• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

dave1927p

First Lieutenant
24 Badges
Mar 4, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
So bought off gamersgate and I've spent 45 minutes trying to get this game installed. I'm just about ready to give up on this. Patience is running thin and I already hate the fact that i'm forced to use steam.

Went to check out FAQ and can't even view it as I haven't registered because I haven't been able to install the game.

Can someone please confirm I am doing this correctly?

Games, Activate a product on steam, punch in code. I've done that and all I get is Steam server is unavailable. Tried it multiple times.

If steam has proven one thing to me over the years, is that it's great for buying games but has screwed me over plenty of times when it comes to actually playing the game.

Appreciate any assistance.

You will need to contact Steam support, sorry, we can't help with their server problems.

To answer your question, yes you are doing it right. I can only guess their servers are overwhelmed with demand for EU4. For the record it worked for me with no issue at all, but my timezone probably means their servers were less busy when I tried.

Thanks guys for the replies. So guess i'm doing it correctly and it's just steam issue. I was hoping it was a user issue.

Thank you paradox for forcing us all on steam. (this 'thank-you' is reeking of sarcasm)

My love affair with Steam continues...

Are you sure it's supposed to be possible to activate a gamersgate key on Steam? Did you check your library in Steam to make sure it didn't already activate? Steam servers all seem to be up. I own about 300 games on Steam, I have no problems even with mods and custom tweaks. I have activated humble bundle games on Steam through that method but never a GG game. Make sure that the key you are using is for that intended purpose.

Yeah, sometimes Steam's servers get a little temperamental during peak hours. It appears that you followed the procedure correctly. As advised above, you should contact Steam's support team for additional assistance.

I agree, the fact we have to use the hated thing is probably the biggest disapointment with paradox, yet. For me it was 50/50 whether to buy the game or not. The tradition prevailed but wont last if I am forced to do this again. Neadless to say, the game is slow and unpleasant to play with the sh.t in the background.

I agree, the fact we have to use the hated thing is probably the biggest disapointment with paradox, yet. For me it was 50/50 whether to buy the game or not. The tradition prevailed but wont last if I am forced to do this again. Neadless to say, the game is slow and unpleasant to play with the sh.t in the background.

Get a new computer lol.
My computer is 5 years old and has no problems..

It's very unlikely that Steam is the cause for your slow down.

Thanks guys for the replies. So guess i'm doing it correctly and it's just steam issue. I was hoping it was a user issue.

Thank you paradox for forcing us all on steam. (this 'thank-you' is reeking of sarcasm)

My love affair with Steam continues...
Anyone can have server problems. GamersGate's servers caused us terrible problems in the early CK2 days, when the in-game store couldn't contact them and stopped it loading DLCs that'd had already been bought and installed!

Anyone can have server problems. GamersGate's servers caused us terrible problems in the early CK2 days, when the in-game store couldn't contact them and stopped it loading DLCs that'd had already been bought and installed!

yes, that is no doubt true...but the only difference is that no other has affected me like steam has over the years. Ultimately I've found the support I received from Gamersgate far superior than the lack thereof from Steam.

well I deleted all in my steam file except for userdata, the exe file and relaunched it. Then it reinstalled and now it's working in case anyone in the future has the same issue.

Too bad I figured it out too late, now it's time to go to sleep :mad:

I too am having troubles even getting a code to register. I bought directly from shop.paradoxplaza.com thinking of course that would be the best way. The order said there would be an email to follow with the activation code, but 1 week later I still have no email from paradox with the code(s) (pre-order + extreme edition). All I have is a print screen from the shop site with an order number and a charge on my mastercard. I sent an email to webshop@paradoxplaza.com with no reply. There does not seem to be any place that I can enter this order number to get any status on actually getting the game(s) I ordered and no obvious place to turn. Anxiously wait to play....

Try this. Go to steam settings -> Download tab.
See what you have in download region and other settings. Maybe the server you tried to get the game broke?
I got some games from steam not long before EU4 release so at least Europe Region works XD

Any idea when to expect steam sale for EU4 also are there any performance mods already being worked on (really desperate)?

Once it's installed you CAN run the game outside of steam, so if you don't want the overlay/whatever.

Hope your issue gets fixed soon.

How do you do this?
Two ways. Either copy-paste the entire Europa Universalis IV folder from "steam/steamapps/common" directory, make a shortcut for eu4.exe, and run it through that (but that might take a while to copy the entire game).

The alternative is to run the exe directly in the steamapps/common folder. The second one doesn't work for certain games, though, as I remember doing that once for another game and it still had the overlay enabled.