• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Bah, new episode is last post on previous page. Linkie here:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...er-the-Sun&p=16612751&viewfull=1#post16612751

Merry Christmas, everyone!
And i'll do my best to get done with the war before the year ends. Anyways, now it seems i have turned back the tide and am slowly advancing.

DensleyBlair - wish i could. In coaliton wars, only get to demand provinces i have claims on. Unfortunately. But total control will have to wait a bit.

Chief Ragusa - im not even trying to get 100%, i'll just try to get enough to win

jdeska - hello, mr lurker. Glad to hear you're enjoying this!

TheExecuter - yea, makes it a bit harder- forces you to spread your forces and pick your battlefields, not just outright attack and crush the enemies.

Good to see you continue to have the upper hand. What is the current warscore?

I don't suppose Spain have any colonies you can claim in South America? Might be a good time to expand your interests in Peru.

World War I, Part IV - Long Live King João V

Ending the Main War

In February 1626, Ottoman soldiers landed in Siena. From there, they marched to Pisa and Firenze, completely surrounding Portuguese Italian holdings- with an exception of Palermo, where Portugal still has 7000 soldiers on reserve. In addition, a fleet of 60 ships was spotted on Italian shores. Of course, it was more than just huge warships, it was a mixed fleet of galleons, transports, light ships and some warships.

portugal356.jpg

Finally, Ottoman armies joining the fight

Despite of that, it was clear that Portugal is becoming victorious. In all fronts (except the Arabian Peninsula one), Portuguese armies had pushed back the enemies and were winning the war. Madrid, the Spanish capital, fell in April 1626, after 684 days of siege. Rest of Spain was also quickly becoming under Portuguese control.

Of course, there have been naval engagements during the war. Most of them were small-scale and not really decisive- though overall, few dozen Spanish ships were sent to the bottom of the ocean. It was in July 1625 when Portuguese fleet intercepted a small Ottoman fleet that was sent to help the Spanish and forced to port by Portuguese. This was great success- entire fleet of 16 ships was caught after Asturias fell and the fleet rushed to safety and were sent to the bottom of the ocean. Just a few days later, Ottoman main fleet intercepted Portuguese Sevilla trade fleet and as a result, captured 10 frigates and sailed on.

portugal355.jpg

Most important naval battles of the war

With that though, the war was coming to an end. In 2nd December 1626, last of the Spanish provinces in Iberia fell. Galicia, the last to fall after 661 days of siege, meant that Portuguese control the entire peninsula. In America, almost all of the Aztec provinces were under Portuguese control. In India, the enemies were defeated and Portuguese had taken Kosta. A small unit was sent to Spice Islands where provinces of Ayutthaya put under siege.

portugal354.jpg

Portuguese Iberia. Now I only have to wash the ugly yellow stripes from all the beatiful green

It was in January 1627 when the peace was signed. The war had lasted for three years and had been fought in every known continent (except Australia, but only Portuguese know of that one yet). Portuguese had fought a coalition of 10 nations and managed to fish out utter victory from what looked like a disaster. It was utterly seeming that Portuguese also got spoils from three continent- as a result, Portuguese gained three provinces. First, Pirineo from Spain. After all, you have to take something from the Spanish. Second, Tlapanec from Aztecs. Portuguese just had the claim and Aztecs were to be punished for thinking they have a chance. Finally, Kosta from Golkonda. Perhaps the most important victory from this war, for Kosta was a key to Bengal node. And Bengal node was the weakest link in Portuguese East Asian trade.

portugal353.jpg

Peace, finally!

Conquest of Malacca

Portugal had still another war going on- with Ayutthaya, over the control of Malacca. Ayutthaya, already defeated, also at war with Pegu and Tibet, plus they lost control of Malacca and Aceh a long time ago. Chances of victory are not that good, right? Portuguese forces in India were of course also shipped to the Ayutthaya lands. In August 1627, Portuguese led by Sebastião himself attacked the enemy in their capital- and once again, destroyed their army.

This was it for the enemy. In September 1627, the peace was signed. Portugal gained control over Malacca, finally gained mastery of Straits of Johor and gained themselves two out of three important trade nodes of the Malacca trade node. Overall, a very successful war- despite the Spanish intervention, Portuguese managed to get what they wanted and managed to win despite the odds.

portugal352.jpg

The war is finally over

Colonization

During the war, Portuguese moved on along the coast of Africa. In 1627, Portuguese colonized Cameroon, moving further to south and trying to connect territories of Kongo and rest of Portuguese Africa holdings.

portugal349.jpg

Pushing on to the Africa

On different side of the world, North American east coast had been colonized, mostly by the French, while the west coast was still unihabited by the European power- until Portuguese showed up in Kalapuya, the richest province there, defeated the natives and started the colony.

portugal350.jpg

First colony in West Coast

Death of the King

After the wars, King Sebastião formed an alliance with Sicily- hoping to get a peaceful resolution instead of another war, the Portuguese decided to use diplomacy instead of swords in taming Sicily. Of course, Sicilians responded wisely- declaring war on Papal States in February 1628. Dragged into war he did not want to, Sebastião still had no choice but to accept.

This was also the last war of the King. Sebastião, who spent most of the World War I in India and Spice Islands, brought something home with him. Little souvenir called called malaria. In April 1628, the fever finally got him. He died in Lisboa, in the royal castle and in great pain.

He was 25 years old when he inherited the throne from his brother, José I. Now, 18 years later, he died of age 43. His son, João, will become the new King of Portugal, known as João V the Brilliant, he will surely lead Portugal to greater glory. The most brilliant King ever, inheriting the most powerful nation under the Sun...

portugal351.jpg

Long live King João V (and by long, i mean hopefully a century!

This is it! Total victory over coalition and the original war won as well. Not bad, not bad at all. And with João V, the Portuguese power will rise to the new heights, without a doubt.
And at least Sebastião I managed to avoid bringing all the Portuguese forces across Gibraltar, getting them all killed and becoming a minor partner of personal union with Spain, so all is good.

DensleyBlair - Was a bit over 40% when you asked, finished the war with about 70%. And unfortunately, no claims in South America. I'm hoping the rebellions to kick in and get most of the Spanish South Africa...

Chief Ragusa - Well, can't be everywhere and thought abandoning Arabia would hurt me less. And as for Spanish- when i control all, they are forced to give up....

Long live the king! João is certainly capable – good things should be coming your way, for sure. How old is he?

The war went well, then. Good to see further expansion in the Spice Isles. Getting California is a good move, too. Yours is truly the empire on which the sun never sets!

Update coming in a new year! :)

DensleyBlair - João is 19 at the moment. Sebastião kicked the bucket at the best possible time!
War went surprisingly well. Though, let's be honest, that was not the most toughest coalition. As for the Empire where the Sun never sets- i'm not 100% sure yet. I think I need something from the middle of Pacific Ocean to claim that. Right now, it might be well possible to get a few hours of darkness.

Chief Ragusa - Decent? I crushed them! Most of them, at least. Heh, and i hope to be celebrating 100th birthday of João V

Such impressive gains in such a well...comparatively short time.

Life and Death of King Sebastião I

Overview

Sebastião I, the Unexpected King. He came to the power after his brother José I died after only 1,5 years of reign. Unfortunate hunting accident put the new King on throne- one that could not hope to inherit. Despite of that, Sebastião ruled well and steered the fate of Portugal for 18 years. He was a good military commander and military leader, but average administrator and diplomat. Overall, his rule was successful, even if a bit boring.

By the time Sebastião came to power in 1610, Portugal was already an Empire. Her territories dwarfed the Roman Empire- and the territories were everywhere. In Europe, in Africa, in Asia and in America. Her navy was without a match (well, unless you match it with Denmark, but why should you?), her armies one of the biggest and most importantly- Portugal dominates the trade from Asia to Europe and from South America to Europe. The wealth flowing to Lisboa makes the Portuguese King richest in the world. Meaning- Sebastião had everything he needed for success- ships, men and money.

Trade Wars

When ruled by Sebastião, Portuguese did not expand as aggressively anymore. Partly because they already were almost everywhere they needed to be. What Sebastião tried to achieve was to strengthen Portuguese influence over either trade nodes or to further the influence in Europe.

Sebastião did inherit a war that was originally fought against Yemen, but then Ottomans and Mali and Persia joined in and the conflict grew a bit more then Portugal had bargained for. Lasting from 1610-1612, Portugal managed to gain two provinces, including Island of Socotra. More power in Aden is always good.

In 1617, Sebastião did declare war to Brunei, owner of the biggest island in Spice Islands, the Island of Borneo. Also, to Brunei, the nation with the second biggest fleet patrolling the Malacca node (you don’t have to guess who has the biggest, right?). When the war ended in 1619, Brunei had only half of Borneo and much smaller fleet.

portugal317.jpg

Taking a province or three from Brunei

Also, from 1623-1627, Portuguese fought over Malacca and Sumatra Island with Ayutthaya. Result- Malacca and Aceh, two out of three important nodes in Spice Islands, were safely Portuguese.

As we can see, total three wars with only one goal- expand Portuguese influence over key trade nodes. Both Aden and Malacca were more firmly under Portuguese rule than ever, with more and more gold flowing through the nodes and ending up in Lisboa.

Italian Adventures

During the reign of Sebastião, Portugal finished integration of Tuscany to Portuguese land. Tuscany is a Portuguese vassal from 1580. In 1606, King João IV, father of Sebastião, started integration of Tuscany. It was going well, apart for a small war. From 1611-1615, Sebastião fought with Saxony in a war started by Great Britain over Salzburg, fought mostly in Central Italy with Mantua. Before Portuguese did react, Mantuans had put both Tuscany and Pisa under siege and were threatening Portuguese influence in the area. When Portuguese did arrive, they defeated Mantua and forced them to give up Siena as independent nation (and soon, a Portuguese vassal). In 1616, Tuscany was officially integrated to Portugal and first provinces in the Italy were gained.

When João IV integrated Aragon, he gained the Island of Malta- and another entry point into Italy. From there, Sebastião started another push into Italy, fighting Sicily and gaining the province of Palermo in a war lasting 1619-1622. By the time Sebastião died, Portugal had four provinces in Italy- Pisa, Tuscany, Palermo and Siena as a vassal. Plus, Sicily as an ally and potential vassal.

portugal358.jpg

Italy in 1628

World War I

The highest achievement of Sebastião is the Spanish coalition war. It started when Portuguese declared war on Ayutthaya in 1623. Both of Portuguese Indian armies were busy with that war and half of Portuguese European armies were in Sicily. So, Spain thought it would be a good time to strike and in 1624, they declared war on Portugal. Meaning, Portuguese and their allies Great Britain and Siena had to fight the following nations:

From Europe: Spain and Denmark (ally of Spain, not part of the coalition)
From Middle East: Ottoman Empire and Yemen
From India: Bahmanis, Golkonda,
From America: Aztecs
From Spice Islands: Majapahit, Aceh, Pattani

The war was fought in Europe, in Asia, in India, in America and in Middle East. It was the first war known to mankind to engulf all of the globe and thus, it became known as the first World War and a biggest challenge Portugal has faced to date. Of course, Portugal herself was also bigger than ever.

Battle of Vizcaya, fought in February 1625, is the bloodiest battle Portuguese had fought to date- and also a testament to power of the Portuguese. Spanish managed to gather an army of 24 000 soldiers and it was almost all they had, and all of their forces in Europe. Against them were 42 000 Portuguese. Plus, about 20 000 in Indian Ocean area, 10 000 still in Italy, 10 000 or so sieging other Spanish provinces and 10 000 or so in America- meaning about 100 000 soldiers all over the world. And of course, the Spanish armies were defeated, making Portugal the only power left in Iberia.

portugal339.jpg

Battle of Vizcaya

Losses in Arabian Peninsula, especially the loss of Aden to Yemen were more than compensated by victories in India. By the end of 1625, the subcontinent was cleared of enemy troops. In America, Portuguese were doing their usual Aztec-slaughter. Overall, it could be said that Sebastião fought the world- and won. Perhaps most remarkable achievement is the conquest of Iberia- every single province under Portuguese rule. As a victor Portugal signed peace in 1627, gaining three provinces- one in India, one in America and one in Iberia. War with global extent and global gains.

portugal354.jpg

Occupation of Iberia

Also in 1627, the war with Malacca came to close, with Portuguese gaining both Malacca and Aceh, important centres of trade from Malacca node, plus another province in Sumatra. Total 6 provinces from two wars- not bad.

Portuguese Navy

By 1619, Portugal had around 150 ships. Mostly frigates, patrolling the seas of the world, also around 30 heavy ships and 20 transports. Making it the biggest navy in the world- and too small for Portuguese needs. After all, Portugal needs a proper heavy fleet to guard home, smaller heavy fleet to dominate Indian Ocean, enough transports to sail the troops around and a lot of light ships to protect a total of 15 trade nodes Portugal is active in.

Sebastião adopted naval ideas in 1612. By 1619, Portugal was ready to adopt the grand navy idea, increasing Portuguese ship limits further by 50 ships, to around 230 ships. In a few years, the limit was filled. By the time Sebastião died, the Portuguese had 41 galleons, 40 merchantmen and 154 early frigates. Three next naval nations are Denmark, Great Britain and France, all with little over 90 ships.

portugal357.jpg

Portuguese navy and army when Sebastião died

Colonization

During the reign of Sebastião, Portugal continued their colonization efforts all over the world. Portuguese Peru and Mesoamerica were already colonized almost as much as possible.All was not great though- unfortunately, it seems like Spain has won the race for South American colonization. Most of the continent was Spanish, though Portugal held a powerful base in Brazil and owned land from North Peru to Mexico. In his final years, Sebastião also ordered Portuguese to move north, to West Coast of North America. First colonists were sent, but the King died before they arrived.

portugal361.jpg

Spain is the dominant power in South America

Also, Portuguese continued their expansion of Spice Islands. Perhaps the biggest achievement was Island of Sulawesi. After taking Makassar from Brunei, Portuguese troops pacified rest of the island and by the time Sebastião died, all of the island was under Portuguese rule. In addition, Portuguese colonists settled other small islands in the area.

portugal360.jpg

While Portugal is the only European power in Far East

As for Africa- so far, Portuguese had treated Africa like a stepping stone to Asia. With colonies only in strategic areas around Mauretania, Ivory Coast, Kongo and Cape, plus holdings taken from Swahili in the east coast, they served as strings of naval bases where Portuguese settlers could resupply their ships. Sebastião started to change that- under his rule, Portuguese started filling out the gaps on the map. During his reign, Portuguese colonies were settled from Rio de Oro to Cameroon.

portugal362.jpg

Expanding in Africa

Conclusion

The reign of Sebastião was stable. Portugal did not attempt new gains, but instead consolidated the existing ones. A good King and more than capable general, he expanded Portuguese influence all over the world.

portugal359.jpg

Ending screen near the death of the monarch

Before dieing to malaria at age of 43, he used diplomacy, warfare and colonization to expand the Portuguese Empire by 23 provinces.

eu4_map_POR_1627_12_14_1.jpg

The World in 1628

Here's one to slow day at work! One life and death complete and i am almost done with good king Sebastião. And here i go, wishing you a joyful end of the old and painless start of the new!

Chief Ragusa - Well, if i don't get something from Pacific, i'm not sure i get sunsetless empire. And forts in Arabia are as strong as possible. As for gains- warscore allowed me to take only three, unfortunately. But a bit more- well, i got total 6, 3 from Malacca. Would be running close to overextension then.

BogMod - nearly 200 years ingame is not such a short time, more like half of the game!

Overview of trade- 1627

Portugal depends on trade. Portugal dominates the world trade. Portugal needs world trade to keep up the current advancement level. Yet, have not spoken about the trade as much as i need to. But- here it goes, the Portuguese trade situation in December 1627.

Eastern Trade Route

Malacca, the heart of Portuguese trade in Far East. Not only is it herself rich, but there is also Chinese trade. Portuguese traders from Canton (owning Taiwan and Hainan island) bring in almost 7 gold per month. Another 3 gold, other nations grab from Hangzhou, other Chinese node. No Portuguese presence there yet. Plus everything from Philippines. Portugal controls 3/4 of the trade in the node, so most flows out. That is the base of Portuguese riches. 22 frigates protecting trade here.

portugal371.jpg

Bengal is a single input, single output trade node in Gulf of Bengal. Portuguese holdings there- Andaman Islands plus 19 ships. Enough to squeeze most of the money forward. Even though Bengal is relatively unimportant, it is currently chokepoint of Portuguese eastern trade. Of course, Portuguese are well aware of that and it means doom to Bengal. Eventually. Currently, it's 21 in and 14 out.

portugal370.jpg

Ceylon, the earliest Portuguese trade center in East. It is long since Portuguese gained their first trade post here- and the Portuguese have been busy. Again, 3/4 of the trade belongs to Portugal and most of the trade flows to Aden, not to Indus. 15 ships protecting trade here.

portugal369.jpg

Gulf of Aden- as important as it gets. Here it is decided how the eastern trade is distributed. Will it be over the Alexandria to Mediterranean, where Venice and Genoa compete over the spice trade? Or will it be over Basra to Constantinople, to give Ottomans the edge? Currently, of course it goes over the Tip of Africa to Seville. It is worth saying that Portuguese have done quite a deal to ensure things really go that way. All of important centres of trade in Aden are Portuguese, plus several other provinces have as fully built trade buildings as possible. Plus, the second biggest Portuguese trade fleet is patrolling these shores- 30 frigates ensuring that Portuguese merchants are safe and others are properly harassed. Still, Aden is perhaps the most important node to Portugal- and the most fiercely competitive.

portugal368.jpg

From Gulf of Aden, there are Zanzibar, Cape and Kongo. First is almost under Portuguese control, the next two are 100% Portuguese. All three are single input, single output nodes, not worth of mentioning much.

Ivory Coast is the last of the important centres of trade of their way to Seville. From here, trade flows to either Mauretania, Timbuktu in the heart of Africa or Caribbean. Again, Portugal is in total control of the node. With only 10 ships and lots of trade buildings. Bengal (by the way, who is Catholic) and Mali are competing, but not really effectively. Also from there comes the Brazilian trade, adding extra 6 gold to the node.

portugal367.jpg

From Ivory Coast, there is still Mauretania, also single input, single output node and from there, there is heart of Portuguese trade- Sevilla. This is the Portuguese Eastern Trade node.

Western Trade

Panama is perhaps the first important trade node in the area. It actually begins in Peru. Most of the South African trade flows from there to Panama. Since the South Africa is mostly Spanish, they forward their trade straight into Portuguese coffers. Also Panama is capable of accepting Philippines trade, though currently all of the Philippines flows to Malacca.

portugal366.jpg

Caribbean is the heart of American trade. Here, Portugal is having a total control and is definately passing trade to Seville. Incoming from Mexico (and from California from there), Panama and Mississippi bay (currently flowing to North) the trade moves where i need them- to Seville. Interestingly though, the Hansa also had an office here, getting the small share of trade to North. Right, and both Panama, Mexico and Caribbean have each 1 light ship. Caribbean still has early barque that was used to explore the islands 150 years back.

portugal365.jpg

Seville

Finally, home sweet home. The only place where Portugal collects. The place where all the riches of the world flow to. The home of the biggest Portuguese trade fleet (40 ships). In addition of the incoming money from East (66 gold) and Caribbean (24 gold), Seville also gets money from Genoa (8 gold). Other nations are trying their best to steer the trade away, but don't succeed much. And France is embargoed by Portugal, incidentally. Still, despite their best efforts, the other nations don't steer that much away. Resulting- total value of the Sevilla trade node is a bit over 100 gold. Next is Lübeck, with 35 gold.

portugal364.jpg

Monetary value of the world trade is really something special. Total 63,5% of the Portuguese income is coming from the trade- and in monetary values, it is 220 gold per month. Enough to pay for the fleet, pay for the army, pay for the advisors and still have a healthy surplus.

portugal363.jpg

As we can see here- no wonder that the Portugal is the most richest and powerful nation in the world. Controlling most of the world trade is lucrative.

Trade certainly is lucrative. Well done on dominating as much as you have thus far.

That said, I'm sure no one would complain if you sought to be a bit more dominant. ;)

Good job! I never get anything close to that in trade, whatever the nation I try.

Showcasing the power of trade is excellent. It shows just how well Portugal did when it controlled the trade and explains why historically Portugal fell after the Dutch and English muscled in. The only fleet that could match you is the Danish and they've no real incentive

DensleyBlair - Oh yes it is. Wonder what happens when Conquest of Paradise kicks in. And no worries, i'm not even close to done with the dominating part!

Nikolai - Let's put it this way- i have played for nearly 200 years. And every move i've made, every step i took, every plan i've had, i've been doing it for the trade. With an exception of Italian conquests, everything i've done is to make trade happen. The conquests in Iberia- to gain ultimate supremacy in Seville. Expansion in Africa- to get trade flowing from one Asia to Seville. Expansion in America- to control the Caribbean and with that, the South- and Mesoamerican trade. Expansions in the Arabian peninsula- my sole goal is to control trade from India and move it across Africa to Seville. As well as Indian and Spice Islands conquest- only purpose is to steer all that lucrative trade to Portuguese coffers. It must pay off eventually.

Chief Ragusa - Wasn't it that Portugal fell mostly thanks to getting stuck in the PU with Spain? Then, they lost most of it. And Danish fleet has at least a nasty habit of picking all their ships and sailing in a posse, while i have to stretch things a bit more. After all, they only need to control Lübeck, i have to control everything.

The War with Swahili- A Tale of Overconfidence

Papal War

It was during the last few month of Sebastião I when Sicily, the newly found ally of Portugal, declared war on Papal States. Sebastião I was kind of forced to join. He did not want to pick the fight with the Pope nor did he want to disturb the balance in South Italy. Then again, he did not also want to really upset Sicily, the newest ally and potential vassal of Portugal, so he accepted the declaration of war.

Surprisingly enough, Portugal did not receive leadership in the war. To put it simply, first war of João V was a one he did not start, one he did not have any interest on and one he cared nothing about. So, in a month or so, he weaseled himself a white peace with the Pope, leaving the overwhelming (well, overwhelming to Sicily) Papal armies to give revenge to Sicily. When the war ended in 1632, the Sicilians were left with pretty much nothing. From a power in Southern Italy to 3-province minor.

portugal372.jpg

Sicily after the betrayal of Portugal

Gold and Cathedrals

It was in 1629 when Portugal advanced both trade and administrative technology to level 18. Meaning- stock exchanges for the gold, cathedrals for the Papal influence (and Portugal still is the most successful Papal Controller) and trade power all over the world. In Seville, Andalucia, Tangiers and Oran got the customs house. Everywhere where trade was important, the house was built, allowing the Portuguese better control of the trade.

portugal373.jpg

Advancement is always good

Also, Cathedral was built in special places. For example, Braganca got one, as well as Toledo. This action further cemented Portuguese influence over the Papal States- controller from 1580-ies and still going on.

Easy War Turned Hard

It was in September 1631, three years after his coming to rule, when João V started his first war. Of course, he had to get rid of the overextension left to him by his father. So, when he was almost done, it was time for a small war. A quick war. Nothing special, just increasing Portuguese influence in the Eastern Coast of Africa. Take a few provinces from Swahili and be done by Christmas or so. Only Mameluks, the defenders of the Sunni faith, decided to join in. What had started as an easy war typically extended.

20 000 troops in African coast- makes the war down south easy. In October, the Portuguese forces marched to Mozambique, engaged 10 000 strong Swahili army and annihilated them in a quick battle while losing less than 200 soldiers. This is one of the easiest victories Portugal had ever had. After that, Portuguese troops started the sieges of Swahili lands without meeting any resistance. The African war was won.

portugal381.jpg

The war started well enough

Battle of Libya

Then, João V did something really stupid. It was not the first time Portuguese had fought with Mameluks. It always went the same way- Portuguese fleet blockaded both the Mediterranean and the Red Sea harbours and forced Mamluk leaders to give up. Now, João V decided that Portugal was strong and powerful enough to not just blockade, but to invade. In May 1632, he ordered 20 000 Portuguese to sail to Mediterranean and invade.

Not only an invasion, but a decisive battle was what the new King seeked. So, he ordered them to disembark in Libya, where a Mamluk army of 27 000 soldiers was waiting for them. Hoping to end the war with one quick battle... and failing to do that. Overconfidence. Portuguese had used to easy and quick victories over the enemies and were expecting just that right now as well.

Battle_of_Mezokeresztes_1596.jpg

The Battle of Libya

When the Mamluk cavalry charged, the Portuguese were as unprepared as one could be. They broke through, causing havoc in the Portuguese troops. Still, they fought valiantly, not giving up a single meter without forcing Mamluks to spill some blood. In the end, the Portuguese forces were forced to pull back to their ships, leaving about half of their army dead in the desert of Libya. As for Mamluks- they won, but in the end, their losses were even higher than these of the Portuguese. Still, if was perhaps the biggest Portuguese loss to date- and it showed that even though they were powerful, they were not invulnerable.

portugal374.jpg

This was a mistake

Mamluk Invasion of Rio de Oro

As Portuguese run to their ships and sailed back to Sicily to lick their wounds, Mamluks marched on. Portuguese heard reports of huge Mamluk army marching west, through the lands of Tripoli, then Algiers and finally Morocco. Through all the North African Muslim nations. Even better, they did not even stop at Tangiers or Oran, they marched on to first Portuguese colony in Africa. In the end of May 1633, 8000 Mamluks crossed the border and started siege of Rio de Oro. Another 16 000 were in reserve.

When Portuguese did arrive, they attacked without hesitation. This battle was turned out to be very one-sided. Small Mamluk army was killed to the last man and rest of the enemy did not dare to march to their aid. Instead, they stayed safely under the Moroccan soil.

portugal375.jpg

Mamluks in Rio de Oro!

Another Mistake

The war dragged on. Mamluks did not dare to move their troops to Portuguese territories and the Portuguese did not dare to try another invasion. Meanwhile, in January 1634, Portuguese advanced their military even further, to level 19. Meaning new infantry and war college. First things first- war college was built in Beira. In February, João V also advanced naval ideas once more.

It was until all the provinces of Swahili were under Portuguese rule that something happened. By something, i mean the Portuguese troops crossing uninhabited Africa and marching to Mamluk holdings in Ethiopia and putting them under siege in summer 1634.

In October, the Portuguese did a second landing in Mamluk mainland, this time sieging Alexandria. The Mamluks were nowhere to be seen and suddenly, Mamluks had total 40 000 Portuguese within their borders. And not a Mamluk in sight. So, in the beginning of January 1635 João V decided it would be safe enough to upgrade the troops. After all, what could happen? War almost won, not an enemy in sight and all that. From the beginning of January, Portuguese troops were following the footsteps of great (and very non-existent) King Gustavus Adolphus II of Sweden- the offensive stance.

portugal376.jpg

Advancement of technology

The change was made in 5th January. In 19th January 1635, the Portuguese were attacked by the Mamluk army and were once again forced to flee back to their ships. The losses were not that high though.

portugal377.jpg

It was all empty in the beginning of the year- and the result!

Even better- the Portuguese troops in Ethiopia were attacked by Mawar, one of the most powerful nations in India, who just happened to have their troops in the neighbourhood, ready and waiting for the final mistake of João V. To everyone’s great surprise, the Portuguese won that one, even though the infantry was out of the battle. Mawari soldiers attacked across the river, up the mountain and Portuguese cavalry was able to hold them off while Portuguese cannons pounded them and Portuguese infantry changed their uniforms.

portugal378.jpg

Mawar of all nations attacking Portugal in Ethiopia. That's globalism for you!

End of War

Still, that was the end of the war as well. Neither side was willing to continue the conflict and Mamluks did not care enough to bleed themselves for the Swahili. João V wanted more, but decided to settle for two provinces. Swahili had still four left. Portuguese had taken 7 provinces from them and they lost as much when Mutapa became independent. Once a great and powerful nation in Africa, now they were nothing but a shadow of their former glory.

portugal379.jpg

Portuguese gains

The end of the year saw something unprecedented in Portuguese history. Two of advisors of João V did something great. Gaspard de Aviero, military advisor and quartermaster improved the logistics of Portuguese army even further. The task of feeding and supplying thousands of men far away from home, often in hostile lands, was perfected. Duarte de Pimentel followed a few month later, changing the supply methods of the navy and improving Portuguese colonial range.

portugal380.jpg

These are some great men!

It was the end of the first war. Though mistakes were made, Portugal gained two more provinces in Africa- and João V got exactly what he wanted from this war. No, not the provinces. He wanted something entirely different- a truce with Mamluks. That he got.

I must admit, i've grown overconfident in the late years. The results are here- though what i've done might have worked in India. Not with Mamluks, unfortunately.

And in case you're wondering- why did João V want a war with Mamluks or to be a more precise, a truce with them... well, you have to stay tuned for the next episode to find out!

Chief Ragusa - Still, i think it had quite a deal to do with it. As for Danish- i have no particular beef with them... They play in Lübeck, i play in Seville. We don't have much common points.