• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ober

Sir Anjin
20 Badges
Sep 15, 2009
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines
UmSYcR0.png

Introduction

(...)At the end of 18th Century European powers, which had already dominated world thanks to extensive colonization of overseas areas and most profitable trade - but in most cases thanks to modern guns - had been facing disastrous effects of absolutist rule and Enlightment's influence. In 1789 brutal revolution had overthrown absolutist Louis XVI and proved, that absolutism can be faced and destroyed via such revolution. All reactionary monarchies of Europe pledged to defend fallen French monarchy - fearing that one day revolutionaries in their countries may knock to the doors of their extravagant palaces and cut their heads off with fearsome guillotine. How did they crumble! Three years had passed but none was able to bring Bourbons back to Paris. The rumors are that Austrian Kaiser, along with his Prussian and Russian vis-a-vis are preparing a big Coallition against free French Republic. Ready to remove French threat at all cost, they're only proving how scared are they of French Revolution. In last days of absolutism and reactionism greedy rulers are willing to do everything to keep their thrones - or at least head on a shoulder. While preparations to big expedition against Republic are grabbing biggest attention of Europeans, somewhere far away from Paris, Bastille, Loire, all those wonders and rich places, where people broken the chains of reactions and are living peaceful and prosperous life, there's one forgotten country, somewhat poor and desolate, with no hope to face upcoming Armageddon. Only similarity to France is that same three leaders of Coallition are also meddling there. Encircled by reactionary demons, led by a weak King and stubborn magnates is also about to face absolutist wrath. No one is really bothered with them, underdogs, technically already occupied since fifty years - as Russian ambassador Repnin in capital is most important person here - yet some of them still believe. French Revolution gave them hope again. If it is going to be the last battle, let's at least make it worth being called Revolution(...)

L69WZjG.jpg

Words of Wisdom and Game Setup

Well...I miss my Livonian soo much :( The story is, back when I had that old, stupid, crappy PC (I hate it till today) from time to time things were messing up because of messing up. So yeah, I've lost everything once - my Livonian saves and W.I.P alternative mod (I've done so much! x_X). But well, it was long time ago and I can somehow live with it. Since now I have possibility to do so, I can record FtG. It is fun to play and talk, even if it looks awful now, but we all like some good story ain't we? Yepepe we do. I like what patch 1.3 did for this game - pgroves and Nein have their AARs (rarely updated but still), and I want one too! Had no idea which country to pick - was toying with idea of Zheng He's colony in America, totalitarian Japan under Oda Nobunaga, Hussite Empire...yesterday I was playing Fantasy Byzantium on AGCEEP, united it, had some fun, but that's it. I've been looking for other doomed countries to make a little survival story and...there goes my homeland. Back in time, on one Polish forum, I had started two AARs about Poland. One was about Polish army in the West in 1944, another one about puppet kingdom in 1939 controlled by Germans. Both ended quickly because HoI2 quickly gets boring...And also, since EU IV is tragic, at least at the moment, I really feel like I'll stick to FtG some more ;)

So now it is time for last days of Rzeczpospolita (Commonwealth)...worry not, FtG-masta in da haus, will be of victorious for sure! Remember kids, Poland Strong!

Mod: WATKABAOI 2.05
Difficulty: Normal
Aggressiveness: Furious
Duration: From 1792 to 1836. After 1836 I'll either continue in FtG, or try to convert the game to Vic:R (it's possible, did it once with FtG).
Goals: Survive! Take revenge! Transform this pile of crap into modern state!
Additional events: Hell yes! And monarchs and leaders too! You know me, I'm a modderperson!

Table of Contents

0kriMYm.png

Chapter One: Commonwealth of Poland and Lithuania (1792-1805)

Episode I: Foreign Intervention (10th January 1792 - 12th November 1792)
Episode II: The Great Insurrection (13th November 1792 - 24th March 1794)
Episode III: Come Death, Come! (25th March 1794 - 19th September 1795)
Episode IV: Polish Apocalypse (20th September 1795 - 9th December 1796)
Episode V: Second Coallition (10th December 1796 - 9th December 1798)
Episode VI: A New Tannenberg (10th December 1798 - 10th August 1801)
Episode VII: Hearts of Iron (11th August 1801 - 16th November 1804)
Episode VIII: Congress of Warsaw (17th November 1804 - 12th April 1805)​

V2LGyrz.png

Chapter Two: United Republic of Poland, Lithuania and Ruthenia (1805-?)

Episode IX: Birth of Republic (13th April 1805 - 12th August 1807)
Episode X: United We Stand... (13th August 1807 - 1st January 1812)
Episode XI: Neither Holy, nor Roman, nor Empire... (2nd January 1812 - 23rd March 1814)
Episode XII: Peace of Vienna (23rd March 1814 - 1st April 1814)
Episode XIII: Third Coalition (1st April 1814 - 1st April 1816)
Episode XIV: Gates of Hell (1st April 1816 - 1st August 1817)
Episode XV: White Eagle and Black Baron (1st August 1817 - 1st Janaury 1822)
Episode XVI: Legacy of Republic (1st Janaury 1822 - 23rd February 1823)
Episode XVII: Revolutionary Thaw (24th February 1823 - 12th May 1827)
Episode XVIII: The Split (13th May 1827 - 27th August 1829)

Governments of First Republic

First Government of United Republic (T. Kościuszko - J.H. Dąbrowski) (24th February 1823 - 12th May 1827)
Second Government of United Republic (J.H. Dąbrowski - A. Czartoryski) (13th May 1827 - 27th August 1829)
Third Government of United Republic (J. Chłopicki - A. Czartoryski) (27th August 1829 - ?)

Index of Maps and Graphs

Hope you all have fun here and stuff. ;)
Ober

Last edited:
UmSYcR0.png

Chapter One: Commonwealth of Poland and Lithuania
Episode I - Foreign Intervention

Tension between Revolutionary France and Reactionary Coallition had reached zenith in 1792, when French Army was still scrambling in Rhineland and Alsace, beating all opponents and sowing the seeds of Revolution in western Germany. Coallition needed to act quickly - it's better to fall on battlefield facing enemy rather than letting Revolution knock to your doors - then smash them and cut your head down. Oh guillotine, that fearsome machine! It already became a symbol of new, bloody order, who asks no questions and eliminates its enemies swiftly. Coallition - mainly Kaiser Leopold II (who had been succeeded by Franz II same year), brother of Marie Antoinette, deposed French Queen - were rushing to gather huge army and move towards France to restore good old Ancien Regime. It is truly obvious French people were missing old system so badly! That mad guillotine, it blinded them! Glorious Imperial Army must head there and show them, misguided peasants the way! Other problem was that gathering of unstoppable force took very long time. Rebellious peasants, merchants and all lowborn scum was surprisingly versed in combat - so far every foreign army which entered France had been literally smashed to pieces. Preparation is the key, and Kaiser's team knew it. Huge coallition consisting of Austria, Prussia, Russia, United Kingdom, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, Ottoman Empire and Sardinia-Piemont(!) was somehow relucant about crossing French border. Who knows what might happen there? They say that French are mad people! Cursed ones! For example, there's a tiny little Corsican corporal who kills ten people with nine bullets! This land is cursed! It is like crusade! Holy Coallition needs to move there quickly! But the orders weren't coming, month after month...Then, surprisingly, French scum got bored with waiting. French Assembly declared war on Austria on 20th April of 1792. Coallition had no choice - greatest war of all times had started. Biggest, best equiped armies were heading towards French border. Revolution needs to be stopped! And everyone knows it. While Coallition was saving Europe from treacherous revolution of mad French people, thousand and five hundred kilometres from Paris, Assembly and Guillotine there was a palace, with a weak, ill petty king and angry Russian ambassador. No glory, no splendor - only demands. Harsh demands...

RlnyR5j.jpg

Russian ambassadors were technically rulers of Poland during August Poniatowski's reign. Since Prince Nikolai Repnin's (1764-1768) times, Russian ambassadors - via Russian Empress Yekaterina - were assuming bigger and bigger control over Poland. Weak king August - although decent patron of arts and initiator of a few innovative reforms - was also very dependent on Yekaterina's will (he was her lover in fact). When Russian ambassador was visiting him, everyone knew that Empress wasn't content with August's new plans to reform Poland - since ambassador's role in Poland was to practically control the King. And King - fainting every time he heard about Russian interference - allowed Poland to decay even more, letting it to fall into agony, making it even more vulnerable to strike than it ever was. Some thought that things will change - proclamation of Third May Constitution was a milestone in reforming crumbling Poland. Of course, you cannot contain Russian hordes with a document - but with its help you could smash treacherous magnates, limit foreign influence, gather an army and face the demon on equal terms. Constitution was signed on 3rd May of 1791, when Yekaterina had no time for her lover - Russo-Turkish War was raging since 1787 in the south and Poland was sort of less important, at least then. But in 1792, once Russians and Turks signed Treaty of Jassy - Yedisan (nowadays Odessa area) was ceded to Yekaterina. Now it was time for Poland and orthodox masses in its easternmost part. And there we again, back in Warsaw. Russian ambassador Jakob Sievers was visiting King every day. It was clear that if August won't revoke Constitution, Russians will enter to restore order and save Polish folks from stench of French Revolution - well, make them Russian folks in general. Yekaterina's friends - freshly crowned Franz II and Prussian king-elector Friedrich promised to help, as always. Although August was a broken man, saving Poland was no longer up to him. Disregarded and ignored he remained a virtual ruler. Only strong and modern army could save Poland in this perilious moment. But can army technologically inferior to Russian be called "modern"? State of Polish Army was tragic. Fierce ambition and patriotism couldn't replace newest guns or special training. State itself couldn't help army - restrictions imposed by Russia forced Poland to have only tiny "self-defence force", which couldn't defend even one city. Luckily for Kingdom, some Poles were fighting and learning about military abroads and could at least partially prepare army to face greedy neighbours again. First of them was world-wide known commander Tadeusz Kościuszko, prominent officer who took part in American independence war. He proved himself there, and although Americans pressed him to stay in United States, he sailed back to Poland when it needed him the most. His fresh experience of how modern battlefield works was precious for his kinsmen. Another man to lead Poles in last years of Commonwealth was Prince August Poniatowski, King August's brother. Raised in Austria, he took part in war against Turks and same as Kościuszko learned about modern warfare, leading some troops along other prominent Imperial generals. He returned to Poland only when August begged him to do so - when another war was only a matter of time.

zZ4xjaf.png

Sievers's pressure was getting bigger and bigger, but August - although broken as mentioned - didn't give up, forced by his advisors to stay put. Soon news about Russians gathering near border reached Poland - it wasn't surprise since it would happen sooner or later. Even if Yekaterina mobilized all her might to punish unruly Poles, and even if her allies agreed to enter Poland too - it was not the best moment to do so for Coallition. On 10th April - what a lucky coincidende for Poland! - France declared war on Austria and all its allies. German armies already moved towards west, only small forces were left in homeland, just in case. And well, since Russians called for intervention Prussians and Austrians entered too. Even if they devoted vast amount of resources to supress France, they still held enormous advantage against Poland, in quality and quantity of forces. What could possibly go wrong? Russians crossed Polish border during June, Austria and Prussia declared war in October. Overwhelming forces moved towards encircled Poland. August was unable to make any decision, so he remained only a virtual ruler. In secref from invaders Kościuszko, Poniatowski and another veteran of American war - Kazimierz Pułaski - formed, along with statesmen supporting reforms Triumvirate to coordinate army movements and - if not stop attackers - to at least delay they advance, until one day French will break reactionaries, and all of them, mad and furious, like that Corsican guy, and via Germany and Austria enter Poland to aid brave Polish kingdom. Until then future remained uncertain - Poles could only count on their own forces. After additional mobilization Polish Army counted sixty thousand people - its first task is to get rid of first Russian wave which already flooded the border and blocked key cities in the east. Whether they will succeed or not, at least they accepted Yekaterina's challenge...

K7TBmFc.png

Fin.

____
Back again, how cool is that? I can say this AAR will last until 1836 as promised :D Get pumped up!
Hopefully someone will tell me again that I'm nice and sexy and stuff. I like nice words and you know it.

So, you'll have a video about Finnish game from time to time and Poland fighting to survive...oh come on, that's cool!
I'm really optimistic today...dunno why.

Seeyah nextah taimah!

Last edited:
Really nice layout! :D
Good Luck!

Warfare AAR is best AAR :cool:

Such a tough situation... I'm wondering why you split your forces when it would seem to be better to destroy the small Russia forces one by one with overwhelming force. Among those regiments I saw a golden number, could it be... Suvorov?

However hard it may be, you must gain a port now (Odessa?) to trade abroad and gain moneyz, and then hopefully what Poland really deserves *cough*Gdańsk*cough*.

Looking at the map and the scenario, you have many cores, but mostly just claims. But the worst is that even Lithuania is made of up of them and even its culture is not accepted. I assume you will change that.

Even when leaving all that aside, the sheer fact of fighting Russia alone is a big enough problem, and then there's the Western Powers... I doubt the BBB will keep Prussia busy enough. Talking about France I understand the French and you are fighting the same enemies, but are you actually allied?

I expect a march on Moscow.

GO POLAN!!!!!

@Davis

Yu lewak yu! But nice of you to drop in ;)

@Nein

Of course, Polen Kriegsmachinen! I've split my one army into two to destroy one Russian army split into four. Seems logic for me ;)

Well, claims are absolutely horrendous in this scenario. Why Eastern Prussia? Why whole Silesia? Not like I'm complaining you see :)D), but I assume that Oppeln, Oels and Warmia is max. On the other hand, Poland doesn't have Lithuanian culture, but has both Ruthenian and Silesian...well, someone deserves whipping here. :D

Nope, we ain't allied, but they can help me indirectly by sending as much German soldiers to hell as they can ;)

And now, a cool news: I used Eu2Rev converter with WATKABAOI module (glad I found it) aand...it works! So what, I feel like - in case of flawless victory - I might continue it in Vic:Rev after 1836. Sounds like a good plan? ;)

Sounds like a good plan!

Mmm, once you're done with the Russians as an immediate threat and begin expanding at Prussia's expense, closer cooperation with Paris would be good

UmSYcR0.png

Episode II - Great Insurrection

There was no doubt that sooner or later Yekaterina will release her endless hordes against Poland if August will disobey her will. Targowica's "efforts" helped Empress to make such decision. Reactionary and treacherous group of magnates had been constantly informing Sankt Petersburg about desperate attempts to bring Polish Kingdom's independence back. Yekaterina needed not to be encouraged to start intervention. While Russian action against Poland was surely expected by secret Triumvirate, August was - surprisingly - shocked to tears upon hearing news that his lover sent ruthless Suvorov and sixty thousands of soldiers to bring him and his country down. As he couldn't neither explain nor oppose her will he simply left Warsaw and travelled to Sankt Petersburg, along with Targowica members. Whether he went there to seek reconcilation with Yekaterina or just ran away from arising hell - that remains to be explained. Triumvirate and reformers weren't interested in petty investigations - enemies were at the gates! Triumvirate couldn't help losing western and eastern parts of Poland - Prussians and Russians were quicker, and besides Targowica and August accepted territorial losses before leaving Warsaw. In fact loss of eastern voivodships might have been another of those happy coincidences known from history. Yekaterina halted her troops in taken territories, probably expecting modern Prussian armies to steamroll through Poland. Why would she waste her people while Germans can do it? That's a sneaky move indeed. And most likely the main reason behind events occuring in next year.

b3JPaJj.jpg

Eastern voivodships (Minsk, Kiev, Braclav)* were lost without a fight, and Triumvirate, realizing that Yekaterina wasn't intending to move any further - abandoned eastern possesions, at least temporarily. Now main focus was on Prussian forces, led by general von Ziethen leading invasion. Polish forces were covering its borders aptly, however, they couldn't be in all places at once. In June Ziethen crossed border and moved towards Kraków. Both Kościuszko and Poniatowski attacked him near Lanckorona, a site where modern Polish army was born that day. Disastrous loss effected in major morale drop and almost twenty thousands (!) dead and wounded soldiers. Clever usage of infantry, cavalry and - most of all - artillery effected in a bloodbath for Poles. Experience gathered that day however was priceless, and Prussians also lost around ten thousands soldiers. Kraków was besieged since June to September. In meantime Poles retreated behind Vistula, reorganized their ranks, and gathered new supplies - including brand new cannons, ready to be used Prussian way. Tragic loss at Lanckorona made Ziethen think very lowly of his enemies. He disregarded the danger, despite Polish advantage in numbers in that area. Siege continued, despite appeals that it might end as tragic as first battle ended for Poles. On 9th September both armies met again at Lanckorona. This time, armed with new cannons and prepared to outplay Ziethen, Kościuszko commenced battle. Two days later first Prussian army was mercilessly crushed. Great victory for freedom! Von Ziethen, six thousand Prussians and twenty cannons were taken to Kraków. Rest of Prussian regiments perished...Koenig Friedrich took it as a very bad luck, something what's happening in every battlefield these days. So another two armies were sent against Poles immediately - one led by Alexander zu Dohna-Schlobitten and second one by Friedrich Wilhelm von Bulow himself. It's such a honour to face generals that good...too bad that both had failed! Entirely failed against inferior Polish forces! Just before New Year's Eve von Bulow commenced major assault against Warsaw via Kraków, hoping to deal fatal blow to Poles like Ziethen did, take Warsaw and eliminate Poland once and for all. Kraków was taken by rapid assault - only Warsaw to go! But both Kościuszko's and Poniatowski's armies - covering northern and southern border at the time - again, thanks to inhuman effort reached Warsaw before von Bulow did. With impressive number of cannons, both procuded last summer, captured and those lent from Warsawian arsenal Poles welcomed von Bulow kindly, with fierce artillery fire from dawn to dusk. Von Bulow, unable to respond retreated a few kilometres away. During night massive Polish assault surprised proud Prussian Marschall, who was hastly retreating with remnants of his army. His destroyed army. Poles were replenishing their losses and repelling attack after attack. Zu Dohna was stopped and his army smashed by Poniatowski near Modlin, north from Warsaw. On March of 1794 another army had been comissioned by Friedrich and it even reached Warsaw - Russian and Austrian armies were getting more active and Poles had to do what they could to stop them from entering Poland. Before another enemy army was sent to hell, Triumvirate and officials went to Kraków. There's no need to hiding fact that Kościuszko and two other generals are ruling the country. In the medieval capital of Poland everything was to be made clear.

awGZ0PW.jpg

On 23rd March everyone arrived to Kraków, where big conference concerning political future of Poland was to be held. It wasn't really the best moment since Friedrich was throwing army after army towards Poland, but some matters were most pressing. At first, since August left Warsaw a few months ago and wasn't sending any messages from Sankt Petersburg, a new leadership for Poland had to be chosen. It was obvious that there's only one canditate. Although some offered Prince Poniatowski to take the throne, he refused, stating that now it's wartime and Poland needs strong, military leadership - exactly like Triumvirate. And indeed Triumvirate was made official, although its main character, Tadeusz Kościuszko was chosen asCommander in Chief of all of the Polish forces, which technically meant he became Polish head of state. Third May Consitution had been accepted and signed again as token of Polish independence. A lot of liberal reforms to reform Poland had been planned, along with Constitution's lines. Most of aristocracy's privileges had been revoked and more institutions and offices centralized. Temporary military districts were established, to speed up recruitment process. But most important, key reform to change Poland and turn it into modern, liberal state was official banishment of serfdom. Since 14th Century Polish peasants were becoming more and more dependent on aristocracy and magnates, thanks to Kings who were giving away their power via various privileges. At first peasants had been factually turned into serfs, and in the very end monarchy itself became servant of magnates. Now all this process, which begun four centuries ago were to be reverted. All the peasants who joined army were to be given land they utilize for free. After the war land were to be split equally among the peasants, but only if they can purchase it. Even if prices were set to laughable sums, most of serfs weren't able to afford it anyway. Magnates squezzed them for centuries, so not only they were living in chronic poverty, but also their mentality was somewhat aggressive. To bring all groups back and give them equal rights - that was Kościuszko's and many others dream to recreate strong Poland. But at first they need to win the war - upon hearing news about assembly in Kraków Yekaterina ordered Suvorov to attack Warsaw from the east...

It's not going to be easy ride, Suvorov boy.

0vsyaUk.jpg

Fin.

Well, events screwed me a bit. But thankfully (or maybe sadly) AI wasn't very demanding at this point. I was doing what I could to defend from Prussia and well, I found a way - via killing their leaders. In a long run it's going to be very benefitial tactics indeed ;)

And now Russian wave...maybe tomorrow? To be absolutely honest with you (and it was the same with Livonian AAR), I'm far ahead in game, so you know...still have those 120 screenshots...will have enjoyable fun time editing them :sleep:

Seeyah booyah!
Ober

Last edited:
UmSYcR0.png

Episode III - Come Death, Come!

Kraków events from 24th March not only reorganized Polish commanding structure, but also ensured that Poles were hoping to defend their independence and reform country afterwards. Magnates, who - mostly attracted by promises and bribes - were supporting attackers found themselves in dangerous situation. Although question of removing serfdom was to be solved after war, serfs were acting independently from time to time, forcing their "lords" to give them promised land. Triumvirate wasn't preventing such actions only if magnates who were traitors had been attacked. As they were expecting Russia and Prussia to quickly deal with Commonwealth, they were simply awaiting arrival of their "liberators". But two years had passed and Poles repelled Prussians, sending their first and second wave back to hell. Meantime in Belgium and Italy Coallition was struggling to purge French Revolution. Numerous French commanders, free from stench of Ancien Regime's corruption and nepotism made their presence by breaking into Rhineland and Lombardy. In theory Polish uprising was meant to be crushed in a few months and then most of Prusso-Austro-Russian army was to be thrown against France. But it appeared that war in Poland might take far more resources and units than Coallition thought. On summer of 1794 Suvorov's forces crushed rebels from former Ruthenian voivodships in the east and moved to aid Prussians, whose position after dramatic losses in Poland and Rhineland was getting more and more dangerous.

No matter how many soldiers would aggressors throw at Poland, Polish Hell was restless - if some peasants weren't able to join Kościuszko's army, they were forming local support units to purge traitors, patrol the roads or help with transport of supplies. Since Kraków's conference every resource available were used to support military operations. Thanks to massive mobilization of river marine regiments were often sailing through Vistula River, effectively increasing pace of movement. Villages were turned into supply bases and cities into fortresses. Whole country had been transformed into war zone, whoever crossed the border was crossing gate of Hell. Polish Hell.

Anyone brave (or crazy) enough to cross it will most likely never get away...

qoVFYIu.png

Suvorov crossed border around August and proceeded with blockade of Ruthenian and Lithuanian cities and forts. In meantime Alexander zu Dohna marched towards Warsaw from Eastern Prussia, but his second army was annihilated by Poniatowski near Ostrołęka. Soon he lead third one, while Kościuszko moved towards Brześć to route one of Russian armies, badly aggravated by extensive guerilla attacks. In meantime zu Dohna tried again. And third time wasn't a champ this time. Prince Poniatowski made sure he'll never return to Polish front. And indeed, loss from November settled his future in Prussian Army. Koenig Friedrich, extremely annoyed with Zu Dohna's inability to purge puny Polish uprising forced him to retire. Unlucky commander spent rest of his life in rural possession in Brandenburg, where more and more disastrous news from Polish front were heard every day. German garrison in Kraków, captured by Prussians at the end of 1793, had problems with containing rebellious citizens. Soon Polish units encircled city - if not artillery possessed by Germans they would have to surrender immediately. On April Wilno found itself in terrible situation - city walls were almost cracked and sheer amount of Russians was besieging the city. Kościuszko's surprise attack against besieger was another proof of his extraordinary skills - main Russian army had been routed from Lithuania, although another one - led by Suvorov himself - was preparing to strike from the north.

Battle after battle, Polish Hell was flooding its attackers through the gates. Zu Dohna's forced retirement enraged some of the generals, what with addition of yet another humilliation of Prussians near Tripstadt in Rhineland (June 1794) led to conflicts in Prussian headquarters. Austrians could not afford any intervention, despretaly defending Italy from Napoleon Bonaparte's wrath. Turkish spies were reporting growing unrest in Russian Caucasus and Crimea - and since Treaty of Jassy wasn't satysfying enough...

One does not simply oppose Hell.

n7t1RbM.jpg

But Hell also had its problems. Poland, mostly rural country with economy heavily focused on agriculture since the very beginning could not openly compete with three Great Powers, who have endless resources and can in fact play with little Poland for a decade or two. Without peasants working on fields economy could collapse quickly. Although every single Pole did his best - support peasant units were also doing their agricultural tasks and army was helping them when it wasn't fighting - Poland couldn't go on like that forever. Polish serfs were utterly exploited by magnates since 16th Century so inhuman work wasn't anything new to them. This time however it was something more than simply doing "owner"'s tasks. Kościuszko's promise - land and freedom for everyone - was the greatest dream for peasanty for centuries. Now it could become real, and those who'll contribute to independence war will be granted their land for free. Determination of lowest and biggest class of Polish society was crucial in those days. If Hell will fall, it will at least take everyone with itself...

Before summer campaign in 1795 started Friedrich was begging Yekaterina for help once again. Tsaritsa was pressing Suvorov to take decisive action quicker. But Suvorov was also getting older, less and less lively. 1795 campaign started from another Polish victories against Prussians in Czersk (how many times will they go this route?) and destruction of another Russian army in Volhynia. In August general Repnin - former Russian ambassador in 1760s - was sent with his unit to Prussia. Why? There are reasons to believe that he was sent to take control of Prussian units in the east. Prussian headquarters was crippling - one day loss in Rhineland, another day - in Poland. But Repnin proved that Russian reconnaisance is non-existent. He took route through Poland and - along with his unit - had been catched and fully eliminated. That loss was such a humilliation for Russians that Suvorov instantly launched successful expedition to Wilno. When it was captured, Suvorov razed most of it to the ground, as a form of punishment for opposing him. But he had to leave Lithuania - Poles reorganized themselves, recruited new soldiers and will most likely move east and take their revenge...in meantime, with yet another failure of Prussians at the fields of Bonn it appeared that they can't send any troops to Poland. Kaiser Franz promised to help Yekaterina in dealing with Polish threat...

ENkSqzh.jpg

Fin.

_____
I hoped for something more, but AI wasn't even remotely good. See how I killed their two leaders? One with artillery only, and that Repnin...but for the sake of story I'll try to somehow explain it.

And Portugal took Wilno. It's not even funny...well in fact it is :D Samorim yu gonna explain dat! Portuguese imperialism ain't no good in Polen! Well, Lithuania.

@Nein

Well, I was surprised about that event...70k of infantry - half of it insta-died because of attrition. And sliders...too good. I mean, Poland made last stand and had fallen in 1795 after some serious victories but hell no, those were thanks to determination - not because of quality (and you get a lot of quality in that event).

Gdańsk, of course. Some might say that there's no way for Poland to have it because German majority. But Germans were in Danzing since the very beginning of its existence. In 1650s when protestant Sweden invaded catholic Poland, protestant Germans in Danzig were loyal to Polish king, so...yeah. Gdańsk will return where it belongs ;)

See you next time :)

Last edited:
I assume you're minting fully, if that's the case, you'll have troubles sooner or later.

And that Portuguese attack deserves to be in the strange screenshot thread.

UmSYcR0.png

Episode IV - Polish Apocalypse

After loss of Wilno in November Russians retreated to homeland, to rest during winter in their bases near Poland's eastern border. For a first time since 1792 Commonwealth's civils and soldiers could rest for a few months. Of course it didn't mean that Poles rested on their laurels. Peasants were continuously fortifying key points in their area and doing various tasks for army - like transporting supplies or taking care of wounded soldiers in their areas. Fierce guerilla warfare, similar to one led by Vlad Tepes against Ottomans was working out great for defenders who - except of their life - had nothing to lose. Economy had broken already. Monetary system and trade temporarily ceased to exist - people where gathering what they could and supplying army with most of it - while splitting rest for themselves. Triumvirate agreed that it will have disastrous effects after war, but there was no other option for now. White Eagle held off Three Black Eagles for three years already. Prussian's wings were already broken. While Russian was recuperating after every blow dealt to him, Austrian one replaced Prussian. It was two against one again, however, French legions in Italy made sure Kaiserliche Armee will regret standing against them. Those who survived returned to Austria to reorganize and quickly deal with Poland. Veterans of Italian front were the best soldiers Poles were to face this year. Another wave of Russian conscripts flooded Lithuania in February. Soon Austria followed and Commonwealth was in trouble again.

5aOrBsq.jpg

Luckily for Poles, they held advantage in quantity against Austrians, so there was a hope. In fact attackers were the ones who needed quick victory - as long asforts were standing, Kościuszko and Poniatowski didn't make a single move. Winter of 1795/1796 aggravated attackers and now Poles decided to move against Austrian and Russian threat. Austrian plan was fairly similar to von Bulow's plan from 1793 - take Kraków, block Vistula river route and crush Warsaw soon. Sounds easy. And it wasn't that impossible. First Austrian army to join Polish conflict was the strongest one here. Kościuszko failed to route Austrians in January of 1796. Prince Poniatowski was doing far better - he defeated Russians who were trying to aid Austrians and also army of...Baden Elector, who moved east to aid Prussia. Soldiers sent by Elector never saw light of the day again. Kościuszko's second try to unlock Kraków was successful - first of Austrian armies was routed from Poland, but soon another one - which captured ruined Kraków for a second time in December. Poles couldn't help it since twenty thousands of Russians were attempting to attack Warsaw from north. Both armies met near Mława (north from Warsaw) on 5th December. Last dangerous Russian army was destroyed - with barely a few hundred dead on Polish side and fifteen thousand on Russian. Suvorov, who according to the rumor became paranoid and mentally ill, was removed from army. Costs of war in Poland were getting bigger and bigger - last war with Ottomans seemed to be a little skirmish if costs would be compared. Also Coalition was pressing Russia to send more soldiers to the West - allies were in perilous situation with Prussia promptly defeated and Austria humiliated.

But there was something more to it. In fact Tsaritsa Yekaterina passed away on 17th November of 1796. Her successor and son, Pavel I focused on securing throne for himself, since his brother Alexander was also eager to become new Tsar. Russian court plunged into wave of intrigues and political games. No one in Petersburg was bothered with Poland.

pDrx6zS.jpg

And so, Russian embassy travelled to Mława - where last Russian army had fallen - to negotiate with Kościuszko and exchange prisoners of war. Since 7th December Poles and Russians were not fighting, and on 11th December Truce of Mława was signed. For a next decade Poland and Russia were to not attack each other. Since both parties had their own issues they were sure that truce won't be broken. In a meantime, upon hearing news of Catherine's death, Polish diplomacy - which was actively observing European politics since War of First Coalition - had been allowed to make a decisive move to cripple Prussia and Austria. Day after truce was signed, in Mittau, Lithuanian port in Samogitia, emissaries of Gustav IV Adolf signed treaty with their Polish vis-a-vis. From now on Poland and Sweden were bound with a military alliance "against reactionary states of Prussia and Austria". For Swedes it was a chance to recuperate for losses in Germany by cutting down rest of Prussian Pomerania. For Poles it was first real ally (with exception of indirect French help which consisted on massive slaughter of Coalition). Now Berlin was in consistent danger, as Swedes were still holding Western Pomerania. Fate of Prussia was sealed with this alliance - and also Russia was out of the game. Only Austria remained, but recent destruction of Archduke Charles's army in Mantova by Coriscan demon Napoleon Bonaparte made its situation not much better from Prussian.

Polish Apocalypse reached them all. And there is no chance to escape it.

mdNVkJr.jpg

Fin.

@Nein

Not yet, but relatively soon. In next episode let's say ;)
Well, they signed truce with me soon and Wilno was mine again.

Daamn, that was tough. But well, as you might guess things will get really exciting right now. I didn't expect Russia to leave so early, but my plan indeed was to gather as many warscore as I could, I had around +20 with them at this point. And Sweden will do its job...well, in fact it did its job. I'm a few years ahead.

Four more to go for Chapter One. And then? Chapter Two! Rolen Polen!

See y'all next time (more of you could show up however :( )
Ober

Last edited:
I believe that you should have attacked that Austrian stack with both of your armies, I mean, you were crossing a river into a forest province...

Better not to think much about the current war, so... Will the Swedes get their revenge on the Bear?

As for the lack of people, alas, those are the troubles of being a remote corner of AARland... Sometime this forum shall get an award!

1.) Well, I also had to clear Russians so I decided to go at both. But maybe that was a poor decision indeed. I've lost a few battles because I can't coordinate attacks. There is a way to count it but I'm too lazy to learn it :(

2.) Not really. Once Russia offered peace I accepted it and tried to ally with Sweden a second later. And damn, it worked! All help is valuable in such mad times. So Sweden joined my war with Germans only but...I also joined one of their wars.

Not only Portuguese imperialism considers Lithuania its land! Damn :D

Thanks ;)

UmSYcR0.png

Episode V - Second Coalition

Victories over Russian and Prussian aggressors, coupled with surprising alliance between Poland and Sweden marked the turning point of Kościuszko's uprising. Situation of Three Black Eagles in 1797 was perilious. Pavel and Alexander were continuously hostile towards each other and question of succession - despite Pavel's coronation - wasn't fully decided yet. In addition frequent Ottoman provocations and gathering of troops were creating constant tension all over Black Sea - Turks were hoping to strike back once Russia won't be able to respond. No more Prussians were sent towards Poland - liberal and revolutionary groups in Prussia already started revolution, countered against absolutism and incompetent leaders. On 17th January of 1797 Bromberg (Bydgoszcz) had been captured by revolutionaries. Friedrich was shivering from fear, already seeing his royal head rolling over floor. And that demonic guillotine...Austria was the last of three invaders able to at least prevent Poles from crossing their border. Continuous losses in Italy weren't helping in any way.

Now Polish uprising became problem for the rest of Coalition. Russia refused to enter Poland again since Ottoman threat was growing. Prussia and Austria couldn't afford it. That's how Dutch regiments arrived to Poland - not to help Poles at least. Dutch episode was very short however - a month or two later, when Austrians suffered final losses in Poland and Italy, attackers sailed back to Lowlands. It was the weirdest episode during Polish uprising. Luckily Great Britain didn't intervene on Austrian side - English involvement could be disastrous. Now there was no way to stop Kościuszko's march on enemy territory. Five years since this madness started, Poles were finally an attacking side.

pnL0AXZ.jpg

Victorious march of Poles begun outside of Kraków, where last Austrian unit had been smashed to pieces and city liberated soon afterwards. Kraków's fate during this war was the worst - city had been taken by enemies four times (twice by Prussians and twice by Austrians), so it was almost entirely destroyed. But such is a price of freedom...after reorganization of troops Kościuszko and Poniatowski moved west to reclaim western part of Poland, lost during last thirty years. And there was no one who could at least slow their advance - once mighty and proud, most modern and best commanded Prussian army had fallen. Few remaining regiments and formed by aristocrat and pro-monarchists volunteer Freikorps were desperately trying to purge Prussian Revolution. On October Tadeusz Kościuszko's army crossed border of Silesia. Vast and rich region, lost by Poland during age of feudal fragmentation (1187-1320) was since 12th Century a mosaic of independent and semi-independent states, slowly vassalized and incorporated by Bohemian kings. In 14th Century Silesia had been lost for good - it was added to Holy Roman Empire and technically became part of Bohemia. Petty dukes, often descendents of Piasts, first Polish royal dynasty, adopted German language, often also Lutheranism and so Silesia became fully German, at least among the nobility and part of middle class. More than half of Silesians retained their Slavic traditions, language and allegiance to Roman Catholic Church. Kościuszko decided to attempt to recover long time lost province for Poland. Although German ruling class could be a problem, Kościuszko believed that their loyality can be gained same way as in lost during first partition Gdańsk, by simply allowing Germans to keep their laws, customs and privileges. Germans in Gdańsk probably didn't feel that bad as Polish citizens if they were defending Gdańsk against Swedes during Deluge...

Just when Poles crossed Prussian border, Kaiser Franz was desperate enough to stop fighting with mad French. In exchange for Austrian Netherlands and Italy French agreed to let Kaiser go. And Kaiser let go all of his western possessions, even Corfu (!) was transferred to French. How desperate Franz was to give away even small island near Greece only to sign peace? War of the First Coallition has ended, but French certainly weren't intending to stop there...

Polish penetration of western border was fully succesful. Eastern (or Opolian) Silesians agreed to join forces with Poland. Also lands lost in 1792 were taken back. Prussians were still holding their fortresses - but also they were very afraid of leaving them. In 1798 Kościuszko and Poniatowski returned to Poland again. Troops were extremely exhausted and they had to rest. Also Triumvirate had to come up with new war plan. For a first time it wasn't going to be a defensive one...

cifvv8j.jpg

While Poles were preparing to rest during upcoming winter and enter Prussia next year, news from the southern border reached Warsaw. Yet another Austrian army estimated to be twenty thousand people strong and fighting revolutionaries in Austria left southern Poland. Poles were freely roaming and eliminating Austrian agitators and administrators - same as in Lwów area. But why would Austrian army leave Polish border now? Revolution from Prussia spread to Austria too. Hungarian and Czech nobility were preparing to rise against Kaiser - he needed all soldiers here and now to prevent them from rebellion!

But there was something more.

A few days after those news French ambassador in Warsaw approached Kościuszko. "La Directoire knows what is going on in Eastern Europe and considers it to be the best chance to strike again." But they just signed peace, like a few months ago in Campo Fiorno right?

Right. But La Directoire, Revolution, Marianne and Mad Corsican, all of them are restless. And they demand blood. Even more.

French quickly figured out that now there might be a chance to eliminate Holy Roman Empire once and for all. Republican revolution in Switzerland, aided by French Republic, ignited the war again. Austria and Prussia formally supported Swiss Confederation, and La Directoire was just waiting for such casus belli.

But it was the Mad Corsican who attacked first. He bombed La Valetta and in act of insanity invaded Egypt against all odds. That was enough. War of Second Coallition broke out on 9th December of 1798.

Could it be any better for Poles?

zXql3w8.jpg

Fin.

________

Dutch visited me, yaay. They could bring some stuff at least and not burn my provinces :(

Yeah, now there's no doubt who will win this conflict. That was one hella mad conflict. But there's more to it! Two more episodes.

And one to sum up.

And new chapter, woot woot!

Ober

Last edited:
UmSYcR0.png

Episode VI - A New Tannenberg

Last Austrian regiments send in December of 1798 to interrupt Polish preparations for upcoming offensive were beaten harshly and thus last, grinded down from eleven to three thousands Austrian army retreated from Poland. Rest of soldiers returned to Italy, and thrown against French demons were cursing the day first Habsburg had been born. Stubborn Kaiser accepted another French challenge, but this time he is going to pay full price for his lack of vision...

War of Second Coalition in Italy and collapse of Prussian Army ensured Polish victory. In 1799 Kościuszko intended to enter Prussia and reclaim as much lost territory as possible, but also to deal deadly blow to Prussian Kingdom - to make sure Honehzollern's state will never rise from the ashes. Victory of Polish uprising was tragic news for Polish magnates who allied with foreigns powers. Until now they could do all they want - exploit serfs to death, sell their Sejm votes and pay no taxes. Such state in a state, long-term effect of Polish king's policy of appeasing nobility, was coming to an end. And magnates knew it, so at once they decided to act by rising their levies and fighting against Triumvirate. Their desperate attempts had no chance to succeed - peasants were freely leaving their opressors and joining army's support units.

But once war will end, they will return to their former lords, to take what belongs to them...

6afYnEe.jpg

Prussian could not put much resistance against Polish offensive and territories taken in first partition (without Pomerelia) were liberated. In November of 1799 magnates in Małopolska made their last stand - successful for a while, but Poniatowski eradicated them soon. In April of 1800 Triumvirate decided to help rebels in southern Poland and liberate it from Austrians. Operation went smoothly and not even one of Kaiser's men opposed Poles. Some advocated to enter Lwów now, but Kościuszko disagreed - future of Poland lies in West. Polish armies returned to Prussia with two goals in mind - Danzig (Gdańsk!) and Upper Silesia. First one was Polish for a very long time and Triumvirate could count on local people. Second - although lost in 14th Century still had a vast amount of Poles and people of Polish origin. Now it was time for the best European army to make last stand against Polish rebellion. On 27th August of 1800 both armies met near Tczew, next to Wisła river. Demoralized Prussians suffered massive defeat, with casualties reaching 70%. Poles also lost many brave soldiers, but such is a price of victory.

Crushing Victory.

Routed Prussians retreated to Danzig, which still was in Prussian hands. On 28th April it surrendered and Prussian remnants - via Royal Navy - retreated back to Germany.

There is no hope.

CwTnN35.jpg

Polish counteroffensive lost its pace soon after capture of Danzig, mostly because...there were no enemies. Kościuszko was satisfied and tried to negotiate with Prussians, but they still were refusing, counting on Great Britain's aid. But is Great Britain really interested in Poland? It has some common interests with Prussia of course, but Poland...well, three modern armies failed to conquer it so yeah, there won't be any help really! At least Brits were clever enough to not send their Redcoats to certain death. Their aid was consisting on Royal Navy blocking path between Sweden and Vorpommern. Soon, seeing that there's no point in continuing war, Swedes signed white peace with Coalition.

They played role Kościuszko designated for them. Prussian generals were not able to respond to war on three fronts.
Excellent job guys, see you next time.

So now it was Poland, with wrecked economy and casualties reaching two hundred thousands soldiers and civils, being constantly in state of war since 1792, against Prussia and Austria.

Against Prussia, which King is unable to make any decisions and hides in deepest chamber of his old castle, scared of revolutionists patroling the streets.

Against Austria, which sends its last regiments to halt French invasion, leaving behind raging Hungarians and Czechs, not being bothered with their recent actions like killing German officials and refusing to pay war taxes.

So now it was Poland, fighting against no one.

oguM5Yj.jpg

How far can Polish Hell go?

Fin.

I'd be done with Prussia already, but provinces in peace deals cost so much now...well, it's good in fact, I like it dat way, if they were slighty cheaper I'd win now :(

I wasn't writing for a few days because Internet issues. So now, two more episodes to go and we're at new chaptah! Gut ja!

@Nein

Feel like events didn't do its thing. Well, Britaniangians ain't no match for EMPIRE FRANCAIS!

@KiF

War started in 1792, so of course Constitution is on. That's why bad guys entered Poland in 1792 ;)

All I have to say is...

Rebels. Rebels everywhere.

If provinces are actually very expensive, then both Silesia AND Danzig (sorry :p) seem to be wild dreams for now, as you lost a few other ones.

UmSYcR0.png

Episode VII - Hearts of Iron

Peril of Coalition continued as French in West and Poles, Hungarians and Bohemians in the east were dealing blow after blow to fading reactionaries. On 27th November Kościuszko destroyed last Prussian army in the east. That army, quickly formed out of forced conscripts and voluntary Freikorps had fallen quickly too. Polish soldiers and commanders, who hardened and learned about modern battlefields were no longer underdogs. A mighty Prussia was brought to its knees by Poles themselves. Since then Germans could offer no resistance, but Poles couldn't reinforce their army with new soldiers. Kościuszko, aware of fact that war is coming to an end was thinking about post-war reality. As Polish citizens and economy were also on brink of collapse, Kościuszko allowed citizens to slowly return to peacetime routine and prepare groundwork for economical revival. And so small, counting barely twenty thousands Polish army consisting of veterans and professional officers remained - no more were needed for a few more tasks remaining, in fact only two of them. One - push Prussians even more by capturing cities and aiding rebels and thus force them to sign peace. And two - intervene in the south. Habsburg Empire, carefully crafted since 13th Century by marriages and political intrigues, which was once encroaching whole Earth, finally exploded. In Bohemia, Czechs proclaimed Czech Republic, although Austrians still controlled Morava and Prague. In Hungary two enemies - Houses of Rakoczy and Gobert - took power. Rakoczy had claimed crown of Hungary after beating Gobert near Koloszvar. Then Gobert retreated to his home in Transylvania and created Transylvanian Kingdom. Also Hungarian noble, Joseph von Urmenyi, formed small Galician Duchy in Lwów. As he refused to submit to Triumvirate, expedition to Lwów was sent shortly.

Habsburg Empire passed away aged 531.
Rest in peace and please never come back again.

tjepg3K.jpg

Before Polish expedition besieged Lwów it destroyed several outnumbered Freikorps and captured Oels (Oleśnica) in December 1802. Although Friedrich was ready to negotiate with Poles, agreement still needed to come to fruition. British influence, or rather a big navy stationed in Baltic Sea was ready to bomb Danzig if Poles would be to make move west or demand too much from Prussians. Uneasy negotiations continued and only British presence saved Prussia from complete collapse. Both sides signed ceasefire, although it wasn't easy one. Friedrich with British aid tried to gather another army and destroy Poles once and for all, while Poles hoped to exhaust Prussia and let revolutionaries claim Berlin. Ceasefire was broken and renewed a few times but those were not a big battles, just a local clashes. On 28th September of 1803 von Urmenyi fleed to Russia and Kościuszko claimed Lwów, thus taking back all territories lost to Austria during partitions.

And still no peace in West...

P04icdq.jpg

Around summer of 1804 things got moving. Rebellions encroached Berlin area again and Friedrich started panicking. In November of 1804 he finally agreed to come to Warsaw and negotiate peace terms. Friedrich, British ambassador (seemed like he was ruler of Prussia at the time, same as Repnin in Poland used to) and a few more officials marched through Warsaw to Wilanów Palace, former residence of King, known as Polish Versailles. Here, broken and desperated Friedrich surrendered to Poles. Although Danzig and Pomerelia couldn't be acquired (British threats) Poland regained most of territories lost during partitions but also was given Upper Silesia, which - same as Lower Silesia - had not been Polish 14th Century. Vast Polish peasantry in area could celebrate, but German ruling class wasn't happy about it. But Kościuszko had his own plan for them.

This way, on 16th November of 1804, after twelve years of disastrous war which encroached whole Central Europe and resulted in destruction of Habsburg Empire and Prussian Kingdom and also vast humilliation of Russians Polish independence has been secured. None could deny that, thou British reactionary dogs still had their navy in Baltic, making sure Poles won't return back to sea.

Those dogs are going to pay for that.

Soon.

pMG4r4A.jpg

Fin.

So one episode in this chapter remains. Now we gotta deal with this mess - war is over, but what next? What's going to happen to Poland?

Your bets ladies (well, none are actually here) and gentlepeople?

@Nein

Well, you see how it is now. Good thing I can always come with more or less convoluted explanations.

Rebels, well...that's what they get for fighting with me for twelve years.

One does not fight with Miura the Demon for twelve years.

Last edited: