+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: AI Cheats - Facts and misunderstandings

AI Programmer Paradox Dev Team Wiz's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    East India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

AI Cheats - Facts and misunderstandings

I've seen a lot of misconceptions here and elsewhere about what advantages the AI gets over the player (besides the ones rolled into 'Bonuses' and 'Lucky Nations', which are explained through tooltips in the game options menu), so I thought I'd make a post and clear up in which exact ways the AI 'cheats'. Some of these cheats are crutches that it is my goal to eliminate, while others are more or less necessary for gameplay or performance reasons (for instance the +1 diplomat is necessary because the AI only handles diplomacy about once a month and therefore can't do the cancel diplomat, use diplomat, resend diplomat thing players do).

First, let me dispel some common misconceptions:
    - The AI does not cheat with dice rolls, not even Lucky Nations. If you believe this to be the case, you are experiencing confirmation bias (ie you notice the times it rolls well a lot more than you notice the times you yourself do).
    - The AI does not cheat with land attrition. No, really. Not even a little bit.
    - The AI does not get extra manpower or free units.
    - The AI does not cheat with sieges.

Now, a list of how it actually cheats:
    - AI does not get naval attrition. It does avoid going too far out of range with most of its naval operations though, to somewhat simulate it.
    - AI can see through fog of war, but pretends it can't in most cases.
    - AI gets +1 diplomat that it reserves for non-maintained actions because the diplomatic AI 'ticks' means that it can't do the recall-send strategy that players do with maintained diplomats.
    - AI gets +1 free leader pool because it's not nearly as good as a human at planning out when it will need leaders and needs to keep them on hand always.
    - AI does not pay hiring costs for advisors, only maintenance, because their hiring code isn't that good and otherwise they waste a lot of money.
    - AI can reassign admirals to a fleet that is at sea.
    - AI gets slightly fewer revolts in its home owner area (the provinces connected to its capital).
    - AI gets less native uprisings, because it is less than optimal at keeping its colonies garrisoned.

Finally, for the sake of fairness, here is how the human cheats:
    - AI is willing to use up its last diplorelation for a human (it reserves one for humans so you're not always getting 'can't afford another relation').
    - Humans cannot get inherited by other countries, in a PU or elsewise.
    - Humans cannot be replaced as warleader in a war unless they are a vassal.
    - Humans can save and reload when things go badly (unless you're playing ironman).
    - Humans have a human brain.

On balance, AI isn't that big a cheater is it?

Jackals! Vultures! Lord Finnish's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Good info, thank you for that.
    Mod:
    Byzantium - Imperial Restoration for Darkest Hour
    Empire of Pohjola for Crusader Kings II
    Wilhelm Scream for Crusader Kings II

AAR:
    The Nazi Time Machine - A Strange Story of the First Reich (CK2) Dead due to save game corruption. Will restart eventually.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Thx for the info!

Edit: Stick in the FAQ or something?

But what about the rebel AI? Surely it is the biggest cheater of all! 30 regiments rising up in a country with a force limit of 12? Where are these phantom soldiers coming from? Tut, tut, tut. Rebels have no honour, Mr. Wiz!

Quote Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
    Humans have a human brain.
    Most don't.

You seem to be missing the biggest cheat, which is that the AI is self learning.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    East India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Jia Xu View Post
    But what about the rebel AI? Surely it is the biggest cheater of all! 30 regiments rising up in a country with a force limit of 12? Where are these phantom soldiers coming from? Tut, tut, tut. Rebels have no honour, Mr. Wiz!
    Rebel AI cannot cheat because it rebels against the idea that there are rules to obey.

Regent-Custodian of the Light riknap's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    nice Wiz!
    this definitely helps as both an official clarification as well as a comprehensive index of things.

those are determined by event codes though (so blame the evil paradox event scripters for that XD )
    LUX INVICTA! Rebuild the Empire of Megas Alexandros! Restore Roman Glory! Banish the Dark Ages!
    >>[Subsidiary Modules] [Frequent Questions] [Gameplay Guide] [Changelogs] [LUX INVICTA AETERNA]<<

Saeculum Obscurum: A Late Antiquity Mod, Fall of the Western Roman Empire and Rise of the Early Medieval Era. [beta state]
    LIBERT3 Primary Portal, for the Lux Invicta Buildings & Events, Retinues & Tactics, Traits & Technology Module. [INTEGRATED]
    Advanced Battles & Combat Depth Essentials. Planning portal for a comprehensive tactics overhaul project. [WIP - EXP farming]
    El Psy Congroo: Battle for world-line delta. A role-playing invasion modification. [WIP - EXP farming]

500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Thank you very much! The reserved diplorelation is very nice from the AI.

- Humans cannot get inherited by other countries, in a PU or elsewise.
    May I ask why that is?

Quote Originally Posted by Svampen View Post
    Thx for the info!

Edit: Stick in the FAQ or something?
    I'll ask for it to be moved to FAQ when discussion has run its course, but right now I want people to notice it before posting another "AI gets no attrition!"

Quote Originally Posted by underlordgc View Post
    May I ask why that is?
    Because random game over on monarch death does not make for fun gameplay. You can still get diploannexed/integrated.

Off-topic: Is there much AI work to do on EU4 now? Enough to keep you on the game for the foreseeable future, or will you just be patching little things and then moving on to the next project?

Quote Originally Posted by underlordgc View Post
    May I ask why that is?
    Because losing the game solely through inheritance mechanics isn't very fun. This isn't CK2, dynastic mechanics are mostly outside of the player's control, and you shouldn't lose for something you can't reasonably plan for.
    GENERATION 34: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

- AI is willing to use up its last diplorelation for a human (it reserves one for humans so you're not always getting 'can't afford another relation').
    I'm curious about this- if the AI reserves a diplorelation for humans, how come I do occasionally get the can't afford another relation modifier?

Thanks so much for putting this together Wiz, and for all your other posting. You're wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Roswulf View Post
    I'm curious about this- if the AI reserves a diplorelation for humans, how come I do occasionally get the can't afford another relation modifier?

Thanks so much for putting this together Wiz, and for all your other posting. You're wonderful.
    AI can use up its last diplorelation under very specific circumstances, usually because it got a PU or force-vassalized someone.

How does the AI prioritize usage of monarch points? I want to know if it's that I'm bad at managing my monarch points or if the AI just gets ahead in tech because it doesn't use them for ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevanchist View Post
    How does the AI prioritize usage of monarch points? I want to know if it's that I'm bad at managing my monarch points or if the AI just gets ahead in tech because it doesn't use them for ideas.
    This is a simplification but generally in order of priority like this:
    1) Important actions (getting out of negative stab, getting rid of overextension, reducing high WE etc)
    2) Tech, if very far behind
    3) Starting on new ideagroup/finishing almost finished ideagroups
    4) Tech, if behind
    5) Ideas
    6) Less important actions (changing cultures, raising stab to 2/3, etc)
    7) Tech, if not too far ahead

Командир Батаљона DanubianCossak's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the Throne500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

This has nothing to do with AI, but with rebel spawning mechanic thingie.

Also just think about what you just said. Rebel AI? Is there any other rebel type, human led perhaps? All rebels in game are AI... How would you tell difference XD
    Go Russia, kick some fascist butts!

Clinically diagnosed russophile, scourge of self righteous Westerners.

Now, a list of how it actually cheats:
    - AI does not get naval attrition. It does avoid going too far out of range with most of its naval operations though, to somewhat simulate it.
    This is good, but is it affecting exploration?

I'm playing for the first time as a Western tech group country that is not Portugal, and am now seeing what they did 50 years before.

They have Cape Verde, and colonies in Brazil, but they don't even seem to have discovered the Ivory Coast trade node! (Their Brazil trade is not being collected, so it is 'flowing' to nowhere as it can't flow to a node they haven't discovered.)

They've explored sea zones (including open sea ones) in range of their bases, but not further than that. This would explain why, in my Ottoman game, no Europeans had shown up in the Indian Ocean even at the start of the 17th century!

(And you'll never get an AI Spain in the Philippines without a willingness to go outside naval range!)

- AI gets slightly fewer revolts in its home owner area (the provinces connected to its capital).
    Are those provinces bordering capital, or all provinces where you can travel from capital without crossing the border?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast