Ironman save games in the cloud: "save after every decision"

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lessing

Field Marshal
81 Badges
Feb 16, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
Manual says:

Ironman mode – If you dare. When set to Yes, you don’t get to run back and
reload every time a decision goes against you. You have only one save game, saved
to Steam Cloud, which is overwritten at every decision point so you cannot go
back on your choices. You can save, yes, but only by exiting the game (so you can
go to bed). Iron man mode is the only time when Steam Achievements are active.

Does anybody know what a decision point is? Every click that changes something? I wonder how this works... savegames are pretty large, and upload speeds are bad. Incremental saves?

Apparently autosave is off during ironman mode because it gets saved all the time anyway....?

Manual says:

Does anybody know what a decision point is? Every click that changes something? I wonder how this works... savegames are pretty large, and upload speeds are bad. Incremental saves?

Apparently autosave is off during ironman mode because it gets saved all the time anyway....?

And more importantly- what if for some reason I don't have internet (for a while of course)? Will my disk be overflowing with EU4 saves...?

I assume that by decision they probably mean events and such, and maybe declaring war and making peace. Probably choosing an idea group as well. Things like these. I also doubt you'll have a ton of save games because it overwrites so you'll only have one, and Steam syncs with the cloud whenever it goes online.

I wouldn't bother with Ironman mode. Some cheese is bound to happen like EU3 where you accidentally accept some cruddy peace deal or comet sighted.

Comet sighted is simply bad luck that should be accepted (with or without cursing person who invented this event ;) ), but some accidental choices are seriously annoying. For example, what if accidentally I accept peace offer from some minor I just DOWed, which wants me to pay him all my money, become his vassal and change faith? Even in Ironman mode there should be possibility to revert last decision.

The cloud synchronizes after exiting the game, not after every save. And if they do this well, then yes, there will be a quick save after every change in the game (mission selected, decission, action, etc.).

Comet sighted is simply bad luck that should be accepted (with or without cursing person who invented this event ;) ), but some accidental choices are seriously annoying. For example, what if accidentally I accept peace offer from some minor I just DOWed, which wants me to pay him all my money, become his vassal and change faith? Even in Ironman mode there should be possibility to revert last decision.

Just be careful. Ironman XCOM doesn't forgive missclicks! (I hope) Neither does EU4.

Last edited:
I could have sworn we had already had a long and fruitful thread on the subject... Guess nobody bothers to search anymore. :closedeyes:

What I am worried about is that will I have to play for another half an hour when I want to go to bed since I can't save the game.

You seem to misunderstand the concept of Ironman. One save - one load. You can save the game at any time you wish - by closing the game. As we have already discussed to death in the old thread, this is not a foolproof system and nor is it intended to be. It is still very much a gentleman's system with plenty of holes for exploitation.

Uploading shouldn't be a problem either - judging by how the cloud works, uploading will only happen when you close the game, so you'll only have a single savegame upload per session (And most likely heavily compressed, since savegames are entirely plaintext and easy to compress down to 10%)

Play Ironman, and if you want an emergency backup before anything drastic happens you can take a manual backup of the savegame when it's sitting around in your folder (assuming it is still there and not entirely out of reach in the cloud) while the game is paused. Granted this would negate the fun of it but yes with a lot happening on the screen sometimes you push that wrong button which results in hellish consequences.

The worst misclick I've ever had in a Paradox game was pretty much closing a pop up message before I could read it.

Mine was accepting peace deal ceding half of my territory to OPM and changing my faith to Catholic (from Orthodox). I don't know what I'd do if not possibility to load a game.

Play Ironman, and if you want an emergency backup before anything drastic happens you can take a manual backup of the savegame when it's sitting around in your folder (assuming it is still there and not entirely out of reach in the cloud) while the game is paused. Granted this would negate the fun of it but yes with a lot happening on the screen sometimes you push that wrong button which results in hellish consequences.

It won't be anywhere to back-up. It is entirely in memory and then the cloud.

The problem is size of savegame files. If it will be around in EU3's files, sadly i won't give a shoot about ironmod because i can't wait for saving and uploading every a few minutes.

addition: save and exit won't work. *cough* *cough* alt+f4 *cough*.

The problem is size of savegame files. If it will be around in EU3's files, sadly i won't give a shoot about ironmod because i can't wait for saving and uploading every a few minutes.

addition: save and exit won't work. *cough* *cough* alt+f4 *cough*.

In windows:
ctrl+shift+esc > processes > EU4 > end process

But I think this is not going to work for decisions/peace deals miss clicks because the game auto-saves (you could actually corrupt the save file so don't do it immediately after a decision).
So the best way is to create a script that automatically back-ups the save if you press a keyboard shortcut or an icon in the desktop and if something happens you simply change the save files.

...and upload speeds are bad.

I'm pretty sure you won't upload your save to the steam cloud the second you do something, in all other steam games that use the cloud, it stores your save then uploads it when you stop playing.