hard-times around the corner for sure! And a French-Milanese war hmmm possibly ;) btw I feel pretty honored that your 2 posts on the forum have thus far all been on this AAR :)

Chapter XVII – Defending Ferrara for No Reason

Chapter XVII – Defending Ferrara for No Reason​

The year 1179 opened up with a new war against Venice, this time aiding Bohemia in the Defense of Ferrara against Venetian aggression. However, earlier in 1178 Fraticelli rebels had arisen in Liguria and had fully occupied the Savoyard city of Genoa and instead of marching west to claim Nice as well the heretical rabble of peasants marched North to Milan. Unfortunately Galeazzo Maria, found himself in the unlikely position of having sent all of his Army under the command of General Saluzzo to lay siege to Verona and was not willing to lift the siege just to kill some heretical peasants. Thus, Duke Galeazzo Maria Sforza ordered the gates of Milan be closed for the first time since his father took the Duchy over, and prepared the grand city for a long siege.

2013-09-05_00092_zps07c8113e.jpg

With Milan under siege from the heretics and no saving grace in sight as the rabble began to burn and pillage the countryside of Lombardia, the University of Parma continued their diligent research. It was during those dark days that they came up with the idea of Constables and Temples. Truly Temples in a time of a heretical invasion from Genoa would be most beneficial. Not to mention a Constable to persecute such insidious peasants.

2013-09-05_00093_zpsacc47f1c.jpg

Due to the rabble’s siege of the Capital, Captain-General Leonardo di Saluzzo could not send his reports to his liege in Milan. In fact all communications had been lost. His junior officers at first were beginning to fret, wondering why they hadn’t heard of the usual reports from home. Instead of informing them that Lombardia was being pillaged by heretics Saluzzo decided to pretend he was still in communication with Duke Galeazzo. He would come up with words of news and the like, but it was a façade, for he too was worried, and even his scribe and messenger were beginning to whisper about different rumors of treachery going on in Milan.

The rest of the year would progress as such, rumors and more rumors. There came a point when his charade would be discovered, and the morale of the Milanese troops would sink to an all-time low. Saluzzo after his Savoyard victory had at one time felt to be the next reincarnation of Francesco, now he feared he would be killed by his own men. He became spurned in the encampment during the siege of Verona and several men ended up being hung for attempts on his life. He left their dead bodies dangling in front of his tent for two weeks just as a reminder to all not to cross him.

Eventually news from the East would appear bearing word that Hungary had decided to declare war on Venice. Hungary ever one to take advantage of Venice’s ill-fortune decided it was high time to recover some lost territory.

2013-09-05_00095_zpsf2478f55.jpg

Then, to the North Milan’s newest ally Austria finally ended its Regency when Archduke Ferdinand II Habsburg came of age. The Milanese encampment was actually overjoyed by this occasion and cheered, much to the chagrin of their Bohemian allies, of which would write a letter to Saluzzo asking him whose side he was truly on.

2013-09-05_00097_zpsfeedefdf.jpg

In the late spring of 1180, Captain-General Saluzzo and his Milanese Armata di Lombardia finally forced Verona to open her gates in surrender to Milanese forces once more, in which would become in history known as the Second Milanese Sacking of Verona.

2013-09-05_00098_zps896c0355.jpg

After the fall of Verona, and with the Hungarians assaulting Venice’s lands on the Eastern shores of the Adriatic the Doge decided it was time to surrender and give up his attempt to claim Ferrara. However, much to Saluzzo’s surprise as he was slowly rounding up his men to march back home and to save Milan from the heretics, he was given some news about the fate of the d’Estes.

2013-09-05_00099_zps6ce9d44c.jpg

“General!” a blackened scout yelled as his horse slowed its full speed gallop pulling up alongside Saluzzo’s horse. “Florence, Florence!”

Saluzzo looked at the haggard scout confused, “What of Florence?”

“While we were all busy fighting back the Doge the Florentine Prince decided to march eleven thousand men into Ferrara and is sieging the city as we speak!”

General Saluzzo just stared in utter disbelief. He couldn’t imagine what Galeazzo’s reaction to the news would be. But unfortunately Saluzzo’s liege and prince would probably be clueless of such events until he made his way to Milan to disperse and dispose of the heretical peasant rebellion.

With that the Captain-General of the Armata di Lombardia spurred his horse forward continuing on with the march to lift the siege of Milan.

You missed a trick with the title there: surely, Defending Ferrara For Our-a Own-a Purposes would have been much more fitting. :D

I can see the Equilibrium won't he lasting long. Even if Galeazzo appears to be making some effort to maintain it for now. Somehow I have my doubts...

Chapter XVIII - Saluzzo's Victory and Shame

@DensleyBlair: Haha I would have if we had gained something...unfortunately us beating back the Venetians only paved the way for Florence. Maybe it should have been titled "Defending Ferrara so Florence Could Eat" probably would have been more suiting. But yeah things are reaching a tipping point everywhere at this point. And the events that are going to push things a little over the edge are about to happen.

This update is a bit longer, way longer than I intended. But the exchange between Saluzzo and Galeazzo got away from me. So oopsies on that, so the fun stuff will now have to wait for the next Chapter after this one. Hopefully this Chapter is still enjoyable though...

Chapter XVIII – Saluzzo's Victory and Shame​

Captain-General Saluzzo would arrive in Lombardia and successfully disperse the Fraticelli insurgents. The battle was a bloody affair, as the peasant rabble quickly was routed by the Milanese forces. As they ran away from the slaughter Saluzzo’s men quickly picked them off and hung over 700 hundred throughout the region to serve as a reminder to any would be heretic of the price they would pay should they ever rise up again.

With the short campaign against the insurgents completed, Saluzzo would once again be welcomed into Milan as a conquering hero, even though he had not conquered anything. The populace however, did not care. He had proven victorious against the Venetians and had saved the city from siege. As the gates swung open he was for the second time cheered and rose petals were thrown from the rooftops honoring him the Captain-General of Milan as the savior of the city.

It was this second triumphant return that would get into the head of Saluzzo, and thus slightly unnerve that of his lord Galeazzo. The Duke’s father had proven to all of Italy that a commoner with an army and a Condottiere with a knack for strategy and political knowledge could rise to the top of Italian politics. It would be this knowledge that Galeazzo was thinking about on the day of Saluzzo’s second victory.

Instead of attending the celebrations the Duke of Milan instead sat in his castle, listening to the choir he had appointed and trained singing their soft peaceful melodies while he brewed on what to do with Leonardo di Saluzzo. He could honor the man, or chastise him, but chastise him for what? The Duke was at a loss for how he could knock the Captain-General down a few pegs. It would only be a matter of time before the man decided he deserved a fief, and be called Count. It would only be a matter of time before the victorious General asked for a daughter’s hand in marriage. So there had to be something, something to embarrass him with.

Duke Galeazzo Maria Sforza would then head to his throne in the audience hall, with the Milanese nobles already present for Saluzzo’s grand entrance after his speech upon the plaza. The Duke was frustrated he even had to give the General an audience, but such was life living up to the expectations of war heroes. As he sat there waiting he could faintly here his choir singing, and he wondered why everything in the world couldn’t be as peaceful and harmonic as those boy’s voices. Surely the world would be a more peaceful place if that had been the case.

Then, Captain-General Saluzzo was announced by the Court Herald and man would walk in with a commanding stride fully dressed in bloodied armor. He looked the part of a killer that day and the people of Milan loved him. Surely he was Francesco reborn.

“Captain-General Leonardo di Saluzzo,” Galeazzo said standing, playing his part to the gathered crowd. “You have my gratefulness for all you have done on the battlefield and the saving of Milan from the heretic invasion. We owe you a great deal on this day.” With that the Duke sat back down upon his throne, some cheers went up from those assembled and Saluzzo bowed, but when he rose again everyone noticed his face was a bit pale.

“Your Highness, on our return from Verona, we came across some unsavory news,” the Captain-General began. “It seems that while everyone was focused on protecting Ferrara from Venice, that Ferrara was attacked and sieged by a completely different foe.”

Galeazzo sat back in his chair looking at the General the words echoing throughout the Duke’s head. He felt something coming, in fact he felt like an opportunity was presenting itself. As he thought of what to do, he could not really hear what Saluzzo was saying instead his ears focused on the faint sound of the choir somewhere deep in the Chapel. Those soft voices floating upon the air like a piece of cotton upon a light breeze.

“The Florentines, my lord, they are intent on sacking Ferrara and destroying the ancient d’Este family once and for all,” The General finished.

It was that last line that snapped Duke Galeazzo back to reality. In fact he even relaxed, and smiled the same cruel smile he had on when he sent his mother Bianca off into an early retirement. “So you’re telling me you knew of this? You knew the Florentines were using our entanglement in Venice to further their ambitions, yet you did not seek to curb them? You didn’t think you could have a message smuggled in? General Saluzzo, why are you even here? Shouldn’t you have marched south to rescue the d’Estes?”

The General recoiled as if he had been slapped, “I didn’t think it wise to cause a war with Florence without your blessing! Your highness, my gods I was concerned about our city more than some other prince!”

“You can make all the exclamations you wish, the rabble would have never sacked Venice, we would have starved to death before that. Admit it General Saluzzo you were more concerned with parade Milan would give you for killing men with pitchforks than you were with stopping the Florentine aggression.”

“Never my lord, you hurt me accusing me of such things. I will leave now and attack Florence since you wish it,” the General bowed and started stepping backward intent on leaving and marching back to war.

“Saluzzo, no you fool, Ferrara is done, and the d’Estes will die. There is no stopping it now. They’re fall is your fall, you’re lucky I allow you to live, but the next time you make a mistake such as this your head will rest above my door.”

The General nodded and continued to slowly retreat down the aisle officially ending his welcoming ceremony. The Duke stood then and left the audience hall making his way back to the Chapel to relax in the warm harmony of his choir.

* * * *​

Galeazzo would calm down a little after his tirade at the General, mostly because he felt accomplished and that the nobility at least was a little bit less proud of Saluzzo’s accomplishments. Hopefully, they wouldn’t compare him to Francesco any longer. Besides the siege of the Fraticelli Heretics from Liguria did lead to something good, for the National Bank had time during the siege to further develop a better strategy for helping the State out. In fact the bank decided with Galeazzo’s permission to allow loans of up to 24 times the amount of Milan’s monthly incomes. This should a disastrous war with say France could come in handy for the Sforza family.

2013-09-05_00100_zps9d0a57cf.jpg

Meanwhile in the year 1181 Austria would force Bavaria to concede defeat, thereby smashing the von Wittelsbach’s hopes and dreams of ascendancy over their Habsburg neighbors.

2013-09-05_00101_zps3b554d41.jpg

Towards the end of that year a new Emperor in Bohemia would be elected named Jiri as well. But he is only 3 years old, thus the Milanese-Bohemian alliance is no longer seeming worthy of even being in place. Galeazzo would allow it to continue for the time being, but also realized that Austria was truly the Duchy’s only hope for survival should France come calling.

2013-09-05_00102_zpsdc63883a.jpg

With that bit of news the remainder of 1181 would come to a close, and a new year that of 1182 would begin. Things began to seem calm, even though Florence had successfully annexed Ferrara just as Galeazzo had said they would. Tensions between the two former friends was at an all-time high as well, rumors of Florentine troops crossing the border and harassing farmers was increasing by the week it seemed. But no war seemed to be on the horizon. In fact things seemed to be going so well that Galeazzo ordered the Castello Sforzesco designed into a more appropriate palatial setting.

2013-09-05_00103_zps5b72df35.jpg

Everything seemed good, until the seventh anniversary of Duke Galeazzo Maria Sforza’s ascension to the Milanese Throne. On February 14, 1182, as celebrations were being made, two ambassadors one from a former friend and one from a renewed friend came to pay homage to Galeazzo, and they both had special requests for the Duke. How the Duke of Milan responded would decide just how bloody the future would become.

An interesting note on which to leave the update. What could these requests be, I wonder? I'm certainly intrigued to find out how they'll affect the duchy.

Chapter XIX – Galeazzo’s 7th Anniversary

@DensleyBlair: Well here is your answer to what those requests are. Meant to have it posted several days ago just was busy unfortunately. Hope the developments are intriguing as ever.

Chapter XIX – Galeazzo’s 7th Anniversary​

The celebrations for Duke Galeazzo Maria Sforza’s 7th anniversary of his ascension as Duke of Milan were well underway as the evening of February 14, 1482, began. In the great hall of the Castello Sforzesco emissaries from various Holy Roman Principalities and Italian city states were present, minus the representative from Florence who had decided to leave Milan and head home in the face of the growing hostilities between the former allies.

As the feast and drink were served and ate, and dancing commenced, the noise level in the hall would grow. It was a boisterous celebration, and the lords and ladies of Milan were all rather happy that during this celebration the nation was at peace. As the night moved on different emissaries from various nations would step up and hand over a gift or give words of congratulations for various things to Galeazzo.

Towards the end of the night an ambassador from the France would step forward bowing before the lord of Milan, and would ask a favor, “Your gracious majesty, my King, sends me here to request access for our troops to march through your lands. He is sorry for his unjust actions towards you and the cancelling of his alliance. He seeks to rebuild the trust that we once had between our two nations.”

Galeazzo chuckled and about spilled his wine at this. He had a hard time taking the request seriously. “So the King of France, after breaking his sacred alliance with us, and warning us of our destruction should we attack anyone ever again has decided to request our permission to march through our lands?”

The ambassador nodded, looking uneasily around the room, almost as if he was wishing he had waited for a private audience.

“Ambassador, do you French think we are stupid?” Galeazzo continued. “We have a new alliance with Austria, your arch-enemy. Do you think the Habsburgs would look kindly upon us if we allowed you access through Lombardy to attack Austria?”

“Your majesty, that is not our intention,” the ambassador stammered as the room fell silent and all eyes focused upon the exchange between the two men.

“I’m sure it isn’t,” Galeazzo said as his eyes scanned the room. “In fact let us speak with the Habsburg representative let us see how his country feels about such a thing. Austria, where are you?”

The Austrian ambassador sat at a table near a wall, he looked up towards the two men, but he did not immediately stand up to join the fray, for he had someone apparently a messenger whispering in his ear. The Austrian’s face flushed and went pale as the man stepped back and turned to leave. Then he stood, for a moment leaning against the table, “You dogs!” The Austrian ambassador shouted towards the Frenchman.

Whispers began to rise in the hall as Galeazzo and the French ambassador both looked at the Austrian as he made his way to the center to stand alongside his French counterpart.

“So, does Austria now call me a dog as well?” Galeazzo growled at the Austrian once he stood beside the Frenchman.

“No your majesty,” the Austrian said. “It seems France has declared war upon us, I’ve been informed they’ve landed some sixteen thousand men in Carinthia. And are mustering forces on their borders with Savoy for a march through Italy.”

A rage filled the Duke of Milan at that moment as he glared at the French ambassador who looked shaken, almost as if the man hadn’t even known what his own master was planning. “So France seeks my permission to march through our lands to attack you, Austria. The French King must be insane. The Sforza will never allow such a French horde to cross our borders after the ill-treatment they afforded us after our war with Savoy.”

“But your majesty-“

“The Archduke of Austria, my lord and master, would be honored to have Milanese arms at his side as he fights to repel the French dogs,” the Austrian interrupted. “Pledge us your swords Duke and Austria shall ensure the integrity of Milan.”

Galeazzo smirked at this and looked at the Frenchman who was now looking as if he was lost in a sea of sharks. “Yes, Milan shall join our swords with our true friends in Austria. And should the French ever cross our borders they will be killed.”

“Your majesty, this is no good, these are lies!” The Frenchman exclaimed. “Surely it is Austria that is the aggressor!”

“You are dismissed, go back to your lily laden land of France and tell your beloved King that Milan will see the end of his house!” The Frenchman bowed and began to hurry out of the hall, when Galeazzo changed his mind. “On second thought, guards, seize this slave of lies, he will be a fun subject to test our new machinations of torture upon.”

The ambassador was then seized and screaming something about being a diplomat and how the entire world would look down upon Galeazzo for this unjust action. His screams of protest grew faint as he was dragged away and the celebrations would commence yet again.

With that Milan was officially at war with their former ally France, and Captain-General Leonardo di Saluzzo was yet again called upon to prepare the Milanese army for war. It was a task that would take the rest of the year, during which time Milan was struck by a corrupt bureaucracy.

2013-09-05_00104_zps48757c50.jpg

A new year would begin during that time in which the University of Parma seeing that Milan needed to advance its military knowledge introduced Pike and Shot to the Milanese army. A year later Trade Research was named heretical as well, and Debt and Loans was introduced by the Bank of Milan.

2013-09-05_00105_zps9ca26c2d.jpg

As the year 1485 began the war hadn’t even truly begun for Milan. But it was then, in that summer that it began to appear that the French were preparing an invasion of Milan.

2013-09-05_00107_zpsf4b1b998.jpg

Will Austria be able to save you? I'm not entirely sure. In my games they have a pretty poor record against France.

I'm all up for being proven wringing, though.

@verdas: Thank you glad you are enjoying it so far!

@DensleyBlair: Well I'm not the main war goal so I'm not all that concerned. As for Austria saving us we will have to wait and see.

@Derahan: Yeah the BBB, a seriously massive headache. When all this happened I was so angry I didn't take many screenshots thought I was toast! But yeah seems Milan is positioned in such a place to where there is always an opponent, and for whatever reason I'm always a pawn in the games of Austria and France, which makes things rather interesting at times :)

Hopefully the next update should be up sometime in the next 12 hours or so.

I knew I was smelling a war with the BBB and it was not the burned lunch! :laugh:

By the way: is there someone else in this war? Or is it just BBB vs Austria + you?

(Btw.: another post goes to this AAR :) )

Chapter XX - The Second Milanese-Venetian War

@Richards840: All of the BBBs vassals are involved (of course), as far as on my side I'll be honest I don't know...In a screenshot that is below Bohemia starts helping as there is a contingent bearing the Imperial flag retreating. And I believe Provence is involved, and some other minors. England is at war with France as well, due to France being at war with Savoy. So its all just one BIG clusterfu....... And I can't remember the specifics due to me being just amazingly depressed and pissed off at the BBB AI, not too mention thinking I was near the end of the play-through.

And as always thanks for another comment on here!

Chapter XX – The Second Milanese-Venetian War​

With the French preparing for what seemed to be a complete invasion of Milan, Galeazzo and his Captain-General reviewed the maps and discussed strategy. The Duke of Milan was not the best about matters of war, so he listened to Saluzzo patiently all the while running some other thoughts and plans through his head. As the general continued to drag out his thoughts on how best to defend the Duchy, Galeazzo’s eyes fell upon Venice.

“Saluzzo, Venice is heavily invested in their invasion of Hungary, yes?” the Duke asked.

The Milanese Captain-General shook his head confused at the odd question of his Duke, “Yes, but we have nothing to fear from the Doge.”

“No, I ask because I want Verona, and if they are busy in Hungary, well we might as well move to the East rather than defending the West,” Galeazzo explained.

Saluzzo seemed beyond confused at his liege’s way of thinking, it made absolutely no sense. Why start a war with another strong opponent when France was knocking on the door and very close to invading Cuneo and perhaps the capital of Milan itself. “But, with all due respect, your majesty, what would stop the Venetians from stopping their sieges in Hungary and marching in force to Verona, where we would then be attacked from both sides one by Venice one by France?”

Galeazzo stood there reviewing the map while he thought it through a little bit more. “If France only attacks Cuneo with a small contingent, keeping the larger force for their invasion on Austria, then perhaps Saluzzo, we will have time to siege Verona, occupy it and force the Doge to surrender.”

“This is insane, your majesty, suicide. Even if we did attack Venice for our claim on Verona, would we not call in our allies? With the Emperor’s defense of Austria against the French underway, that would mean that both Bohemia and Austria could potentially waste their strength for an offensive war with Venice rather than defending against the French. We would be responsible for any Imperial state falling.”

Galeazzo chuckled. “Urbino will come to fight Venice, Austria and Bohemia as well. You see Saluzzo, I care not about the French at the moment, besides just imagine the French King’s face when he hears of the massive host convening in Venice.”

The Captain-General shook his head resigned to his fate of leading the armies of Milan on a suicide mission, “Your grace, please reconsider this.”

“Prepare the men, Captain-General, I will send Demetrio to the Doge, with our formal declaration of war.” With that Duke Galeazzo Maria Sforza began to leave the room, and as he entered the hall and kept walking he hollered back to Saluzzo, “And if you hear of Milan being sieged Saluzzo, don’t worry, stay in Verona and never leave until you have the Keys to that fair city.”

The Captain-General cursed for a while knocking the figurines off of the map and table as he stormed out of the room. Maybe it was all an attempt of Galeazzo’s to further bring shame upon him. Whatever the cause for this stupidly ill-advised adventure, Saluzzo was sure it would end in failure, and worse yet Milan becoming a client state of France’s. As he left the Sforza Castle he made his way to the waiting 14,000 men, and informed them of the news. They were as confused as he was and very unhappy with their liege’s decision. But they would do as they were told just as Saluzzo would, and from there they made their way to Brescia to camp and prepare for the Milanese invasion of Venice.

2013-09-05_00108_zps67a604e7.jpg

As soon as the war was declared Urbino immediately moved to blockade Venice’s ports. It was a small blockade but it was a good enough to get the Doge’s attention. From there Bohemia and Austria jumped into the fray as well. Bohemia even sent in troops.

It was in March of 1486, when England would ask for military access to Milan so that they could better attack the French swine. Galeazzo allowed this against his better judgment, but the more people willing to attack the French the happier he would be. That was around the time that 5,000 Frenchman began to siege Cuneo, as well as a small scouting party circling the walls of Milan probing for any weaknesses. It was from then on for the rest of the summer and into the fall and then winter that the Duke would begin to grow fearful. He considered ordering Saluzzo to lift the siege of Verona and come defend Milan. But, in so doing Galeazzo realized he would be admitting to stupidity.

2013-09-05_00110_zps8a8ab59a.jpg

I didn't mention this in the narrative but figured I'd slip it in due to the lack of more important screenshots

Sforza would hold his tongue and sheath the writing quill and burn the parchments he had to prevent him from sending some horrible message to Saluzzo. In November, Galeazzo would be rewarded for not changing his mind for word came from his Captain-General that Verona had fallen, but more bad news that the Pope and the Swiss had joined the war on the side of the Venetian.

2013-09-05_00112_zpsf7590b84.jpg

Knowing that the Swiss and Pope could prove to destroy all the gains his men had made, Galeazzo would dispatch Luchino Spinola to visit the Venetian Doge to try and secure a peace. On April 8th, 1487, Venice would formally surrender Verona and pay 77 ducats to Milan. With victory secured and Milan finally having land and access to the Adriatic now, would send word to Captain-General Saluzzo, to march west and push the French out of Milan. For in Cuneo working on preparations to march upon Milan itself stood a force of 24,000 Frenchman.

2013-09-05_00113_zps61af6fc3.jpg

Last edited:
24,000 Frenchmen, eh? Well... That's not always the best thing to have on your doorstep.

That said, good to another war went smoothly. Verona will be a good addition to your realm, I'm sure.

Looking forward to seeing how the French problem turns out. Hopefully something can be done.