+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is holland independent?

Is holland independent?

Will in EU4 holland be independent? Because I'm planning to play in a mp game and I can't be a vassal according to the rules.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionHoi 2 Beta500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Well, Netherlands will become an independent nation when they got themselves historically free. Before that, they are just part of Burgundy first, then Spain, not even vassals.
    My latest AARs

Portugal- an Empire Under the Sun: Questing for the new world and taking the old world.

de Hautevilles- Can Anyone Stop the Norman Invasion?: A tale of Normans in Southern Italy. Completed!

No. Mostly cause its apart of first Burgundy then the Netherlands for most of recorded history.

Ow okay, then I will have to find another country perhaps, thank you both for the fast response.

A mod can close this btw.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    March of the EaglesSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Quote Originally Posted by hjarg View Post
    Well, Netherlands will become an independent nation when they got themselves historically free. Before that, they are just part of Burgundy first, then Spain, not even vassals.
    Well, Netherlands might become an independent nation when they got themselves historically free. Before that, they are just part of Burgundy first and, if they have a heir problem, they are inherited by the HRE

ps: But, you can begin the game as Burgundy, and, form the Kingdom od Netherlands if you want.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India Company
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Majesty II CollectionEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled

Or start at a later date and play as Netherlands. Or import your Duchy of Holland from CK2 and teach that King of Frisia and his Holy Roman Emperor a lesson.
    There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain.

Charles André Joseph Marie De Gaulle

Darkest HourDeus VultDivine WindFor the MotherlandVictoria II: A House Divided
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Hargrave View Post
    ps: But, you can begin the game as Burgundy, and, form the Kingdom od Netherlands if you want.
    I'm curious about this actually. Can Burgundy form the Netherlands, or France? I know it could in EU3 but ideas might complicate things. If it can, does it keep Burgundian ideas? Or switch to Dutch/French ones? Same would go for the Teutonic Order forming Prussia, etc.

I'm assuming you cannot form France/Netherlands as Burgundy, or if you can you'd keep the Burgundian ideas. Oh well, I guess we'll find out in a week.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

In the inevitable expansion to an earlier date, they will be. It was much easier forming the Netherlands with Holland starting in 1399 than with one of the other Dutch minors at another time.

EDIT: I assume you can form France as Burgundy (but any Burgundy fan wouldn't want to!) but not the Netherlands unless you did a culture switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ograv View Post
    I'm curious about this actually. Can Burgundy form the Netherlands, or France? I know it could in EU3 but ideas might complicate things. If it can, does it keep Burgundian ideas? Or switch to Dutch/French ones? Same would go for the Teutonic Order forming Prussia, etc.

I'm assuming you cannot form France/Netherlands as Burgundy, or if you can you'd keep the Burgundian ideas. Oh well, I guess we'll find out in a week.
    Well, I remember a special decision to do so, so, I read the DD about Burgundy and the Netherlands http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...-and-a-pancake but, somehow, I find nothing about it.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Burgundian is in the French culture group, so they can form France but not the Netherlands without a culture switch. It would be weak for gameplay reasons too, because they only need to take over a couple of Dutch minors.

A Game of DwarvesCities in MotionCrusader Kings IISword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    War of the RosesV2 BetaKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEUIV: Call to arms event
    Warlock 2: The Exiled

Form France? France already exists - There is nothing to form.

Burgundy is able to form the Netherlands, but will lose cores doing so.
    I also go by Mansen in the Steam groups.

"I understand making a converter takes effort [...] should be free!!
    Maybe the game studio "Paradox" is named in honor of its fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Illanair View Post

But, do you mean with a culture switch, or wiath a special decision ?

A Game of DwarvesCities in MotionCrusader Kings IISword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    War of the RosesV2 BetaKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEUIV: Call to arms event

Decision event - Just like England forming the UK.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India Company
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Majesty II CollectionEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled

If you are playing Burgundy and Paris is French, then you are not doing it right.
    There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain.

Charles André Joseph Marie De Gaulle

Decision event - Just like England forming the UK.
    Well, I remember this decision, but I don't see any trace of it as well though I'm sure of having read about it. Do you have a DD or anywherre when this decision is written ? (Because I think I'm gonna get crazy if I don't see any proof I'm not crazy, yeah.)

Quote Originally Posted by Brownbeard View Post
    If you are playing Burgundy and Paris is French, then you are not doing it right.
    Perhaps not - But talking of forming France is just silly.

Why is forming France as Burgundy silly? In Crusader Kings terms, it's like the Duke of Burgundy claiming the throne of his French king and winning. I prefer to play a different sort of Burgundy, however, and definitely keep the cooler map colour.

It's this talking of forming the Netherlands as Burgundy that's just wrong. Unless you switch your culture you can't do this; to be the Dutch you have to be Dutch. Take a look at the EU3 event code, and nothing from any EU4 material I've seen says it's changed.

Code:
    	netherlands_nation = {
    		potential = {
    			NOT = { exists = NED }
    			NOT = { tag = PAP }
    			NOT = { tag = HRE }
    			OR = {
    				primary_culture = dutch
    				primary_culture = flemish
    			}

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourIron Cross
    March of the EaglesRome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India
    Crusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of War

This is a month old beta timelapse in observer mode but Netherlands managed to form by mid 1567.

Only the dead have seen the end of war ~ Plato

"There is no joy without Clan Donald. There is no strength to be without them!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nilmerf View Post
    Why is forming France as Burgundy silly? In Crusader Kings terms, it's like the Duke of Burgundy claiming the throne of his French king and winning. I prefer to play a different sort of Burgundy, however, and definitely keep the cooler map colour.

It's this talking of forming the Netherlands as Burgundy that's just wrong. Unless you switch your culture you can't do this; to be the Dutch you have to be Dutch. Take a look at the EU3 event code, and nothing from any EU4 material I've seen says it's changed.

Code:
    	netherlands_nation = {
    		potential = {
    			NOT = { exists = NED }
    			NOT = { tag = PAP }
    			NOT = { tag = HRE }
    			OR = {
    				primary_culture = dutch
    				primary_culture = flemish
    			}
    I think you are not understanding, both Illanair and me remember of this special decision, so, unless we both are crazy, I guess that this decision must have been presented somewhere and supressed later, or maybe something else.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast