Just Passed GCSEs, Still Never Heard 'Holy Roman Empire' or 'Byzantine Empire/ERE'

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

PineconeKing

First Lieutenant
87 Badges
Feb 17, 2011
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Exactly what the title says. I'm 15, approaching 16, and I have just finished my GCSEs, the qualifications for finishing high school in the UK. I have gone throughout the entirety of Primary and Secondary school, and never even ONCE has ANY mention at all EVER been made to the Holy Roman Empire or the medieval-era Byzantines. Or the Seljuks, for that matter, or any of the Islamic caliphates. Or the Ottoman Empire. AT ALL. All my History classes have been (at set 1 level, the top level in high school) focused on, at primary school the Magna Carta and the Roman Empire (before the collapse), then in secondary school the mythology surrounding the foundation of Rome, the Feudal system and the Magna Carta in Year 7 (seriously? Mythology in History?), the Punic Wars, the Crusades and the native american tribes in Year 8, the build-up to WWI in Year 9, nothing in Year 10 (I took an option block wherein I did Geography in Year 10 and History in year 11 as my 'options' (beginning now in year 9 but orginally in year 10, some subjects are dropped and students are given choices on what classes to take although some are mandatory)) and America in the 1920s, America and race relations in the 50s and 60s, and Hitler's road to dictatorship in Year 11. But the HRE was never mentioned, despite being the main political entity in Europe during much of the medieval era. The Eastern Roman Empire and the split between East and West was never mentioned despite significant emphasis on the Romans in the education program. Muhammad's warlording-it-up and the ENORMOUS spread that Islam achieved in its early years never earned a passing mention. The Seljuk turks never even got a sniff. The entire unit about the leadup to WW1 managed to miraculously avoid the Ottoman Empire altogether. The Mongols were mentioned about twice, and got talked about more in my English class than in History. I mean, these nations/political entities changed the course of History massively, and most of my classmates have walked out of History forever not knowing a thing about them. Damn, one classmate said that at one time, the British empire spanned 'one third of the world', despite the complete implausible-ness of it. I'm just shocked that the state of education in the subject of History is so awful... *shudder*

The school program is not designed for history freaks but for the average person. Most of those will never have anything to do with history anymore in their life and will forget most of what they have studied. There are choices to be made and it looks like your school program focuses on a handful of major thematics relevant to the history of Britain : the Magna Carta, Britain in the Middle Ages, the colonization of America, the 1st and 2nd World wars. Those seem objectively more relevant to a British than the HRE in my opinion.

You could complete a doctorate in history without ever encountering the HRE or Byzantines. There are several thousand years of recorded history, and more we've learnt through archaeology. That history spans the world. You can't learn all of it, and so there are going to be omissions. Some will seem glaring. Have you covered the history of India or China? It's crucial to billions of today's population, key to so many of the developments in the west, after all. But what would you drop to learn about that instead?

And get used to high school not even covering the basics. Your whole year of GCSE studies might cover the introduction paragraph of a 100 level university paper :p

Sounds like a good thing to me. The Byzantines are pretty boring. Did you ever hear the word 'Chartist'?

Just trying to imagine someone complaining: "Just passed GCSEs, still never heard 'Orhan Pamuk'!"

Last edited:
Damn, one classmate said that at one time, the British empire spanned 'one third of the world', despite the complete implausible-ness of it.

?

That's about right. One third of the world (by area) and one quarter of humanity.

I remember both the HRE briefly being mentioned and also the Ottomans (in WW1 briefly) but neither is massively relevant to the UK.

I assure you, if you choose early modern history at A-level, you will hear more than you ever wanted to know about the HRE. When I did GCSE, we covered the rise of Hitler, Medicine through time, Northern Ireland and a local history project on Kenilworth Castle

One thing I appreciate about my history lessons in school is that attention was paid to the historical geopolitical evolution in Europe. Like the splintering of the Frankish realm or the fate of the Byzantine empire after the fall of the western empire.

Of course there were some blind spots, like the existence of the Polish-Lithuanian kingdom wasn't covered but this is more of a historical footnote anyway.

GCSE's are, generally speaking, rewards given for turning up at a test and smearing the paper with ink in something that vaguely resembles English. You can go the entire course without paying attention, not do any work whatsoever and still come out with great grades simply by using common sense.

You'll like A level history more, though it's still a bit on the basic side.

I Germany we have.
French revolution French revolution French revolution French revolution French revolution French revolution French revolution French revolution French revolution French revolution French revolution French revolution French revolution French revolution French revolution French revolution

Thats the whole history of mankind, this and a few words on Nazi cruelties.

I Germany we have.
French revolution French revolution French revolution French revolution French revolution French revolution French revolution French revolution French revolution French revolution French revolution French revolution French revolution French revolution French revolution French revolution

Thats the whole history of mankind, this and a few words on Nazi cruelties.

French Revolution, Napoleon and the Third Reich at war kinda sounds like heaven to me.

French Revolution, Napoleon and the Third Reich at war kinda sounds like heaven to me.

After all this endless French revolution stuff I nailed my teacher and insisted on making a presentation about Napoleon. I was a creepy teenager I guess.

In Geography our new teacher wanted to expose me and challenged me to show England on the map. No kidding.

Funny, I went to school in France and in junior school we did study the Arabs and the Eastern Roman Empire in reasonable detail, along with lots of other things(the birth of civilization, Egypt, the biblical Jews, Greece, Rome, the typical feodal Middle Ages, the Great Discoveries, the French Revolution, and the both world wars). I do not remember going over the HRE in great detail but in the German classroom hang a gigantic map of the HRE in its full glory, with captions written in gothic letters, probably printed back in the Kaiserreich days. And in high school we again went through the whole of history, now focusing more on the social/political side of things(Greek democracy, industrial revolution...). We did the XXth century in detail, but without particular focus on "the nazis", instead we did stuff like how the official history/remembrance of WWII was constructed and reconstructed after the war(from post-war glorification to the questionings and criticism of the 70', then the rise of the Holocaust thematic in the 80'). All in all it looks like it wasn't the worst lot.

Funny, I went to school in France and in junior school we did study the Arabs and the Eastern Roman Empire in reasonable detail, along with lots of other things(the birth of civilization, Egypt, the biblical Jews, Greece, Rome, the typical feodal Middle Ages, the Great Discoveries, the French Revolution, and the both world wars). I do not remember going over the HRE in great detail but in the German classroom hang a gigantic map of the HRE in its full glory, with captions written in gothic letters, probably printed back in the Kaiserreich days. And in high school we again went through the whole of history, now focusing more on the social/political side of things(Greek democracy, industrial revolution...). We did the XXth century in detail, but without particular focus on "the nazis", instead we did stuff like how the official history/remembrance of WWII was constructed and reconstructed after the war(from post-war glorification to the questionings and criticism of the 70', then the rise of the Holocaust thematic in the 80'). All in all it looks like it wasn't the worst lot.

God I would have loved that.

Hmm, I think we had something like stone age -> Egyptians -> Rome -> Dutch golden age / 80yw (some vague musings about Spanish inheritance, nothing about HRE) -> getting Indonesia -> WW2 -> losing Indonesia.

I never heard about Dutch control of Ceylon or chunks of India before playing Europa Universalis (but we did hear about Nieuw Amsterdam, of course)

Sounds like my high school.