• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, Netherlands will become an independent nation when they got themselves historically free. Before that, they are just part of Burgundy first, then Spain, not even vassals.

Well, Netherlands will become an independent nation when they got themselves historically free. Before that, they are just part of Burgundy first, then Spain, not even vassals.
Well, Netherlands might become an independent nation when they got themselves historically free. Before that, they are just part of Burgundy first and, if they have a heir problem, they are inherited by the HRE

ps: But, you can begin the game as Burgundy, and, form the Kingdom od Netherlands if you want.

Or start at a later date and play as Netherlands. Or import your Duchy of Holland from CK2 and teach that King of Frisia and his Holy Roman Emperor a lesson.

ps: But, you can begin the game as Burgundy, and, form the Kingdom od Netherlands if you want.

I'm curious about this actually. Can Burgundy form the Netherlands, or France? I know it could in EU3 but ideas might complicate things. If it can, does it keep Burgundian ideas? Or switch to Dutch/French ones? Same would go for the Teutonic Order forming Prussia, etc.

I'm assuming you cannot form France/Netherlands as Burgundy, or if you can you'd keep the Burgundian ideas. Oh well, I guess we'll find out in a week.

In the inevitable expansion to an earlier date, they will be. It was much easier forming the Netherlands with Holland starting in 1399 than with one of the other Dutch minors at another time.

EDIT: I assume you can form France as Burgundy (but any Burgundy fan wouldn't want to!) but not the Netherlands unless you did a culture switch.

I'm curious about this actually. Can Burgundy form the Netherlands, or France? I know it could in EU3 but ideas might complicate things. If it can, does it keep Burgundian ideas? Or switch to Dutch/French ones? Same would go for the Teutonic Order forming Prussia, etc.

I'm assuming you cannot form France/Netherlands as Burgundy, or if you can you'd keep the Burgundian ideas. Oh well, I guess we'll find out in a week.

Well, I remember a special decision to do so, so, I read the DD about Burgundy and the Netherlands http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...s-IV-Developer-diary-26-A-smoke-and-a-pancake but, somehow, I find nothing about it.

Burgundian is in the French culture group, so they can form France but not the Netherlands without a culture switch. It would be weak for gameplay reasons too, because they only need to take over a couple of Dutch minors.

Form France? France already exists - There is nothing to form.

Burgundy is able to form the Netherlands, but will lose cores doing so.

Decision event - Just like England forming the UK.

Form France? France already exists - There is nothing to form.

Burgundy is able to form the Netherlands, but will lose cores doing so.

If you are playing Burgundy and Paris is French, then you are not doing it right. :D

If you are playing Burgundy and Paris is French, then you are not doing it right. :D

Perhaps not - But talking of forming France is just silly. :D

Why is forming France as Burgundy silly? In Crusader Kings terms, it's like the Duke of Burgundy claiming the throne of his French king and winning. I prefer to play a different sort of Burgundy, however, and definitely keep the cooler map colour.

It's this talking of forming the Netherlands as Burgundy that's just wrong. Unless you switch your culture you can't do this; to be the Dutch you have to be Dutch. Take a look at the EU3 event code, and nothing from any EU4 material I've seen says it's changed.

Code:
	netherlands_nation = {
		potential = {
			NOT = { exists = NED }
			NOT = { tag = PAP }
			NOT = { tag = HRE }
			OR = {
				primary_culture = dutch
				primary_culture = flemish
			}

This is a month old beta timelapse in observer mode but Netherlands managed to form by mid 1567.

[video=youtube;QF337DKa6d0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF337DKa6d0[/video]

Why is forming France as Burgundy silly? In Crusader Kings terms, it's like the Duke of Burgundy claiming the throne of his French king and winning. I prefer to play a different sort of Burgundy, however, and definitely keep the cooler map colour.

It's this talking of forming the Netherlands as Burgundy that's just wrong. Unless you switch your culture you can't do this; to be the Dutch you have to be Dutch. Take a look at the EU3 event code, and nothing from any EU4 material I've seen says it's changed.

Code:
	netherlands_nation = {
		potential = {
			NOT = { exists = NED }
			NOT = { tag = PAP }
			NOT = { tag = HRE }
			OR = {
				primary_culture = dutch
				primary_culture = flemish
			}

I think you are not understanding, both Illanair and me remember of this special decision, so, unless we both are crazy, I guess that this decision must have been presented somewhere and supressed later, or maybe something else.