• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
DensleyBlair - Ivory Coast is both. As i plan to have Brazil/Caribbean and route to India. This of course means that i have to stretch things quite a bit, but it should be doable. And if someone else manages to get colonies to Brazil, then the only trade route out is through the Ivory Coast, meaning i collect most of the benefits! :)

Chief Ragusa- More colonists is under plan. I'd hope so for England, but i wouldn't hold my horses. As for Morocco/Algiers- they are worthless. They have way too high core creation costs and they are overseas, so i don't get ultra-rich and powerful for owning these provinces. Of all the coastline, there are two provinces worth taking- Tangiers (that i own) and Oran. Both give me nice boost in Seville trade node. Yes, i'll take bits and pieces now and then, but overall, there are much more juicier targets elsewhere. Seville on the other hand... is something entirely else! :)

In my current Portugal game I've found that Gold Coast is essential for success. Getting it fully colonized with a marketplace plus the second tier building that gives you 25% more trade power is a must.
You could also look at Fernando Po for another place to build trade power.

Once you get the India trade you don't want those pesky African nations getting money from your efforts :)

The New Military Commander

Things that Happened

The beginning of rule of Filipe I saw the continuation of war with Mali. The Portuguese target was Gabu, another coastal province of Mali. Plus, of course, the treasury of Mali. The war took their time, for Malinese were putting up resistance. Not in the field, though they managed to sneak troops to Wolof and take the province before Portuguese could react. Still, it was only a matter of time.

Meanwhile, Spain took almost everything from Aragon, leaving the poor nation with nothing but Valencia in the mainland. It was now sure that Castile was becoming a main power in Iberian peninsula. Bad for Portugal, who would have preferred two conflicting powers in Iberia, but what the hell. Somehow, Portugal will manage. The peace with Aragon was in March 1469. In April, Castile called Portugal to their next war- final conquest of Granada. It was over by November 1469 and with that, the reconquista in the Iberian peninsula had ended.

portugal034.jpg

Castile now controls the Iberia

January 1470 saw the advancement of military tech- arquebuses were implemented to Portuguese armies. With modern firearms, the Portuguese fighting in Mali saw total increase in their efficiency. Also in 1470, Portugal received a mission to take and core Casablanca. Meaning that the loss of administrative power in order to integrate the province would not be that high.

portugal039.jpg

Time to grab your guns, gentlemen!

In February 1470, something strange happened. Pomerania of all nations, who is at war with us because they are allied with someone who is at war with England, sailed their fleet from all the way from the Baltic sea to Lusitanian Sea and tried to send 3000 soldiers to Porto. Not much, but it was 3000 soldiers more then Portugal had in their homeland. Of course, the coasts of Portugal were not undefended. Both Lisbon trade fleet and Armada Real sailed to Lusitanian Sea and intercepted the Pomeranian fleet. Galleys in the ocean is never a good idea, as the Pomeranians found out as they were fleeing against Portuguese superiority, losing a galley in the process.

portugal038.jpg

Failed Pomeranian try for invasion

André de Guimarães

In June 1470, Filipe I declared a joust in honour of his coronation. Champions from far and wide joined to show their military skill and battle prowess. It was a week-long event, with archery competition (won by an unknown man wearing all green), an arquebusier competition (well, you have to go along with times) and of course, jousting competition.

Jousting was the most interesting one as well- for there was a competitor, wearing worn blue armor, with no symbols on his shield. That was usual- someone who had taken a vow to not show his colours or something similar. He also refused to say his name, simply claiming to be a Blue Knight. That was also not very common, but it happened. The unusual part was his skill. He was able to make every one of his opponents, no matter how well-known knights they were, to smell the bitter smell of dust on the ground... and of course, the even more bitter smell of defeat.

800px-Paulus_Hector_Mair_Tjost_fig2.jpg

Blue Knight defeating his enemy at jousting

Thus, the Blue Knight was chosen to lead Blue Team for the grand melee, the main event, where hundreds of knights gathered in mock battle, with a goal to capture the enemy flag. Blue team was a band of failures, not very skillful knights and so on, while Red Team consisted of the cream of Portugal- the finest knights, the best armour, the heaviest horses. Underdogs versus the best- is there any doubt who would win? Blue Knight devised a plan- most of his troops would panic and flee. They did that most believably and the Red Team laughed, stormed after them and failed to notice that Blue Knight and few of his followers broke through the very eager defences around the Red Flag, captured it and delivered it to Filipe.

Filipe had the knight’s helmet removed, for he refused to give the well-deserved reward to a tin can. To be honest, it was more the curiosity then dislike for tin cans that drove the King to such action, but... the results surprised everyone. It was one of the servants of the King who recognized the Blue Knight. André, he was called. Son of farmer from the neighbouring village. Now wearing armour and fighting amongst the knights as equal.

Filipe had two choices- to order the fresh champion killed... or to acknowledge him. He chose latter. On the field, he knighted André and gave him small fief in Guimarães. André kneeled as a peasant, but rose up as a knight. The crowd went wild, but Filipe’s decision made the nobles of the realm crumble. Even less popular was Filipe’s on-site promotion- André de Guimarães, commander of the Portuguese armies.

portugal035.jpg

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! The event and the new commander...

End of War with Mali

War with Mali continued for another year. André de Guimarães proved more then competent commander. In Battle of Bambuk, he lead Portuguese against Malinese armies twice the size of them. Under his command, enemies suffered horrendous losses, while Portuguese losses were a bit over 800. Then, in following battles, André totally annihilated the Malinese army. He proceeded to siege the different provinces of Mali, discovered the legendary city of Timbuktu and then, ransacked the city, so it would be legendary ruins for some years.

portugal036.jpg

First battle of André de Guimarães

Finally, in September 1471, he forced Mali to surrender, giving up both Gabu and over 700 gold. Portugal had won once again. André de Guimarães had proven to be one of the best decisions of Filipe and in future wars, he and his brilliant military mind served the Portuguese well. As for Mali- Mali was in ruins, their treasury depleted and their provinces looted by the Portuguese. Of course, in time, they would recover. But then, the Portuguese would come again.

portugal037.jpg

Portugal now controls the Malinese coast

Right, it would be a good time to talk about buildings. Since they don't seem to fit anywhere else. With money from Mali, i've built some temples and constables and marketplaces. Sparingly though, for the new system where points are used as well means that each marketplace i build would take some time away from gaining a new idea or advancing my naval tech. Still, quite a few buildings have been built in Portugal proper, thus strengthening the realm. Overseas provinces get nothing so far.

Ezzezze - agreed. Another as important province is Benin- the Niger estuary bonus there is the same Gold Coast gets. Even better is to conquer small nations there, though it takes time and patience.

This is an amazing AAR! I usually don't have the attention span to read through narratives, but you keep a good balance with the gameplay elements. Keep it up!

It seems I missed the opening of your new AAR hjarg. I confess I expected you to take a break after the last AAR. Well, mistake corrected. :)

That's a very nice colony you're developing. How long do you reckon until you get the boost to colonial range from diplomacy and such? Will you be going for the Brazil? Or perhaps the Windies?

I enjoyed the little story about de Guimarães. Sadly, I'm yet to play (still) so seeing these little flavour events is always nice.

And how on Earth did England get into a war with Pomerania? I'm assuming that's a rather hefty chain of alliances in action, there?

A tip in case you reach that part of your game soon. Sending a conquistador to clear the horn of Africa will allow you to colonize it. After that you can fabricate a claim on two of Yemen provinces and in a follow up war get the Aden province through a claim. This will probably give you enough trade power to steer trade down the Africa coast. :)

A bit before, Delagoa province is a nice place to colonize and fabricate a claim so you can get Zanzibar in a war with Swahili :)

As for the Niger delta, thanks for the tip. I'll make sure I get it sometime... But now I'm involved in a war against Yemen, Algiers and the Mamluks for that tip of the Arabian peninsula and it's going to be hard because the province I got a claim on has just been occupied by Persia in an unrelated war. :(

Great AAR, subscribed! Incidentally, I am also playing a Portugal game right now, though I am farther ahead (it's ~1610). I did almost the same things you did - rush exploration, get Tangiers, get into fights with Mali. My primary early game goal was the complete colonization of the Carribean - it is such a vital trade node for Portugal (along with Ivory Coast). I succeeded by hopping: Cape Verde->Brazil->Carribean. Right now I am steering all the trade I can get my hands on to the Carribean and collect there. Makes me more money than sending it to Seville, where Spain and Algiers also get a sizeable share.
I also focus the important trade provinces around Africa (Gold Coast, Benin, Kongo, Cape, Zanzibar), but did not take much else in Africa. Too much trouble (coring, converting, rebels...) for too little gain. I plan on getting Aden (Oman somehow has the whole Arabic peninsula, so it will not be too easy). I already have Ceylon, and plan on getting a few more Indian provinces. Then it is off to Indonesia! The trade must flow!

New Lands and Old Enemies

To the New World

In July 1473, Gold Coast became self-sustaining. Off the treasury of Portugal and on to providing income for the nation. No w, the Portuguese turned their attention west. The new lands, discovered by Portuguese explorers bit less then 30 years ago, were now in range. The scholars still debated what the discoveries were- parts of Asia, a huge island or some eccentric people even hinted a new continent. One thing was sure- the nature was beautiful, the soil was rich and the weather was a pleasure. By October 1473, Portuguese had arrived in Pernambuco, met the natives, pushed them back and begun construction of the settlement. The settlement soon proved to be rich in fish, and the coastal villages managed to live by the sea, catching strange new fish- and even exporting them back to Europe.

viagem-para-fernando-de-noronha.jpg

There are lots of good reasons to colonize Pernambuco, but this is the best

Pushing to the South continues

Colonist was recalled from Pernambuco, leaving the colony to their normal growth. In the coast of Africa, Fernando Po waited- a small island out in Gulf of Nigeria. It had the perfect harbour, sheltering Portuguese ships from storm. The colony was created in 1474 and soon, it also turned to be perfect place to take part of the African slave trade. The island was nearby of the mainland Africa and was perfect place to small raids or trading runs to acquire new slaves. Soon, Fernando Po became one of the hubs of slave trading.

portugal042.jpg

Settlement of Fernando Po

Elsewhere in the Realm and World

Also in 1474, Portugal started the to officially encourage immigration to colonies. As a result, the growth of the holdings grew to almost twice the size. In addition, Portugal reached next level of administrative technologies, allowing to unlock another idea. This time, Filipe chose Offensive Ideas and as soon as the idea was active, took Bayonet Leaders as well. Meaning that Portuguese troops will fight better.

portugal041.jpg

The new advances

England lost their war with Navarra in 1474 and as a result, lost Labourd to Navarra. With that, England lost last of their province in Southern France. They were still having trouble with Burgundy, who tried to make best of the English situation and took on conquest of England and with Scotland, whom they were trying to vassalize.

Castile had troubles of her own. The newly conquered Aragonese lands did not take kindly to their new Castilian overlords and formed a massive revolt. Castile was unable to fight the massive rebellions, with tens of thousands fighting against their new overlords. Soon, Castilian armies were scattered and the revolters controlled much of the new conquests of Castile. In 1475, the Castilians had no armies left and their manpower depleted. They were just forced to accept the inevitable- the provinces were handled back to Aragon.

portugal043.jpg

Castilian conquests and the situation in 1475. Also, notice the ownership of Labourd

War with Morocco

In October 1474, Felipe finally decided to fulfill the mission to conquer Casablanca. 15 000 Portuguese were already stationed in Tangiers and ready to push out. When the war started, Portuguese marched to Casablanca. As expected, the Moroccans marched their troops to Ceuta. André de Guimarães left a small force to continue the siege and marched to meet them. Of course, the result was as expected- the Moroccans were sent fleeing and André de Guimarães chased after them. In January 1475, he caught up with Moroccan army in Melilla and in that battle, Moroccan army was annihilated to the last man. Then, André de Guimarães left a token force to siege Melilla and by November 1475, the war was over. Morocco was forced to give up Casablanca and empty their treasury.

portugal040.jpg

Moroccans starting their siege of Ceuta and the result

Portuguese hold over both North Africa and also, trade in Sevilla, grew a bit. Plus, the threat of Berber pirates in the area lessened, for they had lost another base.

portugal044.jpg

Portuguese lands in North Africa

Anything that lessens the pirate burden is a win in my book.:p

I took Offensive as my second idea. Main reason- though i need diplomatic ideas, there is certain lack of diplomatic points and too much military points. So, i though that what the hell- better leaders, more manpower, better discipline and forced march- it certainly does not make Portugal any weaker. Perhaps i should have taken missionaries from administrative, though that will become my fourth idea. But early on, when Portugal is still extending their wings, administrative power is in some surplus as well- less so in the future. Plus, it allows me to unlock the national ideas much more quickly.

Facit - why, thank you very much! I'll try to keep narratives to a minimum- for one simple reason though- if i went full narrative, i'll still be writing this AAR after 10 years :p

Nikolai - no rest for the wicked! And well, i kinda rushed Hautevilles to the end to start with this. Welcome back! Heh, and berber pirates are unfortunately not as much of a factor in the game.

DensleyBlair- There is still long time to go to get to level 7 of diplomacy. But... with the advisor that gives me +20%, exploration idea that gives me +50% and soon to be unlocked Portuguese national idea that gives me +25%, the range is quite ok. And as you can see, i'll be going to Brazil (and Caribbeans) and pushing towards Windies (love the name, btw). Though i must admit, random events kinda feel more random then in CK2. Hope you'll get to your gaming comp soon though :) As for Pomerania- they were allies of Burgundy, i think. Not 100% sure though. Well, some allies or others.

Ezzezze- and you get a nice flavour event when you do that that gives you +5 trade power! Aden and Muscat (NB! Muscat is as important as Aden. Though it is capital of Oman, you can take if when you hold all the provinces there) both are on my "to conquer" lists. And as you can soon see, i've quite got the idea of colonize province next to it, fabricate the claim and use it to gain some nice lands. Thanks for the hints though! Hope you'll get your province though- sucks when this happens.

galdor123 - thanks and welcome aboard! Caribbean is nice and if you control the area, you basically control most of the South American trade. If you control Ivory Coast as well, you'll basically control all the trade coming from Americas and Indies. But let's just say i've found another solution to the Seville problem. Stay tuned... ;)

So we see some Brazilian action at last! Just in time for the World Cup ;)

Interesting to see that you're continuing to focus on West Africa – is the idea to build up as strong a base as possible for when you need to divert trade through the area?

And interesting also to see that Aragón have had some provinces handed back to them. Perhaps Spain won't be forming for a short while longer?

You need the military power to take out the natives. Seems like just ticket. If I recall correctly, Andalucía in which Sevilla is sited is a granadan core. Revolt. Claim province. Take. Bermuda seems to be the key to Carib colonisation.

Towards the Cape of Good Hope

Raid on Mali

In November 1476, King Filipe decided that Portugal needed cash again. And the perfect place to get the money is of course Mali. So, Portuguese troops went down to the well-known path and by April 1478, Portuguese were once again 577 gold richer. Of course, by todays standards, the Portuguese were nothing more then bullies, praying upon the weak, but it was ok during that time. Plus, the colonial expansion and the need to have both proper army and fleet put a real strain on Portuguese economy. Though the first benefits of the economic expansions were already showing, it was not enough. One could even go as far as say that the Portuguese Empire was built on money from Mali.

portugal053.jpg

Visit to the Bank of Mali

Meanwhile, Castile annexed Navarra in January 1477 and in March, went once again to war against Aragon, with the goal to reclaim the provinces they just lost.

Colonial Rush

In December 1476, Gold Coast was finally part of Portugal. The trade was already flowing from the province and other income too. A man could get rich in the colonies- if he was entrepreneuring enough. The stories of sailors who became captains of their own trade fleets and farmers who now owned plantations with dozens of slave spread throughout Portugal, causing more and more people to seek their fortunes in the lands unknown. Of course, some failed, some died, some came back disappointed and much poorer- but there was enough who prospered as well. So, in November 1478, Portugal saw an influx of colonists.

portugal052.jpg

More colonists is always a good thing

In March 1479, Fernando Po became self-sustaining. Once the province was cored, the range of Portuguese would expand to all the western coast of Africa. Slowly, Portugal was pushing South. The situation became even better in June 1479, when Portugal gained the idea of national conscripts and with that, also the legacy of Prince Henrique was unlocked. Meaning that the range of Portuguese would reach even further.

portugal051.jpg

More manpower, more range. Don't know what is better

One of the side effects of reaching Fernando Po was that Portugal got their greedy little hands enough on the dirtiest trade on the planet that slaves became slowly boosting the colonial income of the nation. Now, Portugal controlled over tenth of the world's slave trade.

In Autumn 1480, Portugal reached the new level of trade, meaning better collection and better range. Income of Portugal rose quite a deal as a result. Another advancement was made in September 1485, when Portugal finally discovered artillery. First units were soon to be implemented into the army.

portugal049.jpg

New technologies

Iberian Union

In March 1480, the Aragon was defeated once again, leaving the poor lads with nothing but Valencia and the islands in the Mediterranean. Strangely enough, just three month later, they signed a personal union with Castile. It likely means that soon, Aragon will become part of Castile and there is nothing that can stop the formation of Spain. Sad day for both Portugal and Aragon. And indeed, just a few years later, Spain was formed. Castile had achieved dominance of the Iberian peninsula...

portugal050.jpg

There, Spain is basically formed

Conquest of Kongo

Luanda was the next logical step for colonization. Not only as far as the range allowed, but also bordering the state of Kongo. Colonization occurred in July 1479. Soon, Portuguese armies arrived to wipe out the natives and pacify the province. The explorers were sent out to neighbouring provinces and the news they brought were good: rich lands, some resistance, but not much. So, in November 1481, Portugal begun their war on Kongo. Few days later, André de Guimarães crossed the border, reached the enemy capital in Kongo and destroyed the Kongolese troops in one decisive battle.

portugal048.jpg

That was one quick battle

The enemy fortifications were nothing compared to what Portuguese were used to in Mali. Wood and dirt palisades surrounding the small settlements- meaning they fell one by one and very quickly. Just half a year after the war started, Kongo was totally under control of Portugal. Peace was signed in May 1482, with Portugal getting provinces of Loango and Kongo, plus all their treasury, about 500 gold.

portugal047.jpg

New Portuguese lands

Expansion in Brazil

In December 1482, Pernambuco, the first Portuguese colony in Brazil, became self-sustained. Small amount of trade had started to move from there to Ivory Coast and the tales of riches attracted new settlers to both Pernambuco and Ceara, the newly colonized province next to it.

The worrisome news was that Portugal was no longer alone there. In 1484, Spanish ships were sighted off the coast of Pernambuco. 2 light barquest, checking the coastline. The news was worrisome enough- it could mean that soon, Portugal does not have this strange new land all to themselves. Still, that was concern for the future.

portugal045.jpg

Portuguese provinces and Spanish ships

Cape of Good Hope

Luanda became self-sustaining in September 1484 and in October of the same year, freshy conquered Loango became core. Missionary was sent there to convert these heathens to proper Catholic faith, but it most important was the fact that the southern tip of Africa was now within Portuguese range. To put it simply- Portugal was now within half a distance from India.

SApoint4.jpg

The Cape of Good Hope in her full glory

In September 1485, Portuguese settlers reached the Cape of Good Hope and founded a colony there. Having full support of the crown, the colony grew quickly. Slaves for the neighboring areas soon became the main trade of Cape herself, but the main role the colony served was something else- their purpose was to serve the trade fleets arriving from India and perhaps even further beyond and ensure that Portuguese ships would be safe, sound and can carry their valuable cargo back to home without problems.

portugal046.jpg

Portuguese colony in the Cape

If you want to control trade from India, there are 5 really important provinces in Africa: Gold Coast, Benin, Kongo, Cape and Zanzibar. They all boost trade by +5, meaning that you will have easy advantage over the competition. For Portugal, province of Majerteen is important as well, for you will get an event that gives you +5 trade power in the province. But that is already part of Aden and a story to be told in the future. As for now- Portugal already controls 4 of these 5. Basically meaning that the African trade is almost under control of Portugal.

DensleyBlair - Indeed, though currently, world cup is still few centuries away :p And while the Caribbean is nice to own and provides a good boost to Seville, the real money from trade is from Indian trade- as it was in real life. I'm doing my best to reach there and take as much as possible as soon as possible.
Unfortunately, Aragon didn't last for much longer

Chief Ragusa - i lack diplomatic power a lot, i lack administrative power some, but have plenty of military power. So killing the natives is a no-brainer here :) As for Bermuda- you are almost right. If you are playing as France or England. For Portugal, the key to Caribbean lies in Brazil, as you will soon see. As for Seville... no comprende at the moment! More of the subject soon. :p

Reactions:
Nice and slow expansion, sure to win the day.:) But I wonder on the crescent shaped colonization of Brazil...:p

Great historical expansion hjarg, I'm really impressed. Offensive as a second NI seems a good alternative, Defensive might also have been possible. What were the factors in your choice?
Also as a third group, would you be going Dliplomatic again, with Expansion to faster your colonisation effort, or maybe naval or even trade? (quite a bit of diplo points to have as Portugal). Also, I always wondered what if Portugal had chosen not to accept the iberian Union and went to form some kind of merchant republic. I understand it's only possible in EU IV if you lose to Revolutionary Rebels, but is this something feasible? It unlocks then the plutocratic group of ideas, which is great for a merchant/coloniser.

Route to India

Securing Ivory Coast

In May 1486, Portugal went to war against Hausa, target being Benin. The province is in the estuary of River Niger, thus being an important trade node. With Benin and Gold Coast, Portugal will become the undisputed leader of the trade in Ivory Coast. With some money already flowing in from Kongo and a bit less from Cape, controlling the node in the way sure is important.

The war itself was actually no big deal. Reputation of Portuguese preceded them and Hausan troops were nowhere to be found. Benin fell in November and after that, Hausa accepted the peace demand. Benin and 15 ducats- guess not all the African nations are rich.

portugal054.jpg

Portuguese Africa after taking Benin

Adventures of Alvaro Teixeira

Alvaro Teixeira was a captain. Born in 1440-ies, he was but a small boy when Portuguese explorers discovered Africa, Brazil and parts of the Caribbean. He lived his life, dreaming of a similar glory. Third son of a small noble, there was supposed to be church career for him- but the call of the sea was strong in this one. He escaped home in his teens and enlisted in navy. Given a proper education before, he soon was working as a navigator in one of the ships patrolling the Gold Coast. Then, he became Captain in one of the ships patrolling Kongo. But he wanted more. He wanted more riches and glory and he wanted history to remember his name.

Vasco-da-Gama_portrait_Great-expeditions-that-changed-the-world.jpg

Alvaro Teixeira

So, in December 1488, Alvaro went back to Lisbon with a plan. By luck and determination, he managed to get an audience with King Filipe and asked for his support. Alvaro’s idea was simple- to continue what the grand three explorers did not finish nearly 50 years ago- find route to India. Filipe did what most people consider to be the most imporant decision of his life and accepted, giving Alvaro command of a Barque called Santa Fe.

Alvaro Teixeira sailed south, to Cape, discovering parts of Atlantic Ocean on the way. He arrived in Cape in September 1489 and from there, set sail northward, up to the eastern coast of Africa. He sailed to as far as Aden, a province Diego Gomez had discovered back in 1450. From there, he lured a local guide with him and sailed further east. Finally, in the end of October 1489, he arrived in India. He continued to sail along the coast, making an occasional landing until in December 1489, he arrived in Kotchin, a valuable centre of trade owned by Venad. There, he met the ruler, Raja Rama Varma I and attempted to secure trade treaties. To be blunt, he was refused. Partly because he brought trinkets suitable for African natives, not Indian rulers. Partly because he was an arrogant ass. And partly because Raja was not impressed with Portuguese power, though the ship and her cannons were an impressive sight.

A_steel_engraving_from_the_1850%2527s%252C_with_modern_hand_coloring.jpg

Alvaro Teixeira meeting Raja Rama Varma I

Still, Alvaro managed to secure hold full of spices and sailed back, taking alternative route. He arrived in Cape in April 1490. In a trip that took a bit over half a year, he had finally discovered something special- trade route to India. Though the locals were not willing to make trade yet, Portugal sure had the ships and the cannons to force them to change their minds.

portugal055.jpg

The first voyage of Alvaro. As you can see, the trade is still quite static. I'm sure i'm able to mess things up a bit here though

Alvaro sent a detailed description to King Filipe and ordered the spices to be sent back to Lisboa and sold. He himself continued exploration of India and nearby lands. For example, he discovered Islands of Mahe, Bourbon and Mauritius. When the trade goods he acquired from India finally reached Lisboa, the crown’s share alone was over 250 ducats- no wonder that the King and rest of the Portuguese wanted more. Alvaro himself died in 1494, due to yellow fever and exhaustion in one of his expeditions. But he died as a rich and famous man- just the way he wanted to go.

portugal056.jpg

Hello, profits!

First Foothold in Caribbean

Cape became self-sustaining in December 1489. While the province was becoming a core, Filipe turned his attention westwards, towards the rich lands of the Caribbean. Island of Barbados, the most eastern of Windward islands, was chosen for colonization and in April 1490, colonists arrived there, founding a colony with the same name. The island was a good place to plant cotton and soon, the plantations were all over the islands.

barbados.jpg

Now, who doesn't want to be in Barbados

The colonization of Barbados brought on yet another colonial boom. Settlers were becoming more and more frequent and the colonies of Portugal grew. But no longer were they alone. In 1490-ies, Spain started to settle colonies in Brazilian area and in Trinidad, an island right next to Barbados. The Race for the New World had begun...

portugal057.jpg

The colony of Barbados and the surrounding lands a few years after colonization

Taking Fez

Meanwhile, Algiers had pushed west and taken Fez from Morocco. In April 1491, Portugal went to war to take Fez from them... It was an easy war, with Algiers not having allies and Portuguese fleet dominating their shore. When Tlemcen and Fez fell and Algerians lost one battle, it was more then enough. In July 1492, the war was over and Portugal had further expanded into North Africa.

portugal058.jpg

The outrageous costs for coring the new province

Advancement to Africa

After Cape became the Core, Filipe ordered the colonist back from Barbados and gave him a new task- province of Inhambane, right next to Swahili nation that dominates the eastern coast of Africa. As soon as the province was settled in December 1493, envoy was sent to Swahili to fabricate a claim on the neighbouring province of Sofala. Well, Sofala was the claim, but the true target was the centre of trade of Swahili, island of Zanzibar. Filipe planned to take both of them in just one quick war. But then something happened that temporarily stopped Portuguese expansion in that direction...

portugal059.jpg

Swahili Empire and with red arrow, the colony of Inhambane

English-Spanish War

In February 1493, Spain attacked England. Since both were allies of Portugal, it was a bit awkward, for Filipe now had to make a choice. He took the easy road and decided to keep the alliance with Spain, thus breaking the alliance with England. Spain didn’t even bother to ask the help of Portugal, content that they were left out of the war.

Then, something unexpected happened. In September 1495, the border frictions between Spain and Portugal that were ever present now escalated into much larger scale- fight begun over the province of Andalusia, home of Seville and as important to the trade in Gibraltar region as Lisboa. Since the Spain was busy with war with England, the opportunity was too good to pass. Portugal begun their preparations for war....

portugal060.jpg

Hello, claim on Andalusia!

First, yay! Got to India and got there a bit before Da Gama (whose pictures i shamelessly used).
Second, i always knew i had to go to war with Spain sooner or later. Though to be honest, i though i have about 50 or so years before things get that hot. But these opportunities don't present them that easily, so now i'm risking a bit and taking on Spain before i'm ready. Though- most of the Spanish troops are up in England, so...

And third, since they didn't fit in the story, here are the tech advancements of Portugal during that time:

portugal061.jpg

Nikolai- Well, next episode is screw slow and steady, time to risk a lot! And hey, i didn't make the borders! :p

MiniaAr - Thanks a lot! :) As for offensive over defensive- first: forced march, second: more manpower, third: better forcelimit (and believe me, as a growing empire i need that a lot), fourth: better leaders and finally fifth: better discipline. Though the defensive is powerful as well, i think offensive gives me more power for the military point. Though for defensive, fort defence is really useful, specially when you have a large empire all over the world. Can't keep every area under military power and thus, navies and good forts are important too.
And yes, Portugal drains diplo points like crazy. Next one is trade though- i need to make use of the discovered routes and start steering trade my way and for that, i need merchants and a lot of them.
Though i've seen all kinds of rebels, there have been no revolutionary ones. Unfortunately, for unspent military points in Mercantilism would sure help out a lot. But i'm afraid Portugal will just have to remain merchant Kingdom. Though- it is not that bad either, right?