Embrace the Counter-Reformation Question

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EvcRo

Colonel
10 Badges
Jan 23, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
I'm GB, catholic and i plan to switch protestant soon.

Would this help me ?

-5% tech costs and stuff will be balanced by +10% from protestantism

but the missionaries (+2) and strength will greatly help me to conquer the world easily, more than the -5% tech and ideea costs costs, which is practically spam a couple less uselles building per 5 years

What do you think, it's worth it?

The big question is : would this lower the chances for provinces to randomly switch from catholic? I don't see anything to suggest that but it can be some hidden modifier.

Untitled-1_zps5d4f5b61.jpg~original

The question is: will you be able to convert (to Prostestantism or Reformed) after picking the Counter Reformation? After all, it is meant to stop both, and help to reestablish the Catholic faith faster and easier ...

Yours,
AdL

Not worth it, unless maybe you have some Muslim provinces you want to convert to Catholicism before reforming and having to convert them again...

I still don't get why Counter-Reformation increases Tech-Cost as it should be the opposite: the Jesuits brought a lot of advancement and built countless schools and universities accross Europe.

But back on topic: yes, embracing the Counter-Reformation is one of things that decreases the chance of a province randomly converting to a Protestant religion (other things that decrease the chances are not being in northern Europe, religious idea group, being a Defender of Faith and having cardinals... so take care you don't have those if you want Protestantism to spread as much as possible).

Much of the counter reformation options are irrelevant as it remains far too easy to create a national uniformity of religion.
Not for me! I have that mission for some 50+ years active, and every once i'm down to 1 province, and start converting it, another becomes prostestant/reformed ... ARRRGH !!!!

Yours,
AdL

Not for me! I have that mission for some 50+ years active, and every once i'm down to 1 province, and start converting it, another becomes prostestant/reformed ... ARRRGH !!!!

Yours,
AdL

I am pleased to hear that :)

But unfortunately by 1650 there is a uniformity of religion in Europe that is not realistic and removes some of the fun and depth that one would expect over at least the first 250 years of the game.