AI Cheats - Facts and misunderstandings

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hm.. ok but i have one question about ai cheats left...
How does the ottoman empire, england and france mannaged to get military tech 10 with a 15years ahead malus?!?
I could no store enough points to get military tech 10 as a venice with 5% innovative ideas, a 5% neighbour bonus (ottomans), 10% advisor bonus and 10%hre bonus...

Hm.. ok but i have one question about ai cheats left...
How does the ottoman empire, england and france mannaged to get military tech 10 with a 15years ahead malus?!?
I could no store enough points to get military tech 10 as a venice with 5% innovative ideas, a 5% neighbour bonus (ottomans), 10% advisor bonus and 10%hre bonus...

Are AI bonuses or lucky nations on?

This is a simplification but generally in order of priority like this:
1) Important actions (getting out of negative stab, getting rid of overextension, reducing high WE etc)
2) Tech, if very far behind
3) Starting on new ideagroup/finishing almost finished ideagroups
4) Tech, if behind
5) Ideas
6) Less important actions (changing cultures, raising stab to 2/3, etc)
7) Tech, if not too far ahead
This actually confirms something I had already concluded; Techs should have a higher priority than Ideas for a Human player

I am surprised that the AI doesn't get any bonuses to ruler stats, based on the string of amazing rulers nations like the Ottomans and Spain have had during my game. Good to know though, thank you!

Thank you very much for this post Wiz. Great information straight from the horse's mouth as it were. :)

I love the interaction the Paradox devs have on the boards here.

- AI gets +1 diplomat that it reserves for non-maintained actions because the diplomatic AI 'ticks' means that it can't do the recall-send strategy that players do with maintained diplomats.

If that is true, why have I seen nations being -1000 (can't conduct diplomatic action right now) for months on end? I thought they "ran out" of diplomats like players do.

Smart AI: Sire, our god like view of the world shows a massive Prussian army heading this way, should we combine with our larger allied force and make a stand in the mountain pass?
AI: No! We will all move our separate armies to different locations that have no strategic value, and allow the 30k Human army to attack them one by one. That plan always works.
Smart AI: But Sire...
AI: SILENCE, and let us also declare war on the French, so that we may destroy both hulking juggernauts at the same time!!!

Bold'd the "So True"

if you were to prioritize what crutch to get rid of first, i d like to see the admiral-at-sea cheat fixed. I would be nice to be able to catch them with their pants down.

edit: oh and one you didnt list: they have 0.0 delay when running away from a fight. Would be nice to have to chase / play wackamole on the lowest speed setting to have any chance of catching a retreating AI unit.

Also heres a little wish:

while its not really a big deal, it does seem rather odd for small, pathetic countries to be forging claims on superpowers next to them. I v seen it often. "Morocco has been caught forging a claim on <random Spanish core>" with spain at a 10 to 1 manpower advantage and a 5 or more tech lead in military.

it seems suicidally stupid.

Last edited:
if you were to prioritize what crutch to get rid of first, i d like to see the admiral-at-sea cheat fixed. I would be nice to be able to catch them with their pants down.

You're unlikely to be out of position enough for that to give them a large advantage, and the AI tends to rarely have a fleet even remotely proportional to yours if you're a naval power. I can see this being a challenge for nations that typically don't invest in a navy, but even then its just a matter of going a little over your forcelimits to crush them then keeping them pinned down by a patrol or two.

This actually confirms something I had already concluded; Techs should have a higher priority than Ideas for a Human player

But the prioritization Wiz listed only put techs high if very far behind. Tech was in the middle, if behind. Tech was dead last, and even then only if not too far ahead. Sounds to me like the AI likes the neighbor bonus on techs, and takes ideas if he's on par tech-wise.

Of course, I'm not sure where you or the players you're referring to are placing tech. That's below where I put tech, fwiw. I'll take tech unless I'm paying an ahead penalty or there's an idea I really want. OTOH I've probably been picking the wrong ideas, because I get to the ~3rd one, say "yes!", then look at the rest and think "meh, eventually".

I am surprised that the AI doesn't get any bonuses to ruler stats, based on the string of amazing rulers nations like the Ottomans and Spain have had during my game. Good to know though, thank you!

The AI in general doesn't get bonus ruler stats- but lucky nations do, iirc.

Ah I see, thanks for the info. I would have set lucky nations to random/none in ironman mode if I had the choice then but I guess I just have to up my game a bit in order counter these rrulers!

Play with AI bonuses also. It makes for glorious victories and crushing defeats all the damn time, really adds flavour to the game.

2) How much does the AI care about forcelimits?

Use the ledger in your game to take a look, it should be fairly indicative of the AI's approach to it. Right now based on mine I can see that most AI nations tend to stay on or just below their army forcelimit while at war but they seem to base their navy more around what is immediately useful than trying to keep it near the forcelimit.