• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Gball

Bismarck did nothing wrong
75 Badges
Aug 11, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
I play as the Dutch republic and I keep seeing events asking me if I want to up or down mercantilism. I have NO idea what mercantilism is or where I can see it. Can somebody explain it to me?

The eu4 wiki seems to say it modifies the strength of your provincial goods in trade nodes. I suspect the higher the mercantilism, the stronger trade power that province provides to the node.

The eu4 wiki seems to say it modifies the strength of your provincial goods in trade nodes. I suspect the higher the mercantilism, the stronger trade power that province provides to the node.

Hm, and there is no way to see what level of mercantilism you have?

So if it increases the strength of your trade power, you'd always want it up, right?

The Triggered modifier, East India Trade Company, requires < 30% mercantalism. And since that modifier gives +20% trade efficieny (might be income) you don't necessarily always want it since it only adds power not value. If you are like England and completely own your entire node you don't necessarily need it.

if your merchantalismn reaches 0 you cease being a republik i think

I play as the Dutch republic and I keep seeing events asking me if I want to up or down mercantilism. I have NO idea what mercantilism is or where I can see it. Can somebody explain it to me?
Definition of 'Mercantilism'
The main economic system used during the sixteenth to eighteenth centuries. The main goal was to increase a nation's wealth by imposing government regulation concerning all of the nation's commercial interests. It was believed that national strength could be maximized by limiting imports via tariffs and maximizing exports.

This approach assumes the wealth of a nation depends primarily on the possession of precious metals such as gold and silver. This type of system cannot be maintained forever, because the global economy would become stagnant if every country wanted to export and no one wanted to import. After a period of time, many people began to revolt against the idea of mercantilism and stressed the need for free trade. The continued pressure resulted in the implementation of laissez faire economics in the nineteenth century.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/mercantilism.asp

Republics in this game is centerd alot around Trde and Mercantalismn represents that.

Republics in this game is centerd alot around Trde and Mercantalismn represents that.
No they are not. Merchant Republics are, for a reason that should be painfully obvious. Even they were focused heavily on free trade. And I'm guessing you were probably thinking about Republican Tradition anyway.

So, when do I want it up and when do I want it down?

The Triggered modifier, East India Trade Company, requires < 30% mercantalism. And since that modifier gives +20% trade efficieny (might be income) you don't necessarily always want it since it only adds power not value. If you are like England and completely own your entire node you don't necessarily need it.

It's actually "Discovered the India trade route" modifier, and I don't understand why it requires low mercantilism. Didn't that same modifier require HIGH mercantilism in EU III? Or I remember wrong?

I think this is one of those things that was better on a slider. I kind of miss the sliders honestly. Correction: I miss SOME of the sliders; others didn't make much sense.

Reactions:
The issue is that the mercantilism mechanic and detailed ins and outs isnt explained at all in EU4 while in EU3 it was very obvious what the slider did. Im still wondering if your merchants in EU4 perform better abroad if you have less mercantilism , just like the EU3 mechanic.