• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(78701)

Recruit
Jun 19, 2007
So, I'm trying to form the Roman Empire, I've conquered all the required duchies with the exception of the Bishopric of Ravenna which is the bishopric for the county of Ravenna which is in the Duchy of Ferrara. The game tells me that I have not successfully completed the Duchy of Ferrara. This is the only thing I can think of that would keep me from completing the entire duchy. The bishopric is under the control of the Pope, although I've already conquered Latium and Rome. There are two stupid bishoprics left in the Vatican, and this is one of them.

This silly little duchy is the only thing keeping me from my glory. And, actually the Duke of Ferrara is my vassal. So, I'm completely baffled.

Can someone please tell me how on Earth I can reform this empire? My legacy awaits.

Conquer the bishopric.
The problem is that the bisphoric belongs to the Pope and that the Pope is one of his vassals. That should give you complete ownership over the Duchy of Ferrara, however. Weird. If you want to see if actually that's your problem, try to assign to yourself the bisphoric through the cheat window and see what happens.

edit: no, wait, I read that the Pope is not your vassal, thus, the answer is the same as Torngasuk's. Conquest the damn bisphoric. Funny enough, the Pope will be defending it with his 30,000 hired mercenaries... XD

The problem is that the bisphoric belongs to the Pope and that the Pope is one of his vassals.

I'm not sure the Pope is his vassal. He said he "conquered Latium and Rome", which is potentially a different thing than vassalizing the Pope. The Papal States would persist independently if the Pope had lands outside Latium, which he usually does, unless you pressed an antipope's claim.

To the OP: holdings under vassal control count toward complete control. But if you're missing even one barony, the county doesn't count as complete control.

Hey! Look at that. I didn't know a baron could press a claim on a bishopric. But I guess it's a county claim.

Thanks guys.

And, to clarify, Pope Gelasius II is a heretic, and not one of my vassals.

NP. I wonder what happens if you convert to the same heresy as the Pope. Will he be the leader of your religion? If the Pope turned into heretic, who's leading the Catholic church? XD

When you repair the Schism, which I did about 35 years ago, it makes Catholicism a heresy of the Orthodox faith, so the Pope is a heretic leader. Pretty helpful because it lets you declare holy wars against Catholics as an Orthodox.