• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jorlem

Field Marshal
118 Badges
May 9, 2012
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Prison Architect
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • War of the Roses
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Dungeonland
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Darkest Hour
  • Ancient Space
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
The 1.11 patch added a new trait, Siege Leader, to the game. Unfortunately, the new trait was placed in the middle of the lists of traits, so to speak. This bumped up the numbers for all the traits after it, which means that any saves made with earlier patches will have the wrong traits on characters.

This mini-mod moves the Siege Leader trait to the end of the 02_traits.txt file, instead of the 00_traits.txt file, so older saves will work properly, with characters possessing the proper traits.

View attachment v_1_11+ trait fix for old saves.zip

Obviously, this won't be compatible with other mods that change traits.

They won't. Too incompetent to even add a trait to the end of the traits list. How do you expect them to fix bugs?
Don't be a douche. It's a small error to make, and paradox do try to improve their Q&A. Wait at least a day before condemning them. Hell, now that I know what caused it, I can fix it myself.

Don't be a douche. It's a small error to make, and paradox do try to improve their Q&A. Wait at least a day before condemning them. Hell, now that I know what caused it, I can fix it myself.
Wait a day? Why? They said they're not gonna hotfix it. And fixing it yourself will require you to make a mod that will break next time they add a new trait or if you install another trait mod.

Wait a day? Why? They said they're not gonna hotfix it. And fixing it yourself will require you to make a mod that will break next time they add a new trait or if you install another trait mod.
Where have they said that? Link please. As for fixing it, I'm just going into my CK2 folder and change the files myself. No mod required (though the mod was helpful in pointing me to the right files).

edit: I still want to thank you, Jorlem, for figuring out the problem. Your mod was very helpful.

Last edited:
Where have they said that? Link please. As for fixing it, I'm just going into my CK2 folder and change the files myself. No mod required (though the mod was helpful in pointing me to the right files).
By changing files, you're modifying the game *facepalm*. Your modifications will be reverted next patch. And look at the 1.1 Save thread in CK2 main forums, I think it was Doomdark that said it.

They said they won't fix it in the patch thread. Not surprising from a company that left a CTD in the game for about 4 months because they didn't want to release a patch before the Old Gods.

Found the comment. Yeah, they should hotfix it, but honestly, it's like 10 seconds work. I can't find the energy to get worked up about this.

They said they won't fix it in the patch thread. Not surprising from a company that left a CTD in the game for about 4 months because they didn't want to release a patch before the Old Gods.
Most companies patch to fix bugs. Paradox patches to make their new DLC work with the game properly and squeezes one or two minor bug fixes in while leaving all the important bugs alone because they might take more than 5 mins to fix.

Well what do you want them to do? If they don't fix it, then the save files that started before this patch came out have traits messed up. If they do fix it with a new patch, then the saves that started After the patch came out will be messed up. Either way, they break things, and people get annoyed.

I believe the term is "catch 22".

By changing files, you're modifying the game *facepalm*. Your modifications will be reverted next patch. And look at the 1.1 Save thread in CK2 main forums, I think it was Doomdark that said it.

To finish old saves, move the trait 'siege_leader' from 00_traits.txt to be last in 02_traits.txt instead. These files are in the common\traits folder. Note that this will affect your checksum, so make backups of the files.

:p my actions got official green light from Doomdark. Next patch, I'll see what I do. Either I re-edit the file if I got a save that I desperately want to keep, or if I don't care about any saved games in progress I'll just bite the bullet.

It's not the end of the world, guys.

Well what do you want them to do? If they don't fix it, then the save files that started before this patch came out have traits messed up. If they do fix it with a new patch, then the saves that started After the patch came out will be messed up. Either way, they break things, and people get annoyed.

I believe the term is "catch 22".

:p my actions got official green light from Doomdark. Next patch, I'll see what I do. Either I re-edit the file if I got a save that I desperately want to keep, or if I don't care about any saved games in progress I'll just bite the bullet.

It's not the end of the world, guys.
There are way less saves with 1.1 than 1.03 at the moment. And if they fixed it as soon as it was reported, then hardly anyone would have even made 1.1 saves.

I'm having a very fun 1.11 game right now, if they 'fix' this...

I vote no. They've never promised cross-patch compatibility, and since they've already messed things up, better to just go forward.

Nicely done, thank you! And now I have to confess being stupid: how do I actually install/use this mod? :p

Can get the mod visible on the launcher but it doesn't do anything in the game. Am I really this tired and/or inept?

EDIT: nevermind, cracked it :D

Last edited:
Nicely done, thank you! And now I have to confess being stupid: how do I actually install/use this mod? :p

Can get the mod visible on the launcher but it doesn't do anything in the game. Am I really this tired and/or inept?

EDIT: nevermind, cracked it :D
What was going wrong, if I may ask?

Many thanks for releasing this Jorlem!

Where exactly do I need to dump your files to enable the fix? (Sorry if that's a dumb Q I've not played with the modding side of CK2 yet)

Can somebody please tell me the location of the "00_traits.txt"?
When I search in Win I retrieve the two locations which are the text files regarding the traits in the two mods that I have but no results for the original game. I can't seem to locate the 'common' folder as well:/

Most companies patch to fix bugs. Paradox patches to make their new DLC work with the game properly and squeezes one or two minor bug fixes in while leaving all the important bugs alone because they might take more than 5 mins to fix.

Paradox is one of the few companies that actually fixes bugs, and listens to the forums. :)