+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ..Fylkir

..Fylkir

If I may ask, just looking into Old Norse stuff, why is the Reformed Norse Church called the Fylkirate and the head of the Church called the Fylkir?

Apparently the word Fylkir means King, or is one of the many words that means King (like Konungr) - and I'm wondering why this is the off-branch. Th Slavic, Tengri, Sumo, Romuvan, and West African paganisms all have a " X_Church", X being that paganism. But the Norse are different, and I'm trying to find out why the word Fylkir, and why it appears on the user's name prior to anything else. Like Emperor, or King.
    "If Humanity does not end war, War shall end humanity."
    __________________________________________________ _

The Phoenix Rises - A Palaiologos AAR, CK2 -> EUIV

Southern Byzantophile Imperator1993's Avatar
    Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneIron CrossEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Pride of NationsRise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Why the title is Fylkir I have no idea, but Norse have different name for there religious head's title because the DLC is focused around them. Also Fylkir is the main title because of its significance you are literally the leader of an entire religion its the same for the Caliphs, look at the Abbasids they have an Empire title but the Caliphate is recognized as there main title because of its significance.
    Current AAR
    Legacy of the Conqueror- An AGoT Targaryen AAR
    Upcoming- Fat man in the Garden- An AGoT Tyrell AAR

Kaiser Christoph of the Holy Roman Empire of Dixieland
    Culture: Dixie/(North) German
    Religion: Non Denominational Protestant
    Traits: Brilliant Strategist, Quick, Strong, Attractive, Clubfooted, Legitimized Bastard, Scarred, Scholar, Kind, Brave, Shy, Just, Slothful, Honest, Gluttonous, Patient, Sympathy for Islam, Sympathy for Pagans, Sympathy for Zoroastrians

2nd Knight and Chancellor of the Order of Southern Paradoxians

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMajesty II CollectionRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderTeleglitch: Die More Edition

I sometimes wonder if localisations are necessary for that title. I'm currently intending to retake Britain for the Celts and will convert to Norse paganism (paganism was paganism - few differences there, and as Brythonic paganism is long gone I thought a Celtic version of Germanic would be close enough. My worry is being called the "Fylkir" upon reforming and becoming a Celtic emperor of Brittania. It would feel so out of place.

Emperor of Upper Shaving SBolshevik's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Quote Originally Posted by Byzan View Post
    If I may ask, just looking into Old Norse stuff, why is the Reformed Norse Church called the Fylkirate and the head of the Church called the Fylkir?

Apparently the word Fylkir means King, or is one of the many words that means King (like Konungr) - and I'm wondering why this is the off-branch. Th Slavic, Tengri, Sumo, Romuvan, and West African paganisms all have a " X_Church", X being that paganism. But the Norse are different, and I'm trying to find out why the word Fylkir, and why it appears on the user's name prior to anything else. Like Emperor, or King.
    The Tengri could be the Church of the Eternal Sky or the Eternal Sky Church. Maybe some other religions should have a Caliph-like title. And, a good flavour thing would be a "Great Holy Warrior" trait, akin to "Crusader" and "Mujjahedin". Why the Fylkir is the title of the Norse controller:
    The expansion is centered on the Norse (being waaaayyyy overdone, but in the end actually less powerfull than the Slavs, Finns and Balts), second coming in is Zoroastriansm (Which is extremely fun, but I believe should have been a separate LoR-like expansion entirely), and the rest follow afterwards with the Slavs having one extra event in the Pagan feasts and the Mongols (ONLY the Mongols, not all Tengriists) having a unique feast - Nerge, akin to the Norse Blot.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsRome GoldVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by SBolshevik View Post
    The Tengri could be the Church of the Eternal Sky or the Eternal Sky Church. Maybe some other religions should have a Caliph-like title. And, a good flavour thing would be a "Great Holy Warrior" trait, akin to "Crusader" and "Mujjahedin". Why the Fylkir is the title of the Norse controller:
    The expansion is centered on the Norse (being waaaayyyy overdone, but in the end actually less powerfull than the Slavs, Finns and Balts), second coming in is Zoroastriansm (Which is extremely fun, but I believe should have been a separate LoR-like expansion entirely), and the rest follow afterwards with the Slavs having one extra event in the Pagan feasts and the Mongols (ONLY the Mongols, not all Tengriists) having a unique feast - Nerge, akin to the Norse Blot.
    Huh, I thought in the developer diaries they said that all Tengriists would have the Nerge

Here are some of the possible alternate names for heads of pagan churches that we brainstormed in this thread http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...sts&highlight= a few months ago

Crusader Kings II

Quote Originally Posted by anomanderus View Post
    Huh, I thought in the developer diaries they said that all Tengriists would have the Nerge

Here are some of the possible alternate names for heads of pagan churches that we brainstormed in this thread http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...sts&highlight= a few months ago
    Nope, only the Mongols.

Darn.

I guess everything else has to be of our creation, be it in AAR form or Mod form?
    "If Humanity does not end war, War shall end humanity."
    __________________________________________________ _

The Phoenix Rises - A Palaiologos AAR, CK2 -> EUIV

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsRome GoldVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Byzan View Post
    Darn.

I guess everything else has to be of our creation, be it in AAR form or Mod form?
    Yes, since paradox ignored our suggestions for improved pagan church head names.

Crusader Kings II

Well, Ols and I are making a flavour mod with more culture based localisation, so it's likely that we will include it.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneRome Gold
    Victoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

I have been using an online Old Norse dictionary for character names for my ruler designer norse characters (i spend hours making characters x.x), and fylkir appears to be the old norse word for "high priest" in my sources. Maybe that just came out as king due to it's similarity to a prime minister-esque title?
    "We were undone because of you. Every day, every day, in the dark, in the dawn, forever, r-r-rip, r-r-rip, r-r-rub, r-r-rub, right in our faces, because of you."

Crusader Kings II

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerai View Post
    I have been using an online Old Norse dictionary for character names for my ruler designer norse characters (i spend hours making characters x.x), and fylkir appears to be the old norse word for "high priest" in my sources. Maybe that just came out as king due to it's similarity to a prime minister-esque title?
    Another meaning of it was supposedly King of the People.

Another meaning of it was supposedly King of the People.
    With 'fylk' as in 'folk', IIRC, like modern Norwegian 'Fylke'. Not sure where the -ir part's from. An agent suffix, perhaps, or a cognate of Herr/Heer? Doesn't seem too likely, but then I sadly don't know as much about (morphological shifts of) Northern Germanic languages as I'd like.

The answser is easy actually.

Developers are form Sweden, so they wanted some pseduo-unique staff to their past religon.

Crusader Kings II

Quote Originally Posted by Rozmarzony View Post
    The answser is easy actually.

Developers are form Sweden, so they wanted some pseduo-unique staff to their past religon.
    Johan Andersson has formed the title Kingdom of Sweden.

+ Reply to Thread