+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is mercantilism?

What is mercantilism?

I play as the Dutch republic and I keep seeing events asking me if I want to up or down mercantilism. I have NO idea what mercantilism is or where I can see it. Can somebody explain it to me?

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourMagickaSemper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The eu4 wiki seems to say it modifies the strength of your provincial goods in trade nodes. I suspect the higher the mercantilism, the stronger trade power that province provides to the node.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBooby View Post
    The eu4 wiki seems to say it modifies the strength of your provincial goods in trade nodes. I suspect the higher the mercantilism, the stronger trade power that province provides to the node.
    Hm, and there is no way to see what level of mercantilism you have?

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourMagickaSemper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club

I believe it is in the trade tab. Shown as a percent. Let me double check.

EDIT: That is correct. I've make a picture showing the trade tab and a province's good.

http://i.imgur.com/WlrF1k0.jpg
    Last edited by BlueBooby; 16-08-2013 at 03:56.

Thanks!

Your Friendly Dictator Grubnessul's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

Banished to the 8th circle of Hell after mentioning rule 34 to Canonized
    So if it increases the strength of your trade power, you'd always want it up, right?
    "History is form of cybersex!"
    EvilSanta
    "Please, call me Grubby"
    - General Schenkhuizen, Timeslines: What if Spain failed to control the world?
    There might be Vikings out there! Or: How I accidentally traded my wife for a halibut (pining for the Fjords since I lost my USB and the save game)

Patriotism leads to nationalism, nationalism leads to racism, racism leads to suffering...

Quote Originally Posted by Grubnessul View Post
    So if it increases the strength of your trade power, you'd always want it up, right?
    Well, yes. However, most of the events hurt your economy in turn for raising mercantilism, so it's still a tradeoff.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesSengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessWar of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The Triggered modifier, East India Trade Company, requires < 30% mercantalism. And since that modifier gives +20% trade efficieny (might be income) you don't necessarily always want it since it only adds power not value. If you are like England and completely own your entire node you don't necessarily need it.
    Full fail ahead!
    "Whoa, What happened here!?"

EU3 CompleteMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight

I also read something about keeping it below 20%. Is that just misinformation or is there another thing for 20%?

Lead and GoldMarch of the EaglesSword of the Stars IIMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

if your merchantalismn reaches 0 you cease being a republik i think
    Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, Don't mess with the HRE they will Crush you!

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by Wardok View Post
    What does mercantilism have to do with a republican government?

Quote Originally Posted by Gball View Post
    I play as the Dutch republic and I keep seeing events asking me if I want to up or down mercantilism. I have NO idea what mercantilism is or where I can see it. Can somebody explain it to me?
    Definition of 'Mercantilism'
    The main economic system used during the sixteenth to eighteenth centuries. The main goal was to increase a nation's wealth by imposing government regulation concerning all of the nation's commercial interests. It was believed that national strength could be maximized by limiting imports via tariffs and maximizing exports.

This approach assumes the wealth of a nation depends primarily on the possession of precious metals such as gold and silver. This type of system cannot be maintained forever, because the global economy would become stagnant if every country wanted to export and no one wanted to import. After a period of time, many people began to revolt against the idea of mercantilism and stressed the need for free trade. The continued pressure resulted in the implementation of laissez faire economics in the nineteenth century.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/mercantilism.asp

Lead and GoldMarch of the EaglesSword of the Stars IIMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Republics in this game is centerd alot around Trde and Mercantalismn represents that.
    Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, Don't mess with the HRE they will Crush you!

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Republics in this game is centerd alot around Trde and Mercantalismn represents that.
    No they are not. Merchant Republics are, for a reason that should be painfully obvious. Even they were focused heavily on free trade. And I'm guessing you were probably thinking about Republican Tradition anyway.

EU3 CompleteMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight

What you mean is "republican tradition", which is what republics have instead of legitimacy.

Your Friendly Dictator Grubnessul's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

Banished to the 8th circle of Hell after mentioning rule 34 to Canonized
    So, when do I want it up and when do I want it down?
    "History is form of cybersex!"
    EvilSanta
    "Please, call me Grubby"
    - General Schenkhuizen, Timeslines: What if Spain failed to control the world?
    There might be Vikings out there! Or: How I accidentally traded my wife for a halibut (pining for the Fjords since I lost my USB and the save game)

Patriotism leads to nationalism, nationalism leads to racism, racism leads to suffering...

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIDungeonlandEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    Penumbra - Black PlagueSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldThe Showdown EffectWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jecjackal View Post
    The Triggered modifier, East India Trade Company, requires < 30% mercantalism. And since that modifier gives +20% trade efficieny (might be income) you don't necessarily always want it since it only adds power not value. If you are like England and completely own your entire node you don't necessarily need it.
    It's actually "Discovered the India trade route" modifier, and I don't understand why it requires low mercantilism. Didn't that same modifier require HIGH mercantilism in EU III? Or I remember wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Grubnessul View Post
    So, when do I want it up and when do I want it down?
    If you have a lot of landtrade routes over your own provinces mercantilism probably helps you, unless you have a monopoly in these nodes then it does nothing. Also a home trade node with fierce competition could benefit from mercantilism.
    The momentum of attack is more important than the size of your weapon

Anyone had negative merchantilism? What are the effects then?

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    March of the EaglesSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I think this is one of those things that was better on a slider. I kind of miss the sliders honestly. Correction: I miss SOME of the sliders; others didn't make much sense.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast