• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Look what you made happen!

Sadly, this was a failed run. Couldn't get out of debt... but by so little. I think this approach can work and I intend to keep trying.

Just read through the whole thing in the past hour and a half; glad I did!

Reactions:
I don't know if you know this already, but your relations with your vassals only matter when you send the diplomat to annex them. If you have the diplomats to spare, you can send a diplomat to annex one vassal right before another vassal is fully annexed to avoid the relation penalty from causing a problem. But seeing as you're so amazing at this game, you probably already knew that. :)

Yes, a handy little trick that.

I would suggest you continue attacking local powers and ripping them apart and keeping their towns burnt to ground before finally entering the End Wars era. :p

Also, do you think you shall have enough diplomatic power in the end for many fast wars with lot of provinces being annexed?

Yes I do. Annexation only costs 21DIP, and for some reason, certain CBs make it free. I've never had Overseas Expansion cost me DIP on annexing Asian countries. Not once! It even says it costs the full amount but it really doesn't. This is good because I have that CB on all of Asia.

So you got a +60 relation (probably on one of the many ingame reloads - on my pc it hangs out, doesn't finish, seems a little bugged) event that somehow transformed in to a bug that gives +200 relations to everyone in the world?

It doesn't end there. Not I have "His Holiness is shocked!" and another nasty event popping up on every single reload. After the sound bug and the trade merchants resetting, I hope this is one of the bugs they fix in the upcoming patch.

It appears as if you have taken my virginity, popped my cherry. Take it as it comes, Jake.

I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm glad I could be the one to bring you out of voyeurism and into the action, if only for this one time.

Is republican tradition going to be a problem for you at all?

Yes and no. As long as it doesn't hit 0 it's not a problem, and I'm not annexing vassals fast enough for that. there is an event which fired (MTTH: 120 months) which gives you +20 tradition in exchange for 1 stability. It can fire whenever you have below 50 tradition, giving birth to the strategy that, if you don't mind less revolt-risk reductions and higher stability cost, you can just keep re-electing and have god-tier leaders all game.

But DIP is the only monarch point I need much of so I've (almost) always just chose 1/4/1 leaders with infrequent re-elections.

Is 50 years really enough to blitz the rest of the world?

Yes, I have a few ideas on how to minimise my problems. Overextension is unavoidable at this late stage, but I don't have to spend all 50 years in OE Hell.

Can we get a recap post on "dark magic".

Over the top of my head I can remember the exiles, what what else was there?

There's just a little more to go, I'll do a recap later, or someone else who is so inclined can. I should also pretty-up the opening post so that readers can navigate this pigs-much of an AAR

Look what you made happen!

-snip-

Sadly, this was a failed run. Couldn't get out of debt... but by so little. I think this approach can work and I intend to keep trying.

Good luck! There are more (and probably better!!) ways than my own to attempt climbing the three mountains. I reckon a very fast westernisation, Christianification and going on a PU-spree would be advantageous, but the kink in the plan is that there are no second chances in an Ironman run!

Just read through the whole thing in the past hour and a half; glad I did!

Hey, thanks for joining us.

But I don't understand what you did at the very beginning? I'd just look at the screen without any idea what to do :p

Ah...

The exploit that made it all possible. I'm not even calling this a rulebook extension, this is dev oversight and mechanics manipulation on a disgusting scale and anybody using it should feel awful. Thankfully, when climbing mountains as rugged as these, I'm prepared to get my hands dirty.

This is the bastard child of all the previous exploits. For starters, I needed money. Every nation needs money and Ryukyu has the good fortune of having Ming's trade node all to themselves, for as long as Ming fails to control their own faction system. Ryukyu makes 7 - 8 ducats per month on game start.

They are also completely isolated, so they do not get many options for missions. On one of my many thinking sessions I recruited some troops and took the "accumulate money" mission. Here it is for those who read Paradox code.

Code:
get_minor_cash_reserve = {

type = country

category = ADM

allow = {
		NOT = { years_of_income = 0.5 }
		NOT = { num_of_loans = 1 }
	}
	abort = {
		num_of_loans = 1
	}
	success = {
		years_of_income = 1.0
	}
	chance = {
		factor = 1000
	}
	effect = {
		add_years_of_income = 0.25
	}	
}

If you have less than half a year's income and no loans, this mission can trigger. As soon as you have a year's worth of income, you are rewarded with 3 months' of income. For our little 1444 Ryukyu, that's about twenty something ducats per completion. But wait, Ryukyu doesn't -have- many other missions and there is nothing to prevent this mission firing again. If we pause, recruit some boats, take the mission, cancel the boats then let one single day tick by, we can chain this mission endlessly.

But that's no good! it'll take forever to get any serious amount of money this way.

But what if paradox were absolutely bonkers enough to make other things count towards "years_of_income"

Ridiculous things like...war reparations

...and sold provinces income

...and LOOTING

And that, is what kills the Ming.

With my vassals being brought into the fold I begin the conquest of Japan. With my capital in Europe, these lands will not count towards overextension, due to them being Japanese in culture. As a nice bonus, all those rebels made them Catholic for me too.

50LbQZKh.jpg

hI9Gzo8h.jpg

I don't want Japan in the coalition. What is more, they are about 300% cost to annex, so I release some minors with the overseas conquest CB then declare wars on each of them, before declaring on Japan again once truce ran out. A laughably easy conquest, the only troops I actually saw wiped were 2,000 infantry who were on a province where 25k rebels popped up.

qZIzzf9h.jpg

I never thought I'd see the day, France has finally forgiven me for those...horrible things I did to her, and even wants an alliance. Shame.

djRKL5ph.jpg

That defeat rebels mission, after decades years of not showing up, has started to appear again, several times. I let it top me back up on stability for the easy task of defeating these Japanese rebs. Most of my land now has less than 0% revolt risk. The only revolts come from provinces which have ~3% nationalism from previous successful rebels.

After one last freely conceded battle against the HRE...

xOpgWG8h.jpg

IT'S HABBENING!

yGCtRnbh.jpg

I get my finances in order, sort out the armies and navies I inherited, and prepare for the inevitable.​

Last edited:
I'm really surprised that there isn't something like a generic mission cooldown that simply makes it impossible to get an event within let's say a year of previously completing it. Didn't this happen in EU3?

I'm really surprised that there isn't something like a generic mission cooldown that simply makes it impossible to get an event within let's say a year of previously completing it. Didn't this happen in EU3?

The funny thing, some missions DO have a cooldown timer, paradox probably didn't count on people building/canceling troops/boats to get the event to trigger, and they certainly did not count on it being compounded with things like looting.

Jake also forgot one semi-important black magic related to endless stability/endless money:
A third mission, 'Recover our Manpower', will trigger if you have less than 50% of your manpower cap. You can just build several troops once you have enough money, then cancel them the next day, in the same way as the 'Accumulate Money' trick.

The reward for this mission is +10 Army Tradition and +5 Prestige. The morale you gain from both prestige and Army Trad. was very helpful in killing those Europeans early on, and having a great military leader is nothing to scoff at either.

And that's it for black mission magic, we probably spent an entire day reading through all the mission files looking for other repeatable missions, but none were found.

Good luck! There are more (and probably better!!) ways than my own to attempt climbing the three mountains. I reckon a very fast westernisation, Christianification and going on a PU-spree would be advantageous, but the kink in the plan is that there are no second chances in an Ironman run!

Sure there are! You just start over from farther back. I think I'm about to start my 9th try or something, with all kinds of different strategies tried.

But you, you're doing it. On what, your second try? Let met tell you, your posts made it look easier that it is. I just kinda wish I had dates on them to compare my own progress. I think at the pinnacle of luck in a game my opener could be shortened by another 15 years or so, but it requires a level of luck I'm not sure I can really hope to have.

Wow. I just... wow. That world map. It's beautiful.

I'm curious why you manipulated the HRE into forming. Wouldn't it have been easier to win a bunch of rofl-stomping wars against the bitty client states, rather than many repeated wars against the big grey blob? Or is this to make sure that they can't all join a coalition as separate states?

I'm curious why you manipulated the HRE into forming. Wouldn't it have been easier to win a bunch of rofl-stomping wars against the bitty client states, rather than many repeated wars against the big grey blob? Or is this to make sure that they can't all join a coalition as separate states?

It is brutal having to deal with the HRE seperated and with coalitions. Either he faces 3 stab hit every time he wants to wage war against a little shit minor or he lets them form. You also cant wage separate wars with HRE members while already at war with the emperor. It's very annoying.

Now that is one grand picture!

Will you do a few more vassalizations, or is it now game on? :p

No more vassals. Being at war and high Overextension kill vassal integration, and I'm about to be balls-deep in both.

Good question. There are several answers:

1. Diplomats. Declaring war on all those minors will take loads of 'em
2. Time. 1-month cooldown between waging war means it'll take bloody ages.
3. I'm about to get +1,000AE with just about every nation on earth. I need to limit the damage coalitions will do. I don't want to break truce any more times than I need to to desync coalitions, because when at war, the rebels mission does not fire and I don't think I'm going to be able to be rebel-free for much longer. At about 300 ADM to raise stability without adding Overextension to the mix, stability is going to be hard to maintain.
4. I can take a gorillian provinces from the HRE in a single war
5. Cologne is a monarchy. My god-tier Revolution CB will work on them. A lot of HRE minors had become republics who my CB is useless against.
6. Who doesn't love a good boss fight?

A reminder that there is a bug with overly large treasuries (I forget the exact number, but I believe around 1.2 mil) that will turn your positive income into a huge negative income, which will trigger a hilarious number of loans and lots of other potential problems. Once perma-war starts I suppose your income will drop down a bunch, but it's worth keeping an eye out.

Just like I was expecting(I figured this out week ago):p
I had even better start with, westernization + catolic faith in 1490, then I got "Western Trade" debuff, making my 4 missionaries completly useless...

That is quick. What succession of moves did you use?

And yeah, if you want to be able to convert provinces you're going have to seriously stack missionary strength. If you take religious ideas and add a ton of decisions (De Heretico Comburendo Act, Blasphemy Act, Act of Uniformity, Sunday School, Conventicle Act, Join the Counter Reformation, Witchcraft Act), the bonuses will add up to 12. Factor in the base value of 2 and the penalty of 5 and you're at 9
Some of those decisions have negative side effects. The total penalties will be -2 heretic tolerance, +1 revolt risk, -10% relations over time, +5% tech cost and +5% idea cost.

A reminder that there is a bug with overly large treasuries (I forget the exact number, but I believe around 1.2 mil) that will turn your positive income into a huge negative income, which will trigger a hilarious number of loans and lots of other potential problems. Once perma-war starts I suppose your income will drop down a bunch, but it's worth keeping an eye out.

That isn't a bug, it's an overflow error, gold is stored in a 32-bit binary number, so when it hits 1x32, it overflows to -1x32