• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ghaladh

Major
12 Badges
Mar 5, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
It happened since I installed the last patch. Whenever you create a republic, if the successor is one of your children and you have the Elective monarchy succession law, he/she will disappear from the successor's selection screen and it will be impossible to bring him/her back. To circumvent the problem I temporarily design another guy to the succession (who doesn't disappear like the child) and I found the republic.

Anyone else had this problem?

It happened since I installed the last patch. Whenever you create a republic, if the successor is one of your children and you have the Elective monarchy succession law, he/she will disappear from the successor's selection screen and it will be impossible to bring him/her back. To circumvent the problem I temporarily design another guy to the succession (who doesn't disappear like the child) and I found the republic.

It isn't a bug. It's supposed to be that way.

Had this happen too. It must be a bug, since why me creating a miserable little republic in Ireland as emperor of the world has to do with my perfect heir disappearing...yeah, I'm not buying it.

No Bug. WAD.
Pro-tip, don't create a republic with a member of a ruling dynasty somehwere. It might mess up succession in feudal realms. As it's seniorty elective..or such..usually the oldest living dynasty member inherits the house.
Unlanded dynasty members elswewhere then might disappear from their feudal succession line. That means trouble in the house. Also landed nobles (unless inside the republic), can't inherit republic houses.

Your heir becomes the heir to the Republic, and becomes ineligible to inherit any feudal titles.
Its definitely intentional. I'm surprised you don't have an Uncle or Brother that would inherit the (republic) title instead of your chosen heir.

Putting your dynasty in a vassal republic is way more trouble than its worth. You end up stealing good heirs from each other.

Are you giving the republic to a close dynasty member? The game won't allow someone to be in line for both a republic title and a feudal title that is not a vassal of the republic. That is the only time I have seen this issue occur. If it is happening when creating a republic that is given out to a non-dynasty member, that does sound like a bug to me.

edit: ninja'd.

No Bug. WAD.
Working as designed, and it's designed badly. It can be corrected, right? It's unreasonable that I see one of my successors disappearing simply because I create a new republic with new families in it. It would make sense if my child was a designated successor to the republic, but it was never the case.

.............. It would make sense if my child was a designated successor to the republic, but it was never the case.

But you wrote this..
...Whenever you create a republic, if the successor is one of your children and you have the Elective monarchy succession law, he/she will disappear from the successor's selection scree

So what's the case then ? Misunderstanding ? I'm irritated.

Successor to the Patrician house of the same dynasty then i guess.

Bolded for emphasis.

Were they or were they not the successor of the republic? If they were, it is working as designed and it is working well[/i]. It avoids all kinds of potential issues with whole kingdoms spontaneously becoming republics, or republics suddenly disintegrating.

No guys, you misunderstand what I said. My child is the successor to the throne of the kingdom that created the republic. The republic I create has nothing to do with this succession. Supposedly, the new republic will have its own families (unrelated to my dynasty, since they are freshly created AI characters with a dynasty on their own). I simply promote a mayor to ruler of the county and then I assign the duchy title to him. No relation to my family. Is that clear now?

Maybe you should then elaborate in detail about the situation and your problem.

I already found a way to avoid the problem, but thank you for the suggestion. I just want to understand if that's a bug or not and if there is a permanent solution to it, rather that arranging a technical exploit.

I just did

Well not good enough.
But reading Mr_jon3s' post i remembered the visual successor bug. Sometimes the displayed successor is not what will happen. So successions will work as it should, but the displayed successor is another and lacking behind.
Maybe that was the case in your game as well. So a bug , but only a display bug. I'd be surprised if that won't get fixed in the next patch.

To be more precise.

I am playing as the King of Greece. I successfully declared independence from the Byzantine empire and I stripped it of all its Greek territories. I am going to take over 80% of the empire's territories and I will usurp the Title.
I was able to choose the Elective Monarchy succession law, since it's my favorite, and I chose the second of my four children to succeed me. God blessed my dynasty with four males and the second was born with the genius trait due to his lovable and smart mother.

I decided I needed more gold to hire more mercenaries, so I am going to convert the just conquered Isle of Crete to a republic. I create the mayor of the main city, I promoted him to rule over the county, then I assigned him the tile of Duke of Krete. That turns him into a Doge and gives him dominion over the whole island.

As soon as I turned my mayor into a Doge, the game warns me that I still have to select a successor. What happened? I go to the screen with the intention to select again my beloved little genius prince, but I can't find him in the list. I though, perhaps he's dead and I didn't notice XD. No he was there, at my court, healthy and smiling awaiting to find a proper bride.

I returned to the screen and I tried again, but nothing to do. So I said to myself, WTF? I reloaded the last saving, I appointed as successor my most annoying vassal, the Duke of Aegean Islands (I would kill him right away, but he's my father in law and I don't want to upset my beautiful wife), hoping that the bug takes him out of the way from the succession list. I create the republic but he's still there as a successor. My son, however, can be elected.

Ok, I thought, I want to see if I change a few conditions, that happens again. I reloaded the save game before the creation of the Cretan republic, I kept my son as successor but I married him, and I made him Duke of Nikaea. I created the republic. He vanishes again form the list.

I, again, reloaded changed again the successor to someone else and I created the damn republic. After that I re-elected my son as a successor and I kept playing.

Is that accurate enough now?

To be more precise.

Is that accurate enough now?

Yup. :)

Weird though as long as your chosen successor son was unlanded in your court. No idea, especially as i did just play a feudal game where i created several republics under me and this didnt happen.
Do you play on the last patch and oh..did you buy it from GG ? ;) The latter is slightly OT though and rather of rethorical nature.

Last edited:
Yup. :)

Weird though as long as your chosen successor son was unlanded in your court. No idea, especially as i did just play a feudal game where i created several republics under me and this didnt happen.
Do you play on the last patch and oh..did you buy it from GG ? ;) The latter is slightly OT though and rather of rethorical nature.

Yes... and yes :). I will register the game as soon as I don't feel too lazy to fill a form.

Yes... and yes :). I will register the game as soon as I don't feel too lazy to fill a form.

Nice. No form really. Just go to " MyGames " at the top left, choose game, register, wait a little if nothing happens (sometimes registration needs a while), have a look at the displayed icon option there (it's new) and you're done.
Welcome. (on the other thread: Mods usually don't like that. Beware of the forum rules http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/faq.php?faq=new_faq_item#faq_faq_forum_rules. Just for your convenience.)
:)