+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Screenshot making

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    Europa Universalis: RomeSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Screenshot making

Hi,

I started a game old gods and 870 as east franconia my empire consists of former lotharingia and italy and i am able to create Holy Roman Empire. Thats a nice save i got there now, and i am eager to continue play it.

The problem is i wanted to make a screenshot for future reverence but alas my usual way for years just making a Screenshot and inserting in Paint didn't work. It just makes Screenshot of Desktop behind the game.
    So i pressed Buttons F9 to F12 that usually do Screenshot in Paradox Games far as i remember. But i got no msg a screenshot is taken and can't find a folder for it under documents or installation path.

So pls help me out with this one. Thx in advance!

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Heir to the ThroneThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    CK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

If you use Steam screenshot feature (F12) then you can easilly find them by pressing the view screenshot library and then press show on disk and it will open the folder where they are. If you use the games own screenshot fuction (F10, F11) the screenshots are in the My Documents -> Paradox Interactive -> Crusader Kings II -> Screenshots.

I would recomend using the Steam one as it will create them as jpg files when the games own makes bmp files. Jpg's are smaller and better quality and no need to change them with an editor to another format.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    Europa Universalis: RomeSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

Well i wrote that under my documents (the path you posted) theres no folder screenshots and i get no msg a screen is taken....for Steam... i have a GG Version of the game and a second Copy on Steam from Eu4 Preorder..guess i could transfer save, though its an old god save and i got that DLC only on GG Version

Maybe this is a bug or a matter with my new PC...cause you reassured me i did everything i usually should to make a screen..it just does not work...i will check if my Function Keys are working...other ideas are appreciated

On a related subject - anyone know the forum requirements for uploading screenshots or other attachments? Is there a minimum post count needed, or something?

General Grumpalodian Aardvark Bellay's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Nylen View Post
    Maybe this is a bug or a matter with my new PC...cause you reassured me i did everything i usually should to make a screen..it just does not work...i will check if my Function Keys are working...other ideas are appreciated
    You probably use a mod that creates its own directory folder where the screenshots along seetings.txt and logs is located.

Quote Originally Posted by -Malovane- View Post
    On a related subject - anyone know the forum requirements for uploading screenshots or other attachments? Is there a minimum post count needed, or something?
    Not as far as i know. Its just limited to certain forums, usually subforums. You can still upload it anywhere else and include the picture link here with[img]pic[/img].
    [Micromod] - Old Building Names (Pre-1.10-building-names for CK2)

CK2 Mods: User Mod Index (Don't forget to post about your mod compatibility)
    Deutsch CK2: German CK2 Sub-Forum (go there for the german translation 'repair' mod)

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneRome Gold
    Victoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Wezqu View Post
    Jpg's are smaller and better quality and no need to change them with an editor to another format.
    I hate to go on an off-topic rant here, but this is only half right. Bitmaps will always be of higher quality than JPEGs, as they are uncompressed. JPEGs use lossy compression, so that every time you edit a JPEG and re-save it, the same lossy compression is used again, meaning a JPEG's quality decreases every time it is changed.
    JPEGs are smaller files though, because of their built-in compression use. If there is a quality difference between CK@'s native screenshot method and Steam's screenshot method, is is related to how they take the screenshot, and completely unrelated to the format they output it to.
    PNGs would be a great compromise here, as they are somewhat larger than a JPEG, but nowhere near as large as a bitmap. They also use lossless compression, so they don't degrade.
    "We were undone because of you. Every day, every day, in the dark, in the dawn, forever, r-r-rip, r-r-rip, r-r-rub, r-r-rub, right in our faces, because of you."

General Grumpalodian Aardvark Bellay's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerai View Post
    PNGs would be a great compromise here, as they are somewhat larger than a JPEG, but nowhere near as large as a bitmap. They also use lossless compression, so they don't degrade.
    The game already uses PNG. It changed iin a patch a while ago.
    [Micromod] - Old Building Names (Pre-1.10-building-names for CK2)

CK2 Mods: User Mod Index (Don't forget to post about your mod compatibility)
    Deutsch CK2: German CK2 Sub-Forum (go there for the german translation 'repair' mod)

+ Reply to Thread