• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

bbasgen

Field Marshal
63 Badges
Jul 12, 2005
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Achtung Panzer
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
I am playing as the ottoman's in 1870, and I have a malus of 303.0 colonial power points in something described as "Power tied up in maintenance". What exactly does this mean? I have annexed all of Egypt at this point, so I do have a fair number of "colonies" that I am unable to turn into states. Is this due to those territories? If so, has any game mechanic been introduced in HOD that makes it *possible* to turn colonies into states; e.g. where immigration actually works and you can bring some of your culture group to a state to have a chance to create enough bureaucrats?

Yes, it's those colonies that your points are tied up maintaining. Unless you can get enough CP free, those colonies will never become states. It's possible to make them states once that happens, but I'll let others speak as to how likely that is.

Actually, it is possible, but quite unlikely. I've found what helps is having Bureacracy spending extremely low (sometimes 0%, if you can afford to lose a few at home), until the colony loses all bureaucrats. Now, you need to have a tiny population of accepted culture there, farmers or soldiers or what-have-you, even a hundred or so. Then focus on bureaucrats and they'll become accepted culture.
It often is impossible in conquered colonies, but very doable in created colonies. In conquered colonies it is possible but reducing the local bureaucrats to 0 is pretty difficult in most cases.

Bureacrats to 1% of population of Accepted Culture makes them ELIGIBLE to become States in your Empire. To actually make them states requires Colonial Power Points. This was a concept that was implemented with HOD DLC/Expansion. To get more Colonial Power Points Simple more ships in Navy and Build the bigger Naval Bases to build Better Ships. BTW Level 3 Naval Bases in ALL Coastal States in Home Country and Spam Ironclads.

This topic has been discussed to Death......just look back a few pages........

If so, has any game mechanic been introduced in HOD that makes it *possible* to turn colonies into states
I can assure you that I've managed to convert some quite populous African colonies into states as NGF or GER in HoD - in some cases, without even applying a 'crat or Immigration focus to the colony.

Best solution to this I could come up with would be to add a way to invest colonial points into your immigration national focus and hope to make it actually effective enough to do something.

it's quite possible to transform colonies into states, if you have enough growth your pops will migrate, some assimilation will occur etc. Most European nations can turn a few of their colonies into states, but not 2 years after conquering/claiming them. Same with the ottos.
In fact in the case of the ottomans, turning egypt into states will worsen your literacy rate and that's the last thing you want, moreover 300 points is not much considering the number of naval bases you have as OE. Every empire can reach 1870 with a few hundreds colonial points tied in maintenance.

Still, between 1870 and 1900 you should be able to get a sizeable portion of Egypt as state (especially considering the AI is not very strong at focussing on bureaucrats so you don't have a lot of natives bureaucrats to outcompete)

To get Colonial Migration, you need your POPs at home to be dissatisfied, but not too dissatisfied. (If they're too dissatisfied, they choose Emigration instead of Colonial Migration.) Also, non-primary-culture POPs are significantly less likely to move to the colonies than primary-culture POPs.

Totally possible to create States.

IF, and that´s a BIG if, you have lots of primary POPs. So dutch are screwed. Russia on the other hand...

or china and india.:D

I wonder whether there is a cheat code for increasing colonial point or is changing the technology script the only way =_=??
Colonial power is calculated; if you want to give yourself more than your naval bases and spending all your naval supply capacity on Ironclads can provide, you'll have to create an event modifier and an event or decision to apply it.

Oh yeah, well, I find once Ironclads/Dreadnoughts/etc. are in play there's never any shortage of colonial points. I like having a big navy for a variety of reasons.