• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Logically, I would suspect HoI4 is the next big announcement as #3 has been around a while, they now have a new DLC policy, and -as far as I am aware - HoI is a very big money maker for the company.

However, if they have said it's going to be something completley new, then it could be anybodies guess, though a WW1 game would make commercial sense, though frankly it is a war that no one has ever really made a decent game out of. A long shot would be a classical era game that ends around the death of Alexander.

Logically, I would suspect HoI4 is the next big announcement as #3 has been around a while, they now have a new DLC policy, and -as far as I am aware - HoI is a very big money maker for the company.

However, if they have said it's going to be something completley new, then it could be anybodies guess, though a WW1 game would make commercial sense, though frankly it is a war that no one has ever really made a decent game out of. A long shot would be a classical era game that ends around the death of Alexander.

I remember some time ago someone asked if Paradox would make a WW1 game and Johan replied with a rather blunt "No." I'll see if I can find a link.

edit: here it is:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...d-WW1-game&p=14735819&viewfull=1#post14735819

Last edited:
I remember some time ago someone asked if Paradox would make a WW1 game and Johan replied with a rather blunt "No." I'll see if I can find a link.

edit: here it is:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...d-WW1-game&p=14735819&viewfull=1#post14735819

Yeah, I remember this now you mention it. As I said, it's an incredibly hard war to make a game out of. It might work on a tactical level, but that would be something more in Matrix games field then paradox, and would require a very good AI or accesible multiplayer option.

Well, no doubt they will surprise us with something unexpected!

East vs West

Fair enough, really I don't think anyone exactly knows the relationship, aside from devs.
we don't know who does what and when. It does not really concern us, we know only what they have told us. Which is that paradox development studio does not develop it. On the other hand we know that paradox interactive has some business with the EvW, marketing for sure.

If you watch the AMA from yesterday, where Johan says there are three new games in the works, one is clearly HoI4. He says there's five teams. A CK2 DLC team. An EU4 DLC team. And three new games. Two will be announced at PDXCon. One he said we'd be really excited for, one won't be announced for a long time, but the middle one he said we'd all say "oh, I knew you were doing that one". Elsewhere he made it pretty clear that Vicky3 isn't even in the works, and nobody is working on Rome2.

I don't see how anything but HoI4 would qualify for "oh, I knew you were working on that."

It's 'Blizzard will announce their next game in Korea' clear. Which to me is great news, can you imagine the changes we've seen from Vicky1-2, CK1-2 and EU3-4 being applied to HoI3? It'll be amazing. I do have one request - don't make me run my own airforce, or make it similar to trade in EU4. I don't want to have to monitor my planes all the time or have them torn to pieces and pick all the missions. I want something like the tradeships knowing when to repair.

Let's think about what the exciting project will be.

It apparently won't be:
-Rome 2
-HoI4 (if it's separately semi-confirmed)
-Victoria 3
-EU5/CK3

I could be wrong on this, but I'd be surprised if it was a smaller tier-style project if he was using that language.

If it's not Rome 2, I'd be sort of surprised if it was anything else pre-CK2.

I'd also be surprised if it was set near the present, given that East vs. West is coming.

Any guesses?

Johan said something like:
"One of the projects is something that people say 'I know you were going to do that' " = HOI4
"Others might surprise people" = Supersecret

Based on the negations below "supersecret" is really going to be something surprising. With almost everything ruled out there seems to be four possibilities:
1) Ancient era (pre-roman times)
2) Fantasy
3) Game based on timeframe of current games but with a new game-mechanic twist (EU: Colonization or EU:patrician or...)
4) PDS have screwed us by giving misleading information

================================================== ==================================================
UPDATED list so far (17.9.2013). "Supersecret" is:
1) Not Rome 2 (LINK)
2) Not Dark Ages (LINK)
3) Not WW1 (LINK)
4) Not Cold war (East vs west in the works)
5) Not Space 4x (LINK)
6) Not HOI4 (LINK)
7) Not a continuation of any current title (HOI, EU, ROME, VIC)
8) Not any period after the cold war (LINK)

NOTE: Nothing in this list is quaranteed fact. Just lowered probability. "Supersecret" could still be Rome 2
================================================== ==================================================

Last edited:
rome with battles style marchs of the eagles,historical generals with his historical portraits,variety of historical units with historical uniforms and weapons,historical events in campaign,all graphical improvements that paradox has achieved these years in their games and more things that make this paradox game the best game of all.

PI bought rights from SPI/AH for a space type board game which is NOT 4x. So the supersecret project that will surprise everyone is going to be a comupter version of....

Freedom In The Galaxy

Johan said something like:
"One of the projects is something that people say 'I know you were going to do that' " = HOI4
"Others might surprise people" = Supersecret

Based on the negations below "supersecret" is really going to be something surprising. With almost everything ruled out there seems to be four possibilities:
1) Ancient era (pre-roman times)
2) Fantasy
3) Game based on timeframe of current games but with a new game-mechanic twist (EU: Colonization or EU:patrician or...)
4) PDS have screwed us by giving misleading information

UPDATED list so far (17.9.2013). "Supersecret" is:
1) Not Rome 2 (LINK)
2) Not Dark Ages (LINK)
3) Not WW1 (LINK)
4) Not Cold war (East vs west in the works)
5) Not Space 4x (LINK)
6) Not HOI4 (LINK)
7) Not a continuation of any current title (HOI, EU, ROME, VIC)
8) Not any period after the cold war (LINK)

NOTE: Nothing in this list is quaranteed fact. Just lowered probability. "Supersecret" could still be Rome 2

Could you provide the source for these?

In any case, I'm starting to lean towards.. fantasy? It might make sense as a follow-up to CK2, and they've never done anything like that before, which would be interesting. I'd be surprised if they did a pre-Roman game instead of Rome 2 or a current timeframe game done differently. On the former, I just don't see the point of doing something pre-Roman instead of Rome 2. The Roman era is probably the earliest era that their games would work well with, and there's such in-built enthusiasm both for that era and for EU: Rome as a game.

That basically just leaves the question of whether this secret project will be "smaller tier" like Sengoku or March of the Eagles. Personally, I'm doubting that. I don't think either Sengoku or March really did the kinds of business PDS looks for nowadays. If it's not smaller tier and it's not pre-Rome (and your other eliminations are correct), fantasy quickly seems like one the last remaining possibilities.

Could you provide the source for these?

In any case, I'm starting to lean towards.. fantasy? It might make sense as a follow-up to CK2, and they've never done anything like that before, which would be interesting. I'd be surprised if they did a pre-Roman game instead of Rome 2 or a current timeframe game done differently. On the former, I just don't see the point of doing something pre-Roman instead of Rome 2. The Roman era is probably the earliest era that their games would work well with, and there's such in-built enthusiasm both for that era and for EU: Rome as a game.

That basically just leaves the question of whether this secret project will be "smaller tier" like Sengoku or March of the Eagles. Personally, I'm doubting that. I don't think either Sengoku or March really did the kinds of business PDS looks for nowadays. If it's not smaller tier and it's not pre-Rome (and your other eliminations are correct), fantasy quickly seems like one the last remaining possibilities.

Updated the links to the previous post. Well, Johan said in the ama that they will not do small games. "Supersecret" has also been in development for over a year when it will be revealed (+ probably well over half a year to release), so it doesn't sound like a small game.

Fantasy does seem more and more likely, but still I somehow doubt it.

What about a game based in the present?

I think (8) "not any period after cold war" negates that possibility.

Do you think a present day game could even work? I think the biggest problems would be that 1) old imperialism is dead. There is still sphereing but the great powers are not trying to pain everything their color through war. 2) Modern day economics are very very hard to put into a game and be realistic. And 3) This game would be offensive to everyone and people would get upset about it. You could not have a game like this where people were not shouting even more than normal. "My country should be stronger." "This could never realistically happen" If you dared to attack my country we would use photon cannons and blow u guys up!!!"