• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Byzan

Colonel
31 Badges
Oct 1, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
If I may ask, just looking into Old Norse stuff, why is the Reformed Norse Church called the Fylkirate and the head of the Church called the Fylkir?

Apparently the word Fylkir means King, or is one of the many words that means King (like Konungr) - and I'm wondering why this is the off-branch. Th Slavic, Tengri, Sumo, Romuvan, and West African paganisms all have a " X_Church", X being that paganism. But the Norse are different, and I'm trying to find out why the word Fylkir, and why it appears on the user's name prior to anything else. Like Emperor, or King.

Why the title is Fylkir I have no idea, but Norse have different name for there religious head's title because the DLC is focused around them. Also Fylkir is the main title because of its significance you are literally the leader of an entire religion its the same for the Caliphs, look at the Abbasids they have an Empire title but the Caliphate is recognized as there main title because of its significance.

I sometimes wonder if localisations are necessary for that title. I'm currently intending to retake Britain for the Celts and will convert to Norse paganism (paganism was paganism - few differences there, and as Brythonic paganism is long gone I thought a Celtic version of Germanic would be close enough. My worry is being called the "Fylkir" upon reforming and becoming a Celtic emperor of Brittania. It would feel so out of place.

If I may ask, just looking into Old Norse stuff, why is the Reformed Norse Church called the Fylkirate and the head of the Church called the Fylkir?

Apparently the word Fylkir means King, or is one of the many words that means King (like Konungr) - and I'm wondering why this is the off-branch. Th Slavic, Tengri, Sumo, Romuvan, and West African paganisms all have a " X_Church", X being that paganism. But the Norse are different, and I'm trying to find out why the word Fylkir, and why it appears on the user's name prior to anything else. Like Emperor, or King.
The Tengri could be the Church of the Eternal Sky or the Eternal Sky Church. Maybe some other religions should have a Caliph-like title. And, a good flavour thing would be a "Great Holy Warrior" trait, akin to "Crusader" and "Mujjahedin". Why the Fylkir is the title of the Norse controller:
The expansion is centered on the Norse (being waaaayyyy overdone, but in the end actually less powerfull than the Slavs, Finns and Balts), second coming in is Zoroastriansm (Which is extremely fun, but I believe should have been a separate LoR-like expansion entirely), and the rest follow afterwards with the Slavs having one extra event in the Pagan feasts and the Mongols (ONLY the Mongols, not all Tengriists) having a unique feast - Nerge, akin to the Norse Blot.

The Tengri could be the Church of the Eternal Sky or the Eternal Sky Church. Maybe some other religions should have a Caliph-like title. And, a good flavour thing would be a "Great Holy Warrior" trait, akin to "Crusader" and "Mujjahedin". Why the Fylkir is the title of the Norse controller:
The expansion is centered on the Norse (being waaaayyyy overdone, but in the end actually less powerfull than the Slavs, Finns and Balts), second coming in is Zoroastriansm (Which is extremely fun, but I believe should have been a separate LoR-like expansion entirely), and the rest follow afterwards with the Slavs having one extra event in the Pagan feasts and the Mongols (ONLY the Mongols, not all Tengriists) having a unique feast - Nerge, akin to the Norse Blot.

Huh, I thought in the developer diaries they said that all Tengriists would have the Nerge

Here are some of the possible alternate names for heads of pagan churches that we brainstormed in this thread http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-Pagan-Holy-Books-and-Head-Priests&highlight= a few months ago

Darn.

I guess everything else has to be of our creation, be it in AAR form or Mod form?

Well, Ols and I are making a flavour mod with more culture based localisation, so it's likely that we will include it.

I have been using an online Old Norse dictionary for character names for my ruler designer norse characters (i spend hours making characters x.x), and fylkir appears to be the old norse word for "high priest" in my sources. Maybe that just came out as king due to it's similarity to a prime minister-esque title?

I have been using an online Old Norse dictionary for character names for my ruler designer norse characters (i spend hours making characters x.x), and fylkir appears to be the old norse word for "high priest" in my sources. Maybe that just came out as king due to it's similarity to a prime minister-esque title?
Another meaning of it was supposedly King of the People.

Another meaning of it was supposedly King of the People.
With 'fylk' as in 'folk', IIRC, like modern Norwegian 'Fylke'. Not sure where the -ir part's from. An agent suffix, perhaps, or a cognate of Herr/Heer? Doesn't seem too likely, but then I sadly don't know as much about (morphological shifts of) Northern Germanic languages as I'd like.

The answser is easy actually.

Developers are form Sweden, so they wanted some pseduo-unique staff to their past religon. :D
Johan Andersson has formed the title Kingdom of Sweden. :D