• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is old bug. It has nothing to do with your country being elective. It happens because you give republic to a person without heir. For a brief moment game thinks that your heir is also a heir to republic. So he is excluded from feudal succession. Save/reload fixes it. Or just give city/county/duchy to someone with heir.

Is that accurate enough now?

I think you already the first time but either some other posters well and truly misunderstood you or just wanted to be asses, we may never know.

I've read several times about the bug you encountered. I've never encountered it but even as I often created republics I think I've never run the Elective the moment I've created a republic and it seems to occur only with Elective. And people always say that saving and reloading will correct the things, we shouldn't need to resort to that, the thing will have to be fixed some time in the future by Paradox. Having said that, putting a dynasty member to a republican patrician house can and most often will mess thing up, but I think you were clear enough that this was not your case.

This is old bug. It has nothing to do with your country being elective. It happens because you give republic to a person without heir. For a brief moment game thinks that your heir is also a heir to republic. So he is excluded from feudal succession. Save/reload fixes it. Or just give city/county/duchy to someone with heir.
^ that guy got it right, I think.