EUIV - Quick Questions / Quick Answers

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So um, just purchased CoP through steam and the download is 2.3 mb large... what... is up with that... does that mean that Conquest of Paradise's functions has always been there just need to be unlocked? o_O

Most of the content (and most DLCs for many games) are automatically downloaded by everyone when they come out. Buying the DLC does indeed merely unlock them for you.

This is to enable you to be able to play multiplayer with people who have them.

Is Westernization really kinda worth it? I mean, you need to be 8 tech levels behind to start it, and at least in my experience of playing a faction with a +20% tech penalty, I tend to be completely out-teching every Western nation around.

Or is this simply because the malus isn't that high, and the fact this nation is assured to have a 2/2/5 ruler kind of makes me think Westernization seems kind of like a bad strategy in the short-term? I can see the long-term, but it seems until then, you are really hoping no one eats your face off first.

I'm still confused on when a Colonial Nation forms. What exactly is required to form one? And once one is formed, does it automatically take all cored/uncored fully built colonies in that colonial region under your control and add them to itself?

I'm still confused on when a Colonial Nation forms. What exactly is required to form one? And once one is formed, does it automatically take all cored/uncored fully built colonies in that colonial region under your control and add them to itself?

5 Cored Provinces within the same Colonial Region (check the map modes) - and all provinces in that region whether cored or not are added to the CN (and instantly/freely cored) when the CN forms. CNs form at the end of the month.

5 Cored Provinces within the same Colonial Region (check the map modes) - and all provinces in that region whether cored or not are added to the CN (and instantly/freely cored) when the CN forms. CNs form at the end of the month.

For the latter part of your question...

Any province you colonize to city status will immediately join an existing CN in the same zone and become cored. Provinces you take from others within the zone will be added to the CN but the CN will have to core them. Provinces in a different zone will only join the CN if it is the one that captures or colonizes them.

I attacked Portugal and Austria answered CTA, now I have truce with Austria (who happens to be HRE emperor). If I attack an HRE prince with no CB, will Austria be called in with -5 stability hit? It has pretty much full manpower and low WE as it wasn't fighting me.
//I attempted to simulate using console but there's something funky about CTA. I allied Poland to Austria, switched to Russia and attacked Poland but Austria didn't join a war but remained Poland's ally.

Is Westernization really kinda worth it? I mean, you need to be 8 tech levels behind to start it, and at least in my experience of playing a faction with a +20% tech penalty, I tend to be completely out-teching every Western nation around.

Or is this simply because the malus isn't that high, and the fact this nation is assured to have a 2/2/5 ruler kind of makes me think Westernization seems kind of like a bad strategy in the short-term? I can see the long-term, but it seems until then, you are really hoping no one eats your face off first.

You can skip westernization as an Eastern tech nation no problem, if you're big. The process is a lot easier for smaller countries, and bigger ones can afford better advisors which offsets the 20% malus a bit. I could get 32/32/32 as un-westernized Commonwealth while conquering my way all the way to Japan, too, so you won't have to bank all your points either.
Westernization is a big thing mainly for lower tech nations than eastern (unless you specifically want to stay, say, Horde, or don't plan to fight Europeans on land and are Muslim). Sub-saharan, Native, Mesoamerican, Indian and Chinese really should westernize when they can, though.

Is there anyway to stop a country from rivaling you when you get a border province with them? playing as Muscovyjust took Ingermanland from Novgorod and my alliance with Sweden was suddenly broken after they rivaled me

Is there anyway to stop a country from rivaling you when you get a border province with them? playing as Muscovy just took Ingermanland from Novgorod and my alliance with Sweden was suddenly broken after they rivaled me

To be expected. After all, they have no-one else (apart from Denmark) to rival! And you do want those Finnish provinces, don't you? After you have taken what you want from them, eventually they will set someone else as their rival. But it will be a long wait.

If for some reason you want to ally them, keep a diplomat there improving relations (if you can afford one given you don't have that many in the beginning) and, when possible, marry them.That should be enough for them to no longer rival you.

Last edited:
How do i set a rival?

In the diplomacy screen, you have a list of your enemies and below that three empty slots for your rivals. Click on them, and select from the countries listed. Costs 10 dip points, but it's worth it.

In the diplomacy screen, you have a list of your enemies and below that three empty slots for your rivals. Click on them, and select from the countries listed. Costs 10 dip points, but it's worth it.
The game claims that it will cost 10 diplomacy points, it doesn't. You can also click the country on the map to set it as a rival.

Is there anyway to stop a country from rivaling you when you get a border province with them? playing as Muscovyjust took Ingermanland from Novgorod and my alliance with Sweden was suddenly broken after they rivaled me

A chance to eat up those Swedish provinces right :p (and once you eat enough of their provinces they'll change their status into scaredy cat threatened, the rivaling system depends a lot in the country size and whether or not they think they can match up to you). You could release some of your bordering provinces as Finland vassal, that might make them un-rival you, but then again maybe not