• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Bertouch

Musical Tree Surgeon
19 Badges
Feb 15, 2007
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sengoku
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
That's assuming you've played both for a while, now, and can compare them adequately. I've had EU3 since the start, and been playing EU4 off and on since it came out, though Work and the World have other priorities. How do you think they stand up against one another?

My opinions at another time. Have a go, yourself.

Pros: Smoother, generally better UI, better diplomacy and war mechanics. Even for someone as uninterested as me in graphics, these are better than in EU3.
Cons: Some things that made managing your empire easier lacking (eg the lack of "go to" buttons on many things), recycled music
Undecided: The trade system. I hated the old one, but the new one is a blow to my ego. :)

And the usual bugs, unintuitive things etc which are becoming fewer and fewer with each EU iteration but which still appear.

Overall, a very substantial improvement even over the last versions of EU3, and I have no doubt that future patches will make EU4 even better.

EU IV is a vast improvement in nearly every aspect when compared to EU III. There are some issues with border frictions and coalitions but still vastly better than before. I have played probably hundreds of hours in EU III, and havent touched it since EU IV came out. Thats the biggest endorsement I can give.

Reactions:
I love Europa Universalis 3, but if you were any good you became too powerful, too fast. If you knew what you were doing, after the first 100 years you were the only global power, no matter how poor was your starting situation, and you weren't actually threatened by anything. You could just steamroll everything... or abandon the game, which is what I did most of the times. And the tech system was pretty horrible.

That doesn't happen in EU4. Of course, you can dominate the world pretty fast with Spain or England, but there are tons of other playable options that will keep the game challenging for centuries.

EU4 is an improvement over EU3 without detracting anything. It's clearly better.

Undecided some of the eu4 stuff bugs me and eu3 at the end is fairly polished... the trade system is way to static to be fun to play with

never thought i would* say this, but EU4 is superior to EU3 in almost every way, some are apparent and a lot are quite subtle.

Agreed, changing the diplomats/colonists to individuals rather than currency, the whole admin etc points thing was really well done.

Only problem I really have is I think some different ideas with the different culture nations. Rather than x1.5 tech cost, some different techs more relevant to their skill gain would make the game less slow playing as some of those nations.

EU4 is superior in most aspects of the game - however the tech system is something I don't enjoy too much, since it's limiting strategies. You cannot go for an advanced army or fleet anymore while neglecting other tech trees, so you're just stuck to randomness.

in many ways, eu4 is a much better and excting game. there are only a few things, imo, that need rebalancing (monarch points/buildings) but mostly everything is better than eu3, imo.

I can't think of one single thing that I liked better in EU3 than in EU4. Perhaps the performance, it could be optimized more for sure. And I'm not just saying that, as I am indeed a critic. For instance I enjoyed Victoria and Hearts of Iron 2 more than their sequels.

Performance was way better in EU3, but that could be expected. Other things that I don't really like about EU4 were there in EU3 as well, so there is no clear advantage there; and many revamped systems work better than their predecessors.

(I still preferred Ideas + sliders than the current Idea only, but well.)

A true sequel, an improvement in most departments (I ignore some issues since games do take some time to get fixed) the multiplayer although still not great is a vast improvement. Also the MP change (I know it happened in EU3 5.2?) was a great change to the system because it requires you to be more careful and makes mercs a much more viable option. The ideas are nice although they need balancing but I have to admit I miss sliders.

There is no going back to EU3 after EU4: it is simply superior in every single way. Not perfect by a long stretch, but such a better game that it is no competition.

At first I though the tech penalties for non Westerners was going to make me hate playing a non Western Nation, but after a Poland and Oman game, and not being able to westernize because I was on par with the best of the West, I realized it wasn't so bad.

But then I tried a Vietnam game, and got kicked in the jibblies. Tech penalties for Asians/Indians are way too much.

That said, everything else is magnificent. Trade has meaning. My Monarch has meaning. The advisors have meaning. I have to deal with strong AI opponents even in the 1700s. The list of better goes on and on.

Played EU3 since release pretty much non-stop. Loved the game. In my opinion EUIV is a superior game in almost every way possible. I'm up to 86 hours already, although that probably says more about the lack of my social life more than anything else.

Well, vanilla EU3 was BAD, if you compare it with vanilla EU4. If we take Divine Wind... well, I believe you can have more stuff - as events, decisions, potential ahistoric countries, and so on. Non-european playing could be more interesting as well.