Ironman save games in the cloud: "save after every decision"

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Except the manual says the oppsoite. Unless you have other sources, I will assume you're just making it up.

Well unless Steam has suddenly changed how their entire system works... well.

I was never into Ironman. I didn't reload much, except when I felt the game cheated me somehow, but I always felt like I was playing for fun, not to prove something, so it was just my whim.

Then I played Dwarf Fortress.

Accepting the possibility that everything can fall apart any time for no reason at all or for the stupidest possible reason changed everything. I lost an Entire Fortress because a mob collapsed unconscious near my entrance, and was so huge that my barely armed dwarves whacked at it for months and starved to death without ever killing it (because I tried to drop a bridge on it without checking to see if it would die or the bridge would break). I decided Losing is Fun! Then I played Dominions 3, which is pretty much the same thing and accidentally hitting next turn is easy and very bad early on. Same thing, sometimes you just lose.

I'll probably play mostly normal mode, but I'm definitely going to do a fair amount of Ironman gaming. The trouble is coupling "every misclick is permanent" and "crash at your own risk" with "hey, get this award!" To my mind, the key to Ironman is just accepting that the Gods may be crazy and life is unfair. Every game will end, some end when you're bored, some when you get crushed, meh. Tough to couple that attitude with grinding out every ducat or 0.03% advantage to achieve some nearly impossible task and falling short because of a random and otherwise meaningless glitch.

I don't know if people just plays Paradox games rushing the campaign or what, but those "missclick stories" NEVER happened to me. The worst missclick that happened to me was closing a menu unintentionally (not a pop-up) making me had to re-open it up.

Except the manual says the oppsoite. Unless you have other sources, I will assume you're just making it up.
That's how Steam works. If it works differently for EU4, then yes, the manual is correct.

The save is saved locally after every decision point, and then uploaded to the cloud when you exit the game. That is how I translated it anyway.

My problem and why I like ironman mode is that I lack self-discipline. Send my 12k army against a 6k army and then see how another 8k army joins and obliterates my army? RELOAD! It's almost unconscious. But then, 200 years later with half of Europe under my wing I lose interest as the game is not challenging... of course it's not challenging! I cheated my way to that point. With ironman I hope the game keeps interesting a lot longer.

I'm obviously scared of losing a 2 week game to some stupid bug, so maybe my very first game won't be ironman (giving them time to fix the release bugs), also while I learn the ropes of the new system and leave the stupid newbie mistakes out of my first ironman game.

The save is saved locally after every decision point, and then uploaded to the cloud when you exit the game. That is how I translated it anyway.

In Ck2, saving costs me almost a second. And I got a pretty good system. If EU4 saves at every decision point, it'll slow down the game massively for me.

I just don't get why people are already, before the game is even out, trying to figure out how to game the system in order to be able to reload!

Thats the whole point of iron man, to take what may, regardless of a misclic, bad luck whatever! It completely defeats the idea behind it if your gonna cheat. Hell save yourself the hassle of closing and rebooting, and just play normal. You can then save reload to your heart's content.

I know I will. Savescummer and proud! When I do play iron man I will do so cleanly.

Comet sighted is simply bad luck that should be accepted (with or without cursing person who invented this event ;) ), but some accidental choices are seriously annoying. For example, what if accidentally I accept peace offer from some minor I just DOWed, which wants me to pay him all my money, become his vassal and change faith? Even in Ironman mode there should be possibility to revert last decision.

In real life, you can't go back on your word either. If you don't bother to read, or if your mouse tends to click on things unwanted, well, tough luck.

I just don't get why people are already, before the game is even out, trying to figure out how to game the system in order to be able to reload!

Thats the whole point of iron man, to take what may, regardless of a misclic, bad luck whatever! It completely defeats the idea behind it if your gonna cheat. Hell save yourself the hassle of closing and rebooting, and just play normal. You can then save reload to your heart's content.

I know I will. Savescummer and proud! When I do play iron man I will do so cleanly.

I don't think the whole reloading thing people are discussing is designed to reload after, say, a bad battle or event, but if you make a mistake that realistically should not be made (I.E. Renouncing your vassaliation on your vassals, giving away your treasury, and annulling all your treaties to some random OPM that's only in your war because of an alliance). I agree that a button that's basically a "reverse your last decision" would make ironman more friendly but still challenging.

The discussion isn't about how to cheat the system, it's how the system works. Sometimes, developers employ certain devious tactics that shouldn't be possible, but work. When that happens, it's hilarious to see the results. If, indeed, Paradox has managed to create a system that seamlessly saves with every decision and uploads at the same time, they've managed to break two rather tough barriers in the system.

It's a simple matter of whether we should string the PDS team up for witchcraft, or put them on trial for attempting to summon an eldritch abomination.

It won't be anywhere to back-up. It is entirely in memory and then the cloud.

I'm sure it will be backup-able. What if you lose your internet connection? What if Steam Cloud is down?

Also every game with a similar "ironman" mode saves games on the hard drive (with perhaps the exception of Diablo 3). I don't see why Paradox would be so incredibly harsh in that regard. It's not like achievements are a big deal; there even are programs that let you unlock any Steam achievement you want in one click.

Not to mention that the Steam cloud is limited. Civ V only allows 10 cloud saves, so that means there is some sort of storage limitation. Having to delete previous games to be able to save new ones would be pretty bad.

I'm sure it will be backup-able. What if you lose your internet connection? What if Steam Cloud is down?
Then you're screwed, if I am right.

Also every game with a similar "ironman" mode saves games on the hard drive (with perhaps the exception of Diablo 3).

Every game ... what? Unfinished sentence?

I don't see why Paradox would be so incredibly harsh in that regard. It's not like achievements are a big deal; there even are programs that let you unlock any Steam achievement you want in one click.

Integrity.

Not to mention that the Steam cloud is limited. Civ V only allows 10 cloud saves, so that means there is some sort of storage limitation. Having to delete previous games to be able to save new ones would be pretty bad.

I don't see what this has to do with Ironman saves specifically? There is no reason why you can't delete games you no longer want to keep or have finished? The steam cloud limitations are set in stone - no changing that. If you run out of space, you run out of space.

This is not entirely correct. Yes, Civilization V only allows for up to ten saves to be stored on the cloud at any given point, but this is a limitation set by Firaxis I'm pretty sure. Games such as Skyrim have no limit on how many saves you have, and that format tends to be a whole lot more volatile. EDIT: Should note that the cloud still restricts you to 95 MB in total, but that has nothing to do with the saved game limit besides the possible except of it limiting bloat of the games.

Then you're screwed, if I am right.
Then let's hope you're not.

I don't see what this has to do with Ironman saves specifically? There is no reason why you can't delete games you no longer want to keep or have finished? The steam cloud limitations are set in stone - no changing that. If you run out of space, you run out of space.
Those limitations vary from game to game. I'm certain Paradox will have arranged for more than adequate space for EU IV players.

Those limitations vary from game to game. I'm certain Paradox will have arranged for more than adequate space for EU IV players.

No they don't - The utilization of the space given is however. You get 100 Megabytes per user - That's it.

Steam Cloud
Expanding from 1 MB per user to 100 MB per user, per game. Store
data in Steam Cloud for your users. The Steam Cloud API allows your
game to write and retrieve files for each user. Use it for personalized
settings like keyboard, mouse, and gamepad configurations,
multiplayer sprays, or even saved games. Steam Cloud is a natural
extension of the portability that Steam affords gamers. Shipped
first with Left 4 Dead, Steam Cloud is now a proven resource and is
becoming an integral part of the Steam experience.

I doubt you'd be screwed per say, I think it'll upload to the cloud as soon as it can. This does mean you could technically game the system by actively disabling your internet account at certain points, so I don't know how you could stop taht.

Every game ... what? Unfinished sentence?

Every games that has an "ironman" mode (or equivalent) stores saved games on the hard drive, as far as I know.

Integrity.

I'm not sure to understand. If people want to cheat, nothing will stop them. So I don't see the point in being so harsh.

If ironman forces me to use the cloud with no possibility of backup, I would have to delete old saved games even though I would like to keep them (or I would have to stop using ironman mode). If it doesn't, I could keep as many saves as I want.

If ironman forces me to use the cloud with no possibility of backup, I would have to delete old saved games even though I would like to keep them (or I would have to stop using ironman mode). If it doesn't, I could keep as many saves as I want.

I don't really understand your point here.

Each ironman mode save will use 1 savegame, which will be uploaded to the cloud. It will then keep overwriting that 1 savegame.

You may have 100s of savegames, which may or may not fit in the cloud, but I don't think that 1 ironman savegame will be a problem, in fact, I'd think it'd be the solution, as you only have that single savegame in the cloud in that case, while non-ironman games may have dozens of savegames, e.g. yearly.

No they don't - The utilization of the space given is however. You get 100 Megabytes per user - That's it.
I beg to differ. While that may be what their terms say, in practice it's different.

http://i.imgur.com/IxBaa0J.png

As that shows, Skyrim allows for up to 50 MB extra. Whether that's because ZeniMax arranged a special deal, or some other matter is not my concern, but it clearly shows the games are not, in all cases, limited.

I don't really understand your point here.

Each ironman mode save will use 1 savegame, which will be uploaded to the cloud. It will then keep overwriting that 1 savegame.

You may have 100s of savegames, which may or may not fit in the cloud, but I don't think that 1 ironman savegame will be a problem, in fact, I'd think it'd be the solution, as you only have that single savegame in the cloud in that case, while non-ironman games may have dozens of savegames, e.g. yearly.

But I won't have only one ironman savegame if I start several ironman games.